The grumpy thread

outlaw118

1 hour ago, Crackers said:

Surrey. Hampshire. Fucking hell man, sort your roads out. I've seen Argentinian* runways smoother than the tarmac around some of your most affluent areas... no wonder the residents all drive Range Rooneys, I really did worry about breaking my car on some of the potholes and that's strong coming from a Sussex resident!

The roads around me are quite bad too, the council decided to resurface one of the best roads for some reason and leave the bad ones, they have only just resurfaced on of the worst roads in my area which has needed doing for years, it goes over the hills, and they think that patching potholes every year is better than to do it properly and the cobbles are smoother than the patch work they have done. 

Oxfordshire roads are absolutely piss poor. I had forgotten how bad they were until I visited my mate there the other week. 

Another mate lives in Corby. Roads there are even worse, potholes everywhere. He reckons Northamptonshire County Council don't bother maintaining the roads in Corby because they can't be arsed, Corby is too shit. 

19 hours ago, MikeR said:

I which the Focus would decide if its dead or not ..  or I will .

last week it did 140 miles , on theM6 , up and down hill , did not miss a beat ..

went out today and as soon as I put my foot down , the clutch slipped ????

all I did was park it up and use another car over the weekend  ..

has it got a monk on or somat ??  , is it fooked or is some hydraulic gremlin at work   :confused ?

anyway the snazzy new Napa battery is now swapped out with some generic 063 clone  , ready to replace the Halfrauds special in the C1 , which going by the date codes appears to be the oldest battery we own despite being the newest purchase .    it also has the lowest CCA and capacity .

Maybe the clutch isn't fully engaging intermittently, i.e possibly sticking somehow. Whether that's master cylinder, slave cylinder, pressure plate etc is a different matter, could be anything in the system

14 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Maybe the clutch isn't fully engaging intermittently, i.e possibly sticking somehow. Whether that's master cylinder, slave cylinder, pressure plate etc is a different matter, could be anything in the system

my first thought was a blocked vent hole on the shared brake  fluid container , but that would affect the brakes as well ???

did some research and it is not unknown for the CSC in the middle of the clutch to play up and jam , either way up its a new clutch thats not going to happen .

peddle travel is good and the initial bite point is in a good place ..

apart from the worn rear brakes , the cracked screen , the dodgy clutch , the cambelt roulette , the oil burning , the eml complaining about the cat , the cars ok ...

mot is up in June and I can offer any parts before its scrapped ...

4 hours ago, Angrydicky said:

Another mate lives in Corby. Roads there are even worse, potholes everywhere. He reckons Northamptonshire County Council don't bother maintaining the roads in Corby because they can't be arsed, Corby is too shit. 

They've got a point.

9 minutes ago, MikeR said:

my first thought was a blocked vent hole on the shared brake  fluid container , but that would affect the brakes as well ???

did some research and it is not unknown for the CSC in the middle of the clutch to play up and jam , either way up its a new clutch thats not going to happen .

peddle travel is good and the initial bite point is in a good place ..

apart from the worn rear brakes , the cracked screen , the dodgy clutch , the cambelt roulette , the oil burning , the eml complaining about the cat , the cars ok ...

mot is up in June and I can offer any parts before its scrapped ...

It's a separate system, the clutch take off is before the brakes so an issue with the clutch may not strictly come hand in hand with brakes.

If it's biting ok sometimes then it definitely won't be the clutch disc itself so I'd concur it's an issue elsewhere, as you say probably within the clutch kit anyway 

What year is it? If it's a 52 plate or older an EML won't affect the MOT, but if it's on for cat performance it would likely fail on emmissions anyway

I hope for you that it holds out until June! 

2 minutes ago, barefoot said:

Nipped round to the shop for milk. Coming home as I engaged 1st gear the clutch made a comedy noise, as I engaged second it made an even funnier noise, the clutch engaged, but the pedal stayed on the floor. How I fucking laughed...

Maybe if you called it by its name more often, it wouldn't get so grumpy?

🤣

4 minutes ago, Bren said:

Susanna Reid interviewing the clown. Describes how a 77 year old gets on a bus to keep warm.

The clown takes credit for introducing freedom bus pass.

He simply gets worse.

"She should be grateful for her bus pass" .... !! (In a sense that's what he said 🙄)

Need a wheel balanced.

Can't get it balanced because the tread is near the wear bars.

Tire is worn because shock absorber is faulty.

Shock absorber is faulty because fuel pump was leaking.

Steering is off and wearing tire on one edge.

Front suspension needs rebuild.

Steering box lower bush needs changing.

Only full rebuild available, no spares for steering box.

For the want of a nail, the war was lost.

That, coupled with walking outside and looking at everything here has put me in a "screw it, sell it all" kind of mood

2 hours ago, Bren said:

Susanna Reid interviewing the clown. Describes how a 77 year old gets on a bus to keep warm.

The clown takes credit for introducing freedom bus pass.

He simply gets worse.

The c*nt who gorged himself on 27k worth of takeaway food during lockdown, he wouldn't know struggling if it smacked him on the arse   

Do people around here have to go on some special training to learn to drive like such assholes, or does it come naturally?

Also, what is the deal in the last couple of months with people turning off roundabouts while still signalling right? 

If you're going to make such a mess of signalling, just don't.  I can make a judgement call and guess where you're going then based on vehicle position etc...

Just seems to have started happening really regularly this last couple of months.

16 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Do people around here have to go on some special training to learn to drive like such assholes, or does it come naturally?

Also, what is the deal in the last couple of months with people turning off roundabouts while still signalling right? 

If you're going to make such a mess of signalling, just don't.  I can make a judgement call and guess where you're going then based on vehicle position etc...

Just seems to have started happening really regularly this last couple of months.

Please get a dash cam so we can all enjoy.🤣

37 minutes ago, Remspoor said:

Please get a dash cam so we can all enjoy.🤣

Given how near a near miss I was involved in just a few minutes ago on the A5 I am once again seriously considering it.

Takes a special kind of idiot to nearly cause a serious incident on a perfectly straight stretch of dual carriageway.

No surprises that they were driving an Audi TT.

Just really wish installation of a camera wouldn't be such a gigantic faff.

47 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Modern dashcams can be very easily installed.  They're not the enormous faff they used to be.

I concur. Most have a simple suction cup for the windscreen and plug into the cigarette lighter. Oh wait most modern cars don't have such old fangled things as a cigarette lighter 🙄

1 hour ago, andyberg said:

I concur. Most have a simple suction cup for the windscreen and plug into the cigarette lighter. Oh wait most modern cars don't have such old fangled things as a cigarette lighter 🙄

I guess part of it is that I have an absolute seething hatred of "stuff" strewn about the interior of my car.  Having cables running off from the 12V outlet is an absolute non starter.

Hence why basically half the interior would need to come apart for the install.

Must admit I'm the same. I wired my dashcam in properly I guess it took about an hour. Haven't used it yet, but judging by the amount of times my boss downloads our coach dash cams it won't be long. It's amazing how we get the blame for some misdemeanor on the road until my boss suggests to the accuser that he will check the cameras all around the coach. Then things go very quiet and he Nevers hears back from them.

14 minutes ago, andyberg said:

Must admit I'm the same. I wired my dashcam in properly I guess it took about an hour. Haven't used it yet, but judging by the amount of times my boss downloads our coach dash cams it won't be long. It's amazing how we get the blame for some misdemeanor on the road until my boss suggests to the accuser that he will check the cameras all around the coach. Then things go very quiet and he Nevers hears back from them.

That's why the one vehicle of mine that does have one is the camper.  It's the one which seems to be the biggest magnet for idiots...plus is the least likely to be able to evade trouble.

Plus it was the easiest to get apart for installation being basically a 70s commercial vehicle design.  Windscreen being about three and a half feet tall meant I could tuck the camera away behind the rear view mirror so it's basically invisible.

IMG_20220411_161829.thumb.jpg.da24de7bd8f4e9749d4704b4c9a2ad68.jpg

I get the feeling that getting the Caddy apart to install it will be more of a pain, because 90s VW.

Mair Marketplace fannies.

I posted up on Friday that I had been offering a single bed and mattress for free on Marketplace. SUZANNA promised to come at 6 to collect. After dismantling the bed and howfing  it down my awkward stair for her, I was royally patched.

So my wife thought she'd have a go at offering it on Marketplace for free instead. GEMMA said she'd be delighted to have it as she found herself in temporary housing and it would be for her 8 year old child. My wife also offered to throw in some very nice cushions for her. She thought she was doing someone a good turn. GEMMA said her brother would come for it in his Jeep at 7. Half past came and went and no further messages were read by her or responded to.  Patched and that was the second time today as well but I can't be arsed telling that story.

We've got a skip coming next week  and we are having a massive clear out. Since it seems to be impossible for me to try and help these people without them taking the cunt,  I'm planning on being fucking ruthless with stuff I don't want.

What's wrong with people?

2 hours ago, sheffcortinacentre said:

Re state of roads in the UK it's down to the fact that like everything else maintenance has been cut into the bone, a survey recently said that in syorks that if not one bit got worse it would take 10 years  at the current rate to fix them all !!!

Yep, but they will, of course, become rough tracks in those 10 years! At least some of our sink potholes get patched, after contact.