The grumpy thread

outlaw118

1 hour ago, Rust Collector said:

I've previously imported cars from Japan that were being sold having failed the test there, which then passed an MOT

The Japanese test prescribes the replacement of many parts, even when completely unworn, and the costs of that are so high that 6 or 8 year old cars are no longer worth putting through the test, and are sold for use elsewhere. I don't think that's a safety thing, just a way to keep the local production lines moving.

3 minutes ago, hennabm said:

It may “save” the car owner around £40 a year but the garage trade will lose around 50% of their current work.

What do the gubberment think these people are going to do instead?

The government aren’t interested in helping people and businesses who go out there to work, this scheme is designed to help dodge pots who can’t afford to run a car. 

5 minutes ago, hennabm said:

It may “save” the car owner around £40 a year but the garage trade will lose around 50% of their current work.

What do the gubberment think these people are going to do instead?

There's some truth in that, but it's also true that a stitch in time saves nine. I.e., when the car is finally tested, instead of a new pair of shocks half the steering and suspension needs replacing. The same for slightly sticky brakes. So with the average UK driver, the garage will be able to charge one big bill instead of two small ones.

1 minute ago, artdjones said:

There's some truth in that, but it's also true that a stitch in time saves nine. I.e., when the car is finally tested, instead of a new pair of shocks half the steering and suspension needs replacing. The same for slightly sticky brakes. So with the average UK driver, the garage will be able to charge one big bill instead of two small ones.

If people are really struggling with the cost of MOT now though then what the govt is proposing won't really help them when you think of it like that. If they struggle to find say £300 yearly to repair their car for the ticket then I'd imagine they won't be of the means/mentality to save monthly for the £600-1000 bill that awaits them instead 2 years down the line. It's kind of like that 'we'll give you some money off your utility bill which you then have to pay back anyway' idea.

17 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

If people are really struggling with the cost of MOT now though then what the govt is proposing won't really help them when you think of it like that. If they struggle to find say £300 yearly to repair their car for the ticket then I'd imagine they won't be of the means/mentality to save monthly for the £600-1000 bill that awaits them instead 2 years down the line. It's kind of like that 'we'll give you some money off your utility bill which you then have to pay back anyway' idea.

If they can’t afford the repairs to keep it safe and on the road then they need to get off the road, you wouldn’t run a haulage company and go to VOSA ‘we’ve had a bad run past few months so we’ve not got the money to reline the brakes but we’ve still to earn money so we’re still running the truck’

I agree on the last bit especially, I could see them coming up with a scheme that its not £55 it’s £110 every two years. 🤣

18 minutes ago, sierraman said:

agree on the last bit especially, I could see them coming up with a scheme that its not £55 it’s £110 every two years. 🤣

That's what it is in Ireland for light commercials, even small vans, well,€113 pa. And it starts when the first anniversary of registration comes up.

18 hours ago, beko1987 said:

I think the same every time I see it TBH, but then remembering the average IQ of a modern car driver it's not surprising... The fact that it's you makes me sugest it probably did just go instantly as you're usually shit hot on that sort of thing

Is there any of it left? IE can you see where it's ripped off the fixings leaving bits of plastic and bolts in tact? If it's a clean break then I'd go with the bloody garage not doing it properly. It's a good 15 minute each way job on my car to get it on and off so I could see them skimping on it

This is what's left.  Whole centre piece has gone.

IMG_20220428_123640.thumb.jpg.244c186a7b13fca98c61afdcf3a35f5b.jpg

On 4/27/2022 at 10:07 AM, RoverFolkUs said:

Biannual MOTs...

What an utterly fucking ridiculous idea

I see plenty of cars coming in as absolute deathtraps after just one year

"will ease the cost of living"

How? The advisories system would have to be far more stringent when the problem is likely to be ignored for 2 years instead of 1... 

I maybe in favour of an MOT after 3 years, then biannually from thereonwards until the car reaches X number of years old then back to annual tests. 

They toyed the idea of increasing first tests to 4 years, that idea soon fizzled out

You will save £50. It will affect the motor trade greatly.

They could cut road tax but they won't because it is less for the treasury.

Not a week goes by without our shit show of a government demonstrating how utterly appalling they are.

5 hours ago, sierraman said:

Crazy idea this. If you can’t afford £40 for the test get off the road.

100%

They could cut non-safety related items out of the test like emmissions or engine management lights to ease the cost of living 🤷‍♂️

That would be better than not having a test at all to find and remove the 10,000s of bald tyres from UK roads!

Or, maybe just maybe, stop putting VED up every year and cut the price a bit now, that's a safer cost cutting measure...

18 minutes ago, Bren said:

You will save £50. It will affect the motor trade greatly.

They could cut road tax but they won't because it is less for the treasury.

Not a week goes by without our shit show of a government demonstrating how utterly appalling they are.

They completely fucked garages over last year with the 6 month extension, took business away from them when they most needed it. 

I just mentioned about VED above before seeing you'd already mentioned it, If they're going to cut anything it would be a lot safer to cut that! 

Was told of a 53k one owner 2007 Fiesta that was being PXd for a Kia for a paltry £300.

I said I was interested and a £400 offer was sent to the guy on my behalf. I was told it was accepted and I was given the guys contact details. 

Rang him up and he's already chopped it in some time in the last couple of weeks???

JJ from Classic car weekly phoned this morning asking my opinion on these proposed two year MoTs.

I run an independent MoT station just doing mots no repairs. I told him if it comes in I'm locking the doors and walking away. No nuns or kittens were killed during the extension but you were only supposed to use your vehicle for essential journeys then. Like many self employed I applied for and got a grant to help, there won't be a grant for the year with no work this time though.

Looking at the figures one in three cars failed an MoT last month. Averaged across the country 24% of those failed on brakes, 33% failed on suspension ( no surprise there given the condition of our roads) and 22% on tyres. If this two year thing comes in then it needs to be more involved, removing wheels undertrays and such to inspect properly. This will take longer and because it is more involved then should cost more. Where is the saving for the average motorist ?

If I shut up shop my five figure income tax bill will go and my two members of staff will be signing on.......... Well thought out Mr government man.

Given that the standards required for an MOT are not exactly high, it's a bit alarming that a third of them fail.

Having said that, I had a quick look online to see if there's a difference in the accident rate in the US between the 15 states that require vehicle inspections and the 35 that don't.  According to this paper, it's not clear cut (also see here).   Anyone who's a fan of 'Watch Wes Work' on YouTube might find that surprising considering the absolute shitheaps that roll into his non-inspection state Illinois workshop, nearly all exhibiting galloping structural rust and almost none a working handbrake.

1 hour ago, meggersdog said:

JJ from Classic car weekly phoned this morning asking my opinion on these proposed two year MoTs.

I run an independent MoT station just doing mots no repairs. I told him if it comes in I'm locking the doors and walking away. No nuns or kittens were killed during the extension but you were only supposed to use your vehicle for essential journeys then. Like many self employed I applied for and got a grant to help, there won't be a grant for the year with no work this time though.

Looking at the figures one in three cars failed an MoT last month. Averaged across the country 24% of those failed on brakes, 33% failed on suspension ( no surprise there given the condition of our roads) and 22% on tyres. If this two year thing comes in then it needs to be more involved, removing wheels undertrays and such to inspect properly. This will take longer and because it is more involved then should cost more. Where is the saving for the average motorist ?

If I shut up shop my five figure income tax bill will go and my two members of staff will be signing on.......... Well thought out Mr government man.

100%. Basically if they go to a two year MOT, they're saying that for the next ten years you'll have zero work every other year.

Other than doing a random lottery, if they give every car an extra years MOT now, then next year almost nobody (bar 3 year old cars) will need an MOT. Many thousands of businesses would be forced to shut because they have literally nothing to do. The year after, when everyone now does need an MOT, there wouldn't be anywhere near enough stations to keep up with demand. Everyone would charge top whack and the gov would end up having to issue extensions etc to cope with the backlog. The remaining repair garages would be absolutely overrun with work, pumping up their prices etc.

So in saving people £40 (that 99% of drivers couldn't care less about) one year, they'll put thousands out of work and cause an absolute shitshow the year after, costing everyone MORE in the long run.

Absolutely typical - As usual, it's a completely ill conceived token gesture of a "policy" by a government who have no interest in governing, nor the faintest ability to do so even if they tried. Complete unworkable bollocks time and time again, it makes me so angry I want to grab someone and shake them so hard their fucking eyes pop out.

If the gov do insist on 24 month MOTs, the only way to do this without causing serious short sharp industry shock is to introduce it to cars on a rolling basis as they reach their first MOT. Which doesn't help the potless fuckers that the overpaid brainstorming shithead chucking shit ideas at a wall thought it might.

25 minutes ago, Dead_E23 said:

Given that the standards required for an MOT are not exactly high, it's a bit alarming that a third of them fail.

It's not as scary as it looks . There are a lot of failures for lights which mostly get rectified at the station. Bulbs out , headlamp adjustment or headlight bulbs incorrectly fitted. Another very common failure easily rectified is a vehicle presented with an empty washer bottle or split wipers. We keep and fit  a lot of bulbs and wipers at our station .

7 hours ago, 5speedracer said:

I suspect the average Norwegian or German might have a different perception of car maintenance than the average Brit though!

Most people here no longer maintain their cars. Is mostly the older generation that takes care of things. The average car here is now 11 years old and cars older than 20 years are almost gone.

6 hours ago, artdjones said:

The Japanese test prescribes the replacement of many parts, even when completely unworn, and the costs of that are so high that 6 or 8 year old cars are no longer worth putting through the test, and are sold for use elsewhere. I don't think that's a safety thing, just a way to keep the local production lines moving.

Is that right? Agree on the costs bit, but I thought that was mostly a function of the test fee (about £300 IIRC, and as test centres are government run, if you go through a garage they'll charge on top) plus the fact that you have to pay your next two years road tax and compulsory insurance at the same time, which is another £3-400 again. Assuming you might need a bit of work to get through that means not much change from £1k, but I didn't think the Shaken itself was that much stricter than our mot, although I know you can fail on an oil leak. 

Double bubble 

Went to costco , you can now get £50 worth of E5 in a smart car :(

On the way out , met a roadman 

Walking back from taking the trolley back some twat drives at speed towards me , I carried on walking , just said slow down a bit , it's a car park 

Said roadman gets out , "come back here , I'll finish the job" 

What, really , that's your attitude , just slow down , he gobs off a bit more so I tell him to fuck off, his final words were , just get back in your smart car , as I was getting back in my smart car :D

Tosser 

Focus #2

Set to replacing the PAS pump and pipes today. 

Was all going well, took an hour to strip it all down and remove the old lot, great.

Then it turned to an absolute shitshow 

I'm still frustrated and stroppy so will string a more coherent description of events together later on 

Cars can get in the fucking sea. Ho hum

15 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Focus #2

Set to replacing the PAS pump and pipes today. 

Was all going well, took an hour to strip it all down and remove the old lot, great.

Then it turned to an absolute shitshow 

I'm still frustrated and stroppy so will string a more coherent description of events together later on 

Cars can get in the fucking sea. Ho hum

Take all your stress out on your one then pop round and do mine , thanks 

😬😬

I was working on my brother in law's motorhome this week and needed to check all the connections for the rear light, which are under the sink at the back. Except someone bolted a safe to the floor right in front of them, for which no combination was available.

Can I say that I hate everything about working on coach-built motorhomes?

23 hours ago, angle said:

Is that right? Agree on the costs bit, but I thought that was mostly a function of the test fee (about £300 IIRC, and as test centres are government run, if you go through a garage they'll charge on top) plus the fact that you have to pay your next two years road tax and compulsory insurance at the same time, which is another £3-400 again. Assuming you might need a bit of work to get through that means not much change from £1k, but I didn't think the Shaken itself was that much stricter than our mot, although I know you can fail on an oil leak. 

I looked it up, it seems to be more lenient than it used to be. 25 years ago Ireland was flooded with 6 or 8 year old JDM stuff, not much high performance but grey porridge Corollas with extra wing mirrors and other paraphernalia.I never understood why the Japanese don't fit fog lamps, don't they have fog?

35 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Take all your stress out on your one then pop round and do mine , thanks 

😬😬

Don't 😭

Thing is it's not the car's fault, it's the poxy fucking stupid fucking twat of a pipe setup that's pissed me off. 

I know pattern parts have a tendency to be shit, but 3 hours worth of fuckery modifying the shit out of something because they weren't capable of manufacturing it properly in the first place to resemble OEM specifications is what's really annoying 

First the rack input/output clamp was on backwards so had to cut that off and flip it. I'm not fully confident if it's going to seal but can only tell once it's all back together

The union bracket was welded on 90° left to where it should be 🤦 - heated that up and fiddled about with it until it resembled the old one. Again, not certain it's going to seal but will have to see.

By the end of this I'd simply run out of energy/enthusiasm to deal with the stretchy Aux belts so I've just fucked the whole lot off and will worry about it after the weekend

Though knowing me I'll probably have a stab at it before then and become more frustrated. Because I'm an obstinate git who doesn't like to admit defeat...

TLDR; focuses are all twats and I never want to fuck around with their PAS system or any pattern parts ever again

I offered a 1 year old,  mint condition,  quality grey platform bed and aloe vera mattress on Marketplace for free, because, without wanting to shout too much about it, I'm charitable sort of cunt.

As you can see I burst my arse dismantling it for them and humfing the mattress down my awkwardly shaped staircase. The rest of it is leaning against the wall at the bottom.

20220429_192806.thumb.jpg.475cfec457786542bbc2b0c331148419.jpg

She was supposed to come at 7.

It's now 25 to 8, I think it's safe to say I've been patched.

Screenshot_20220429-192822_Messenger.thumb.jpg.99ea0946f60c98b2944fa680f4700532.jpg

Screenshot_20220429-192831_Messenger.thumb.jpg.3719d600ef007698f085d8c474f1375f.jpg

I have not replied again, but, fuck off and die,  Susanna.

6 hours ago, Supernaut said:

Might want to blank out your address, there @Split_Pin

I think it might be a subtle hint that one of us might nip round and take it, to save him the arseache of having to hump it all back up the stairs again?

Had this sort of shit an unfortunate number of times while trying to shift stuff on Freecycle earlier in the year.

A user rating function might help weed out those grabby-hands chancers who say 'yes' to everything offered but never bother their hole to show up - but it's not a magic bullet...