The grumpy thread

outlaw118

On 4/25/2022 at 2:23 AM, Parky said:

New people in my special little book - those who drive up to the carwash and park in front of it before buying their token. 

I parked up, got my token and as I drove to the car wash an old bastard in a CRV with no dirt on it whatsoever jumped in front of me.  So I sat there grumbling and after Mr Enormous Pickup had gone through the rigarmarole of the ten minute ultra deep clean cycle it was Mr CRV's turn.  

So he drove up to the keypad....and got out to walk into the garage to get his token.  Emerged ten minutes later with a shopping bag and a coffee.  

It rhymes with Bunt and begins with the letter C....

This morning on the way to work I popped into the petrol station for a coffee from the machine.

I usually set the machine going and then pay, then come back to a done coffee. It seems to be what everyone does and works well.

This morning I did the usual, popped a cup under, pressed go and went over to pay. I came back to some silly bastard pulling my cup out of the way while it was halfway through being filled and wondering why the touchscreen wasn't doing anything when he was stabbing at the "Please wait, your coffee is being made" message

2 hours ago, cobblers said:

This morning on the way to work I popped into the petrol station for a coffee from the machine.

I usually set the machine going and then pay, then come back to a done coffee. It seems to be what everyone does and works well.

This morning I did the usual, popped a cup under, pressed go and went over to pay. I came back to some silly bastard pulling my cup out of the way while it was halfway through being filled and wondering why the touchscreen wasn't doing anything when he was stabbing at the "Please wait, your coffee is being made" message

Millions of years of Human evolution and these people somehow still exist.

Buying shite cars is crap these days innit.

All I wanted was a reasonably local cheap banger I could lob on my classic policy, run for a fortnight whilst the Nissans getting painted and then sell on / roffle. 

There's naff all I can find old and interesting enough under £1k except the Raum I put on the ebay tat thread but Peter James won't insure it on my policy. 

The slightly more modern equivalent of shite that I got 10yrs ago for feck all now cost loads. 

I never quite appreciated the halcyon time we lived in. I wish I'd made more of it. Its like looking back on all the birds I blatantly could've banged years ago but didn't as I'm a fucking idiot and they're all with richer more successful blokes now (the cars and the women). 

I probably don't need a car really but was quite looking forward to buying one, smoking around in it and punting it on at minimal cost/hassle. 

Oh well, time to find those bicycle clips. 

4 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

I have a mate looking for a sub £700 car, and another looking for a sub £5k van for a short time that he won't lose on. Nothing about local online or even at the side of the road with a '4sale' sign. Madness.

I've an S80 in the for sale section 😏

On 4/13/2022 at 7:07 PM, RoverFolkUs said:

Or you get some sort of unhelpful and utterly irrelevant shit "help" such as - "my Ford Anglia I had back in the day was making a similar knocking noise and Fred next door adjusted the tappets and all was well only cost me £5 maybe worth a try" 

Yep, I'm sure the fact that you paid £5 for someone to adjust your tappets 40 years ago is going to pin point this poor chap's suspension noise 🤦

Whilst I have no doubt this is complete pisstaking - in similar vein... 

1078871607_Screenshot_20220426-2314132.thumb.png.f1bfd6c575266e06dcd5c4f59d5da9f2.png

1268778340_Screenshot_20220426-2314192.thumb.png.54f4df98ee336f9543505ee9b5d55829.png

Up early at 4am to drop my wife off for a 7am flight to Palma for a Hen Doo. They've delayed the flight for 7 hours.  Fucking useless bag of dicks. 

Screenshot_20220427-070537.thumb.png.e5769f92cf1ab3656f00521be0d2bfb9.png

This maintains our recent high failure rate at Prestwick with Ryanair. Fight before last to Malaga was delayed 3 hours then cancelled completely 😂.  

Biannual MOTs...

What an utterly fucking ridiculous idea

I see plenty of cars coming in as absolute deathtraps after just one year

"will ease the cost of living"

How? The advisories system would have to be far more stringent when the problem is likely to be ignored for 2 years instead of 1... 

I maybe in favour of an MOT after 3 years, then biannually from thereonwards until the car reaches X number of years old then back to annual tests. 

They toyed the idea of increasing first tests to 4 years, that idea soon fizzled out

10 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Biannual MOTs...

What an utterly fucking ridiculous idea

I see plenty of cars coming in as absolute deathtraps after just one year

"will ease the cost of living"

How? The advisories system would have to be far more stringent when the problem is likely to be ignored for 2 years instead of 1... 

I maybe in favour of an MOT after 3 years, then biannually from thereonwards until the car reaches X number of years old then back to annual tests. 

They toyed the idea of increasing first tests to 4 years, that idea soon fizzled out

The main issue I see is totally unroadworthy vehicles through lack of basic maintenance.  Go around any pubilc car park you care to mention and look at cars bought new in 2020.  I'll bet you that at least a few have utterly fucked tyres.  Look at all the cars in the car park and I'll bet you at least 10% have fucked tyres.

The issue is, they're just not picked up by the Police.  So whilst most of us might ocassionally let them get a bit lower than they should, we're not running cars with totally bald tyres and you can't see the cord.  It's alarmingly common.  So bi-annual MOTs are stupid. 

Not only that, it doesn't help the 'cost of living' in any meaningful way.  The price of an MOT is fixed at about £55.  Any additional cost is due to an MOT failure - so what the government are in fact saying here is that they're happy for cars that would otherwise fail an MOT to be on the road.

It's time for more Ma logic. "Will the hedge trimmer cut ivy on sister's concrete fence?"

Er, no, it's for trimming hedges. You'd do a lot better with the petrol strimmer.
That won't do, it will just grow back if you cut it with a strimmer.
Er, and it won't if you cut it with a hedge trimmer? Why don't you just weed killer it?
It will grow back if you weed killer it. 

So, ivy is weedkiller and strimmer proof, but if you bugger up the hedge trimmer chopping concrete it will never grow again? Brilliant logic.

#1stWorldproblem#

So, post COVID/WW3 incoming >> What has happened to the 'uber priced' £29.95 Microwave?

Joking, no, but.... Everything is £55 Best price

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304182235774?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=MdEKoPzTTki&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=0j0mh1UTRLi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

😮

50 minutes ago, tooSavvy said:

#1stWorldproblem#

So, post COVID/WW3 incoming >> What has happened to the 'uber priced' £29.95 Microwave?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304182235774?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=MdEKoPzTTki&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=0j0mh1UTRLi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

😮

You make a good point! I paid £27 for one of these, brand new, in store about 3 years ago, normal price was £40 at the time. 

Just looked and they're £70 now!? Are microwaves the new catalytic converters or something? 😂

2056620339_Screenshot_20220427-1157482.thumb.png.bc19fd8389cd04203ce42806078e328a.png

Energy companies. 

Useless twats, the lot of them. 

Moving house, changing suppliers. British Gas - took forever to get through to them, but at least the upshot of patiently spending nearly half an hour explaining to someone who's first language isn't English and couldn't understand that on the date they wanted to fit the new meter (going from prepayment to credit) there wouldn't be anyone available, is that I'll get what I want done and on a date convenient to me. Fingers crossed I can then ditch BG and move to a better supplier, but getting shot of the card meter with the nearest top-up 25 minutes away was the priority. 

Useless cnuts of the day award to EON:Next - would set me up an account but point blank refused to carry over the credit on the meter, even though I paid for it prior to move in. Apparently because it was credited before the 'official' move date it'll get refunded back to the previous homeowner, so bye-bye £190, consisting of £140 still on the meter and the £50 I had to pay today for what has been used since we moved in. Still, it's only money. Now I've got the arse-ache of two trips to the nearest paypoint, once to get a code loaded to get the meter/key reset and then straight back to the shop once that's done to put a top-up on. They won't change me to a credit meter because they're not doing credit checks at the moment.  

Trying to switch away from EON is an arse-ache too - the comparison sites are all saying 'stick with current supplier' but they're not taking account of the fact that I'm switching to get away from sodding useless prepayment meters that aren't even able to be topped up from home via an app. 

6 hours ago, tooSavvy said:

#1stWorldproblem#

😮

My microwave was £0 from Facebook a few years ago. 

I mean there's a small drop of rust on the door frame and the fancy plastic chrome paint covering bright red plastic around the buttons is wearing a bit but it makes cold food warm. Out of its 73 buttons and modes I use the 1 minute, 10 seconds and start buttons exclusively 

2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

The undertray from the Caddy just ejected itself and was smashed into about a thousand pieces somewhere on the M1.

Yay.  No surprises that the last folks to touch it were a garage.

It's probably been doing what I see alot of vag undertrays do when driving up and down the m40 and wobbling around like crazy barely a mm from the tarmac without you being aware for a short while too. 

1 hour ago, beko1987 said:

It's probably been doing what I see alot of vag undertrays do when driving up and down the m40 and wobbling around like crazy barely a mm from the tarmac without you being aware for a short while too. 

It was definitely secure prior to last week as it was something I checked when I was under there a few weeks ago when the tracking was being done.

If it was flapping about like that I'd be very surprised if I hadn't heard it or detected vibration from it...