The grumpy thread

outlaw118

14 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Who the fk was that with , I bet they don't shout about that tooo often 😲

Independent company, called "More Than Tyres" branches in Burgess Hill and Bognor Regis in West Sussex. They used to only have the Burgess Hill branch and did decent part worns for about £20 depending on size. (I got 3 tyres for my old Rover 45 - 1 new 2 p/w all fitted and balanced for £95, but they stopped all that when Covid hit and they became mobile. 

They've gone slightly downhill and upmarket, used to be able to get a brand new 205/55/16 fitted and balanced for £55, now more like £70-75 each. But I don't blame them as everything else has gone up. 

The tyre in question was a General Altimax One S, think the lifetime warranty was just for General tyres. And you're right, they do keep quiet as it's not on their website or anything. 

National tyres & autocare used to do a lifetime accidental damage guarantee depending on tread, i.e 80% off a new one if it had 6mm tread, 50% off if it was 4mm tread etc etc 

I rarely bother with the fast fit places or tyres on the drive etc. 

I needed one on a Saturday once, went to national tyres and they said it would be £120 today or £60 if you do it online for Monday, "would be the same tyre anyway" 

Fucking scalpers. Vowed never to go there again.

F1 Autocentres tend to be the best out of the rest of the fast fit outfits, and are my first choice in an emergency

1 hour ago, High Jetter said:

Have you tried to report these holes? ESCC say must be 40mm(!) deep and a mile* wide before they'll send a crew to dump a lumpy patch on it. Obviously, ignoring the adjacent 35mm x 10m wide patch as 'not on the worksheet, guv"

I live in a cul de sac which is basically the shape of a question mark. I live at the start of the curved bit. The council came and resurfaced the straight bit stopping 6 in short of a very obvious pot hole right outside my gate. Why do half a street? It wasn’t as if one half was great and didn’t need doing.

New people in my special little book - those who drive up to the carwash and park in front of it before buying their token. 

I parked up, got my token and as I drove to the car wash an old bastard in a CRV with no dirt on it whatsoever jumped in front of me.  So I sat there grumbling and after Mr Enormous Pickup had gone through the rigarmarole of the ten minute ultra deep clean cycle it was Mr CRV's turn.  

So he drove up to the keypad....and got out to walk into the garage to get his token.  Emerged ten minutes later with a shopping bag and a coffee.  

It rhymes with Bunt and begins with the letter C....

It's the middle of the night, and I can't get back to sleep. Eye patch on at the moment.

I may* have to visit hospital tomorrow to have something removed from  my eye.

Third time this has happened in 56 years of angle grinding every other day or so.

I follow all the rules, new goggles too!

Could be worse, was both eyes last time.

On 23/04/2022 at 23:23, RoverFolkUs said:

Fucking inconsiderate neighbours 

ASBO flaps (have mentioned her before) who moved in recently thought it would be a brilliant* idea to get the kids outside in the communal car park for a kickabout with a football. 

They were out for about 5 minutes, first the ball hit my Focus #2, fortunately no damage, then the father kicked the ball about 10 feet into the air and it hit the house perpendicularly opposite between two windows. It bounced back onto their car and set the alarm off. 

On the return kick, it landed on the Xsara Picasso's bonnet 

I was becoming absolutely fucking livid that they had no regard for other people's property. I was watching Focus #1 like a hawk because I would have been furious if they kicked the ball into it and shattered it's quickclear windscreen... 

You know what made this completely absurd? Out the front there is a playpark literally LESS than 50 yards away from their front door.... Large open green space, perfect for a football kickabout.

They're really beginning to get on my (and other neighbours') nerves. I am refraining from creating over it so far as I do wish to have an amicable relationship with all my neighbours, they are the sort that would key your car, slash the tyres etc

TLDR; (some of) my neighbours are complete ignorant pricks

Report to management company ? How is the car park owned ? 

On 4/23/2022 at 7:59 PM, Justwatching said:

Purchased a Haynes AutoFix manual for my parent's K13 Nissan Micra. Not used it before, it's an online jobby as they're not doing paper versions anymore, apparently. The spark plugs are overdue but it requires the intake manifold and throttle body to be removed. I didn't want to balls it up and thought it would useful to have an official procedure. Well don't waste your money - it's useless. The information is completely generic and no help. Things like "remove anything obstructing access to the spark plugs". It also has a helpful* tutorial video of a completely different engine. Now I know how to change the plugs on a Renault...

I contacted Haynes because a 'shop manual that can't tell me how to do something simple like the spark plugs is a waste of space and I felt it was a swizz having paid out. They replied with a load of marketing BS about how this is their new direction and it will help me access OBD codes so "you will know what the problem is when you hand it over to a workshop."! 

At least the manifold removal on this is quite easy, if it’s anything like the same procedure on my Qashqai.

Haynes have been in slow decline for years, because people apparently no longer work on their own vehicles because they’re too complicated. Personally with a world of information at my fingertips and magical machines that tell me what’s wrong just by plugging it in I am managing to struggle on, although even I draw a line at leccy handbrakes.

3 hours ago, New POD said:

Report to management company ? How is the car park owned ? 

They couldn't give a shite, they don't about any other issues. 

It's owned and managed* by a housing association

There's loads of other ongoing issues that they couldn't give a fuck about, namely the combined communal fire/security doors that are broken, intercom system doesn't work 

I had a non flushing toilet recently, took them 6 weeks to fix it

There's a no smoking policy in the building, everyone but me is a smoker and is constantly smoking on the grounds, not just nicotine either, other "green" substances. They don't care one bit

They just don't/won't listen. Nobody else in the building would say boo to a goose so I am stuck among all this fuckery

It's a shame because it used to be a really nice place to live

7 hours ago, Parky said:

New people in my special little book - those who drive up to the carwash and park in front of it before buying their token. 

I parked up, got my token and as I drove to the car wash an old bastard in a CRV with no dirt on it whatsoever jumped in front of me.  So I sat there grumbling and after Mr Enormous Pickup had gone through the rigarmarole of the ten minute ultra deep clean cycle it was Mr CRV's turn.  

So he drove up to the keypad....and got out to walk into the garage to get his token.  Emerged ten minutes later with a shopping bag and a coffee.  

Reminds me of Barret's (I think it was he anyway) similar incident at a jetwash where he hosed down a Range Rover queue jumper with foam then scuttled off sharpish. 😂

3 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

There's loads of other ongoing issues that they couldn't give a fuck about, namely the combined communal fire/security doors that are broken, intercom system doesn't work 

There's a no smoking policy in the building, everyone but me is a smoker and is constantly smoking on the grounds, not just nicotine either, other "green" substances. They don't care one bit

They just don't/won't listen. Nobody else in the building would say boo to a goose so I am stuck among all this fuckery

Which part of Crawley is this 😒

17 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I rarely bother with the fast fit places or tyres on the drive etc. 

I needed one on a Saturday once, went to national tyres and they said it would be £120 today or £60 if you do it online for Monday, "would be the same tyre anyway" 

Fucking scalpers. Vowed never to go there again.

F1 Autocentres tend to be the best out of the rest of the fast fit outfits, and are my first choice in an emergency

Can’t say I’ve ever used the lot at hassocks.
Agree - F1 at Burgess Hill have been very helpful in the past. I was told get  a quote on BlackCircles (that’s how I usually order and get them to fit). - then then give them a call  - they claimed they would match it, I guess trousering BC’s usual cut. 

That suits me as the blackcircles lot had me in circles with a pair of new fits. Usually they have been fine, but this time scheduled dates and times, but failed to deliver tyres to F1, then missed a second and third date, promised me 20quid off each tyre for the inconvenience via email,  and that never materialised.  W*nkers.

18 hours ago, Parky said:

I had this happen to me a few weeks ago. 
Numpty drives in front of me, parks car, then off to buy ticket. When he gets back he drives the car into the wash, comes back to the keypad to punch in the code, then wanders off on his phone while car washes. Wash finishes but no sign of clown. 
when he finally gets back he opens his door to a deluge onto his shoes. Turns out he was so busy on the phone he hadn’t noticed the sunroof was open. 

I called out to him that I tried to attract his attention but he was on the phone. 

Have a nice day, muppet. 

13 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

This is common practice they're only interested in rent collection you' ll find even less response if you're an owner occupier or private renter as your a nuisance to them as your not a source of income so they have no interest in you full stop.

2 hours ago, sheffcortinacentre said:

This is common practice they're only interested in rent collection you' ll find even less response if you're an owner occupier or private renter as your a nuisance to them as your not a source of income so they have no interest in you full stop.

That's exactly it 

I won't be staying much longer, will just have to put up and shut up for now as I can't be arsed with the hassle it'll entail trying to get anywhere with it

6 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Can’t say I’ve ever used the lot at hassocks.
Agree - F1 at Burgess Hill have been very helpful in the past. I was told get  a quote on BlackCircles (that’s how I usually order and get them to fit). - then then give them a call  - they claimed they would match it, I guess trousering BC’s usual cut. 

That suits me as the blackcircles lot had me in circles with a pair of new fits. Usually they have been fine, but this time scheduled dates and times, but failed to deliver tyres to F1, then missed a second and third date, promised me 20quid off each tyre for the inconvenience via email,  and that never materialised.  W*nkers.

Hassocks used to be really good, then I think it got taken over by new management. 

I was on holiday once and sent a friend there whose exhuast had snapped, they said it would be £150 for the centre section but also needs a back box which would take it upto £330. 

That's not an unreasonable price, except for the fact there was absolutely fuck all wrong with the back box that was already on there, it looked pretty new. 

When they tried charging me twice the price when I needed a tyre there and then, that was the final straw. 

I guess they're fine if you know exactly what you need and the price they quote is right, but that's largely true for any fast fit place really. 

Yes F1 in Burgess Hill did a battery for me once, it was when ECP were doing "click and collect only due to Covid" and I couldn't be arsed trying to arrange it online, popped into F1 and they supplied and fitted a new one there and then for £75. I was going to pay £60 for one at Euros so thought for the sake of £15 I'd let them do it and not get my hands dirty! 

I don't even entertain black circles, tyres on the drive, Asda tyres etc, notice how the more expensive tyres are always available next day but budgets not for a few days.... Really!? 

I prefer supporting all the local independent places, use them or lose them, was so bloody frustrating not being able to get a 205/55/16 on that day though, whatever happened to just walking in somewhere and getting a tyre done there and then!? 

3 hours ago, reb said:

Just smacked myself full force in the face with a ratchet somehow while doing up the slider pins on this Octavia.

Also one of the disc retaining screws has rounded off. Fucksticks. Got one side done at least so once we get this side sorted we should be alright.

Anyone who's worked on an MK7 Civic (EP3) would probably testify how bloody tight the front bottom arms are to lever, there's barely any flex in them.. 

I was very stupid once and peered my head under the arch while trying to lever down on the arm, the bar slipped and the force of the arm springing back up compressed the strut and the brake disc whacked my chin and banged my head into the arch. 

Nearly knocked me out, never did that again! 

15 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Have to say I have had good experiences with Black Circles, ordered several sets and a local-ish tyre place fits them no issue.  They sent three a while ago and knocked off 25 quid for the delay on the fourth, no bother as i wasn't going to pick it up for another couple of days anyway.