The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Just been to the local retail park.

Loads of disabled parking right outside the shops, hardly any blue badges on display.

There was an almighty crash.  A Civic reversing out hit a Mondeo that was just stood in the lane.

How she didn't hear the reversing sensor racket I can't imagine.

There were a couple of other near misses, strengthens my resolve to only ever reverse into parking slots.

Anyone know any good motor factors in/near Milton Keynes?

Motorserv up by Wolverton were my go to till now but they had a big staff change a few months back and are less use than Halfords now.  Third time just now I've tried to buy normal everyday consumables and wound up giving up.

Top tip boys and girls! When the weather is nice and you cannot be bothered to move the 3 vehicles between the car you want to work on and the ramp, don't decide to do it on the floor. This is especially important if you are working on a diesel fuel system and have a jar of diesel for lubricating and priming. Whatever you do, do not rest jar on the slam panel then reach up from your position on the floor, whilst looking directly up to the jar, and knock it over :-( 

Doing the above instantly turns your clothing into smelly rags, but you don't care, because your eyeballs have instantly turned into firey balls from hell! Getting back into the house and into the shower with closed eyes is not a sport I would recommend!

I am now enjoying a cup of tea as most of the pain has gone, but with it my mojo for fixing cars today!

Purchased a Haynes AutoFix manual for my parent's K13 Nissan Micra. Not used it before, it's an online jobby as they're not doing paper versions anymore, apparently. The spark plugs are overdue but it requires the intake manifold and throttle body to be removed. I didn't want to balls it up and thought it would useful to have an official procedure. Well don't waste your money - it's useless. The information is completely generic and no help. Things like "remove anything obstructing access to the spark plugs". It also has a helpful* tutorial video of a completely different engine. Now I know how to change the plugs on a Renault...

I contacted Haynes because a 'shop manual that can't tell me how to do something simple like the spark plugs is a waste of space and I felt it was a swizz having paid out. They replied with a load of marketing BS about how this is their new direction and it will help me access OBD codes so "you will know what the problem is when you hand it over to a workshop."! 

Fucking inconsiderate neighbours 

ASBO flaps (have mentioned her before) who moved in recently thought it would be a brilliant* idea to get the kids outside in the communal car park for a kickabout with a football. 

They were out for about 5 minutes, first the ball hit my Focus #2, fortunately no damage, then the father kicked the ball about 10 feet into the air and it hit the house perpendicularly opposite between two windows. It bounced back onto their car and set the alarm off. 

On the return kick, it landed on the Xsara Picasso's bonnet 

I was becoming absolutely fucking livid that they had no regard for other people's property. I was watching Focus #1 like a hawk because I would have been furious if they kicked the ball into it and shattered it's quickclear windscreen... 

You know what made this completely absurd? Out the front there is a playpark literally LESS than 50 yards away from their front door.... Large open green space, perfect for a football kickabout.

They're really beginning to get on my (and other neighbours') nerves. I am refraining from creating over it so far as I do wish to have an amicable relationship with all my neighbours, they are the sort that would key your car, slash the tyres etc

TLDR; (some of) my neighbours are complete ignorant pricks

Nearly 2 hours to leave the wembly car park, then another 40 minutes getting out of the general area. Fuck london

And fuck modern cars. My Xsara takes corners way better than an ioniq, forgot my dad was next to me at times and went into commute autopilot when we hit Wycombe... Oops 

On 4/20/2022 at 9:27 PM, Unlucky Alf said:

Fingers crossed 🤞 for you.  I’ve been running on them and I suspect it’s just because I’m unlucky (!) but I’ve had loads of punctures, the side walls seem quite susceptible, and I’ve had a fair few repairs where nails have gone into them.

this was one of the most annoying,  a bolt, going round Guildford ring road one morning. 
at least it wasn’t a slightly warn newish one with loads of life left in it….  Ahh bugger.

1DA8817C-5EE3-464A-B241-BB3F443F7611.thumb.jpeg.94e8c09ba5d6588a4b745114f8767f5e.jpeg

Guildford roads general look like they’ve just been strafed by the Luftwaffe.

3 hours ago, richardmorris said:

Guildford roads general look like they’ve just been strafed by the Luftwaffe

I think they did Horsham on the way through as well ... I think the council must of run out of spray paint for ringing the potholes ... apparently if it's got a ring round it they know about it and then they claim you should of been able to see it , therefore you can't make a claim for any damages 😡😡

14 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Who the fk was that with , I bet they don't shout about that tooo often 😲

Independent company, called "More Than Tyres" branches in Burgess Hill and Bognor Regis in West Sussex. They used to only have the Burgess Hill branch and did decent part worns for about £20 depending on size. (I got 3 tyres for my old Rover 45 - 1 new 2 p/w all fitted and balanced for £95, but they stopped all that when Covid hit and they became mobile. 

They've gone slightly downhill and upmarket, used to be able to get a brand new 205/55/16 fitted and balanced for £55, now more like £70-75 each. But I don't blame them as everything else has gone up. 

The tyre in question was a General Altimax One S, think the lifetime warranty was just for General tyres. And you're right, they do keep quiet as it's not on their website or anything. 

National tyres & autocare used to do a lifetime accidental damage guarantee depending on tread, i.e 80% off a new one if it had 6mm tread, 50% off if it was 4mm tread etc etc 

I rarely bother with the fast fit places or tyres on the drive etc. 

I needed one on a Saturday once, went to national tyres and they said it would be £120 today or £60 if you do it online for Monday, "would be the same tyre anyway" 

Fucking scalpers. Vowed never to go there again.

F1 Autocentres tend to be the best out of the rest of the fast fit outfits, and are my first choice in an emergency