The grumpy thread

outlaw118

6 minutes ago, adw1977 said:

Well I guess this is why my tyre deflated overnight. 

20220408_143323.thumb.jpg.e78fba73a80842ee06fec99b2cbff807.jpg

At least I was able to get it to hold enough air to get to the local tyre fitter, now waiting to see how much it's going to cost me.

My usual tyre place charges 13 pounds for a repair like that. 

55 minutes ago, cobblers said:

Sick to fucking death of phones.

I'm trying to run a business here and the phone system provided at the business centre doesn't work properly. The people who run the place, while well intentioned are absolutely useless.

So I'd divert calls to my mobile, but while we're in a well populated busy industrial area, I have very spotty/no mobile phone signal here on any network.

"Use WIFI calling" they say. So I do, and on every call, every 15 seconds the call goes garbled for a while. If I turn wifi calling off, it's 50/50 as to whether I'll even be able to make/receive a call at all.

I don't care about 4g, 5g etc. I hate talking to people on the phone as it is, without having to constantly ask them to repeat themselves or get the call dropped every few minutes.

I use WhatsApp calling a lot, and have similar experiences. A10 min call will have a gap 3 or 4 times. And the only time they ask you to rate the call seems to be on the rare occasions it works perfectly.

My van has let me down by failing the MOT on 'Offside Front Integral body structure corroded to the extent that the rigidity of the assembly is significantly reduced holed next to front subframe mount inner wing (6.1.1 (c) (i))'. Garage sorting Tuesday, the day of expiry :(

Got the new ECU (complete with remap) for the Rover 75 in the post today.  Went out after work and fitted it to the car all excited.  It won't start.

It's throwing up three fault codes, none of which were there before - HP fuel pressure control valve, EEPROM and CAN-signal.  I called the chap who supplied the ECU and he says he reckons it's the EEPROM issue that is preventing the car from starting, although he was puzzled as he tested the ECU before loading my car's data on to it.  So I've now got to post the ECU back to him for him to look at next week and see if he can find the issue.  I'm hoping it is an issue with the ECU as, annoying though that would be, if it isn't that then I haven't got a fucking clue.

I won't deny that I'm mildly* miffed that after chucking another £200 or so at the thing I'm actually further back than I was before.

7 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Ten hours from Exmouth to East Kent.  It took me ten hours.

Fuck driving.

And the worst part of it all is you ended up back here in East Kent!

Just tried finding some diesel on the way home from work. No one's got any. Even the motorway services didn't have any. Luckily I planned ahead and bought far too many cars, so I'll drive the Micra instead!

On 04/04/2022 at 16:20, horriblemercedes said:

I will probably get a quote, but I've had this phone a couple of years and don't like it much so might be best to put the repair money towards a new phone instead

if you don't need/want 5G may i suggest a POCO X3 pro- near flagship specs for £200ish

8 hours ago, cobblers said:

Sick to fucking death of phones.

I'm trying to run a business here and the phone system provided at the business centre doesn't work properly. The people who run the place, while well intentioned are absolutely useless.

So I'd divert calls to my mobile, but while we're in a well populated busy industrial area, I have very spotty/no mobile phone signal here on any network.

"Use WIFI calling" they say. So I do, and on every call, every 15 seconds the call goes garbled for a while. If I turn wifi calling off, it's 50/50 as to whether I'll even be able to make/receive a call at all.

I don't care about 4g, 5g etc. I hate talking to people on the phone as it is, without having to constantly ask them to repeat themselves or get the call dropped every few minutes.

Worth hiring an answering service? If there is interweb could VOIP work? In extremis a Starlink dish could be used to go around the shitty inhouse phone system.

On 06/04/2022 at 07:19, paulplom said:

I didn't have the drums on. I had put new cylinders on and was changing the brake fluid. When I connected the van tyre it popped the pistons out before I realised what was happening.

Fuck knows what I was thinking.

Been there, done that. 

14 minutes ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Fucking car insurance.

Every other car  sub £1,000 for me has doubled in insurance since 2020.  Everything reasonable in insurance is above £3,000.

I'd consider classic insurance but the Micra works perhaps for a day per week, and most of them from what I know want a normal modern as the daily?

Are you a particularly high risk or live in a car crime hotspot? my insurance hasn't really changed much over the last 20 years and is still sub £350 for an old banger or a new Focus, current Volvo shed has just renewed at £220 FC.

Thought i would take my 2 children up to london ( richmond station) from basingstoke next friday.  Basingstoke is only 40 miles from richmond.

Bloody hell, return ticket for 3  £49 ! Plus parking at Basingstoke.

I have been out of the country for a few years but this seems expensive .

Seems it is cheaper to take the 2001 civic.

Parking £10

Congestion charge £15

fuel about £14

total.      £39.   And a good run for the civic .

Surely this needs sorting out Mr railways and London.

56 minutes ago, Sir Chocolate Teapot said:

Thought i would take my 2 children up to london ( richmond station) from basingstoke next friday.  Basingstoke is only 40 miles from richmond.

Bloody hell, return ticket for 3  £49 ! Plus parking at Basingstoke.

I have been out of the country for a few years but this seems expensive .

Seems it is cheaper to take the 2001 civic.

Parking £10

Congestion charge £15

fuel about £14

total.      £39.   And a good run for the civic .

Surely this needs sorting out Mr railways and London.

Same. We're going to Think Tank in Birmingham during Easter hols. Mrs Grogee wanted to take master Grogee on the train, for a change/something different. 

Price for the three of us not including parking: £60 (Leamington Spa to New Street return).

It'll be cheaper to drive the Saab there and back even with OMGFUELPRICES and 25mpg.