The grumpy thread

outlaw118

2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

The ridiculous thing here is that the amount we will owe is inevitably going to be $0 as there's nothing coming from over there, and we've already paid tax on our incomings over here.

Even using the paid tools (i.e. TurboTax) it was about $150...so potentially having to pay ten times that, and likely one an annual basis, would sting a bit!

I've passed on the suggestions regarding possible solutions to the phone issue and we'll see where we get to.  Worry is we've not even got past the "We've sent you a text with your one time code..." Bit which never used to exist, so there's apprehension over what else might have materialised since last year given the whole process looks to have changed.

Right, not many savings if no tax is to be paid.  

This is probably petty, but the current batch of Honda adverts on the radio are getting on my tits at the moment.  They'll pick a safety feature fitted to the new Jazz or whatever and present it like it's some wonderful new Honda invention which came to them in a moment of inspiration and is unique to their cars, rather than something which is fitted as standard on every single new car and in many cases is a legal requirement anyway.

9 hours ago, New POD said:

More likely, they don't want people coming, they only went close family and friends, but don't want to not invite people.  Which is more of a snub to any friends who are not successful.hedhe fund managers.  

I calculate it cost me £2500 to attend my sons wedding near Redditch.  5 hotel rooms , for 2 nights, a suit, and shoes for myself, 2 dresses, new bras and knickers, 2 pairs of shoes and a hand bag, and taking some (18) of the wedding guests out to dinner the night before.   

Bra and knickers......................sniggers......................erm sorry !

1 minute ago, camryv6 said:

Bra and knickers......................sniggers......................erm sorry !

16 minutes ago, New POD said:

You need to be comfy. 

Need I say more ? 

A litre of oil in 400 miles?  Don't mind if I do, said the Princess.  Exhaust in the coolant again?  Why yes, that sounds like an excellent idea.

Anyone want to rebuild an O-series?  Because I fucking don't.  Got most of the gaskets etc. required already and I can pull the engine and gearbox no bother, just want someone else to go through it all and fix it because I'm done trying to DIY it.  I've tried and failed enough times now that I don't even want well-meaning suggestions.  It's engine rebuild/replacement time.  Still, got a few hundred miles out of it since the last time I replaced the head gasket so that's better than the 70 miles previous to that I suppose.

On 3/23/2022 at 11:29 AM, AnnoyingPentium said:

A fella is sitting opposite me on the train drinking a lucozade sport. Or rather he's holding the bottle about an inch from his mouth and squeezing it so it makes the most annoying noise. 

I got on a packed virgin train a few years back , the doors opened and the smell of BO nearly knocked me off the step , I only had 2 stops so got on , that's when I noticed the Download T shirts , fuck me they stunk 

5 minutes ago, Wack said:

All of them 

161954118_Screenshot_20220331-191620_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.3a7215d2ca85ef798cea1d12e6119151.jpg

Often wondered about the legalities of this. When you insure your normal vehicle its always states not for hire and reward, not for the motor trade etc. Even if you bump it up to class 3 business use still no hire and reward. So how does this top up trump that you've 'misled' your current insurer? Does it just cover the parcels for theft, as thats goods in transit and has so many get out clauses its ridiculous. You're always covered for the third party even if you've lied through your back teeth on the quote form. Do they have public liability cover, cause if you knock over that priceless ming vase by the front door when you hand the parcel over somebodys going to want to claim for it.

Is it just a case of the big companies looking good and caring and to hell with the consequences for the subby if it goes tits up?

BTW not having a pop at anybody just wondered if anyone had insight into it all.

24 minutes ago, Popsicle said:

Often wondered about the legalities of this. When you insure your normal vehicle its always states not for hire and reward, not for the motor trade etc. Even if you bump it up to class 3 business use still no hire and reward. So how does this top up trump that you've 'misled' your current insurer? Does it just cover the parcels for theft, as thats goods in transit and has so many get out clauses its ridiculous. You're always covered for the third party even if you've lied through your back teeth on the quote form. Do they have public liability cover, cause if you knock over that priceless ming vase by the front door when you hand the parcel over somebodys going to want to claim for it.

Is it just a case of the big companies looking good and caring and to hell with the consequences for the subby if it goes tits up?

BTW not having a pop at anybody just wondered if anyone had insight into it all.

It'll trump your own insurance but your vehicle won't be covered if you crash it , just what you hit , it'll also have a massive excess .

The haulage industry has compensation rates per tonne , it's not much £1500 maybe , if a courier drops a Ming vase it'll be insured for whatever they've paid for , I send a lot of parcels but never insure anything for more than the minimum , in 10 years I've probably made 20 claims on thousands of parcels sent. 

Pack things well enough and they don't get broken.

Goods in transit insurance is optional and generally one of those policies you never claim on if you want to be insured next year .

17 minutes ago, Wibble said:

That’s good to know but do all courier companies offer this?

The big ones do , there are companies that also insure couriers by the hour that work for the likes of DHL UPS etc , also just eat , most of these guys are young , if there wasn't a company that'd cover them hourly there'd be nobody to do the job 

20 minutes ago, Wack said:

It'll trump your own insurance but your vehicle won't be covered if you crash it , just what you hit , it'll also have a massive excess .

The haulage industry has compensation rates per tonne , it's not much £1500 maybe , if a courier drops a Ming vase it'll be insured for whatever they've paid for , I send a lot of parcels but never insure anything for more than the minimum , in 10 years I've probably made 20 claims on thousands of parcels sent. 

Pack things well enough and they don't get broken.

Goods in transit insurance is optional and generally one of those policies you never claim on if you want to be insured next year .

In 30 odd years of couriering I once tried to claim on my goods in transit insurance, had a control panel for a an aero companies QC machine in the back of Sprinter. Had a head on smash, not my fault, £3k worth of damage to the control panel. GIT company refused to payout as there was no written contract in place specifically asking me to carry the goods from A to B, as my work was always a phone call, ie pick up from XXX take it to XXX. Had to get solicitors onto it who to be fair did get the at fault drivers insurance to cough up. So yep not worth the paper its written on.

6 hours ago, vulgalour said:

A litre of oil in 400 miles?  Don't mind if I do, said the Princess.

Rookie numbers, the Dolly would quite happily burn 5L in that sort of distance. It was actually costing me more in oil to run than petrol at various points.

One has to assume at this point that the head/block in the Prinny is warped at this point...

15 minutes ago, barefoot said:

Eco tossers who moan about small items sent in big boxes should work a night shift at a transit hub.

I once got sent a vintge radio wrapped in a bin bag with sellotape around it, totally fucked by the time it got to me.

I posted a singer sewing machine that'd seen 2 world wars to the US , they must've thrown it out of the plane door when it got there , smashed the casting into three pieces.

14 hours ago, iainrcz said:

A litre of oil in 400 miles?

Sure you haven't accidentally bought a petrol RCZ?

That's not bad oil consumption.Over 200 miles per pint. When I got rid of my 1.7 O series Ital, it was doing a pint in 36 miles. Are you putting proper old fashioned oil in that doesn't want to come out the can, it's so thick?