The grumpy thread

outlaw118

11 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

Seen people driving some quite smart motors delivering Mcdonalds. Must say I had Mcdonalds for "tea" twice last week. Did go and fetch them myself though. 

A work colleague uses his company C class to deliver takeaways for an Indian restaurant, he gets paid cash in hand and doesn’t pay for fuel or running costs so I suppose it’s all profit for him 

I was hungover and ordered a McDonalds a while back. Its less than a mile and a half away as the crow flies but I can't be arsed being sat in traffic in Shipley so Deliveroo seems like a good option. 

I got a notification that it was on its way. 

Screenshot_20220328-091958_Gallery.thumb.jpg.65f53f9bb6ccd0a47482465b05ddf89f.jpg

Ordinarily, thats not unusual but there is a bit of an elevation gain between there and my house. 

Screenshot_20220328-092042_Opera.thumb.jpg.95e77a652755fe93e1a313e289fdfc8d.jpg

Screenshot_20220328-091253_Opera.jpg.2e57becbb33aceb58edcd7a6ac1ef749.jpg

You go girl. 

It ended up being delivered by a bloke in a car though. 

I have just picked up my eldest from College.

Navigating the hellhole that is Warrington - plus speed ramps on the campus - my fuel economy dipped below 16 mpg for the first time since I bought the car.

Not good for a daily.....

I was hungover and ordered a McDonalds a while back. Its less than a mile and a half away as the crow flies but I can't be arsed being sat in traffic in Shipley so Deliveroo seems like a good option. 
I got a notification that it was on its way. 
Screenshot_20220328-091958_Gallery.thumb.jpg.65f53f9bb6ccd0a47482465b05ddf89f.jpg
Ordinarily, thats not unusual but there is a bit of an elevation gain between there and my house. 
Screenshot_20220328-092042_Opera.thumb.jpg.95e77a652755fe93e1a313e289fdfc8d.jpg
Screenshot_20220328-091253_Opera.jpg.2e57becbb33aceb58edcd7a6ac1ef749.jpg
You go girl. 
It ended up being delivered by a bloke in a car though. 

That's a scam so that her brother/husband/son can run multiple Deliveroo accounts (likely to take advantage of new worker benefits) and the bicycle bit is so she/he can avoid Deliveroo's pesky induction questions about car insurance being valid for delivery work. There may also be issues with the bloke who turned up in the car not being a legal immigrant, so he can't register with Deliveroo.

ETA And Deliveroo, UberEats etc. don't give a shit about any of this. Welcome to the UK - a 3rd world country

2 hours ago, chodweaver said:

That's a scam so that her brother/husband/son can run multiple Deliveroo accounts (likely to take advantage of new worker benefits) and the bicycle bit is so she/he can avoid Deliveroo's pesky induction questions about car insurance being valid for delivery work. There may also be issues with the bloke who turned up in the car not being a legal immigrant, so he can't register with Deliveroo.

ETA And Deliveroo, UberEats etc. don't give a shit about any of this. Welcome to the UK - a 3rd world country

Learned something there. Horrible practices. :(

5 hours ago, goosey said:

A work colleague uses his company C class to deliver takeaways for an Indian restaurant, he gets paid cash in hand and doesn’t pay for fuel or running costs so I suppose it’s all profit for him 

And is probably a sackable activity. 

What could go wrong ?  Accident? Delivering to a work colleague? Work colleague dobbing them in because they've pissed them off. HMRC finding out? 

3 hours ago, chodweaver said:

It's *clever because by pretending to be 3 people, they can avoid tax and national insurance, as they can keep below the level they'd start paying.  But also the employee avoids NIC costs. 

*clever as in crafty 

39 minutes ago, New POD said:

And is probably a sackable activity. 

What could go wrong ?  Accident? Delivering to a work colleague? Work colleague dobbing them in because they've pissed them off. HMRC finding out? 

The Manager knows and is ok with him doing it, everyone gets along 

to be fair we get away with quite a lot but at the same time sometimes we have to go above and beyond for the customer eg working late, staying away at the drop of a hat etc 

4 hours ago, chodweaver said:

Yeah, I guessed as much. 

I have absolutely no issue with people playing the system. Okay if its organised crime and they're being exploited by criminal individuals then obviously not but if not why shouldn't people get what they can by pulling a fiddle? If they don't pull a fiddle its not criminal gangs exploiting them, its the corporations so fuck it, get what you can. 

After spending several years working at an IFA helping rich people realise their expensive dreams, normally through tax avoidance and also seeing the ways companies sat around board rooms throwing money at each other until they'd bled the company dry (looking at you SR Gent) it's quite clear that Mustafa and his 3 brothers pulling a fast one to use someone elses allowances isn't the problem in this country. 

The tax office specifically target individuals as they're easy pickings for tax fraud. The big money is obviously stolen by the big companies but they've got more resources to hide the dodgy dealings than the tax office has to investigate it. 

When my dad headed up a small team investigating Datsun UK in the 80s he and his colleagues didn't stand a chance. The only reason the crooks all got caught was because Nissan were so pissed off with them, their huge accounting team did all the work and handed it to my dad. Otherwise Octav and his cronies would've continued to get away with it. 

Britain is only a 3rd world country for most of the people living here, not the businesses trading here. 

52 minutes ago, goosey said:

The Manager knows and is ok with him doing it, everyone gets along 

to be fair we get away with quite a lot but at the same time sometimes we have to go above and beyond for the customer eg working late, staying away at the drop of a hat etc 

There needs to be a bit of give and take in life, that's true.  I remember smashing up my car on the way to work, and my boss went and booked out the pool car for 2 weeks in my name, because he knew I had no way of getting to work otherwise.  

One of the managers did the same a few months later and he gave him no help, telling him to rent a car or get a taxi.  I always wanted to know why not, but didn't dare ask. 

20 hours ago, Crackers said:

Always the passenger side too, which needs a 2-foot pygmy with 10-foot arms to reach because the battery goes right where you want your hand to fanny about with the bulb holder spring clip. 

Not that I'm bitter about it or anything.

See also: M59 Berlingo.  The scars have not faded.

22 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

Seen people driving some quite smart motors delivering Mcdonalds. Must say I had Mcdonalds for "tea" twice last week. Did go and fetch them myself though. 

I saw someone recently who was using a Focus CC to deliver parcels for Yodel. Possibly the least appropriate parcel delivery vehicle you can think of.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

I saw someone recently who was using a Focus CC to deliver parcels for Yodel. Possibly the least appropriate parcel delivery vehicle you can think of.

I go past a Herpes depot most days. If it's got  four wheels, someone will be packing one with parcels. 

8 hours ago, Quintus said:

I saw some one drive onto the curb, in a 67 plate audi A4, open the boot. Full of parcels.  Walked up the road to deliver to one of my neighbours. Surprisingly the wheels had no scuffs. 

8 hours ago, New POD said:

I saw some one drive onto the curb, in a 67 plate audi A4, open the boot. Full of parcels.  Walked up the road to deliver to one of my neighbours. Surprisingly the wheels had no scuffs. 

I'd booked a parcel collection a while ago for a pair of car wheels, boxed up nicely. 

A woman turned up in a battered and filthy Zafira literally full of kids (there was at least 3 more kids than there were seats) then quite aggressively refused to take the parcel off me because she didn't have room and it was "Ridiculous to be sending such big boxes". I took her reg number and sure enough it had no MOT. 

She'd put down "customer not available" on the system so they still charged me for the delivery.

I emailed Yodel/Hermes or whoever it was to complain and try and get my money back, and to tell them that there was someone driving round in an illegal, overloaded unsafe car refusing to pick parcels up. Not one bit interested, and I still never got my refund either.

This twat has crashed his van AGAIN. Lives up the road from me. Already mullered a metal fence on our estate, which would take some effort as you have to drive round at walking pace because of blind corners/narrow/parked cars/cats/kids etc. 

Note the silver wing, which was a replacement from when he bent it a few weeks ago. And the bumper is also scrapyard sourced and has 'CORSAVAN' tippexed onto it.

I really hope he loses his licence, clearly a menace to everyone else. 

IMG_20220329_152159274_HDR.jpg

On 2/17/2022 at 7:18 PM, Lankytim said:

Does anyone remember those NOS Austin A30/A35 door handles I was given a month or so ago?  I sold them on eBay and sent them out via Royal Mail who immediately lost them. Those handles had been in storage for 50 years odd and now they're gone, presumably destroyed. 

I've submitted a claim to RM but it turns out I was only insured up to £20 and not the £40 I sold them for, my own fault as I didn't check, although I did explain the situation to the Postmistress who advised on the best service. I often use Hermes but decided to use RM as I didn't want these items to go missing and RM have a very low loss rate. Seems I was one of the unlucky ones! The customer is pretty upset about it all too. 

Guess what Shiters? The handles have only gone and been delivered! The buyer let me know today and wants to pay for them via bank transfer. What a result! 

What do I do about the refund from RM? nothing presumably?

On 3/28/2022 at 7:55 PM, Quintus said:

One of our regular Yodel idiots has a convertible Micra with the roof duct taped shut.

Today's grump from me?  Apparently it's now basically impossible to electronically file US income taxes electronically unless you have a US mobile phone number.

For those who don't know, tax in the US is a complete clusterfuck.  There is no equivilant to PAYE etc, so you have to file your own taxes, irrespective of if you're working a minimum wage job flipping burgers in McDonald's or earning millions.  It's a giant faff.

My husband is from the US, and as such still has to file his taxes every year - which thanks to a few online services (you have to shop round each year as the ones which don't charge you for the privilege changes year to year) is a *relatively* painless process.  Still takes several hours, but that's about the worst of it.

We've no idea at this point what the solution is going to be...filing them by paper is a non starter as they require several documents which simply don't exist here, paper copies of payslips (which we don't have because they're electronic - and printouts of those aren't acceptable) to name a couple of headaches.

Their parents know someone who works in the field over there so they're going to ask some questions for us.  Hoping they come up with more useful a solution than we've managed to find in several hours.

The general advice online seems to be "Just hire a tax lawyer to do the return for you." Yeah, at about $400 an hour.