The grumpy thread

outlaw118

10 hours ago, mat_the_cat said:

Exactly what I was thinking during one of my rare trips into civilisation today. Seen the complete lack of roundabout awareness you describe, but what took the biscuit was when both sides of the road had stationary traffic, and an ambulance was trying to make its way towards us. Everyone on the other side shuffled to one side, and the cars on my side pulled onto the verge to allow the ambulance, lights going, to come down the middle. Everyone that is, apart from the car directly in front of me who decided to pull around the car in front of him, and head directly for the ambulance! WTactualF?

I've seen them follow an ambulance on a busy motorway like it's a traffic snowplough clearing a route just for them 

3 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

I never ever these days trust anyone to stay in lane or be in the right lane at roundabouts. No one it seems notes they signs on approach , but then decided where to go once actually on the roundabout , normally at the point of exit.

As for close calls at two lanes where the car in the inside just straight lines it…

The council does make a crap job of marking lanes out though , there a new dual carriageway over the brow of a hill is the roundabout , left lane is left turn only but the sign is only on the brow of the hill , it should be marked on the road that it's left turn only for at least 400m before the brow so drivers that don't read signs don't suddenly change lanes when they realise they're in the wrong lane 

J8 on the M62 is awful , westbound left lane goes to IKEA only  but loads go straight on because the road isn't marked at the junction just before it, coming from the other direction it's left lane  for IKEA so there's a queue , right Lance is for the omega park but at weekends it's quiet so people get in the wrong lane then cut across to go straight on 

It's a very badly laid out junction 

2 hours ago, Wack said:

The council does make a crap job of marking lanes out though , there a new dual carriageway over the brow of a hill is the roundabout , left lane is left turn only but the sign is only on the brow of the hill , it should be marked on the road that it's left turn only for at least 400m before the brow so drivers that don't read signs don't suddenly change lanes when they realise they're in the wrong lane 

J8 on the M62 is awful , westbound left lane goes to IKEA only  but loads go straight on because the road isn't marked at the junction just before it, coming from the other direction it's left lane  for IKEA so there's a queue , right Lance is for the omega park but at weekends it's quiet so people get in the wrong lane then cut across to go straight on 

It's a very badly laid out junction 

A local roundabout got an extra lane recently and the signs and arrows all show left lane for left only, right lane for ahead and right (against highway code guidance) but only on one leg of the roundabout. 

So I approach in the right lane to go straight over (2nd exit) and almost every day someone pulls out of the 1st junction infront of me because they expect I am turning right. 

I don't doubt that all call me a twat, but I didn't make the stupid rule.

thats the Focus dying , thanks to road works on Parbold hil it was forced to do a pull away on a steep slope with a heavy load ....

lots of clutch spinning and smoking smells but made it ..

its just made it home .....  clutch slips if I blip the throttle ...

looks like the scrap man cometh ...

Why does anyone order from uber eats / deliverpoo etc?

We've seen them loads of times at the takeaways being arseholes to the staff, but today we saw the other end of it. Pulled into the Mrs's flats car park and there's a bag in the middle of the road, so I moved it rather than run over it. £20 worth of takeaway according to the receipt stapled to the side, delivery time was 20 minutes ago. So doing a yodel n driving to the vague area to dump the food. Guess they get paid as delivered*

On 19/03/2022 at 08:54, Rocket88 said:

Try eating a banana before bed…. Theory is that increasing potassium levels can help with this

I have the same issue with my legs , but with having one kidney I am not allowed/cant eat banana's ..... :-(

On 3/18/2022 at 11:15 PM, HillmanImp said:

Do people here get what I think is called restless leg? Constantly have to stretch my arms and legs or end up doing press ups in the middle of the night to get rid of this awful need to exert stress on my  muscles. 

Its driving me fucking mad. From 8pm onwards every day I'm in agony having to contort myself into strange positions to get rid of it. 

Whats the solution? Is there one? Is this just being old? It sucks. 

Try some Quinine, not sure if you can get it in tablet form but if not neck a load of Indian tonic water . We used to prescribe it during Opiate detoxifications for uncomfortable legs 

@sutty2006

It's not good news mate, been a trying month...

First this 

20220218_124858.thumb.jpg.934dbf4a07678f3d68885187a0e164eb.jpg

20220218_125043.thumb.jpg.b5f659f1c5f343c15041e5d8dde73090.jpg

... has totalled both doors.  I was going to live with it and fit some replacement but then a slapdash bit of mot prep followed by a full power test run... 

...and I've fucked it. I managed to not nip up the tensioner enough so it backed off.  I hopefully reset it all and it runs still, but only on 4, somethings knocking and it smokes. Despite having a spare engine I have little time and less motivation to fit it. I think that's game over for the throbber. ☹

I did actually think about that, I have a battery one, didn't want bits of metal through the food.

Good quality tin-opener said no. So I hammered the top with a 25mm joiner's chisel then twisted the top off with pliers.  What a performance to make a sandwich. Sharp edges there too.

Why not just package it in round easy-to-open tins like a tin of beans? Maybe even with a ringpull?

Animals.

Dumpy the dumped puppy is getting right on my tits. It's either biting me / chewing computer power wire / pissing on rug. It's only playing says Ma. How about we play leave it at idiot sister's house to fuck her things up instead while she's getting pissed in lansergrotty?

The Mrs. has a hamster. She is focusing her OCD powers onto it. Not helped by she's joined an extreme hamster cult facebook group who appear to try and out do each other at being better* hamster owners. You're only using a 20' x 20' room as a hamster enclosure? How barbaric!

She constantly complains that it's "unhappy", and is escalating on buying even more shit to make it happy. It has a large cage. There's an appropriate sized wheel, things to bite, sand pit, food, paper to dig in. It's happy, if rodents actually have emotion. But no she keeps buying more shit that the cultists recommend, that goes in it's 'exercise' enclosure, and that it promptly ignores. 

Every day it's "I've ordered free range organic sticks from the rain forest for it to bite", and when I ask how are they any different from sticks you could pick up for free at the park it's "If you knew anything about hamsters you'd know only rain forest sticks will do. You should read about them and learn something". 

I'm ill. Again.

This getting quite tiring now; I hadn't fully got over the cold/flu I had 2 weekends ago and then today I've pulled out of work early with a raging temperature and dry, persistent cough. And yet I continue to test negative for C19. Bumhats.

I know, first world problem, could be worse etc.

3 hours ago, JeeExEll said:

Trying to open a square tin of corned beef.

Using the little key which immediately breaks, then a tin-opener...

What you want is a Super-Kim!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nogent-Star-Super-Kim-4030-Opener/dp/B001E05WQM

It  will take both ends off a can of Spam & it'll last longer than you will.

24 minutes ago, Crackers said:

This getting quite tiring now; I hadn't fully got over the cold/flu I had 2 weekends ago and then today I've pulled out of work early with a raging temperature and dry, persistent cough. And yet I continue to test negative for C19. Bumhats.

Wait till tomorrow. Mrs J came down with C-19 last week, probably caught it at the weekend when we went North to meet up with her family. I tested on Friday, clear, but got a faint line this morning. Feel OK though, just slight cold symptoms (so far...)

14 hours ago, jakebullet said:

Animals.

Dumpy the dumped puppy is getting right on my tits. It's either biting me / chewing computer power wire / pissing on rug. It's only playing says Ma. How about we play leave it at idiot sister's house to fuck her things up instead while she's getting pissed in lansergrotty?

The Mrs. has a hamster. She is focusing her OCD powers onto it. Not helped by she's joined an extreme hamster cult facebook group who appear to try and out do each other at being better* hamster owners. You're only using a 20' x 20' room as a hamster enclosure? How barbaric!

She constantly complains that it's "unhappy", and is escalating on buying even more shit to make it happy. It has a large cage. There's an appropriate sized wheel, things to bite, sand pit, food, paper to dig in. It's happy, if rodents actually have emotion. But no she keeps buying more shit that the cultists recommend, that goes in it's 'exercise' enclosure, and that it promptly ignores. 

Every day it's "I've ordered free range organic sticks from the rain forest for it to bite", and when I ask how are they any different from sticks you could pick up for free at the park it's "If you knew anything about hamsters you'd know only rain forest sticks will do. You should read about them and learn something". 

On what HarmonicCheeseburger recommended, I can play the recorder... terribly. So if you don't mind your ears bleeding as I screech out 'Mary Had a Little Lamb' then I'm more than happy to assist.

Delivery drivers... Why oh why do they not shut gates??? 

Spent 2 hours yesterday afternoon looking around the local area for the dog after an amazon delivery driver left the garden gate open. Luckily in the end I found the dog at a neighbours who had taken her in after seeing her wandering along the road. But it could have been a lot worse, especially as we live on a very busy main road! If a gate is shut, its shut for a reason so how hard is it to shut it behind you! Grrrr

1 hour ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

On what HarmonicCheeseburger recommended, I can play the recorder... terribly. So if you don't mind your ears bleeding as I screech out 'Mary Had a Little Lamb' then I'm more than happy to assist.

Or you could use a recorder for your own drum and bass remixes like this chap. 

*note, I realise for a lot of people, the flute may be the highlight of this, we all have different likes and dislikes. 

18 hours ago, JeeExEll said:

I did actually think about that, I have a battery one, didn't want bits of metal through the food.

Good quality tin-opener said no. So I hammered the top with a 25mm joiner's chisel then twisted the top off with pliers.  What a performance to make a sandwich. Sharp edges there too.

Why not just package it in round easy-to-open tins like a tin of beans? Maybe even with a ringpull?

I bought a tin of Fray Bentos with a ring pull the other day. Progress? Well, not really. The new packaging was in a  Spam shape tin without the tapering sides, so it was still a b@gger  to get out once the lid was off.