The grumpy thread

outlaw118

3 hours ago, High Jetter said:

No, older or dead.

To be honest, I’m pleased I’m not young (under 30) 

I’m probably a conspiracy theorist but the world seems so fucked up now, and unless you (“one”) has considerable amount of money the younger person is likely to be scraping by all the time. My neighbours son racked up debts of almost £30k getting through university, all to no avail. 
🤷‍♂️ 

Indeed, to all of the above.

I'm in my early 30s, well, 34. Whenever somebody mentions things like sorting out a good pension or whatever, I laugh at them.

You really think retirement is going to be an option 30 years from now? Ha.

Then on top of that, the price of simply existing is spiralling out of control. Fun times to be had by all.

9 hours ago, carburettor said:

To be honest, I’m pleased I’m not young (under 30) 

I’m probably a conspiracy theorist but the world seems so fucked up now, and unless you (“one”) has considerable amount of money the younger person is likely to be scraping by all the time. My neighbours son racked up debts of almost £30k getting through university, all to no avail. 
🤷‍♂️

I was always this way.  I spent a few years in my early 30s despising my parents generation.  There's no way that I could afford to live in the house that my parents brought me up in.  This angered me for some time. 

21 hours ago, HillmanImp said:

I'm watching an episode of Quantum Leap that was set 30yrs in the past from its broadcast date. 

But the actual episode is 32yrs old now, being broadcast in 1989.

It's just made me realise that programmes from the late 1980s are as old now as the Phil Silvers show was when I watched it, and it was fucking ancient wasn't it?

Christ, I'm old. I should've stopped with that but I then worked out that in 1989 Duck Soup was as old as The Monkees tv show is now and I'm doubly depressed. 

I watched Boys from the Blackstuff recently and it dawned on me that the program was made closer to WW2 than today.

6 hours ago, New POD said:

I was always this way.  I spent a few years in my early 30s despising my parents generation.  There's no way that I could afford to live in the house that my parents brought me up in.  This angered me for some time. 

My parents were baby boomers. They struggled. A lot. My dad has got a brand new car. He had to wait until he was 74.

50 minutes ago, Popsicle said:

I watched Boys from the Blackstuff recently and it dawned on me that the program was made closer to WW2 than today.

The title sequence. Has them driving a battered old transit down the dock road, past the liverbuilding, past the bombsite that the Albert dock and "Liverpool one" once were, and South towards the single. If you were to film the same, you would see £££¥¥¥£££££££$$$$$$€€€£¥¥¥₩₩¥££€€££¥$$ investment over the last 40 years. 

4 minutes ago, Bren said:

My parents were baby boomers. They struggled. A lot. My dad has got a brand new car. He had to wait until he was 74.

I don't think mine ever struggled. I don't think any car he owned was second hand since 1959. Most (Apart from an Avenger and a Seirra) were company cars. Since retiring in 2001 he's had 3 new focus estates. 

At one point in the 80s both mum and dad had company cars. 

One thing I do remember is 85% of my school peers were almost certainly better off than us. Proper middle-class affluence on the extreme end of Merseyside. It took me a few years before I discovered life wasnt like that for most people. 

When did drivers get so shit / not give a fuck 

This is all within 2 minutes and 3 roundabouts

Approached a roundabout in the left lane as I'm going straight on , only the twat in the right lane went straight on as well 

Next roundabout a woman in a fiesta stopped dead in front of me when there was nothing on the roundabout , luckily I was nowhere near her 

Then next roundabout there's a car coming round it from my right, not indicating right but the car is positioned for turning right and it's going quite fast so I slow to let him round , then he spots that he doesn't need to go round because this is his exit , most normal people would go round but no with the car all set up for going right he swerves left and only just misses the traffic island.

I'm driving off thinking WTF 

Entitled pricks like this.... Where are the "tyre extinguishers" when you need them!?

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/dad-fuming-after-stranger-parks-23397292

If it was my property, it would have been very hard to stop me drilling a rusty screw into the shoulder of two opposite tyres!! (being a 4x4 its best to change tyres in pairs)

18 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Entitled pricks like this.... Where are the "tyre extinguishers" when you need them!?

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/dad-fuming-after-stranger-parks-23397292

If it was my property, it would have been very hard to stop me drilling a rusty screw into the shoulder of two opposite tyres!! (being a 4x4 its best to change tyres in pairs)

Should have put an old Mondeo*  behind it on axle stands for a week or two.

* Other models of car I dont like are available.

Insurance renewal for the T2 with an agreed value of £25,000 - £217 from Ageus via Footman James. 'Yes please Love, but can you up the value to 30K'. 'Not a bother' retorted she, 'that'll be £288!'

Off to the intergoogles & a broker called ClassicLine who arranged T2 insurance with an agreed value of £30,000 - from Ageus for £206?

I'm fucked if I know and I used to work in the industry.

4 minutes ago, barefoot said:

Insurance renewal for the T2 with an agreed value of £25,000 - £217 from Ageus via Footman James. 'Yes please Love, but can you up the value to 30K'. 'Not a bother' retorted she, 'that'll be £288!'

Off to the intergoogles & a broker called ClassicLine who arranged T2 insurance with an agreed value of £30,000 - from Ageus for £206?

We’ve increased the agreed value policy for the x1/9 every year recently. It’s not made a difference so far but I think there are price bands,

5 minutes ago, barefoot said:

Conversation with Purchasing and Design 

Me: Can we change the design, so that there's a slight lead in so that we can actually automate the assembly of the other part into this part? 

Design: I don't know why we didn't think of that. 

Purchasing: No. The supplier will want to put the price up. 

Me. Find another supplier. 

Purchasing: Never thought of that. 

Design: We haven't got any design resource. 

Me. Ffs

1 hour ago, RoverFolkUs said:

If it were me, I'd have parked my brother in laws car in front of it. And pretended I didn't know whose car it was. 

2 hours ago, Billy - Medhurst said:

Should have put an old Mondeo*  behind it on axle stands for a week or two.

* Other models of car I dont like are available.

58 minutes ago, New POD said:

If it were me, I'd have parked my brother in laws car in front of it. And pretended I didn't know whose car it was. 

These are far better, less destructive options 😁

I'd love to do that. The prick can walk for a few weeks or hire a rental!

19 minutes ago, Pieman said:

I'd have contacted a couple of local scrap merchants/banger racers and offered them a free car.

(Also, how did the RR driver get out?  It looks extremely tight to the walls on that drive.)

Somebody raised that in the comments of the "article" - someone replied to say they probably exited through the boot which is apparently very easy on a range rover (?) 

Or of course it could be completely fake and was parked there for a few mins to take a picture with someone inside!

17 hours ago, barefoot said:

Photographs for the agreed value...

DSCN6743.thumb.JPG.8569ae5e5a4502c16e669d3c51f37f9b.JPG

DSCN6744.thumb.JPG.0f804c4ce37923cd18334b978530e765.JPG

DSCN6747.thumb.JPG.4fe9b9a0b1bd7aa792b586378ce5be5f.JPG

DSCN6748.thumb.JPG.e0d82525bb71370b7a0a0eb97314ab61.JPG

DSCN6749.thumb.JPG.3eae95b1e4e6667e1fd0f68e0f741a55.JPG

DSCN6752.thumb.JPG.eff044feb82d8feb25fe3f8551902ea3.JPG

20 hours ago, barefoot said:

Ageas - my policy is with them.  They've recently been bought up by someone else (I forget who) so will be interesting to see whether that affects my renewal.

On 3/13/2022 at 1:44 PM, HillmanImp said:

Christ, the ice cream van has started his 7 month drive round our village today. I will have the distant sound of Yakety Sax gradually getting louder for hours, before he reaches his crescendo outside the house, then it'll slowly doooooo do do dodo do dur do dodo do doooo de le le le le leeh! away again. 

Fucking torture. 

We have two - Match of the Day theme tune (at max dB) or Whistle While You Work. Sadly, neither are operated by this dude...