The grumpy thread

outlaw118

24 minutes ago, cort1977 said:

Not that I agree with them, but would this actually count as criminal damage?  The tyre can be inflated again without permanent damage.  Maybe they are smarter than we think.

'interfering with a motor vehicle' is an offence and I'm sure tampering with the tyre valves would be classed as a sufficient extent of interference 👍

13 minutes ago, Mrcento said:

Civic has shat itself again. Once again battery randomly draining overnight for no apparent reason (after it did this before around July and has been fine ever since) and even following the correct jump procedure, has managed to desync the immobiliser system so needs recoded (which i can do myself, so not the end of the world)

Just a total ballache of a car.

What year Civic? I can't remember exactly off the top of my head but there's a certain module on the spaceship Civic that's prone to staying 'awake' and draining the battery 

Just now, RoverFolkUs said:

What year Civic? I can't remember exactly off the top of my head but there's a certain module on the spaceship Civic that's prone to staying 'awake' and draining the battery 

2006. I think it is something like that happening. It's either that or damp getting to the fusebox causing some sort of short (which is probably waking the car up or something stupid like that).

It's also the year that if you keep the keys in the ignition when you jump start, it scrambles the immobiliser.

I made 100% sure not to do that, and it still did it. PITA.

Just a total inconvenience, it has other issues (manifold etc) meaning it's getting replaced. This has just kinda accelerated the idea of getting rid 😂

5 minutes ago, Mrcento said:

2006. I think it is something like that happening. It's either that or damp getting to the fusebox causing some sort of short (which is probably waking the car up or something stupid like that).

It's also the year that if you keep the keys in the ignition when you jump start, it scrambles the immobiliser.

I made 100% sure not to do that, and it still did it. PITA.

Just a total inconvenience, it has other issues (manifold etc) meaning it's getting replaced. This has just kinda accelerated the idea of getting rid 😂

2006 that'll be a spaceship then. Some parts for them are ridiculously hard to find and expensive for what they are.

If it's a petrol don't forget the cat might be worth some dosh :)

3 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

2006 that'll be a spaceship then. Some parts for them are ridiculously hard to find and expensive for what they are.

If it's a petrol don't forget the cat might be worth some dosh :)

Yup, that's one of my biggest hates of it. Almost everything outside of brakes is Honda dealer only. At silly prices.

Last MOT i needed to fix a headlight levelling sensor.

I priced it up, it was close to 3x more expensive from Honda than the equivalent one from Bugatti for a veyron.

I ended up repairing the sensors mechanism and making new bracketery for £6.

The only Autogas (LPG) supplier in Cambridge, CamGas, (3 miles from my house and en route to town) has decided that they aren’t going to refill their vehicle tank as they need to prioritise people’s heating tanks for now. A little bit of me thinks this is fair enough but also am a bit pissed off at this decision.  

The next nearest is 13 miles from home and in a direction I never ever travel, Morrisons in Cambourne.

I suppose I’m lucky as I don’t drive to work but petrol C6 funding on its proper fuel is rather costly. 

Trying to see the bigger picture and accept it but struggling to accept the gas company wilfully not filling it up, rather than actually having run out. Huge sympathies to the people actually properly struggling in Ukraine but the increase isn’t all to do with Russia, the energy market went mad before that. 

Oh and the heating oil has gone up to four times the price it was in the (admittedly cheap!) pandemic times. Still double what it should roughly be. Had to order 1000L a few weeks ago, due tomorrow. Have heard from friends that it has gone up another 30p/L since I ordered.

35 minutes ago, Mrcento said:

Yup, that's one of my biggest hates of it. Almost everything outside of brakes is Honda dealer only. At silly prices.

Last MOT i needed to fix a headlight levelling sensor.

I priced it up, it was close to 3x more expensive from Honda than the equivalent one from Bugatti for a veyron.

I ended up repairing the sensors mechanism and making new bracketery for £6.

Annoying price wise, but that's prime autoshiting by "making" a new one :)

3 hours ago, cort1977 said:

Not that I agree with them, but would this actually count as criminal damage?  The tyre can be inflated again without permanent damage.  Maybe they are smarter than we think.

I wonder if sitting 2 tons of car on flat tyres could potentially damage them?

I had a flat on the works van t'other week and while hobbling along at 15mph trying to find somewhere that wasn't a snowy ditch to pull over I went over a speedbump and blew the tyre up. I suspect somebody hopping in a nice modern car with sound deafening galore might not notice a half flat tyre until one goes bang on a bump. Assuming they don't have tyre pressure sensors, obviously.

11 hours ago, HillmanImp said:

Some see you next Tuesday has keyed the Elgrand. 

20220308_130137.thumb.jpg.bb13c744ee84793ba1d4327d8e557f54.jpg

3 panels. I've not owned it long enough to piss anyone off in it. 

Apparently some kid nearby has been caught doing someone elses. However, I've no evidence it was him and will have to suck it up. Presume it was a bit ago when it was parked on the road as they'd struggle to do it on that side on the drive. 

Been and got a quote to tidy this and all the other scuffs and scrapes and have been quoted £1500 for a full bottom half respray. Bummer. 

I'd probably not have bothered before but with this I may as well. 

I had a mate who did body refinishing.

When anyone turned up with a job like yours, he always advised leaving it for 3 months. 'To let the dust settle'.

If it is someone with a grievance, or even without, they often take great pleasure in doing it again knowing you have wasted your money, and won't pay twice.

47 minutes ago, Mally said:

I had a mate who did body refinishing.

When anyone turned up with a job like yours, he always advised leaving it for 3 months. 'To let the dust settle'.

If it is someone with a grievance, or even without, they often take great pleasure in doing it again knowing you have wasted your money, and won't pay twice.

The chap who I'm looking at taking it to is booked up till May anyhow so thats probably takes care of that. 

Apparently some other cars have been done too on the next street. Probably kids.

Mrs wants CCTV now though in case her car gets done, which is more money that this is costing me. 🙄

It almost certainly happened on the road though. 

4 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

'interfering with a motor vehicle' is an offence and I'm sure tampering with the tyre valves would be classed as a sufficient extent of interference 👍

I looked this up and interfering with a motor vehicle is an offence under the criminal attempts act 1981 but only if it is part of an attempt to steal the vehicle. 

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/47/section/9#:~:text=(1)A person is guilty,himself or some other person.

Its got to be some kind of offence but very much doubt the CPS would charge anyone let's face it.

28 minutes ago, cort1977 said:

I looked this up and interfering with a motor vehicle is an offence under the criminal attempts act 1981 but only if it is part of an attempt to steal the vehicle. 

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/47/section/9#:~:text=(1)A person is guilty,himself or some other person.

Its got to be some kind of offence but very much doubt the CPS would charge anyone let's face it.

Good point. Perhaps not interfering with a motor vehicle 1981 then, I hadn't looked into it that closely. 

In that case it might be more to do with the public nuisance offences (just as with any other activist group) or perhaps under the road traffic act 1988 which has a very grey area around interfering with a motor vehicle for contexts outside of theft. 

It could in theory be criminal however as you say, I doubt anyone would be convicted over it unless they take it to the extreme and do something to a car that could be seen as attempted manslaughter like tampering with the brakes in some way

8 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Shopping for a new office chair.  My back isn't the best so actually wanting something halfway decent.  Holy hell they are expensive.  I've always had secondhand ones (best of which was bought for £10 from my old work when we were moving offices), or built my own.  Never bought a new one before...well other than in my student days, but that was a £20 Argos job that fell to bits after about 12 months.

https://www.2ndhnd.com/collections/steelcase/products/steelcase-lets-b-hi-back-task-chair-with-new-black-leather

I can highly recommend this place, though they no longer have stock of my chair.

1 hour ago, cort1977 said:

So you're saying that if I want to go round pub car parks on a Friday night lifting up everyone's rear windscreen wipers, I can?

Lovely!

Been reading the local rag, and the council are planning to turn a major road into no parking / stopping / loading at all times. A man on said road has objected as he has to stop to open his gates to then park his car. Councillor fuckface is quoted as saying they intend to ignore his objection "as nobody has the right to park outside their house". Bit tough shit then if you don't have off street parking and live there or want to order from Amazon.

My mind then wonders a bit... If I was to suddenly become wealthy, I would register "terrible cars LTD", a new challenger to Cazoo. My USP would be if you wanted to buy one of my cars your part ex must be in terrible condition, but with a valid* MOT. Obviously within a short period of time the entire stock would be terrible cars. Which I would park outside councillor fuckface's house, and all around his area. 

Probably a good job I don't have any money.

12 hours ago, cobblers said:

With all due respect, if someone read that and didn't realise it was the most obvious piece of satire, then now I understand why nigerians still send so many emails out

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/why-this-whole-ukraine-invasion-thing-is-a-scam-to-claim-asylum-by-priti-patel-20220301217954

There are more factual news websites. And this one is better. 

I would like to apologise for the inconvenience I obviously caused the cyclists who just saw it fit to make me fold myself into the brambles hanging over the redway so they could stay three abreast and continue their conversation.

I'll endeavour to make myself and the dog fully two dimensional next time.

I'm sure dropping into single file (or even bearing slightly to the left) would have absolutely killed you.

Can I send you the bill for the sweater I just wrecked picking myself and the dog out of the brambles?

P.s. I am also a cyclist which is why such nonsense hacks me off so much, it's you bloody idiots that make everyone else hate us!

21 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

make me fold myself into the brambles

Just don't move that far.  If cyclists are 3-abrest and taking up the entire path, only move slightly out of the way, meaning the cyclist near you has two options:  Brake, drop in behind (as they should) or keep going and risk hitting you with the handlebars, thus knocking themselves off their own bike.

it's then their choice.  You've done what you can.  As a cyclist too, it pisses me off greatly when other cyclists think everyone else should get out of their way!

I’ve been feeling like shit for the last 3-4 days. Work insisted I went for a PCR. 6:10 this morning I get an all clear, then at 15:49 i get another text & e-mail saying I’m positive.

I’m not grumpy because I’m C19 +ve, and I’m  mildly peeved that they either have sent me the wrong result this morning or this afternoon.

What I’m properly pissed off with is my work computer. Away from the work network and it continually stall, crashes or gets the arrow with the whirly ring and fans going like billy-oh