The grumpy thread

outlaw118

11 hours ago, barefoot said:

Gas cylinders for camping are apparently already in short supply again this year. Fuck sticks.

If they made it worthwhile to return unwanted empties , they might not have a problem. £7.50 if you don’t have the original documentation from maybe 20 years ago, having paid £30 or so. Calor can f@ck off, I’d rather dump mine than let them have them back on those terms.

My eldest took herself to the hospital in Sunderland on Friday evening.  Parked n the multi story, was admitted.

She expected just a blood transfusion as she seems to need one every few weeks but they are keeping her in and possibly transferring her to another hospital, Durham most likely.

I went to bring her car back last night.  The expected fee was £8.

Put her reg into the machine and it was recognised, said the machine was only accepting cash, which wasn't a problem, but then said it couldn't find the files and parking was free if I left within twenty minutes.

I should have photographed the screens but was too stupid to think of that at the time.

I am sure there is a huge fine heading her way :(

Also my "I" key needs a very strong press now, probably crumbs but a pan n the bum!

Had great dffculty loggn n too.  Password not recognised.

8 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

What sort / size ?

The run of the mill 15kg blue butane ones.  Nowhere around here (that I know of) has had any for ages save for the one B&Q - who on both occasions I've been there when they have any haven't been able to get me one because of "computer problems."

Been a couple of months since I last tried given the van isn't likely to be getting used until spring anyway so it's not exactly a massive priority.

On 2/3/2022 at 8:17 PM, Dick Longbridge said:

We had the same happen twice with one of our old PD130 Golfs a few years back. It was the slave cylinder both times and as you say, it's internal unfortunately. 

Happened to me on my PD130 Golf too and the DMF shat itself as well.  Worth doing if you like the car (I did) but not cheap if you farm it out.

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

The run of the mill 15kg blue butane ones.  Nowhere around here (that I know of) has had any for ages save for the one B&Q - who on both occasions I've been there when they have any haven't been able to get me one because of "computer problems."

Been a couple of months since I last tried given the van isn't likely to be getting used until spring anyway so it's not exactly a massive priority.

7kg butane and propane are likewise extinct. I tried last week at my local coal and fuel yard. I used to go to my previously quite friendly and accommodating Calor depot where random discounts would always be applied. Since Conronavirus the place had been in near lockdown and you can't even get near let alone inside.  

My lovely* Dualit kettle failed to boil up on Friday. Because this is the fifth fucking Dualit I've owned, I didn't piss about, I ordered a replacement from the Amazon's. Plugged it in & that didn't work either! To my utter, utter amazement it's the socket that's failed. A socket that has always been switched on and has always had the kettle plugged into it since the year dot. Dualit five has been packed safely away & stored. Kettles aren't what they used to be are they?

I'm now going to have to phone my favourite electrician & ask him to replace all of my plugs with them what have USB's in.

3 minutes ago, cobblers said:

Don't put them all USB ones, they're overrated, charge slowly and pack up after not very long.

I put about 15 in my old house, three different brands. Three years later, only four sockets still work!

Yea I was thinking this the other day, I've a couple dotted around the house by a previous owner. 

Chargers can get toasty depending on the design. Can't be good for longevity if they're cooped up behind a socket without any air movement to keep them cool. 

I tend to still use ones I can plug in still... 

Why would you need Dualit , once is bad enough , kettle looked scabby n scaly quickly , 4 slice toaster  intermittently failing for about six months , roulette on which slice would be undercooked or incinerated or rarely all pop up at the same time ... Made in Crawley apparently , spares availability and warranty absolute p.i.t.a

Binned , overpriced shite

And speaking of overpriced shite, went into a furniture shop called Barker and Stonehouse in that big shopping park near Batley. Ms Spurious wanted a look whilst we picked up some crockery in home sense. 

Filled to the rafters with overpriced tat. Honestly. 

Look at this. It's a shelve made of welded box section with some reclaimed timber. Howfuckingmuch? 

IMG_20220205_155345.thumb.jpg.feed8448af212d30a81b0dd6f06a8503.jpg

Yes. £1279. On a "clear out". Fucks sake, fools and their money easily parted. Never mind fools, they'd need sectioning. 

IMG_20220205_155340.thumb.jpg.0b9ee13630f2ad43831759f1f1a2fecd.jpg

9 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Why would you need Dualit , once is bad enough , kettle looked scabby n scaly quickly , 4 slice toaster  intermittently failing for about six months , roulette on which slice would be undercooked or incinerated or rarely all pop up at the same time ... Made in Crawley apparently , spares availability and warranty absolute p.i.t.a

Binned , overpriced shite

Hang on it’s made in Britain so it must be fantastic... we can’t even put a kettle together properly now. 

8 minutes ago, Spurious said:

And speaking of overpriced shite, went into a furniture shop called Barker and Stonehouse in that big shopping park near Batley. Ms Spurious wanted a look whilst we picked up some crockery in home sense. 

Look at this. It's a shelve made of welded box section with some reclaimed timber. Howfuckingmuch? 

Yes. £1279. On a "clear out". Fucks sake, fools and their money easily parted. Never mind fools, they'd need sectioning. 

Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles could work together to build something nicer IMO.

8 minutes ago, Spurious said:

£1200! I think I need to get the welder out...

6 hours ago, cobblers said:

Don't put them all USB ones, they're overrated, charge slowly and pack up after not very long.

I put about 15 in my old house, three different brands. Three years later, only four sockets still work!

I don’t trust them for having a live transformer in . I put a couple in my garage ( MK cos paranoid so wanted a known make ) and one has died after about 6 months 

6 hours ago, Spurious said:

This is madness. I think I have never given more than 25 pounds for a piece of furniture. Got a lot for free too.