The grumpy thread

outlaw118

My mother's mother was adopted and my uncle has been working to find out who her father was. And he has now managed that, so my unknown great-grandfather was a German and a mechanic in the German army in WW2. He was sent to the eastern front after Norway and was killed in the battle of Narva only 25 years old and his remains have never been found. This has given me chills and made me think a lot, only 25 years old no matter which side one is on this is terrible, at home there were parents who never got to see their son again, and in Norway there was one who never got to meet her father and himself who had such a short life and probably lies unidentified in an unknown mass grave somewhere in Estonia. We humans when it comes to it are basically idiots.

16 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

My mother's mother was adopted and my uncle has been working to find out who her father was. And he has now managed that, so my unknown great-grandfather was a German and a mechanic in the German army in WW2. He was sent to the eastern front after Norway and was killed in the battle of Narva only 25 years old and his remains have never been found. This has given me chills and made me think a lot, only 25 years old no matter which side one is on this is terrible, at home there were parents who never got to see their son again, and in Norway there was one who never got to meet her father and himself who had such a short life and probably lies unidentified in an unknown mass grave somewhere in Estonia. We humans when it comes to it are basically idiots.

Amen brother. 

I know there's been various threads on here about used car prices, but having actually been trying to buy a car for the last day or two I'm wondering how much of it is down to people flipping stuff. I know it's legal and all that, but Jesus it's frustrating. 

I mentioned on here the cat on my sister in laws Civic was stolen at the weekend - she decided she wanted something new. Fair enough. She's not on Facebook, so I said I'd keep an eye on it to see if anything decent was posted. 

Without exception, everything I've sent her (Fiesta x2, Ka, Astra, Micra, Megane) was sold or had someone coming to see it in the next hour by the time she said she was interested. The slowest was within 4 hours of the advert being posted, the fastest was in 27 minutes. Without fail, they've all been listed the next day by someone else for between 50% and 100% more than the original price. The best is the Megane which has actually been flipped twice - its gone from £1,895 to £2,795 to £3,395...

Because she needs a car to get to work, she's therefore ended up paying £1300 for a 54- plate Golf FSi from a bombsite car dealer, which is possibly not the optimal outcome. 

20220115161244_IMG_6301

My Audi just shat it's clutch slave cylinder from what I can tell. I was out on my lunch break earlier and the pedal suddenly went to the floor and it was stuck in third gear. I nursed it to a suitable place to abandon it and went back to work. I arranged for recovery and went back to it an hour later and it was drivable, the clutch bite was right at the floor but it was possible to go in and out of gear. I had it recovered anyway and had a quick look underneath for leaks, the only damp area I could find was between the bellhousing and gearbox, the slave is internal and from what I've read it's a bit labour intensive and expensive to sort out. 

Bums.

6 minutes ago, DodgyBastard said:

20220115161244_IMG_6301

My Audi just shat it's clutch slave cylinder from what I can tell. I was out on my lunch break earlier and the pedal suddenly went to the floor and it was stuck in third gear. I nursed it to a suitable place to abandon it and went back to work. I arranged for recovery and went back to it an hour later and it was drivable, the clutch bite was right at the floor but it was possible to go in and out of gear. I had it recovered anyway and had a quick look underneath for leaks, the only damp area I could find was between the bellhousing and gearbox, the slave is internal and from what I've read it's a bit labour intensive and expensive to sort out. 

Bums.

We had the same happen twice with one of our old PD130 Golfs a few years back. It was the slave cylinder both times and as you say, it's internal unfortunately. 

There's been water pissing down our road all week, it's filled the drain on one side of the road and it's also coming out of the one on the opposite side. Anglian water came out and minced around on Monday. Obviously not fixed and clearly them wasting a "precious resource" is not a problem.

3 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Same age as Musical Offspring... 😕

1 hour ago, DodgyBastard said:

20220115161244_IMG_6301

Bums.

Can a strategic bit of the bellhousing not be excised and re-attached ?? surely a shiter with your welding prowess ....... :) 

1 hour ago, DodgyBastard said:

20220115161244_IMG_6301

Bums.

That's what wrote one of my lagunii off. The clutch pedal would just sink with repeated use, the bite point sinking with it. Could always pull the pedal back up and normal service would resume for a while though... 

It gave me the fear, then I priced up a clutch and all associated and sent the car to ASM before it exploded on me in rush hour on the a404

2 hours ago, angle said:

I know there's been various threads on here about used car prices, but having actually been trying to buy a car for the last day or two I'm wondering how much of it is down to people flipping stuff. I know it's legal and all that, but Jesus it's frustrating. 

I mentioned on here the cat on my sister in laws Civic was stolen at the weekend - she decided she wanted something new. Fair enough. She's not on Facebook, so I said I'd keep an eye on it to see if anything decent was posted. 

Without exception, everything I've sent her (Fiesta x2, Ka, Astra, Micra, Megane) was sold or had someone coming to see it in the next hour by the time she said she was interested. The slowest was within 4 hours of the advert being posted, the fastest was in 27 minutes. Without fail, they've all been listed the next day by someone else for between 50% and 100% more than the original price. The best is the Megane which has actually been flipped twice - its gone from £1,895 to £2,795 to £3,395...

Because she needs a car to get to work, she's therefore ended up paying £1300 for a 54- plate Golf FSi from a bombsite car dealer, which is possibly not the optimal outcome. 

The dealers I watch on the YouTubes are all buying from FB marketplace as the auction  prices are so crazy..

Just now, Bren said:

I have noticed how badly buses appear to be driven these days. It was almost rammed home to me today when one crossed into my lane and made me take evasive action. Is everybody crap these days?

Reminds me of when I was nearly done in by the Dunure bus. I was in the left hand lane for going right and it was in the right hand lane. I move off at the lights as does it, it takes the corner wide and then nearly takes me out. Was inches from my door.

So yes, I believe that everyone is crap these days.

As a coach driver I have to defend some of us. Driving a 50ft long vehicle that doesn't bend in the middle means sometimes we need a bit more space. It's amazing how many car drivers shout at me " how much space do you think you need" in an aggressive manner.

However there is no need for some of my colleagues to use there size to bully other drivers. Like most lorry drivers do.

13 minutes ago, andyberg said:

As a coach driver I have to defend some of us. Driving a 50ft long vehicle that doesn't bend in the middle means sometimes we need a bit more space. It's amazing how many car drivers shout at me " how much space do you think you need" in an aggressive manner.

However there is no need for some of my colleagues to use there size to bully other drivers. Like most lorry drivers do.

My apologies if it came across that I was tarring you all with the same brush, by the way. 

One point I'd definitely make is that overall driving standards have slipped further by some I reckon, not just in buses but across all vehicles. Can't vouch for boats mind you! 😆

Cars that break themselves while standing still...

Fixed the Saab by replacing the DIC and it decided while parked up to snap a spring. While parked up waiting to get the car into the garage to get the springs done, it's chucked up a gearbox fault light. 

Mot tester says it needs rear bushes as well as springs. Codes say the gearbox needs a solenoid replacing.

2 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

My apologies if it came across that I was tarring you all with the same brush, by the way. 

One point I'd definitely make is that overall driving standards have slipped further by some I reckon, not just in buses but across all vehicles. Can't vouch for boats mind you! 😆

No offence taken. I agree driving standards are generally pretty shocking now.

2 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

For boats, look at what happened in the Suez canal...