The grumpy thread

outlaw118

24 minutes ago, Bren said:

Since covid my breathing has been bad - I feel like collapsing climbing the stairs. Went to the walk in centre - diagnosed with sinusitis and a chest infection. Given antibiotics and steroids.

Feeling very low.

It’s a miserable time of the year which doesn’t help. 

Keep going, it’ll get better.

On 26/01/2022 at 20:35, cobblers said:

After having a welding spark land in my ear when I was wedged under an MX5 in the rain at the side of a busy road, you have all my sympathy

Years ago - 1969 probably, I had a terrible earache not long after I went to Sweden.

Girlfriend's mother took me to their doctor, a Dr Thobjär, who poke something like a very aggressive crochet needle in my lug and withdrew a massive wax plug.  Never had any noticeable earwax prior to that.

A few years later I read in a Leonard Cohen novel, "The Favorite Game" how his mother used to pour hydrogen peroxide in his and his sisters lugs.  I liked the idea following his description of the fizzing in their ears.

Bought a litre of it last year and use it perhaps once a month as my ears have recently been a bit itchy and feel a bit sort of 'oily' sometimes.

Blast them out with water while in the shower then dry with lugholepokers.  Nor recommended.

Re: deliveries.  I have DPD, Hermes and some anonymous cars and vans that deliver here.  Never a problem, all very pleasant people, both men and women.

51 minutes ago, Bren said:

Since covid my breathing has been bad - I feel like collapsing climbing the stairs. Went to the walk in centre - diagnosed with sinusitis and a chest infection. Given antibiotics and steroids.

Feeling very low.

Hope you feel better soon, @Bren

1 hour ago, Spiny Norman said:

I won't buy from someone who's going to use DPD, Hermes or Yodel as 'logistic solutions providers'. I'll take my chances with RM any day over these chimps.

RM is only any good up to 2kg , then it goes to about £9 which is the we don't want it price , I'll go back to UPS but they're all shit.

I have had parcels delivered by DPd, herpes and dhl.

Dpd always arrive when I’m out and say they will deliver the following day. Then at times arrive at about 7 or 8 pm. Hermes don’t leave a card at all. I can’t remember what Drop it Hide it and Lose it do, but fuck them. I worked for them ages ago, they are cunts to work for.

I’ll always use the Royal Mail if I can, to stop some government wankers trying to privatise it

2 minutes ago, carburettor said:

I’ll always use the Royal Mail if I can, to stop some government wankers trying to privatise it

Bit late for that... https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-3270365/Royal-Mail-fully-privatised-time-500-year-history-Government-divests-final-14-cent-stake.html

I've never had a problem with Hermes, but I went to school with the young lad of the local courier and his wife.

1 minute ago, carburettor said:

I’ll always use the Royal Mail if I can, to stop some government wankers trying to privatise it.

+1 on this. Only ever had one issue with RM - speaking of, my BASF cassettes I ordered (part of two separate batches from a mate) should have arrived approximately... checks watch... five years ago. Other than that, I canny complain. Most stuff can be replaced.

1 hour ago, Agila said:

Confession time.

When I was one of those twats, I tripped and fell in the back of a 7.5t truck and stuck a size 10 through this geezer's box. 

The look on the guy's face when he answered the door and looked at the package, he kept looking at me, looking at the box, back at me, back at the box etc.

I panicked and lied "it was like that when I got it mate, sorry".

I feel better for sharing 16 years later. I might* have even laughed when I got back in the van.

#sorry,not really.

Shit story from your end though. Crap if you miss out on dosh caused by muppets.

I worked for ANC in 1990 , I think they got absorbed into geopost which then became DHL I think 

Not once did I knowingly break something , I was horrified when I saw them unloading CRT computer monitors sliding them along the floor  , they'd hit the join in the floor then roll the rest of the way 

I did nearly lose a pallet once , flt driver loaded it and pulled the roller shutter down while I was getting the paperwork , I looked at it and thought happy days 

Trundling along the dual carriageway and this bloke starts waving at me so I pull over , numbnuts had pulled the shutter down but not closed the handle which hooks into the body 

The pallet was hanging off the back , it was a fuuuccckkkk moment so I just shoved it back on and kept my mouth shut , after that I always checked the door was shut , usually twice 

1 hour ago, Wack said:

I worked for ANC in 1990 , I think they got absorbed into geopost which then became DHL I think 

Not once did I knowingly break something , I was horrified when I saw them unloading CRT computer monitors sliding them along the floor  , they'd hit the join in the floor then roll the rest of the way 

I did nearly lose a pallet once , flt driver loaded it and pulled the roller shutter down while I was getting the paperwork , I looked at it and thought happy days 

Trundling along the dual carriageway and this bloke starts waving at me so I pull over , numbnuts had pulled the shutter down but not closed the handle which hooks into the body 

The pallet was hanging off the back , it was a fuuuccckkkk moment so I just shoved it back on and kept my mouth shut , after that I always checked the door was shut , usually twice 

ANC were never the same after Nelson Mandela died.

13 hours ago, Crackers said:

I'm a bit worried that the MX-5 is going to turn into one of "those" cars

It fucking heard me. 

Lowered my window this morning to swipe my card to access the car park. Would the little prick go back up afterwards? 

Would it fuck. 

😡

16 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

I'll jump on the feeling like shit bandwagon.

Had flu-like symptoms since Sunday. I keep testing negative for the covids but my head feels like it's full to the brim with phlegm and I generally just feel rough. Blegh.

Get well soon.

26 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

I'll jump on the feeling like shit bandwagon.

Had flu-like symptoms since Sunday. I keep testing negative for the covids but my head feels like it's full to the brim with phlegm and I generally just feel rough. Blegh.

I felt like shit for over a week before testing positive.

24 minutes ago, Bren said:

I felt like shit for over a week before testing positive.

Me too. That was the week before Christmas. Tested +ve Christmas morning. Was properly ill for 10 days-2 weeks, and slow gradual recovery since, including post covid chest infection and antibiotics. Managed a short walk yesterday. Hoping to return to work on Monday.
For those of you ill/coming down with it, I feel for you and wish you speedy and full recoveries.

13 minutes ago, inconsistant said:

Me too. That was the week before Christmas. Tested +ve Christmas morning. Was properly ill for 10 days-2 weeks, and slow gradual recovery since, including post covid chest infection and antibiotics. Managed a short walk yesterday. Hoping to return to work on Monday.
For those of you ill/coming down with it, I feel for you and wish you speedy and full recoveries.

I went back in work a couple of weeks ago but I was a bit hasty.

I just sold a headlamp on EBay, great I thought one gone one to go. That was until they took over £6 off an item selling for £42. So I also needed to buy parcel tape and bubble wrap, another £5 I parcelled it up and took it to my local post office, as it’s over 2 kgs it was too heavy for Royal Mail, so parcelforce then. Yes, that’s £11.00 + and they don’t insure vehicle parts now.

So not counting the packing, the box and petrol for taking it to my local post office I’ve got £20 for a headlamp which is absolutely fucking pointless.

Fuck parcelforce, fuck EBay and fuck the parts, they are going to the local tip. I’m able to be too busy sleeping rather than go to all that trouble for less than £20

39 minutes ago, carburettor said:

I just sold a headlamp on EBay, great I thought one gone one to go. That was until they took over £6 off an item selling for £42. So I also needed to buy parcel tape and bubble wrap, another £5 I parcelled it up and took it to my local post office, as it’s over 2 kgs it was too heavy for Royal Mail, so parcelforce then. Yes, that’s £11.00 + and they don’t insure vehicle parts now.

So not counting the packing, the box and petrol for taking it to my local post office I’ve got £20 for a headlamp which is absolutely fucking pointless.

Fuck parcelforce, fuck EBay and fuck the parts, they are going to the local tip. I’m able to be too busy sleeping than go to all that trouble for less than £20

The tip or marketplace. Ebay is slowly cutting it's own throat.

1 hour ago, carburettor said:

Fuck parcelforce, fuck EBay and fuck the parts, they are going to the local tip. I’m able to be too busy sleeping than go to all that trouble for less than £20

I'm broadly with you on eBay being rubbish now. I haven't sold anything since they stopped sellers being paid directly via PayPal. It does help to plan ahead though with postage etc. You could have weighed them and worked out postage before listing. Have you edited the postage cost on the other headlight yet? I've been caught out with the weight thing before, and also with agreeing to combine postage for two items only to find out it's then above the value that the Post Office will take so had to drive to the RM collection office instead.  Also you don't have to buy bubble wrap, old/free newspapers or old rags/textiles are fine. You'll get several parcels out of that roll of parcel tape I'm sure. On the plus side you got £20 more than the tip are paying. 

Also worth checking out parcel2go and Royal Mail directly @carburettor

Parcel2go lets you compare loads of couriers and then Royal Mail directly will have their own parcel service which you drop at a royal mail sorting office (not a post office). Both can be setup online 

Agree with others on recycling packaging. I've even used cornflakes boxes with shredded paper from the shredder in work to bulk out boxes for transport. 

It can certainly be done cheaper than the Post Office who are quite expensive for anything bigger than a small parcel (books, dvds etc). 

The cassette deck (1980/81 Technics RS-M215) I've had in my bedroom for years was moved through to the living room stereo this morning. It's now running off-speed, I'm guessing the belts are finally dying - worst case scenario the motor is away.

I mean, 41 years on the original belts is good going mind you. I could replace the belts, but that's outside of my technical capabilities.

I have an Aiwa double cassette deck of roughly the same vintage.  Been buried in a cupboard for about fifteen years.  Dragged it out to listen to my Cornelis Vreeswijk "spring Mot Ulla Spring" tape and both decks fail to turn the capstans.  Hoping it needs new belts but I probably won't be that lucky.

Just now, High Jetter said:

You might only need a screwdriver.

For adjusting the potentiometer for the motor, aye?

That's how I buggered up my Technics RS-B205 due to idiocy lol, which I then made worse by trying to replace the motor on. Waiting for a mechanism for it as well.

1 minute ago, myglaren said:

I have an Aiwa double cassette deck of roughly the same vintage.  Been buried in a cupboard for about fifteen years.  Dragged it out to listen to my Cornelis Vreeswijk "spring Mot Ulla Spring" tape and both decks fail to turn the capstans.  Hoping it needs new belts but I probably won't be that lucky.

Those Aiwas, if it's the ones with the cool front lip panel things, are notorious for needing belts, and being a bitch to replace them, I think. Good decks though.

I'm more of a Technics man mind you, but I have a special place for Aiwa in my heart lol.

Just now, AnnoyingPentium said:

Those Aiwas, if it's the ones with the cool front lip panel things, are notorious for needing belts, and being a bitch to replace them, I think. Good decks though.

Excellent news!

I may just stick it back in the cupboard for another decade.

3 minutes ago, myglaren said:

Excellent news!

I may just stick it back in the cupboard for another decade.

I have a Sony twin deck (TC-WR445) you could have for a couple of quid for postage. Think it needs new belts but it's a simple enough system that Stevie Wonder could replace them, IIRC.

Anyway, I shall leave it at that since I don't want to stray away from the topic even further lol.