The grumpy thread

outlaw118

5 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Depends a lot on the amount of maintenance needed on certain vehicles....

Better get eating then, especially if a particular plan comes to fruition over the next few weeks... 

I'd recommend not getting in a car with me for a while. Could be a bit... Beany...

3 minutes ago, Crackers said:

You're saying I need to eat more beans? 

Also depends on you keeping a safe distance from anyone else. 

As for re-using containers: I use douwe egberts coffee jars for all store cupboard stuff like flour, sugar, pasta and herbs. The best shed I’ve seen was a few years ago and owned by a retired  Heathrow engineer. He successfully drilled out a snapped head stud on my 2cv cyclinder head.  His shed had row on row of shelving  full of coffee jars with the lids screwed to the shelf above. Screws, nuts, bolts, nails whatever, all on hand to select.

Nowt wrong with a fray bentos pie. When I was at uni I'd have them "for a special treat".

Got absolutely wankered and emotional one night and bought a load of them and posted them each with 5 first class stamps on to my mates and family back home. No packaging, just wrote the address on some paper and taped it on the pies the put them in the post box.

they all arrived unharmed.

In fact, I really do need to stick a few of them in the camper van to go with my emergency all day breakfast in a can etc. 

16 minutes ago, cobblers said:

Nowt wrong with a fray bentos pie. 

Last Fray Bentos pie I had I couldn't get the lid off! Had a right battle with all the tin openers I could find. Haven't braved one since. Mind you, I should get a decent Tin opener too!

14 minutes ago, dave j said:

Last Fray Bentos pie I had I couldn't get the lid off! Had a right battle with all the tin openers I could find. Haven't braved one since. Mind you, I should get a decent Tin opener too!

Top tip from Mrs Agila.

Hold the tin opener only, do not hold the tin, just let it hang horizontally.

My Mrs opens them effortlessly in 10 seconds after I struggle like a prick for 10 minutes and only open an eighth of it.

On 1/16/2022 at 9:04 PM, dave j said:

Put them in the oven with the lid on. They tend to open themselves.

I remember coming home from a night out and finding my house mate passed out on his bed with a handful of fray bentos steak and kidney  pie in one hand and the rest of the half cooked pie in the other still in the tin with a big claw mark out it.

The next day his pillow had a big head shaped clear spot were his head was while he slept but rest of it was covered in gravy . Never really fancied them after that for some reason .

On 1/14/2022 at 7:25 PM, Zelandeth said:

Postie this morning.

Rang doorbell.  I was actually downstairs at the time so got there pretty quickly.  Made direct eye contact through the window, then stuck a "sorry we missed you" slip through the letterbox.

Then proceeded to completely ignore me shouting (politely!) after him as he walked the (15 metres or so) back down the garden path to his van and buggered off.

Thing is...he never even took the parcels out of the damned van in the first place, so no idea what he was playing at.

That is very very wrong. I'll fully admit that I am more helpful to some people than others but they have to have been a miserable git to me in the first place. I always try quite hard to get rid of the packets because filling the form out is a pain in the arse. I'll try a neighbour if I think they'll be in or try and hide it somewhere. The latter is not official policy but as all the couriers do it our management have sort of accepted it as that is what we are up against. I almost take it as a challenge now to find a hiding place. I'll try the side gate and if it's locked, stick my hand over the top to see if it's just a sliding bolt. One I was particularly pleased with recently, someone left a lawnmower in the front garden so I took the grass box off it, put the packet it in and put it back on again. Then put a card in to tell them obviously as they'd never find it there. 

But as I say, I know some neighbours don't get on and it's usually obvious which one is the protagonist (it takes a while to gain this info but once you've been on a delivery long enough you pick these things up) so I won't try as hard for them but I'd still knock the door and politely hand it over (it's actually quite satisfying being nice and polite to miserable people). 

But I don't see any reason to behave like the guy above. We have a few idiots at our office, though probably no more than any other workplace of the same size, but I don't think any of them would behave like that. I would definitely complain, he doesn't sound like he should be a postman. 

The Asbo wannabes in the motorsport halls have brought their 'project cars' along with them. We've just been serenaded* with the dulcet tones of Fords and Hondas being redlined constantly for around 10 minutes. Then, they decided a round two was in order, but this time complete with handbrake turns and racing down the approach road.

44 minutes ago, Yoss said:

That is very very wrong. I'll fully admit that I am more helpful to some people than others but they have to have been a miserable git to me in the first place. I always try quite hard to get rid of the packets because filling the form out is a pain in the arse. I'll try a neighbour if I think they'll be in or try and hide it somewhere. The latter is not official policy but as all the couriers do it our management have sort of accepted it as that is what we are up against. I almost take it as a challenge now to find a hiding place. I'll try the side gate and if it's locked, stick my hand over the top to see if it's just a sliding bolt. One I was particularly pleased with recently, someone left a lawnmower in the front garden so I took the grass box off it, put the packet it in and put it back on again. Then put a card in to tell them obviously as they'd never find it there. 

But as I say, I know some neighbours don't get on and it's usually obvious which one is the protagonist (it takes a while to gain this info but once you've been on a delivery long enough you pick these things up) so I won't try as hard for them but I'd still knock the door and politely hand it over (it's actually quite satisfying being nice and polite to miserable people). 

But I don't see any reason to behave like the guy above. We have a few idiots at our office, though probably no more than any other workplace of the same size, but I don't think any of them would behave like that. I would definitely complain, he doesn't sound like he should be a postman. 

When I did the job for a year I found most people to be fine. The one Christmas I was there I got £5 tip from the father of Guto Harri, the BBC presenter. Which was very generous in 1988. And with all the other smaller tips I got it made up a good lump. But maybe people were nicer then. Also, South Wales is probably not as miserable as England.

On 1/12/2022 at 5:38 PM, hairnet said:

royal phail

tldr

im expecting the letter for the 20th to be sometime here in march :(

had a letter off them today dated the 8th december for appt 16th december :(

a month ffs - no wonder they told me the time before last id missed appointments - just a shame they wont tell me about changes in phone messages - it causes them more grief than me if stuff is missed (like someone else could have a go with worse issues etc)

apparently not

id asked them seeing as they have mobile number and they rang me to leave a 'please ring us' message why they didnt just say what they wanted to change - as what they were talking about wasnt medically senstive

they said they dont do it like that

letters it is - its soo 1923

which is a shame as it shouldnt be any type of hassle

Just now, hairnet said:

apparently not

id asked them seeing as they have mobile number and they rang me to leave a 'please ring us' message why they didnt just say what they wanted to change - as what they were talking about wasnt medically senstive

they said they dont do it like that

letters it is - its soo 1923

which is a shame as it shouldnt be any type of hassle

but then its not the hossys fault - ITS ALL ABOUT ROYAL FAIL

the hospital(s) have been fine - its yon red feckers that are causing the trouble