The grumpy thread

outlaw118

3 minutes ago, Spurious said:

The only time I'll go with ebay is if the part number is visible in the photo as is with some parts that have been sitting on a shelf for a while or NOS parts. 

Autodoc I've had good success with as their parts reference system is excellent. 

Did that. Ordered off the part number on the old one, it had a prefix that was different to the others available but matched the one I’d taken out, arrived and it’s wrong fucking one. I don’t think my mood is helped with having to fuck about with this after work outside in January.

If there were reliable garages nearby I’d wholeheartedly be giving them the job of PITA jobs this time of year. But unfortunately the ones nearby are almost notoriously bad, I’ve a bloke that does the test for me but he’s winding up soon no doubt as he’s in his sixties plus it’s miles from where I live now. Finding a decent garage is difficult it seems these days.

2 hours ago, carburettor said:

Salvage Hunters, Drew Prickchard. Someone on here may already have commented, in the past & may even like the obnoxious condescending prick.

He is currently fixing (I know it’s a repeat) Renault 4, I love the car! He is putting Renner 5 Gordini alloy wheels on it.

Then he buys a Jaguar XJS & proceeds to remove the genuine, period* TWR body kit. Admittedly it looks better without, but I find him so irritating, I could cheerfully punch the ginger cunt.

And that prick Brewer, Tadaa!

Never mind, it’s probably just me 🤓

I guess I could simply watch Heartbeat again.

*in more ways than one I guess.

He’s an insufferable opinionated little twat

On 1/13/2022 at 7:56 AM, paulplom said:

Buy an identical one but keep the receipt. Wait a couple of weeks then take the broken one back for a refund. Simples.

I used to but various goods as seconds from ebay, buy the same one from argos then re-box the faulty one for a refund. 

The best one was a 2nd hand disney cars portable telly with built in dvd. I paid £30 as the dvd made a screeching noise when it was running. Bought the same one from argos and returned the faulty one for a refund. A brand new telly for the boy for £30. Argos are too soft, they never question anything.

This reads as if you're proud of yourself, not ashamed.

Just now. Sitting at the dining room table, working at the computer. Cat sitting on the table beside me, ignoring me.

I took my watch off and put it on the table. Cat looked at it, kicked it off the table and turned his head back to look out of the window. All without standing. Just a one leg flick.

3 hours ago, horriblemercedes said:

I took my watch off and put it on the table. Cat looked at it, kicked it off the table and turned his head back to look out of the window. All without standing. Just a one leg flick.

I'd push the cat off the table (after retrieving said watch)

Postie this morning.

Rang doorbell.  I was actually downstairs at the time so got there pretty quickly.  Made direct eye contact through the window, then stuck a "sorry we missed you" slip through the letterbox.

Then proceeded to completely ignore me shouting (politely!) after him as he walked the (15 metres or so) back down the garden path to his van and buggered off.

Thing is...he never even took the parcels out of the damned van in the first place, so no idea what he was playing at.

On the subject of eBay parts - the third wheel bearing kit I ordered for the Mazda has arrived, but it's STILL got the wrong fucking hub nut in it.  The bearings are two different reference (they're handed due to the hub nut threads) - I've got two of one and one of t'other, all with LH thread hub nuts.

I've found a kit on eBay which appears from the photos to contain two nuts - I've emailed the seller asking for confirmation that there's a RH thread one in there, but I have a feeling they won't know what I'm talking about and I won't get a response.  I'm getting perilously close to getting the welder out and just tacking the existing (knackered) nut in place.

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

Postie this morning.

Rang doorbell.  I was actually downstairs at the time so got there pretty quickly.  Made direct eye contact through the window, then stuck a "sorry we missed you" slip through the letterbox.

Then proceeded to completely ignore me shouting (politely!) after him as he walked the (15 metres or so) back down the garden path to his van and buggered off.

Thing is...he never even took the parcels out of the damned van in the first place, so no idea what he was playing at.

Probably didn’t have the parcel with them.

6 hours ago, horriblemercedes said:

Just now. Sitting at the dining room table, working at the computer. Cat sitting on the table beside me, ignoring me.

You didn't ask permission to put said watch on his table ,did you?

14 hours ago, horriblemercedes said:

Cats are sadistic bastards, something that is obvious whenever they interact with rodents or songbirds. He/she can't eviscerate you, so has to settle for tormenting you.

3 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

Some putting their shopping bag on it then dragging it off, probably a woman's bag with buckles.

Maybe...

Good thinking. I was hedging my bets on a cat since there's two my neighbour has that like to terrify my dog and be a general nuisance. These aren't just your standard "no so threatening" cats, these barstewards are built like brick shithooses.

Standard "main dealer servicing moan to follow:

Wifes car went in for a service this morning, against my better judgement she booked it into AC and tbh they weren't too bad last year.

£129 for the "full service" required. Not horrific I suppose. Dropped it off and went off in to town with her for a bit, and after an hour she got a message with "Urgent extra work your car needs" or something along those lines.

They recommended the car needed 3 new tyres @ £430. In reality the rears are 4 years old and on 4.5/5mm tread, the fronts were fresh on before the last MOT 8000 miles ago. The fronts are honestly like fucking new. Matching continentals. There's easily 20k miles left in these tyres, and if AC were selling the car there's not a fucking chance in the world that they'd put new ones on!

Advised the front disks and pads need doing, and quoted £350 for this. They could do with changing, I agree, but fuck me its £80 for the bits and an hours work.

OS Main beam bulb had failed. AC quoted us £41 to change it, I presumed it much be a bit of a fuck about for them to bill half an hours labour for it, but I got a £3 bulb from wilkos and changed it in the car park when we picked the car up. Genuinely the easiest bulb change I've had to do, a 30 second job - I didn't even have to put my bacon sandwich down.

So yeah they recommended £430 of completely unrequired work, wanted easily double what any "reasonable" place would charge for the work that it actually needed.

2 hours ago, cobblers said:

Standard "main dealer servicing moan to follow:

Wifes car went in for a service this morning, against my better judgement she booked it into AC and tbh they weren't too bad last year.

£129 for the "full service" required. Not horrific I suppose. Dropped it off and went off in to town with her for a bit, and after an hour she got a message with "Urgent extra work your car needs" or something along those lines.

They recommended the car needed 3 new tyres @ £430. In reality the rears are 4 years old and on 4.5/5mm tread, the fronts were fresh on before the last MOT 8000 miles ago. The fronts are honestly like fucking new. Matching continentals. There's easily 20k miles left in these tyres, and if AC were selling the car there's not a fucking chance in the world that they'd put new ones on!

Advised the front disks and pads need doing, and quoted £350 for this. They could do with changing, I agree, but fuck me its £80 for the bits and an hours work.

OS Main beam bulb had failed. AC quoted us £41 to change it, I presumed it much be a bit of a fuck about for them to bill half an hours labour for it, but I got a £3 bulb from wilkos and changed it in the car park when we picked the car up. Genuinely the easiest bulb change I've had to do, a 30 second job - I didn't even have to put my bacon sandwich down.

So yeah they recommended £430 of completely unrequired work, wanted easily double what any "reasonable" place would charge for the work that it actually needed.

Then top top it all you have to deal with some wanker in a shit suit who’ll condescend you with all this bollocks.