The grumpy thread

outlaw118

20 minutes ago, grogee said:

somat about cars

because of ....

Does anyone else get nagged to death over running a banger. Had a bit of agg yesterday with our car, not the end of the world (I hope...) but it was incapacitated by a coolant leak, bit of a fucker but hopefully £120 of bits and it should be back on the road. Anyhow the comment of ‘simply get a new car on lease’ always comes round. It fucks me off for a variety of reasons that people assume I’ve got a spare £200 a month to rent a car with or like the idea the car I’ve got is within my budget and if I was out of work then I’d be owing to nobody. 

I get that as well , eg your fucking loaded , buy a new one you tight arse  !!

then I point out its cost me 400 notes to buy some 5 years back , and I can go anywhere , park anywhere and not give a shit ..

and I will get some dosh back when it goes !!

35 minutes ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

i'll put my hands up to spaffing £90 on some Bates boots

Yeah me too my recent Clarks boots were £120 and worth every penny, they are incredibly comfortable, look good and keep my feet dry in the 10 yards I walk to my car and will last at least a couple of years.

I've always bought decent footwear as there's nothing worse than cheap shoes.

I should've taken a picture 

This morning in a supermarket car park a woman of about 75 drove past me in a 65 plate Mégane 

Both front wings had dents in and the bumper was badly scuffed on the front and both corners 

The rear bumper had deep gouges on both corners 

I made sure she found a space well away from me before I left the car 

6 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

Yeah me too my recent Clarks boots were £120 and worth every penny, they are incredibly comfortable, look good and keep my feet dry in the 10 yards I walk to my car and will last at least a couple of years.

I've always bought decent footwear as there's nothing worse than cheap shoes.

My best shoes are Blackthorns with welted soles. They are 20 years old and have had one resole.

Good shoes are the cheapest. When I was young and poor(er) I used to buy £6 a pair shoes from Stead and Simpson that would last six months. One month of pain to break them in, 4 months of normal use, then a month of leaks as they fell apart. After a couple of years I realised that overall better shoes were no more expensive per month and way nicer to wear. Lakes were £35 then, £25 in the sale and very repairable.

My boots are of varying expense and quality.

Worst are the DM Industrials who's soles split within 2 months, I still wear them for work though.

The ones that get worn outside of work most are my Ariat cowboy boots, cost $$$ but look the part and are quite comfy.

Most comfortable are the cheap walking boots I bought last year, I don't even remember what brand they are, but if I'm walking any distance I wear them.

Special mention to the DMs I bought in 2013, I wore them every day for years and they've held up remarkably well, they could probably do with being resoled soon though.

Outside of boots I wear Converse trainers, because that's what I've always worn. Current pair is black with black rubber, comfy enough and can be had quite cheaply if you know where to look. Great driving shoes.

1 hour ago, grogee said:

IE lots of clueless types manage to convince themselves that £300/month is 'good value'.

I was just under £1,500 for my Fabia as a one off payment, couple on top of that the £111 I pay monthly for insurance, and the currently £14 for the road tax for the month, and the £60-70ish I put in the car a month in petrol. Even on a monthly basis, excluding shite that goes wrong, I'm still paying less than the £300 a month and that's with my new driver stripping of funds er, I mean insurance policy. Am I allowed to feel smug or what?

2 minutes ago, reb said:

Outside of boots I wear Converse trainers, because that's what I've always worn. Current pair is black with black rubber, comfy enough and can be had quite cheaply if you know where to look. Great driving shoes.

Possibly along similar lines to my Adidas then, which are perfect for driving and having abuse hurled at them. Even my old ones get used now, just for when I'm cutting the grass though.

Fuck this to the moon and back. I'm going to shame-tweet them, the cheap bastards. 

I remember buying this maybe a year ago from Robert Dyas. Spent time comparing, touching, deciding which one felt the best. No cheap shit for me, I thought, but I was wrong. This was just heavy but also shit. 

That purchase was prompted by Mrs Grogee bringing home some awful Chinese shit from Tesco that looked OK from a distance but simply expired if it even got close to a tin. 

Anyway I know what it'll be now - "where did you get it from, did you keep the receipt?"

NO BECAUSE I'M NOT CERTIFIABLY INSANE

And I just know that some smug twat will be along shortly to tell me to buy a 1970s metal one, which are shit, hard to use and hurt your fingers. 

IMG_20220112_185847210.jpg

IMG_20220112_185853133.jpg

3 minutes ago, grogee said:

Fuck this to the moon and back. I'm going to shame-tweet them, the cheap bastards. 

I remember buying this maybe a year ago from Robert Dyas. Spent time comparing, touching, deciding which one felt the best. No cheap shit for me, I thought, but I was wrong. This was just heavy but also shit. 

That purchase was prompted by Mrs Grogee bringing home some awful Chinese shit from Tesco that looked OK from a distance but simply expired if it even got close to a tin. 

Anyway I know what it'll be now - "where did you get it from, did you keep the receipt?"

And I just know that some smug twat will be along shortly to tell me to buy a 1970s metal one, which are shit, hard to use and hurt your fingers. 

My Mum goes through tin openers like they're going out of fashion... meanwhile her parents (my grandparents) have had the same one since getting married in the 70s.

53 minutes ago, loserone said:

Crap pic but it's not a hex. It's round on top with two flats on the shank.  

1 hour ago, grogee said:

have you tried the 3 note ones from Sainburies  ..... 

2 hours ago, grogee said:

Oxo tin openers I've found to be the best https://www.oxouk.com/products/preparing/can-jar-openers/soft-handled-can-opener

I think they're about a £10 in Morrisons. For context I don't have much use in one of my hands, I've tried many different tin openers over the years and found this one to be the best.

It has an 'oversize knob that turns easily', who can refuse that?

23 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

My iPod has run out of storage. I'm now 2GB over the 30GB (27.8GB) hard drive capacity. My solution is just to compress the music to 256KB/s but still, I'm annoyed.

I feel your pain. I got sucked into the iPod/iTunes hole many moons ago and I refuse to accept that mobile data is a suitable alternative - as anyone who has driven A Car will testify, there is zero reception over 95% of the country. 

So I do have an iPod but it's dying and finding another is impossible because of Apple tax and anyway that one will die too.

Does anyone do conversions to solid state memory with these?

1 minute ago, grogee said:

Depends on what type it is. If, like mine, it's an "old-style" iPod then you can get SD adaptors/CF adaptors and the likes.

I feel your pain. I got sucked into the iPod/iTunes hole many moons ago and I refuse to accept that mobile data is a suitable alternative.

Same here. I started on an 8GB 2nd Generation Touch, but moved to a 5.5th Generation Video iPod since I could get a 30GB one. Mine is going to need a new screen and more space would be nice. The case is beat up too but that's irrelevant really.

3 minutes ago, grogee said:

as anyone who has driven A Car will testify, there is zero reception over 95% of the country. 

I live in a valley, so it's a constant issue. Haha.

1 minute ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Depends on what type it is. If, like mine, it's an "old-style" iPod then you can get SD adaptors/CF adaptors and the likes.

Same here. I started on an 8GB 2nd Generation Touch, but moved to a 5.5th Generation Video iPod since I could get a 30GB one. Mine is going to need a new screen and more space would be nice. The case is beat up too but that's irrelevant really.

I live in a valley, so it's a constant issue. Haha.

Umm yeah I meant iPod with touch circle and a square colour screen above it. 80Gb I think. 5th gen maybe? Bloody Steve Jobs nonsense. 

Where do I go to Make It Forever Good?

Just now, grogee said:

Umm yeah I meant iPod with touch circle and a square colour screen above it. 80Gb I think. 5th gen maybe? Bloody Steve Jobs nonsense. 

Aye, that's the one I've got, the 5.5th gen is just a 5th with a software update IIRC. I've got a 30GB so it's a slim back.

You may find this helpful for disassembly. This lot here will do you bits and are recommended by those on t'interwebs. For the more budget conscientious, there are, of course, eBay clones, but I can't vouch for their quality.

8 minutes ago, grogee said:

Hateful, I have now moved to an iPhone (13 pro max 256 gb), I’ve had mine for almost 3 months. It was full (because no matter what anyone says it’s impossible to stream music all the time and especially in stupid markets) anyhow I’ve got 6000 + tunes and I’ve downgraded the quality of the music  so I can get more on the phucking fone.

it’s a never ending spiral of payment I’m absolutely fucked off with shrapnel apple shit! 

3 minutes ago, carburettor said:

Hateful, I have now moved to an iPhone (13 pro max 256 gb), I’ve had mine for almost 3 months. It was full (because no matter what anyone says it’s impossible to stream music all the time and especially in stupid markets) anyhow I’ve got 6000 + tunes and I’ve downgraded the quality of the music  so I can get more on the phucking fone.

it’s a never ending spiral of payment I’m absolutely fucked off with shrapnel apple shit! 

Can I recommend this and a trailer to carry all the tapes you'll need?

20220108_145243.thumb.jpg.aa2548a409c46b42ea08b1f46551710a.jpg

33 minutes ago, grogee said:

I feel your pain. I got sucked into the iPod/iTunes hole many moons ago and I refuse to accept that mobile data is a suitable alternative - as anyone who has driven A Car will testify, there is zero reception over 95% of the country. 

So I do have an iPod but it's dying and finding another is impossible because of Apple tax and anyway that one will die too.

Yes they do.  I have one with a 128GB SD card.  In an iPod Classic that I bought in 2009.

https://www.iflash.xyz/

7 minutes ago, TrabbieRonnie said:

Impressive amount of non-ticked options on that dash!

It's a Fabia 'Ambiente' (or 'Comfort' for the pre-facelift), so is one step above the base model 'Classic'. However, mine has the lowest spec engine (for the Ambiente, being the 1.2 12v) and very few options beyond metallic paint and a "plus pack" so no ASR (option), airbag deactivation (also option), heated seats (only on Elegance and vRS, latter as an option) etc. The only one of those I do miss from other cars I've been in is heated seats due to prior injuries etc.

I do however have heated electrically adjustable mirrors and air conditioning, but it's on it's own panel as you'll see. Either way, less buttons, less to go wrong.

3 hours ago, grogee said:

+1 for OXO stuff. Receipt may not be needed, if you can show when you bought on a bank or card payment. Otherwise, a politely-worded email to Kitchen Aid might give a replacement. (Yes, I know the contract is with the retailer)

3 hours ago, grogee said:

someone on this here very beige forum suggested one of these

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Lantana-Safety-Can-Opener-Bottle/dp/B07464F5WN/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=lantana+can+opener&qid=1642029737&sprefix=lantana%2Caps%2C170&sr=8-5

i seems to do a good job