The grumpy thread

outlaw118

8 minutes ago, Stanky said:

Curiously, several years ago some people over the road had the exact same issue with their i10 of a similar vintage and asked me to help as they'd seen me out fixing my cars.

I fiddled with things for a good hour and got absolutely nowhere - it'd spin over fine, but absolutely refused to fire. No error codes. They ended up getting it towed away and I don't think I saw it again. I;d be interested to find out what the issue was with yours, as I never found out what was wrong with their one.

It's a little strange as these should be so reliable. But will share what is wrong when I know what it is. Hope they can get a look at it tomorrow as I am without a working car now and live a bit remote.

On 04/01/2022 at 17:13, Talbot said:

Drive down the road at speed* and then heave the brakes on hard.  See if it does anything then.

Did this today and it didn't take the rust off, but did get slightly warm, less so than the right hand side though. Also found I can drive the car along my car park in 1st, with my left foot mashing the brake pedal into the floor on its hard stop, and accelerate through it. Sponge-tastic. 

Both left brakes are now consistently cooler than the right, which is a complete about-turn on when I bought the car and found the front left to be getting warmer than the front right. 

Anyhoo, it's getting looked at on Friday by a man, because a) I can't be arsed b) I'm busy this weekend c) can live without the car for a few days and d) I'm a lightweight and don't want to work on the car at night in freezing weather. Deduct Man Points™️ as appropriate. 

Work has done something which has  made me so apoplectic with rage my team lead has told me to go home. He is in full agreement with me because what has happened not only shits on me but also around 25% of the workforce on the floor.

I have a feeling there’s going to be a huge union and employment law solicitor involvement.

Edited by dozeydustman
I missed off percentage

10 hours ago, Crackers said:

Did this today and it didn't take the rust off, but did get slightly warm, less so than the right hand side though. Also found I can drive the car along my car park in 1st, with my left foot mashing the brake pedal into the floor on its hard stop, and accelerate through it. Sponge-tastic. 

Both left brakes are now consistently cooler than the right, which is a complete about-turn on when I bought the car and found the front left to be getting warmer than the front right. 

Anyhoo, it's getting looked at on Friday by a man, because a) I can't be arsed b) I'm busy this weekend c) can live without the car for a few days and d) I'm a lightweight and don't want to work on the car at night in freezing weather. Deduct Man Points™️ as appropriate. 

Decided not to fuck with strange brakes:

Skill: -10
Man Points: -5

In all seriousness though, farming out this kind of work at this time of the year is probably a very good idea.

Walked past my car this morning for the first time this year and there's a new scrape on the back drivers door... Doesn't look too bad, and the heavy frost is exaggerating it but I don't know if I'm more grumpy that it got swiped softly or I might have done it somewhere 😂

It blends in nicely with the other dents and scuffs though

10 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Every woman should have mandatory training to remove a basin waste trap and not to put the bloody hair down the plughole ever again 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

IMG_20220105_191734399.thumb.jpg.2e8ad410ddc11b7c59ca58246c9c10c7.jpg

Toothbrush just for scale !

Three long haired daughters and a wife with long hair, never a problem.

But my youngest son, on the other hand.  That ⇈  is nothing in comparison.

11 hours ago, Crackers said:

Also found I can drive the car along my car park in 1st, with my left foot mashing the brake pedal into the floor on its hard stop, and accelerate through it. Sponge-tastic. 

Oh dear.
Sounds to me like that needs some investigation.  It should absolutely be possible to use the brakes to stall the engine, even in 1st gear.  I do wonder if your caliper sliders are all siezed, hence you're getting a bit of braking on the inside of the disc, but the slider side (and visible side) isn't doing anything.

That's always my pre mot handbrake test. Can I pull away with some force on the handbrake or does it stall/go to stall. Usually enough to tell

Or drive sub 30/40 and lightly pull the handbrake up to clean off the shoes/pads/cables etc. Plus gas fired up the ends of the handbrake cables help too but equally if that does help then their a bit fucked and might need replacing/more squirty magic fix

Spent six hours today stuck in the house waiting for the man from my electricity provider to come and change my meter. After two hours I ran out of smokes and was crawling the walls. After the allotted time slot came and gone I went all Karen and phoned up my electricity provider demanding satisfaction only to realise that I got the date wrong and he's scheduled for the next day.

11 hours ago, warren t claim said:

Spent six hours today stuck in the house waiting for the man from my electricity provider to come and change my meter. After two hours I ran out of smokes and was crawling the walls. After the allotted time slot came and gone I went all Karen and phoned up my electricity provider demanding satisfaction only to realise that I got the date wrong and he's scheduled for the next day.

I once arrived at the BA check-in area at Barcelona with a loud mouthed know it all colleague. The automated machine worked fine for me but not her so she went full apeshit mode at the check-in girl only for it to be pointed out that she was scheduled on the following days afternoon flight. No apologies, she just stormed off to get a taxi.

It was karma that she was caught stealing from the BA Club Lounge a few weeks later.

38 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

That puts a better perspective on it .

A lot of bins won't be getting collected round Chi then 😕

Not just bins. Thankfully the issue is being resolved as director has escalated this to cabinet who didn’t realise the local agreement (contract) was so messed up.

On 05/01/2022 at 11:06, Dyslexic Viking said:

Minus 15 and this modern cars are fun

20220105_110330.jpg

On 05/01/2022 at 13:37, Dyslexic Viking said:

Now that I have come home and thawed, I get to go more into what has happened. I was on my way home after getting vaccinated and on my way out of the intersection the engine died and will not start. Then just had to start pushing the car down to a parking lot next to the road and to my surprise a pretty woman in an Audi SUV stopped and helped me push the car. So the next challenge was to get a tow truck and the nearest was of course 70 km away. But the car has now been delivered to a mechanic and then i just have to wait for what they have to say.

But can not stop  think that these should be the most reliable and trouble free cars that exist and this has happened. And that this is the 3rd time I have experienced a car that has stopped and has to be towed and all of these 3 have been with relatively new cars while the old cars I have had have never broken down.

Talked to the workshop / garage today and if there have been no misunderstandings, it looks like one of the coils has failed. Will get to talk to the general manager on Monday so know more then.

But it seems logical as this has gone 105,000 km and since it is underpowered, the engine must be pressed hard at times and it has smelled burnt in the worst cases so the coils have probably been boiled.

At some point probably weeks ago, someone has turned the plug off for our "overflow" freezer that's under the stairs. It's the one we keep "long term meats" in

It was either me or the wife, neither of us have any recollection or reason to lean right over and turn that plug off.  But nevertheless, it was off.

Blissfully unaware, I opened the freezer and a load of slop poured out the front all over the carpet and the smell is absolutely unreal. 

Me or my wife managed to turn the socket off when our breadmaker was running & didn't notice.  When she noticed my wife put it back on but it restarted the programme from the start & the dough was going all funny so it ended up in the food bin in a biodegradable bag!