The grumpy thread

outlaw118

46 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Work is being done to make everything electric, but it is not known if it is possible. And everything you mention here except the chainsaw runs on diesel and it will probably be available for a while but with petrol the future looks bad. California has decided that all garden machines, small machines, etc. on petrol / diesel will be banned this year. This can probably happen here as well, as some of the greens have also proposed closing down agriculture and food production in Norway to save the environment. So anything is possible.

It's an extreme form of outsourcing. Large areas of China are as polluted and ravaged as anything from the 19th century, but Westerners need it to be so. After all , they have to have their clean, green battery devices. Whether the same would work for food is another matter. Norwegians may want to outsource food production, but it has to be produced somewhere. 

20 minutes ago, artdjones said:

It's an extreme form of outsourcing. Large areas of China are as polluted and ravaged as anything from the 19th century, but Westerners need it to be so. After all , they have to have their clean, green battery devices. Whether the same would work for food is another matter. Norwegians may want to outsource food production, but it has to be produced somewhere. 

Yes the food must be produced one place so is the same really where it is. and is an important thing that is little mentioned in this and that is the most important thing that exists and that is food safety. And being dependent on food imports from abroad is dangerous. So all countries should produce as much food themselves as possible.

The UK was in such a situation at the start of WW2 when they were very dependent on imports and had to quickly and sharply increase food production, something they were able to achieve. But could just as well have gone wrong and the UK had suffered a famine as a result.

43 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

And I'm not making this up. I have an interest in agriculture and would probably have become a farmer if I had the health to do so I follow a lot of what is happening now and is scary. And meat production has also gained an undeserved bad reputation now and they are using the numbers and emissions from feedlots. Meat production and dairy allow us to use areas that can not be used for other food production so without this there will be food shortages are things I have heard a lot.

So a good example in Norway we have a good deal of mountain plateaus that can not be grown food on and we can not eat what grows there but this can Reindeer so by eating Reindeer we get food from a place that otherwise would not have given us food this is pure logic. The youtube channel Harry's farm covers a bit of what's going on, talk about how the UK seems to be paying areble farmers to stop grain production etc.

The same applies to most upland areas of the U.K, where grass ( not that sort)  is the only viable “crop”. Humans can’t eat grass, sheep and cows turn it into food.

I imagine the same applies on a much larger scale to large areas of USA, Russia and Australia amongst others.

Its cutting down the rainforests for ranches or Soya growing etc which is more about profits than feeding people.

27 minutes ago, Metal Guru said:

The same applies to most upland areas of the U.K, where grass ( not that sort)  is the only viable “crop”. Humans can’t eat grass, sheep and cows turn it into food.

I imagine the same applies on a much larger scale to large areas of USA, Russia and Australia amongst others.

Its cutting down the rainforests for ranches or Soya growing etc which is more about profits than feeding people.

I agree. And much of Norway is like the UK you describe here only suitable for grass. We have some areas that are well suited for food production but they are also the most populated areas of the country so we are building over it and losing a lot of valuable farmland which is extremely frustrating.

38 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

I agree. And much of Norway is like the UK you describe here only suitable for grass. We have some areas that are well suited for food production but they are also the most populated areas of the country so we are building over it and losing a lot of valuable farmland which is extremely frustrating.

We're extremely good at building over decent quality farmland here in the UK. It's all ok* though as we're addressing our housing shortage.  No-one seems to have noticed that our population continues to rise year on year and this trend will likely continue until we have no green spaces left. 

I found an interesting stat on our population density too:

Population density in Europe is just 34 people/sq km. At 426 people/sq km, England is the most overcrowded large nation in Europe.

13 hours ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Desperately want to get my Golf cleaned as the lack of a working rear wiper and current weather conditions mean it's absolutely filthy.  Can't get enough of a break between rain to do it so went looking for a car wash yesterday.  The only local one that doesn't involve driving through central Canterbury is currently being overhauled (to accept card payments at the wash rather than in the shop - long overdue) and I don't want to encourage people trafficking, so refuse to use any of the hand car washes around.

It's a minor grump I grant you but it's fucking annoying.  Is it me or have most automatic car washes just disappeared?

Have you always been a virtue-signalling cretin, or is it something at which you've had to put in some effort? 

(If it's the latter, then my congratulations. Hard work truly has paid off.) 

11 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

We're extremely good at building over decent quality farmland here in the UK. It's all ok* though as we're addressing our housing shortage.  No-one seems to have noticed that our population continues to rise year on year and this trend will likely continue until we have no green spaces left. 

I found an interesting stat on our population density too:

Population density in Europe is just 34 people/sq km. At 426 people/sq km, England is the most overcrowded large nation in Europe.

And that is one of the biggest problems we have in front of us overpopulation. This is very conversational and goes towards something everyone thinks is a human right so I do not want to go there. And the UK / England is one of the last places I would have lived. Since I hate overcrowded areas and people everywhere I moved for several years to here I now live because of it and will move again if it gets like this here too.

5 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

And that is one of the biggest problems we have in front of us overpopulation. This is very conversational and goes towards something everyone thinks is a human right so I do not want to go there. And the UK / England is one of the last places I would have lived. Since I hate overcrowded areas and people everywhere I moved for several years to here I now live because of it and will move again if it gets like this here too.

I've several relations who've emigrated within the last decade or so - some Oz, a few to NZ and one cousin to France and shortly to Belgium with his wife to be. Increasingly, I can see the appeal. 

3 hours ago, Remspoor said:

Will they? What about fuel for lorries and buses, agricultural vehicles and even things like chainsaws? Noth forgetting the equipment for building sites. All of these need liquid fuel.

I've always thought that building site equipment ought to be relatively easy to make electric. 

Things like those mini digger / dumper things that get transported to and from the site on the back of a truck.  Couldn't they be charged overnight before being loaded onto the truck?  They're not going far and stand idle for more hours than they're in use.

3 minutes ago, adw1977 said:

I've always thought that building site equipment ought to be relatively easy to make electric. 

Things like those mini digger / dumper things that get transported to and from the site on the back of a truck.  Couldn't they be charged overnight before being loaded onto the truck?  They're not going far and stand idle for more hours than they're in use.

They are often hired out, so when they are onsite they are used intensively so as to get the maximum use for the hire fee.

Post Office small parcels. Max dimensions 45x35x16 cm, = 25200 cm3

My box is 20x22x22 = 9680 cm3. But it's too big for small parcels in one dimension, so having trudged to the Post Orifice once and queued up, I've come home again and repacked into a 33x24x13 shoe box, 10296 cm3. 

Stupid, stupid rules

3 hours ago, Remspoor said:

This is one reason why I feel personal IDs are a good thing.  I even have a digital one on my PC like everyone else has here in Spain. That allows us access to certain government portals without this fuss.

Same here. Digital ID linked to national ID number. Everything is smooth sailing thereon in. I really don’t understand this British fixation on a perceived invasion of privacy when it comes to ID cards. 

19 hours ago, Wack said:

You really can't believe people can be so stupid 

Rings 999 , asks for Snowdon mountain rescue  then asks them what the weather will be like up there tomorrow 

Better than attempting crib gock in the snow wearing trainers. Now that would be a waste of resources. 

49 minutes ago, adw1977 said:

You would think so, as I did,  indeed it seems that the mini excavator stuff is do-able and JCB do sell it now,https://www.jcb.com/en-gb/products/mini-excavators/19c-1e  but for larger construction sites and major projects, larger full size electric really is not a solution that works well because of the limited capacity, operational and charging times. 

take a look at this…

5 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

but for larger construction sites and major projects, larger full size electric really is not a solution that works well because of the limited capacity, operational and charging times.

I saw a video where they were building a warehouse using a zero emissions digger , only it went flat in a morning, took hours to recharge and because of no mains power they were using a massive generator to charge it

I'm sure they have their place but if it can't do a full days work it's next to useless

Anything that takes hours to recharge is just shoddily made rubbish if they're selling it today; there's no good reason battery packs can't charge to 80% in 30-40 minutes provided a suitable power source is available, a range of site batteries/charging supplies from fridge-sized upwards should come with this kind of equipment and be plugged into a 3 phase supply(or a generator if the PM is a knuckle dragging moron or just shit at their job) to charge overnight.

1 minute ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Anything that takes hours to recharge is just shoddily made rubbish if they're selling it today; there's no good reason battery packs can't charge to 80% in 30-40 minutes provided a suitable power source is available, a range of site batteries/charging supplies from fridge-sized upwards should come with this kind of equipment and be plugged into a 3 phase supply(or a generator if the PM is a knuckle dragging moron or just shit at their job) to charge overnight.

Fast charging is good, but depending on the battery type, it will cause a lot of wear on the cells.

3 hours ago, loserone said:

And yet no squeak when mass surveillance technologies are pushed.  

That'll be because they don't understand their mobile phone tracks their every move and is spying on them

The best one I saw was the mercedes car that convicted a murderer , not just GPS tracking , it saved all the door opening and closing , timed him burying the body , it was open 5 minutes so he could get the body and tools out, gone for an hour to bury her then open 30 seconds to put the tools back in , it's not just your phone that's watching you

22 minutes ago, Crackers said:

Bugger. 

IMG_20220104_134624.thumb.jpg.54b4d50031f40dcf3deaa9f051e0cb2a.jpg

That's the brake diagonally opposite the one that was sticking the other day. This was after a 2 mile drive and the light surface rust from a few days' rain. So that brake is doing sweet FA. Ballcocks. 

Both calipers fucked or a blocked front proportioning block thingie?

47 minutes ago, Crackers said:

That's the brake diagonally opposite the one that was sticking the other day. This was after a 2 mile drive and the light surface rust from a few days' rain. So that brake is doing sweet FA. Ballcocks. 

Drive down the road at speed* and then heave the brakes on hard.  See if it does anything then.  Also see if it's sticking on thereafter.  If it starts to do something under heavy braking and then sticks on, it's a stiff caliper.  If it still does naff all, suspect it's a hydraulic issue.

Rear brakes don't do a great deal on a lot of cars, but a decent bout of braking-like-a-buffoon should see them do *something*

2 hours ago, volvov70 said:

Most sites don't have the infrastructure to provide fast charging. In mining most big bits of kit that don't have to move far quickly are hooked up to the mains with a trailing cable. battery stuff is limited to relatively lightweight but high mileage kit.

at my current worksite we will have two 800 amp charging points under the gantry cranes and one 200 amp charging point in the workshop - we do have 25 MVA to play with mind

I was thinking more at the mini digger <3t end of things, a trailer mounted charger/powerbank could fast charge a mini digger 2-3 times and be towed offsite to recharge overnight; bigger diggers and plant will be problematic unless hydrogen/ammonia/other magic beans become practical.