The grumpy thread

outlaw118

8 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Well that was fun...apparently walking into the city centre branch of a major high street bank (having eventually successfully circumnavigated their appointment system to get there as you need to book a slot) to take out more than £100 cash is a big deal today.  They "don't keep available" enough funds for me to pull out £1100 to buy a car with.  Most they could offer me was £300.  £50 less than I could pull out of a cashpoint.

God help any business trying to operate out of there...

Guess we are doing a bank transfer then!  I could piss around taking out the max amount daily from cash points and *just* get there in time...but finding one with anything in around here the last couple of times I needed it proved to be a massive hassle...so I'm just not going to bother this time.

I know it's more than you'd tend to wander around with in your wallet, but a grand isn't a lot of money from the perspective of a bank you'd think.  I guess they really are pushing to do away with physical currency. 

That is wank, name and shame. 

Bought the dearest car I have ever bought - To last me a few years early november. Died Xmas eve while still out doing christmas things / buying stuff. Engines done the bearings due to oil / Diesel mix in the engine.

Money gone / Car buggered / Greif from other half / FFS Can it get worse. Yep Pc played up tonight too.......

10 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Well that was fun...apparently walking into the city centre branch of a major high street bank (having eventually successfully circumnavigated their appointment system to get there as you need to book a slot) to take out more than £100 cash is a big deal today.  They "don't keep available" enough funds for me to pull out £1100 to buy a car with.  Most they could offer me was £300.  £50 less than I could pull out of a cashpoint.

God help any business trying to operate out of there...

Guess we are doing a bank transfer then!  I could piss around taking out the max amount daily from cash points and *just* get there in time...but finding one with anything in around here the last couple of times I needed it proved to be a massive hassle...so I'm just not going to bother this time.

I know it's more than you'd tend to wander around with in your wallet, but a grand isn't a lot of money from the perspective of a bank you'd think.  I guess they really are pushing to do away with physical currency. 

Yeah, Halifax fucked me over when I had the temerity to try to withdraw £1200 in cash all the way back in 2008, to buy a Cortina estate.

Apparently they needed like three working days notice for any withdrawal above £300 from the counter - so, no different from the ATM limit.

Fuck.

That.

Right.

Off.

I was later told it was something to do with the whole Northern Rock debacle, and avoiding customers marching in and demanding to withdraw their entire £25k savings in cash, there and then.

I now get around this ballache by only buying cars that cost less than £300...

(Or by using bank transfer, which to be fair is a lot less stressful than travelling with a huge wad of twenties.) 

16 hours ago, Dan the van said:

Nothing new TBH.Halifax needed two days notice for more than a bag 15 odd years ago.🙄

1990 I got a job right next to a NatWest. Ideal I thought as we were paid  by cheque at the time. 

Opened the account, deposited my cheque. Went round to the cash point and it would only give me £50.

Sorry, that's the max on that account, if you want it raised you have to write to the manager. 

So I wrote to the manager, who said No! 

So I went in, withdrew all but 50p and left it at that. 

Until I moved they were still sending me statements and thanks to the interest I now had 54p.

I wonder how much it has cost the twats to send out 30 years worth of statements?

I expected a load of problems when I went into my local branch of Santander.

They were perfectly happy to hand over £3k but did ask what it was for and commiserated when told it was for a new boiler.

No fireworks around here at all, an unusually quiet night.

26 minutes ago, Timewaster said:

1990 I got a job right next to a NatWest. Ideal I thought as we were paid  by cheque at the time. 

Opened the account, deposited my cheque. Went round to the cash point and it would only give me £50.

Sorry, that's the max on that account, if you want it raised you have to write to the manager. 

So I wrote to the manager, who said No! 

So I went in, withdrew all but 50p and left it at that. 

Until I moved they were still sending me statements and thanks to the interest I now had 54p.

I wonder how much it has cost the twats to send out 30 years worth of statements?

Somewhere I have my old Nationwide child account book... I remember using it at the Werrington branch they had to feed it into the machine and type away at the terminal. 

Last line is 1999ish and there was £2.80 in there. Not sure I can be arsed to send the book off never to be seen again to retrieve my £2.95...

1 hour ago, myglaren said:

I expected a load of problems when I went into my local branch of Santander.

They were perfectly happy to hand over £3k but did ask what it was for and commiserated when told it was for a new boiler.

No fireworks around here at all, an unusually quiet night.

That's the same bank I just had this fun with, albeit a different branch obviously.

Fireworks here finally stopped about 4am.

31 minutes ago, Metal Guru said:

Pretty much standard for former PMs to be knighted. It seems he’s been made to wait longer than most, which he will be well aware of. Queenie is subtle if nothing else.

Took John Major 15 years as well to get it, so the last two took 15 years or so. Hopefully that doubles for Boris. Or never at all.. 

On 12/28/2021 at 3:36 PM, Mally said:

As there's nothing much to do between Xmas and New Year,

IMG_2772.thumb.jpg.4c33f1e437302cb240abef62bb0e77d5.jpg

Will my next post be a grump or a grin? Place yous bets now, I'm about £300 in so far, and that gearbox is heavy.

Can confidently say reversal is not  always easy.

Six part days on this, mostly 3 to 4 hours sometimes longer. They reckon 6 hours, 10 for the first time.

My first time took 22 hours, and I reckon to know what I'm doing. Mind you I'm 76 in a fortnight.

Had to saw down the side of the nuts on the turbo studs so they didn't break, broke 3/8 to 1/2" reducers x3 removing the subframe. (realised when we got it off that one of the bolts had been stripped previously and someone had tack welded the subframe and tack welded the bolt head) . May be that's why we had to weld a socket to an halfshaft to undo it!

Re assembly in itself wasn't to bad. Let the gearbox down with a board on a jack. but lifted it in with a sling on the engine hoist. That's the way to do it.

Couldn't get it to go on,  took it down to inspect, put it on again and it flew in.

My son had helped with  the dismantle, but obv out on NYE. 

Which way does the bleedin hair clip go on the clutch pipe? Wasn't me that removed it. 

How does the gear change go on? There were many such issues.

Had primed the clutch slave, but couldn't get a  pedal, can't find eezy bleed, off to Halfords for another.

'Caps fit most cylinders'. Not Saab 9-3 they don't! Almost but with 10lbs pressure it blows the cap and fluid every where.

Try again with 5lb. Pedal. but very little.

Pump pedal like mad. (some say don't do this) ....half a pedal.

Leave it for a while.

Continued elsewhere, try grin thread.

The figures for the number of new cars sold in Norway last year have now been published. And last year there was a record sale of new cars and almost all are electric, so with the average age of cars being about 11 years in Norway, most if not all petrol stations are probably gone within 10-15 years if this continues.

It must be me getting old and a semi techno cripple but doing Mrs K's tax self assessment (SA) has driven me towards gnashing teeth and tearing hair out this afternoon.  (domestic abuse by both of us on the other was avoided by a hair's breadth)

I spent a long time trying to verify her identity;  2 required;

Northern Ireland driving licence  -that's a NO , what's so special about NI?

Phone contract - hers renewed this July -

When did you get a credit card -over 6 years ago

Current passport - hooray - YES

What was last years tax due?  found the SA return but no trace of what was due.  Searched high and low for HMRC hard copy, searched bank statements;  domestic tension brewing up

looks like we scored only one out of 5

Look at contact HMRC online- can do but contact  contains warning  - don't ask us to help verify your identity, not much* help there

Then found you can get identity GOV accepted verification by the Post Office or a firm, I chose the PO, went  round in circles entering  full name and dob at least three times on different pages, but got there, with a direct link to Self Assessment - a WINNER!  Grumpyness much reduced.  Also got to copy of last year's tax statement - they owed Mrs K £25, so no wonder we went around the circle of what did they dun her for.

SA form is pretty straightforward (I think they shouldn't quibble too much) nice to skip past the optional declarations that would provide details

Then I get to the SUBMIT; sign off in blood that it's all true, press submit  - system now says you've changed it so Fuck OFF;  time for hair tearing;  I give up after some go back, repeat, fail again ,again ; exit and get taken straight to the PO site (WTF!).  Oh well, sign in so I can log out I thinks;  straight back to SA SUBMIT, press SUBMIT - only bloody works

Having got that off my chest I feel a lot better; Mrs K hates me a bit less for putting her through the annual trauma again, time for beer.

and a belated  Happy New Year to shiters