The grumpy thread

outlaw118

We arrived back home earlier after a few days away staying with Mrs DL's family. We took the dog with us but left her bed in the kitchen. 

Our friendly, cat-loving neighbour has been feeding our cat while we've been away. As always, I left a tray down for him and the neighbour has been popping in a few times each day to feed him, fuss him and let him out. We always limit him to the kitchen when we're away just to keep things simple. It's a tried and tested routine which has worked successfully for years. 

It was really interesting* to return to a kitchen STINKING of cat piss. Upon closer inspection, I discovered that whilst our dickhead cat has been using the tray for dumps, it appears he's used the dog bed as a urinal for the duration. It was literally dripping in piss. The bed was a decent quality hammock setup with deep-pile insert because greyhound. 

I've had to bin the entire bed and insert as it's gopping. How our neighbour didn't notice the issue we do not know. 

I've since given the floor two thorough cleans with disinfectant and have kept the bastard cat outside for the duration.

Nothing at home has changed in the last three years and the cat is only around six years old. What the hell was he playing at - is it just because cats ultimately are dickheads?!

My daughter's cats have been left pretty much on their own for three months while she has been in hospital, her kids are never home, only pop in occasionally to feed the cats, otherwise it is left to me.

Most of the doors kept closed but the kids have left them open and the cats have shit and pissed all over, especially the kitchen that had no door on it - removed in 1990.

I hung a new door to keep them out but despite being cleaned a dozen times it still stinks.

Doesn't help that I can't stand cats and dogs.

Do you remember Game On with Samantha Janus? Remember the red haired fella who was affectionately referred to as, 'You ginger tosser, Martin'? 

That's the point I'm at with our ginger tosser right now! Tempted to change his name to Martin actually...

Drove to Devon today from Kent.  Fuck me.  What an awful drive.  M25 totally fucking fucked so diverted through commuter belt Surrey, then the A303 was stop-start.  Eventually got past the Fleet Air Arm Museum and did the M5 for the last stretch rather than carrying on down the A30 over the Blackdown Hills because I'm not completely insane.  We left at 1026 and got to our destination at 1833.  Dog then pissed on the rug because she had been so distracted during our last break (less than an hour from destination) that she didn't go.

Miserable rain the whole way, dark and the radio had shit all of worth on apart from a glorious half hour early on when Radio 4 decided to play a documentary about the history of staircases.  Which was literally the only highlight of an otherwise terrible drive - which I do several times a year and is usually quite reasonable.

Mind you, we are getting a Bini out of it so I can't complain too much.

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

Cats can apparently get pissed off when their hoomans go away for long periods, and the pissing and shitting everywhere is their way of expressing their displeasure. 

Ours definitely gets annoyed when we are away and just has someone in once a day to feed him. He had access via his cat flap to our conservatory with a sofa to sleep on , so he’s not exactly roughing it, but he just goes around bad tempered for a week making sure you know it.

No mess though. 

Cats hate humans and will do whatever they can to piss them off in any way possible, but they know they will get away with it because they're all fwuffy and cute and we wuv dem so much.....well I bloody don't, I see through their bullshit and avoid them as much as possible, the scheming horrible little twats.

4 hours ago, Mally said:

As there's nothing much to do between Xmas and New Year,

IMG_2772.thumb.jpg.4c33f1e437302cb240abef62bb0e77d5.jpg

Will my next post be a grump or a grin? Place yous bets now, I'm about £300 in so far, and that gearbox is heavy.

That's progress. I remember the Saab 900 was a bit like a Mk2 Cavalier where you pulled the clutch out of a cover in the bell housing. The clutch was on the front of the engine. Like the Vauxhall you needed someone to press the clutch pedal , the Vauxhall had three clamps to hold the pressure plate (came in the clutch kit) but the Saab didn't.You could get a special tool to hold the fingers in place but I used a bent wire coat hanger.

Cars with names. 

It's a thing, not a person, and it already has a name. Referring to your car as Archibald doesn't suddenly imbue it with a personality; it was dull as fuck before you named it, and it still is. If it is interesting, people who will realise it's interesting will recognise that from the model designation, 'Gertie' means nothing to them. 

I realise I'm not the first person to complain about this, but people are still doing this. Car namers, please stop being such fucking dicks. 

12 hours ago, meggersdog said:

That's progress. I remember the Saab 900 was a bit like a Mk2 Cavalier where you pulled the clutch out of a cover in the bell housing. The clutch was on the front of the engine. Like the Vauxhall you needed someone to press the clutch pedal , the Vauxhall had three clamps to hold the pressure plate (came in the clutch kit) but the Saab didn't.You could get a special tool to hold the fingers in place but I used a bent wire coat hanger.

The original Saab 99 had an engine derived from the Dolomite 1850 and a gearbox developed from the Triumph FWD. Sadly, for me, they were both developed sufficiently that you couldn't drop one in to a FWD Triumph. I seem to remember it was the other way round in the Saab.

But what they did both share was an easily removable clutch. All I have to remove is the heater blower, three bolts, to gain access th the clutch cover and a bit of carpet and a big rectangular plate inside the car to slide out the input shaft. 

It seemed for a while that manufacturers were thinking about this, not only the Vauxhauls but the six cylinder Landcrabs had a removable section to get to the clutch. But it was short lived. Why make it easier when you can charge three times as much by boxing it all in. 

9 hours ago, robinmasters said:

Cars with names. 

It's a thing, not a person, and it already has a name. Referring to your car as Archibald doesn't suddenly imbue it with a personality; it was dull as fuck before you named it, and it still is. If it is interesting, people who will realise it's interesting will recognise that from the model designation, 'Gertie' means nothing to them. 

I realise I'm not the first person to complain about this, but people are still doing this. Car namers, please stop being such fucking dicks. 

My 205 picked up the nickname the Peashooter from when I used to collect my nephew from the school bus in it some evenings,all his mates used to slag him about it(he found it funny,and I didn't give a shit)and it sort of stuck.

🙄

4 hours ago, Yoss said:

The original Saab 99 had an engine derived from the Dolomite 1850 and a gearbox developed from the Triumph FWD. Sadly, for me, they were both developed sufficiently that you couldn't drop one in to a FWD Triumph. I seem to remember it was the other way round in the Saab.

But what they did both share was an easily removable clutch. All I have to remove is the heater blower, three bolts, to gain access th the clutch cover and a bit of carpet and a big rectangular plate inside the car to slide out the input shaft. 

It seemed for a while that manufacturers were thinking about this, not only the Vauxhauls but the six cylinder Landcrabs had a removable section to get to the clutch. But it was short lived. Why make it easier when you can charge three times as much by boxing it all in. 

Yeah but clutches lasted a few winters then they were done. Car could easily do 100-150k on the original clutch now. It being easy to change isn’t a concern. 

11 hours ago, robinmasters said:

Cars with names. 

You seem inordinately vexed about this.  Other opinions are available...

It seems a bit daft to me but each to their own. At a banger level it’s letting sentimentality cloud your judgement, ‘can’t kill Cyril the Fiesta off for the want of £700 worth of welding!’ A bit like a farmer with his cattle, he’ll look after it but at some point he’s going to have to put a bullet through back of its head so you don’t need unnecessary emotions adding to the problem. 

But if it makes people happy let them get on with it. 

16 hours ago, robinmasters said:

Cars with names. 

100% guarantee that any car with a name is absolutely shagged in on way or another. If somebody is mental enough to call their scruffy motorhome "betsy" they're definitely not going to do anything proper about the galloping rot in the sills and frame, and will just "drive around" the fact that it takes eight minutes to get it into reverse because the engine is falling out 

1 hour ago, cobblers said:

100% guarantee that any car with a name is absolutely shagged in on way or another. If somebody is mental enough to call their scruffy motorhome "betsy" they're definitely not going to do anything proper about the galloping rot in the sills and frame, and will just "drive around" the fact that it takes eight minutes to get it into reverse because the engine is falling out 

in that case my Focus is well fucked ....   arnt you Nancy  ! ( derived from number plate letters ! )

2 hours ago, cobblers said:

TV commercials that do this with the vehicle's model name annoy me.

Using the model as a descriptor- "You can buy the new Nissan D37 today! It's a car!"

Compared to "Buy D37 today! D37 has USB sockets! Nissan dealerships stock D37."

The latter mode of speech made it into American marketing in the seventies, vanished, and has come back again.

Irksome. I understand your internal reference but at the end of the day it's the D37, not just D37

Honey! Which car should I take to the store? 

Take D37, dear. It's got more fuel in.

Nope. Noooope.

9 hours ago, sierraman said:

It seems a bit daft to me but each to their own. At a banger level it’s letting sentimentality cloud your judgement, ‘can’t kill Cyril the Fiesta off for the want of £700 worth of welding!’ A bit like a farmer with his cattle, he’ll look after it but at some point he’s going to have to put a bullet through back of its head so you don’t need unnecessary emotions adding to the problem. 

But if it makes people happy let them get on with it. 

Shhhh. Her eyes are closed, she's sleeping. 😂

Agreed with it being daft to assign a gender to and/or naming a vehicle. I guess people want whatever it is to feel more special.

Personally, I laugh when it is all 'she' this and 'her', that. 

DE22C55C-FC65-411D-8725-02FD189ABD0D.jpeg