The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Seems the green bean casserole had something bad in (checking the FDA website shows numerous recalls of green beans due to listeria) because I just spent the last 3 hours (it's now 6am) cleaning up a scene that looked like The Exorcist.

Thankfully I cannot stand the stuff.

Double edged sword

Well, that was a bit of an incident. 

Back at my parents' now, but the car is on the naughty step. OSF brake decided to become a smoke machine in quite a big way - thick, acrid black smoke pouring out the wheel arch. 

Now the smell of burnt friction material is stuck to my jumper and I've got to somehow drive it home tomorrow. 

Arse biscuits. 

14 hours ago, Crackers said:

Back at my parents' now, but the car is on the naughty step. OSF brake decided to become a smoke machine in quite a big way - thick, acrid black smoke pouring out the wheel arch. 

Now the smell of burnt friction material is stuck to my jumper and I've got to somehow drive it home tomorrow. 

Arse biscuits. 

I feel your pain. I was 20 miles into a 180 mile journey when my NSF brake hung up big time, like, couldn't go faster than 40 big time. I must've got used to the smell because the interior stank when I attempted to drive a couple of days later.

Also Snapchat FTW.

6 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

I feel your pain. I was 20 miles into a 180 mile journey when my NSF brake hung up big time, like, couldn't go faster than 40 big time. I must've got used to the smell because the interior stank when I attempted to drive a couple of days later.

Also Snapchat FTW.

Yikes. Yeah, the stench hangs around, it's stuck to my jumper so I'm now breathing it full-time. Joy. 

And yes, Chapsnat. 

4 minutes ago, Crackers said:

Yikes. Yeah, the stench hangs around, it's stuck to my jumper so I'm now breathing it full-time. Joy. 

And yes, Chapsnat. 

Nothing like the odd whiff of friction material.

With bonus scorched asbestos if it's old enough.

15 hours ago, Crackers said:

Arse biscuits. 

Happened to me just before lockdown 1.0 on a visit to my son's in Brum.  In the wife's Astra.

Borrowed his tools and diasembled the brakes in his underground car park. Cleaned it up. Greased it all. Put it back together.  It's done 10k since with no issues. 

16 hours ago, Crackers said:

Arse biscuits. 

If nothing is obviously sticking and or leaking, it could be the internal structure of the flexible hose breaking down causing a one-way valve blockage.

Well, the drive home went fine, I didn't touch the brake pedal once in the first 20 miles, had to brake a couple of times in Milford, then managed the remainder of the journey (in the absolutely pissing rain) without braking at all again. 

Focuses the senses, but on the other hand I got great MPG! It's the small wins 😉

52 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

If nothing is obviously sticking and or leaking, it could be the internal structure of the flexible hose breaking down causing a one-way valve blockage.

Interesting thought, I'll keep that in mind. 

I need to go and rifle through the receipts and find out which of the calipers was replaced a couple of year ago, I know one was but can't remember which. 

22 minutes ago, Crackers said:

Well, the drive home went fine, I didn't touch the brake pedal once in the first 20 miles, had to brake a couple of times in Milford, then managed the remainder of the journey (in the absolutely pissing rain) without braking at all again. 

Focuses the senses, but on the other hand I got great MPG! It's the small wins 😉

I had this problem in the x1/9 a few years ago. Braking caused one calipers to stick on - not great on the motorway when it could change lanes braking!  Hoses looked ok, but the one was only allowing brake fluid out, and not back.

0BAD61E3-E09D-4037-A330-B916A2756616.jpeg

55FD1F81-7146-4504-A8B6-52C90C8431BE.jpeg

81423A7D-187B-4575-B342-00B9AA9328BC.jpeg

54 minutes ago, Crackers said:

Interesting thought, I'll keep that in mind. 

I need to go and rifle through the receipts and find out which of the calipers was replaced a couple of year ago, I know one was but can't remember which. 

In my case half the piston seal had twisted causing the piston to stick. A shame because the piston looked fine and the rest of the caliper looked spotless.

Last night I dropped a nearly empty pack of cigarette filters off the sofa and the cats squirrelled it away somewhere. No problem, it was nearly empty anyway.

Today I got in from work, threw my tobacco and stuff on the sofa, again the new pack of filters bounced off. And yet again the cats have been away with it as soon as it hit the floor.

I don't know where they're hiding them but I'm not amused. I think I have a spare pack somewhere so I don't need to go to the shop for more tonight, let's hope they don't steal that one too!

11 minutes ago, reb said:

Last night I dropped a nearly empty pack of cigarette filters off the sofa and the cats squirrelled it away somewhere. No problem, it was nearly empty anyway.

Today I got in from work, threw my tobacco and stuff on the sofa, again the new pack of filters bounced off. And yet again the cats have been away with it as soon as it hit the floor.

I don't know where they're hiding them but I'm not amused. I think I have a spare pack somewhere so I don't need to go to the shop for more tonight, let's hope they don't steal that one too!

I think your cats have a serious addiction!

45 minutes ago, reb said:

its a sign from above saying to smoke nonfiltered rollies

10 minutes ago, loserone said:

Never use train tickets for roach, it's thermal ink.

Does that mean it'll kill me even faster? Marvellous!

I did have a big book of roach cards (with 420 individual roaches in it, oooh) but it seems to have gone missing.

I could always use the boxes from my medication, it's medical so it must be healthy!

Christmas cards might work.

PXL_20211227_203620385.thumb.jpg.d6a0f608563f7735e3a4de67e7e6c98d.jpg

Tear to size - keep square

PXL_20211227_203640568.thumb.jpg.dcb4b2d811fec9f5ca02d86dd7d3be76.jpg

Start to roll, but then

Flip over and roll the other direction instead

PXL_20211227_203724479.thumb.jpg.9cc95a0867fc8c5044e5d72fb52119e1.jpg

That way you have a perfect S inside.

Tickle the fluffy bit with a lighter to singe and stop it from gunking up too quickly.  Cut (not torn) edge to to your lips.