The grumpy thread

outlaw118

4 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

Fucking tabby cat has been in and out the litter box every 5 mins since 3:30 this morning, scratching and trying to bury whatever. The box is empty with the same clean litter we put in it yesterday. The 2 cats have a box each + a spare - black cat’s uses her one normally, spare box unused so is tabby’s. 

Fucking thing is costing us £90 a month in vet prescriptions and £140 for blood tests every 6 months.

Now the bloody thing is going senile I really wish the wife would ask the vet to put it out of its (and my wallet’s and the way things are going my mental health’s)  misery.

Next pet we get in this household is a dog. Or a parrot. Or a snake. Or an iguana. Anything but a fucking cat.

That sort of behaviour reminds me of our youngest dog when she had meningitis.

4 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

Fucking tabby cat has been in and out the litter box every 5 mins since 3:30 this morning, scratching and trying to bury whatever. The box is empty with the same clean litter we put in it yesterday. The 2 cats have a box each + a spare - black cat’s uses her one normally, spare box unused so is tabby’s. 

Fucking thing is costing us £90 a month in vet prescriptions and £140 for blood tests every 6 months.

Now the bloody thing is going senile I really wish the wife would ask the vet to put it out of its (and my wallet’s and the way things are going my mental health’s)  misery.

Next pet we get in this household is a dog. Or a parrot. Or a snake. Or an iguana. Anything but a fucking cat.

You're doing it rong. (not really, just there is an alternative:)  Treat a cat like a WBOD.  Get an 18year old cat from cats protection for free.  Love said cat in his/her twilight years, but as soon as they are very ill, it's off to the vets for a one-way journey, then get another one.  No-one will ever expect anything other than euthenasia for a sick 18yo cat, and you're doing a lovely thing by giving a senior cat some love at the end of their life.

Worked for me.  I had 9 months of a very elderly and very lovely small black female cat (basically a witches cat)  Once she developed kidney failure, it was off to the vets for a one-way, and trade-in for a younger model from Cats protection league.  When I said to the lady at CP that I wanted another old black female cat, she told me I could have my pick of quite a few, and actually did I want to take all of them?  Also, they didn't even want a donation as they were just really pleased that someone wasn't after the stereotypical cutesy kitten. (for which they do ask for a decent contribution).

23 minutes ago, chadders said:

That sort of behaviour reminds me of our youngest dog when she had meningitis.

This cat was only last checked up 3 weeks ago. We’ve told the vet its unusual behaviour and he has diagnosed senility/dementia. She is an old cat (16) so about the sort of age for that. All it does is sleep, make a horrid noise licking its arse, makes a horrid noise for food and shit. And in the last week we’ve noticed the last of those habits has been done in inappropriate places, so that’ll mean we have to replace the carpets or lose our deposit when we move out. 

10 minutes ago, Talbot said:

You're doing it rong. (not really, just there is an alternative:)  Treat a cat like a WBOD.  Get an 18year old cat from cats protection for free.  Love said cat in his/her twilight years, but as soon as they are very ill, it's off to the vets for a one-way journey, then get another one.  No-one will ever expect anything other than euthenasia for a sick 18yo cat, and you're doing a lovely thing by giving a senior cat some love at the end of their life.

Worked for me.  I had 9 months of a very elderly and very lovely small black female cat (basically a witches cat)  Once she developed kidney failure, it was off to the vets for a one-way, and trade-in for a younger model from Cats protection league.  When I said to the lady at CP that I wanted another old black female cat, she told me I could have my pick of quite a few, and actually did I want to take all of them?  Also, they didn't even want a donation as they were just really pleased that someone wasn't after the stereotypical cutesy kitten. (for which they do ask for a decent contribution).

I agree with the sentiment of giving an animal a loving home in its twilight years but as I get no pleasure from cats, and never have done throughout my 43 years on this planet, I’d apply that principal to a dog, parrot, any other pet - 6 of the 11 fish in the aquarium I rehomed, my cockatiel was a rescue, my last 2 dogs were rescues/rehomes.

Just now, cort1977 said:

Isn't that all cats ever?

That's all our furry oxygen theif does. 

Our black cat doesn't. It goes out, it wants fuss off the wife or, if she's round here, stepdaughter, plays with string/toy mice/chases red laser dot. Only 6 months between the 2. It does like getting on the bed though, which I really do not like.

1 hour ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Nice workbench ...is that a heat lamp !!! 

1 hour ago, captain_70s said:

Depends on the wattage of the bulb...

Heh, it's a glamorous bench isn't it? It's an Anglepoise lamp with a really bright ancient CFL I found in a drawer somewhere- not exactly a burning hot sun but it's all I could find. Fortunately it's still relatively mild outside.

PXL_20211220_201050216.thumb.jpg.22e90a58dbd8e2c66bbe9c5cea24a742.jpg

We're making headway at least. It took an hour to get the front bearing cover off the old alternator. Been cleaned and secured onto the new alternator. It's a good job the bearing inside is still alright or else I'd have thrown in the towel. I did manage to muller the old fan and pulley though so I'm now making a good one out of the two I have.

31 minutes ago, anonymous user said:

I thought it was an art installation.

Demonstrating the futility of hope against intransigent uncertainty 

Or somesuch bollocks 

I'd call it "Trust Lucas", because that's twice now I've trusted Lucas and their dubious compatability lists and been bitten on the arse because of it.

On 12/16/2021 at 2:36 PM, Yank Tank said:

whoever said "no point crying over spilt milk" clearly never spilt four pints of semi skimmed into the front footwell of their company car.

holy shit, i've never smelt anything like it.  i am uneasy about these latvian car washes, so what should i do? mobile valeter? 

please for the love of god send help. s.o.s

I think what you want is this stuff;

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/catsan-hygiene-cat-litter-20l

Chuck it in, leave it for a week & then hoover it out again.