The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Why can’t this lurgy do one. 8 days now I’ve been laid up with all sorts of snot, coughs, headaches and joint aches. I had a second PCR yesterday morning and that’s come through negative.

Bronchial infection and a heavy cold really isn’t fun.

I have been vaccinated abroad, i have had 3 vaccines for covid, i am registered here in uk with a doctor now.

Nhs says now possible to register foreign vaccines on nhs for covid pass.

I queue online diligently and with true British patience to make a booking to physically show my papers and get them registered.

I tell them where i am in the country.

They give me my nearest centre able to deal with foreign vaccines.

Sheffield.

I live in Basingstoke !! 150 miles away.

A 300 mile round trip to show some papers.

What is that symbol under the P? I don't think I've ever seen that. Looks it could be a letter of the Greek alphabet which makes me think itcoykd be alerting you the next variant of covid. 

Edit:

Just went to look at the Greek alphabet and found this. 

greekalphabet1_edit_323496569693866.jpg.2396467ca308569768ac94ae2e0e13c2.jpg

It looks like this. I didn't know Lambda was a Greek letter but I'm guessing it's a lambda sensor warning light. Top deduction by me there. 

9 minutes ago, Yoss said:

What is that symbol under the P? I don't think I've ever seen that. Looks it could be a letter of the Greek alphabet which makes me think itcoykd be alerting you the next variant of covid. 

It a Volvo thing, something to do with the engine management

10 hours ago, Sir Chocolate Teapot said:

I have been vaccinated abroad, i have had 3 vaccines for covid, i am registered here in uk with a doctor now.

Nhs says now possible to register foreign vaccines on nhs for covid pass.

I queue online diligently and with true British patience to make a booking to physically show my papers and get them registered.

I tell them where i am in the country.

They give me my nearest centre able to deal with foreign vaccines.

Sheffield.

I live in Basingstoke !! 150 miles away.

A 300 mile round trip to show some papers.

It's called levelling up.

On 12/13/2021 at 2:44 PM, wuvvum said:

That didn't go well.  Went out to the Mazda at lunchtime to check the coolant level, noticed a drip from under the thermostat housing so removed it to check whether the gasket was seated properly.

20211213_142844.thumb.jpg.5893ed1f931805071bbf8b9532f090b3.jpg

Well shit.  That's that car out of action then until I can source a replacement.  Only possibilities I've found so far are a new housing from a site in the Philippines which won't post outside the country, and a rather overpriced used Ford Festiva housing on eBay US. @gricer do you have any hot tips for sourcing bits for these?  I could try JB Weld I suppose but that's unlikely to be a long term solution...

As a last resort it is possible to have something similar made that would do the job.

I could have done it at one time, but due to my son's impending job change it's not easy. @JimH may know a man/lady  who can.

1 hour ago, Yoss said:

Edit:

It looks like this. I didn't know Lambda was a Greek letter but I'm guessing it's a lambda sensor warning light. Top deduction by me there. 

Yup, hence lambda sensors on modern stuff with cats. 

1 hour ago, Mally said:

As a last resort it is possible to have something similar made that would do the job.

I could have done it at one time, but due to my son's impending job change it's not easy. @JimH may know a man/lady  who can.

It looks like a Mk1 MX5 housing would probably fit on - the pipe exits at the wrong angle but that's not insurmountable.  The main issue is that on the 121 the temp sensor is in the housing, and there's no hole for one on the MX5.

5 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

It looks like a Mk1 MX5 housing would probably fit on - the pipe exits at the wrong angle but that's not insurmountable.  The main issue is that on the 121 the temp sensor is in the housing, and there's no hole for one on the MX5.

You can/could  get adaptors to insert in the side of the top hose for a temp sensor..

Or a metal tube with sensor housing and cut the top hose in half.

2 hours ago, reb said:

Hard acceleration up a hill has yielded this:

20211214_202409.thumb.jpg.f31985b621f94b83636220734f76e0dc.jpg

Restarting the car didn't clear it, so I suppose I'd better get the obd cable from the unit!

Is that a 940? There’s a heating element in the Lambda sensor which is controlled by the fuel pump relay, the relay often plays up and can put this light on. 

15 hours ago, Pieman said:

What's the weather like up there on that high horse of yours?

Oh, it's lovely. I'm sorry.  Are you just being a bit nasty though. 

But it's dangerous out there. People make mistakes. If you were teaching Your kids to cross a road at a pedestrian crossing wouldn't you teach them, by saying. No wait.  That might be the green man, but is that car going to stop? 

Right it's stopped. We can cross. Keep a look out for cyclists. 

On 12/9/2021 at 4:45 PM, cort16 said:

The Vet system seems to be setup to extract as much money from pet insurance as is possible, which means it really hurts when have to pay it out your own pocket.

Taking a pet to the vets gives you a flavour of what it must be like living in America when you need to go to the doctors.

No different to car body shops that do insurance repairs.

Walk in and ask for a quote on something really simple like a cracked bumper and a little dent on a bonnet and be astonished at the number they pluck out the air when you tell them it's not going through insurance.

It will be 4 figures. Easily. £1500+ For what should be a 2-300 repair tops.

5 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Oh lovely.  I'm sorry.  Are you being a bit patronising though?

Yes. Almost definately. But if my patronising makes you think, next time you cross a road, and a car* goes straight through a red light, then so be it.  At least you'll be able to think "That patronising bastard, New POD. How dare he save my life" 

*That car was me the other week. I went through a pedestrian crossing on red in my car, by mistake, because for once** in 30 years of driving I wasn't driving up to the required standard. 

** I say once. Cast the first stone if anyone can say they are without sin. I've clearly made a few mistakes over the years. 

4 hours ago, New POD said:

But it's dangerous out there. People make mistakes. If you were teaching Your kids to cross a road at a pedestrian crossing wouldn't you teach them, by saying. No wait.  That might be the green man, but is that car going to stop?   Right it's stopped. We can cross. Keep a look out for cyclists. 

All of this is absolutely correct, true and reasonable.  However, the point I made was that if someone on here, who we can reasonably assume is an adult and has half-a-clue what they are doing crossing the road, has managed to be on the recieving end of some bellend jumping a red light and nearly running them down, it's not exactly helpful for you to suggest that they haven't taken enough care crossing the road, IE victim blaming.

The issue is that someone not paying attention and/or driving like a cunt has gone through a red lamp (IE a criminal offence).  Whilst a pedestrian crossing the road is of course the vulnerable party, and hence it's reasonable for them to need to be vigilant and careful, only one party broke the law and hence needs to up their game when it comes to road safety.

13 hours ago, Yoss said:

Edit:

The lambda light on these tends to be the EML. So pretty much anything.

On 12/13/2021 at 2:44 PM, wuvvum said:

That didn't go well.  Went out to the Mazda at lunchtime to check the coolant level, noticed a drip from under the thermostat housing so removed it to check whether the gasket was seated properly.

20211213_142844.thumb.jpg.5893ed1f931805071bbf8b9532f090b3.jpg

Well shit.  That's that car out of action then until I can source a replacement.  Only possibilities I've found so far are a new housing from a site in the Philippines which won't post outside the country, and a rather overpriced used Ford Festiva housing on eBay US. @gricer do you have any hot tips for sourcing bits for these?  I could try JB Weld I suppose but that's unlikely to be a long term solution...

There are a number of ways you could deal with this. 

It would be fairly painless to fabricate one in steel. It might not look the prettiest thing on God's clean earth but it would be fairly painless and easy to do. You could do the same in aluminium but that would involve ali welding which we can't do yet.

The MX-5 option is probably the easiest and then jury rig/bodge/expertly modify it to take the temperature probe. There are many ways that could be done.

We have had good success with using Belzona of some flavour to rebuild the broken part. You need to take time and effort to make a job of it and Belzona are less than forthcoming when selling their products. However, you can usually pick up part used or surplus stock* on ebay. If you take time getting things cleaner than a clean thing that has had a good wash because it was meeting someone they liked then things often pan out quite successfully. 

6 hours ago, New POD said:

Yes. Almost definately. But if my patronising makes you think, next time you cross a road, and a car* goes straight through a red light, then so be it.  At least you'll be able to think "That patronising bastard, New POD. How dare he save my life" 

*That car was me the other week. I went through a pedestrian crossing on red in my car, by mistake, because for once** in 30 years of driving I wasn't driving up to the required standard. 

** I say once. Cast the first stone if anyone can say they are without sin. I've clearly made a few mistakes over the years. 

No, I won't think of you next time I cross the road because i) I don't know you and ii) I'll be busy trying to cross the road and iii) Nobody likes unsolicited advice because it's patronising and unnecessary.

21 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

No, I won't think of you next time I cross the road because i) I don't know you and ii) I'll be busy trying to cross the road and iii) Nobody likes unsolicited advice because it's patronising and unnecessary.

Fair. 

On 13/12/2021 at 18:58, Pieman said:

To the bloke in the bright blue BMW who nearly ran me down by ignoring the red light on the pelican crossing I was using earlier today, I hope you catch Omicron and snuff it, you fucking blind cunt.

(It's not the first time I've nearly been hit by an ignorant twat on that crossing either.)

What about you pieman? Given that it was not the first time it nearly happened ? 

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

I have actually found that some versions of the MX5 did have the temp sensor in the housing.  The only issue is the outlet pipe is far too big, so would need to bodge something together with reducers and joiners, but it's probably doable.

You called sir?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252222008497?hash=item3ab99a6cb1:g:koEAAOSwPIhhYDDu