The grumpy thread

outlaw118

42 minutes ago, junkyarddog said:

Ambling along today in my Honda, was going to a local car meet,last one of the year.

Driving along at the legal limit,there was a Toyota prius behind me for a few miles,when he decided to overtake me,then immediately slow down so we were actually travelling slower than before he overtook!!!

WTF? 

Lucky he went round you , there's a dumb fk Prius driver round here that looks like they drive into and through everything looking at the all round panel damage 

1 hour ago, junkyarddog said:

Ambling along today in my Honda, was going to a local car meet,last one of the year.

Driving along at the legal limit,there was a Toyota prius behind me for a few miles,when he decided to overtake me,then immediately slow down so we were actually travelling slower than before he overtook!!!

WTF? 

'The car in front is a Toyota'

2 hours ago, junkyarddog said:

WTF? 

I've lost count of how many times that's happened to me lately around here.  Last time I was driving up to Leicester where our dentist is I overtook/was overtaken by the same Focus EIGHT times.

I had the cruise set at 70 and my speed didn't change once the whole time!

It is absolutely maddening though when someone sits two inches of your rear bumper for miles, finally overtakes you...then proceeds to continue driving 10mph slower than you were going beforehand.

6 hours ago, junkyarddog said:

WTF? 

get that on the M6 north a lot , they also hog the middle lane , I watch them slowly catch up with me , then I find an excuse to pull out into the middle lane before they go into parrot mode and sit on your back bumper for a few miles when you may  want to move out , seems to piss them off having to share the middle lane ...

21 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

What should have been a simple half-hour job to change a set of drop links has now become a two-day fuckabout, with the car currently immobile.

501694877_IMG_20211212_1114532.thumb.jpg.063ed25d27471b2fdf12c7c817922f8c.jpg

Threads on the lower bolt remained impervious to being doused in penetrating oil, and now the hole for the H5 allen key has rounded off.

Looks like it's gonna be an angle grinder job to cut it off - if only it'd stop raining for long enough...

Got it off using the magic spark machine.

1806532886_IMG_20211212_1630492.thumb.jpg.79033deb2c2deae13fbcca3e45d06260.jpg

Put the new link on, then tried and failed to torque it up to the correct 45Nm because my wrench was too long to fit under the wheelarch - so just nipped it up as tightly as I could get it, popped the wheels back on and dropped it... 

...and it still makes a loud clonk from the front o/s at random intervals.

Bumhats.

On 06/12/2021 at 18:39, Talbot said:

Had you hit said cyclist, I'm fairly sure you'd not have been held responsible.  This reminds me of a similar incident that was shown on some police-camera-action type programme where a car had hit a completely invisible cyclist, not realised what had happened and just driven home.  The cyclist was killed, the driver not held responsible.

iirc the cyclist was tested to be pissed as well as having no lights whist wearing dark clothing

11 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

If it's any consolation, my Civic needed 2 drop links and a damper for the MOT but it still makes exactly the same knock as before. It was good enough for the MOT man so I'm just ignoring it.

I think what's bothering me the most is not knowing what the knock is... It's a substantial, metal-on-metal thwack that I thought was the anti-roll bar banging off the shonky link, but it's all nipped up tight now - so clearly not that.

Just a smidge disquieting after what happened to the previous Subaru!

Hmm, the knock in the Civic is quite muffled, like a worn bush, not a metal on metal clunking.

Jack it up, put it on a stand before jacking the bottom arm up to take the tension off the anti roll bar should let you test to see if it's worn bushes on that. Unless it's some sort of awkward design, I wouldn't imagine that's too onerous a task for either you or a garage to sort.

2 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Hmm, the knock in the Civic is quite muffled, like a worn bush, not a metal on metal clunking.

Jack it up, put it on a stand before jacking the bottom arm up to take the tension off the anti roll bar should let you test to see if it's worn bushes on that. Unless it's some sort of awkward design, I wouldn't imagine that's too onerous a task for either you or a garage to sort.

Are these double wishbone on the front like the Accord? Ours had an annoying knock that perpetuated several MOTs and it turned out to be the upper wishbone ball joint. 

With the car on the ground you can usually feel it by rocking the top of the wheel towards you.

58 minutes ago, juular said:

Are these double wishbone on the front like the Accord? Ours had an annoying knock that perpetuated several MOTs and it turned out to be the upper wishbone ball joint. 

With the car on the ground you can usually feel it by rocking the top of the wheel towards you.

No, there's just a control arm at the bottom, and then the damper strut goes on up to the top of the shock tower.

There's no clicking noise, so I don't think it's a driveshaft - but a bush of some kind seems like a probable culprit. It just has a tendency to produce quite an alarming 'clonk' when moving off, slowing down, or steering.

I should probably bash some pics up on my own thread to show what's under there, and see what the consensus is!

That didn't go well.  Went out to the Mazda at lunchtime to check the coolant level, noticed a drip from under the thermostat housing so removed it to check whether the gasket was seated properly.

20211213_142844.thumb.jpg.5893ed1f931805071bbf8b9532f090b3.jpg

Well shit.  That's that car out of action then until I can source a replacement.  Only possibilities I've found so far are a new housing from a site in the Philippines which won't post outside the country, and a rather overpriced used Ford Festiva housing on eBay US. @gricer do you have any hot tips for sourcing bits for these?  I could try JB Weld I suppose but that's unlikely to be a long term solution...

To the bloke in the bright blue BMW who nearly ran me down by ignoring the red light on the pelican crossing I was using earlier today, I hope you catch Omicron and snuff it, you fucking blind cunt.

(It's not the first time I've nearly been hit by an ignorant twat on that crossing either.)

2 hours ago, Pieman said:

To the bloke in the bright blue BMW who nearly ran me down by ignoring the red light on the pelican crossing I was using earlier today, I hope you catch Omicron and snuff it, you fucking blind cunt.

(It's not the first time I've nearly been hit by an ignorant twat on that crossing either.)

I know you shouldn't have to. But perhaps wait until all the cars are stationary before you cross. 

3 hours ago, Pieman said:

There used to be a really bad crossing for this when I was at uni. One day I lost my temper and kicked the door of the car that nearly hit me. I didn't realise the car behind was a police car. Lights went on, I shat myself a bit and they pulled him over and didn't give me a second look. I was a bit more careful after that. I wonder if he was too.

Why can’t this lurgy do one. 8 days now I’ve been laid up with all sorts of snot, coughs, headaches and joint aches. I had a second PCR yesterday morning and that’s come through negative.

Bronchial infection and a heavy cold really isn’t fun.

I have been vaccinated abroad, i have had 3 vaccines for covid, i am registered here in uk with a doctor now.

Nhs says now possible to register foreign vaccines on nhs for covid pass.

I queue online diligently and with true British patience to make a booking to physically show my papers and get them registered.

I tell them where i am in the country.

They give me my nearest centre able to deal with foreign vaccines.

Sheffield.

I live in Basingstoke !! 150 miles away.

A 300 mile round trip to show some papers.