The grumpy thread

outlaw118

1 hour ago, Bren said:

I have no objection to making a profit - but I object to having the piss taken because of the emotional bond we have with our pets.

This, every time I visit. Can't think of a time when I haven't come out £70 lighter after a 'checkup'. Everything is geared towards making you come back for another ££ visit. I refuse to buy their meds now because I just think it's a mark-up racket. They are very nice and all the rest of it, but this is an industry crying out for a 'disruptor' - like online glasses did to high street opticians. 

I hope Harvey feels better soon.

28 minutes ago, cort16 said:

The Vet system seems to be setup to extract as much money from pet insurance as is possible, which means it really hurts when have to pay it out your own pocket.

Taking a pet to the vets gives you a flavour of what it must be like living in America when you need to go to the doctors.

We have insurance. Our cat, Jerry, was limping a few weeks ago. Luckily all was well, but the bill was £80. I was confident that would be more than the excess, but no - excess is £100, sir. Fuck's sake. 

Obviously I will study the form much better when renewal is up, but on the other hand I've got better things to do than this shit. 

34 minutes ago, grogee said:

This, every time I visit. Can't think of a time when I haven't come out £70 lighter after a 'checkup'. Everything is geared towards making you come back for another ££ visit. I refuse to buy their meds now because I just think it's a mark-up racket. They are very nice and all the rest of it, but this is an industry crying out for a 'disruptor' - like online glasses did to high street opticians. 

I hope Harvey feels better soon.

Unfortunately it's old age. He is ten next June. Cavaliers only live 9-11 years.

I think this christmas will be his last sadly.

My mother had a Collie-Retriever cross rescue dog that the vet reckoned was 21 when she was eventually put to sleep, based on him estimating her age as 6 when he first saw her and the dog living another 15 years. 

Mum had been told the dog was 3, so even if the vet's estimate was wrong the dog wasn't any younger than 18.

14 hours ago, cort16 said:

My 7 series failed it's MOT on a rear shock absorber.. You can't get them after market, price from BMW £812.

There are lots of second hand ones on ebay for about £180 BUT they're all for the right hand side of the car and I need it for the left. They are of courses sided.

I've found a new one  in Lithuinia for £575 or there's a guy in Derby selling both for shock for £300 but it's on Friggin Facebook market place. I don't want to drive to Derby.

That's the risks with running ageing mega barges I suppose but it friggin stings.

Bub lives in that area. Maybe he could get them for you and post them on?

15 hours ago, Bren said:

Vets.

Harley our King Charles has developed a cough - previous experience has proved this is his heart. We took him to the vets about a fortnight ago - a consultation and two weeks meds was £90.

We rang for a repeat prescription - they would only give us five says meds - that will be £35 please - he needs to go back in next Tuesday. 

I hope they don't try and charge for another " consultation" because I will do an impression of an atomic bomb.

I have no objection to making a profit - but I object to having the piss taken because of the emotional bond we have with our pets.

Our's sicked up a razor-sharp pork bone last Monday.  She'd raided the bin (first time ever at 2 1/2...) and had a dicky stomach for a couple of days but we hadn't thought anything of it.  Emergency vet visit once we realised as this can do huge amounts of damage and quite easily perforate their stomach or small intestine.  Ended up opting for an x-ray.  The (very attractive) vet gave me the option but I wasn't going to muck about worry about there being more in there.

'If she stays still and doesn't need sedation, it'll be £250.  If she does need sedating, the x-ray will be £400.'

Got the x-ray (right decision) and thankfully didn't need sedation.  Bill was still £325.  Excess will be £100 after claiming on insurance.  Emptying the bin properly now...

Mind you, that's nothing compared to emergency vet bills at the out-of-hours place.  Last year her face completely swelled up one evening very suddenly (probably stung by a wasp) and it was £200+ for a consultation and some steroids.  The trials of a Golden Retriever/Labrador cross.

15 minutes ago, Spurious said:

Isn't that useful however having pet insurance. Vet bills be awfully high. 

Smallest excess tends to be around £50 but most are nearer £100. That means first consultation , typically £40 is going to cost you. Insurance is very useful though if ongoing treatment is required as it does protect you from really big bills if an operation is required. 

We've gone for insurance for our two rescue dogs. The one my missus selected includes jabs and worming treatment and is not an awful lot more than the cost of those.

Given our youngest dog incurred bills nearing 2k last year after some sort of reaction to medication it caused us to think about it after dismissing it for many years. Hopefully we won't need it now.

How it'll work if they recommend she be put down again like last time is a moot point. I suspect that it won't then be covered and it'll be do what you need to save her, here's my credit card time again. Having your missus coming out of the vets with tears streaming down her face is more than enough for one lifetime.

I took my dog to the vet last year as she was off her food and she had an x-ray, which showed a large lump on her liver, so game over, she had to be put down a week later. What was annoying was the vet trying to talk me into an ultrasound as well, as the x-ray wasn't razor sharp. At a mere €200. Which was annoying, as my wife had had a private ultrasound a couple of weeks before for €150.

A year ago our little shitzu doggie,  aged around ten . Eat some chicken bones my grandson gave it. Next day poorly sick and couldn't move. Off to the vets with my non insured doggie. Vet wanted £2,400 just to make a start. With no guarantees of any remote succes. So doggie was put down for £179.00 . We haven't got another and won't be getting one. I know people who spend hundreds a month for their ailing dogs . Fair play to them but  not for me. Although on our estate it's compulsory when getting a dog to spend at least £2,599 on some sausage dog or other fur ball with legs. Then parade round the school gates with the bleeding thing. Dont take it for a walk any other time obviously.  Just to school so other people can see how much richer than them you are. Or just highlight that you're fella has a questionable occupation involving class A substances. Also Facebook posts of your  massive Xmas tree. With a million lights. Dont see posts of the old mattress and other shite in the front garden though hey Sandra. 

21 hours ago, cort16 said:

My 7 series failed it's MOT on a rear shock absorber.. You can't get them after market, price from BMW £812.

There are lots of second hand ones on ebay for about £180 BUT they're all for the right hand side of the car and I need it for the left. They are of courses sided.

I've found a new one  in Lithuinia for £575 or there's a guy in Derby selling both for shock for £300 but it's on Friggin Facebook market place. I don't want to drive to Derby.

That's the risks with running ageing mega barges I suppose but it friggin stings.

Where in derby is he? I'm in derby and know a few people that break cars

50 minutes ago, taxi paul said:

A year ago our little shitzu doggie,  aged around ten . Eat some chicken bones my grandson gave it. Next day poorly sick and couldn't move. Off to the vets with my non insured doggie. Vet wanted £2,400 just to make a start. With no guarantees of any remote succes. So doggie was put down for £179.00 . We haven't got another and won't be getting one. I know people who spend hundreds a month for their ailing dogs . Fair play to them but  not for me. Although on our estate it's compulsory when getting a dog to spend at least £2,599 on some sausage dog or other fur ball with legs. Then parade round the school gates with the bleeding thing. Dont take it for a walk any other time obviously.  Just to school so other people can see how much richer than them you are. Or just highlight that you're fella has a questionable occupation involving class A substances. Also Facebook posts of your  massive Xmas tree. With a million lights. Dont see posts of the old mattress and other shite in the front garden though hey Sandra. 

I hope your grandson realises what he did there.  And it's nice to see someone with a similar view of humankind to me! 😝

Went to Lidl for some odds and ends, wish I hadn't now.  Tyre exploded on the sliproad just outside, had to change the wheel with traffic flying past at 70mph.

Then had to drive it home, very slowly. broken spring rubbing on the tyre.

So that is two tyres and a spring on Monday - need to angry-grinder the spring so I can drive it to the workshop.  They are closed at weekends.

DSCF3453.JPG

DSCF3452.JPG

Got home, putting shopping away, four pack of yoghurt, snapped in the middle and dropped to the floor, splattering yoghurt all over the floor.

A proper snappy day.

This is all we've been hearing for hours on end every night for the last week.

Exact volume varies from minute to minute depending on exactly what the wind is doing.  Louder than the camera makes it sound.

Loud enough that it keeps setting the dogs off.

The really annoying part?

The car park they're doing this in is about 500 metres from the Central Milton Keynes Police Station.  They can SEE it from their main entrance.

Edited by Zelandeth
Fighting with this stupid editor...

at the risk of making you even grumpier Sorry! it seems the editor/forum software has eaten the video file im getting a sorry could not find the file error

2 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

The car park they're doing this in is about 500 metres from the Central Milton Keynes Police Station.  They can SEE it from their main entrance.

can you go over there and politely of course, ask someone at the station why they are not doing anything about it?

4 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

at the risk of making you even grumpier Sorry! it seems the editor/forum software has eaten the video file im getting a sorry could not find the file error

can you go over there and politely of course, ask someone at the station why they are not doing anything about it?

The editor was being an absolute bastard while I was trying to post it, so not surprised.  Try it now?

Last time we spoke to them about it, as an aside when I was also reporting a hit and run, the response I got was "It's the weekend, what do you expect?"

For Mrs Grogee's works doo, we stayed in a Best Western which has a Marco Pierre White restaurant in it. 

Went down for breakfast this morning. I understand the whole celebrity chef thing, it's a brand, and they milk it. 

But what sort of psychopath would line the walls of his restaurants with black and white pictures ENTIRELY of himself? What a cunt!

IMG_20211212_094506544~2.jpg