The grumpy thread

outlaw118

3 hours ago, Wack said:

Knights of the road my arse , what a cunt , skittling a car rather than just backing off 

The car should have used the slip road properly, but what a stubborn cunt that lorry driver must be.  Causing an accident to prove a point?  Bellend.  

However, the real villain here is whoever made it into a Tiktok video and added that awful music.  

1 hour ago, junkyarddog said:

If you can't merge with traffic on a busy stretch of road,you have no business being there.

They obviously couldn't. 

Give your own head a wobble,if you think they needed special treatment to join the flow of traffic.

She didn't need to be run into a motorway bridge either,

10 hours ago, Minimad5 said:

This

20211202_153558.jpg

Doesn't just fit in this 

20211202_153600.jpg

Fancy tool is apparently required. Bollox.

Looks like I'll try have to make one in work 🙈

Guessing some threaded bar, washers and a medley of nuts won’t work. Invest in a press or a few quid at the garage to press it in between jobs

5 hours ago, beko1987 said:

3 grey hairs! I remember that starting... 😂

I was going grey in my mid 20s,pretty much fully grey now! Thick head of hair though

My grandad on my mums side died in his 90s with a full thick head of hair... (no more males that side to compare it to other than me) whereas my dad and other grandad are balding (dad just has a number 1 all over) so hopefully I'll take after my mums side and it's not all about to fall out over the next 10 years... 

I'm the other way round - the men on my mum's side tend to go bald early, but that side of the family is late going grey (my mum is 70 and has only just started greying at the temples).  My dad's side they tend to keep their hair but go white.  I'm tending more towards my dad's side.  Probably a good thing - hair dye is cheaper than implants...

^ All good suggestions, but the bore is 3mm smaller than the Bush.

The official tool is tapered and squeezes the outer plastic sleeve (yes I know, why not stick with metal 🤦‍♂️), so it's all a snug interference fit.

So I'll be trying some clamps around it today. Good old Range Rover.

2 hours ago, junkyarddog said:

Shit happens. 

Only herself to blame.

She may have learned a valuable lesson and be more careful and vigilant in the future.

Some people have to learn the hard way in life.

I used to work with a guy with that attitude , if it's not my fault they can fuck off I'll just ram them , fortunately the boss didn't think the same and got rid of him

People make mistakes , why anyone would think like that I have no idea , hit them and spend the next 5 years ticking the yes box on any accidents to declare 

Or back off and don't , sounds simple enough to me.

7 minutes ago, Wack said:

I used to work with a guy with that attitude , if it's not my fault they can fuck off I'll just ram them , fortunately the boss didn't think the same and got rid of him

People make mistakes , why anyone would think like that I have no idea , hit them and spend the next 5 years ticking the yes box on any accidents to declare 

Or back off and don't , sounds simple enough to me.

Don't matter to me,I wasn't driving the car,I wasn't driving the truck.

The car driver messed up.

That's the reality of it.

Robbing price gouging fuel companies.  Used to be a few pence difference between super and regular unleaded.

Usual garage today, unleaded: 151.9.

Super: 165.9.  So £0.14/litre difference.  An extra £7.30 on today's fill up.

All because they know a fair chunk of their customers don't want to play E10 fuel system failure bingo.

The white car pulled out into the path of a truck in a suicidal move. 

That car could easily out accelerate ahead or out brake the truck. 

The truck driver could probably have braked to avoid the accident but the car might have braked last minute or accelerated out of the way. The car driver still pulled out in front of a speeding truck and is therfore an utter prick. 

Unless they were having some sort of seizure or black out at the time then no sympathy. 

4 hours ago, Minimad5 said:

^ All good suggestions, but the bore is 3mm smaller than the Bush.

The official tool is tapered and squeezes the outer plastic sleeve (yes I know, why not stick with metal 🤦‍♂️), so it's all a snug interference fit.

"Snug interference fit" = doesn't fit. That's terrible! I can't see how the 'official' tool squeezes the plastic such a large amount without breaking it (but then I am pretty dense)

😬

21 minutes ago, grogee said:

"Snug interference fit" = doesn't fit. That's terrible! I can't see how the 'official' tool squeezes the plastic such a large amount without breaking it (but then I am pretty dense)

😬

They are able to deform a good few mm.

I've managed to do it without the official tool, so I'm happy. Although still got the other side to do 😅

As seen below - Got one in:

20211203_171505.jpg

Jubilee clip used to compress Bush (I wanted an exhaust sleeve, but I'm £broke£ so had to dig about the garage. Anyway 

20211203_164840.jpg

yep my vice was too close to the wall, so off with the vice and on the floor

20211203_170330.jpg

probably see my poor attempt at a chamfer all around the front face. But it worked.

So eerr add this to grin thread too 😅

15 minutes ago, Minimad5 said:

They are able to deform a good few mm.

I've managed to do it without the official tool, so I'm happy. Although still got the other side to do 😅

As seen below - Got one in:

20211203_171505.jpg

Jubilee clip used to compress Bush (I wanted an exhaust sleeve, but I'm £broke£ so had to dig about the garage. Anyway 

20211203_164840.jpg

yep my vice was too close to the wall, so off with the vice and on the floor

20211203_170330.jpg

probably see my poor attempt at a chamfer all around the front face. But it worked.

So eerr add this to grin thread too 😅

Well done! That looks like an absolute bastard to get in. How many more to do - 1 or 3?

1 minute ago, grogee said:

Well done! That looks like an absolute bastard to get in. How many more to do - 1 or 3?

Just a pair (drivers side)

But also got to remove the high pressure fuel pump, fit new bosch seals, re-fit and time pump. Then inlet manifold etc to go back on and hopefully transfer insurance over .... all before Monday 😅

9 hours ago, dean36014 said:

It's a daily occurrence that drives me mad as a truck driver. Nice empty rd in front of the truck and the car driver matches the trucks speed and makes no attempt to speed up and get in front.  One dab of the loud pedal and the car could have been clear and safely in front but no they blindly turned straight into the truck. It never ceases to amaze me how many people don't check their mirrors until the end of the slip road when it's too late 

I agree with all of that , it was 100% the car drivers fault but I see it over and over , crashes that could be avoided but for belligerent drivers, some people panic when entering a high speed road , do they deserve to die for it  , no 

15 minutes ago, Wack said:

I agree with all of that , it was 100% the car drivers fault but I see it over and over , crashes that could be avoided but for belligerent drivers, some people panic when entering a high speed road , do they deserve to die for it  , no 

Just as dangerous for the truck driver to slam brakes on as well. It boils down to lack of training in motorway disciplines. A lot of the modern trucks have an anti collision radar fitted. I've had a few near misses when a car has cut straight across the front of me and the truck decides to perform an emergency stop. Been nearly hit in the rear a few times when it happens. You have to remember a truck is limited to 56mph so it's not hard for most modern cars to exceed that speed up a slip road and forward plan their manoeuvre.

Insignificunt driver seems all too typical of a fair percentage of people on the roads nowadays. Zero attention being paid to their surroundings and expecting everyone else to accommodate them.
Hopefully that was a brown trousered wake up call and they'll take a bit more notice in future.

What am I saying, of course it won't. - "OMFG a fucking truck tried to kill me, I was like.....literally just driving along minding my own business and this truck just rammed into me".

We did our Blue light course for the ambulances, it was based on roadcraft and their system of driving. A lot of this was positioning yourself on the road and adjusting your speed based on hazards around you. 

Say the car pulling out of the junction who you think hasn't seen you. No point in barreling, albeit with the right of way only to have to take evasive action. No you'll be moving out early, cycling your siren and ready to drop the speed if they don't see you. Morons are everywhere on the road and if they can't see a bloody big ambulance with flashy lights, anyone else doesn't stand a hope. 

Touch wood, it's kept us safe so far. No point getting hurt out on the road, I'd like to get home at the end of the day. 

14 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I'm the other way round - the men on my mum's side tend to go bald early, but that side of the family is late going grey (my mum is 70 and has only just started greying at the temples).  My dad's side they tend to keep their hair but go white.  I'm tending more towards my dad's side.  Probably a good thing - hair dye is cheaper than implants...

What's wrong with embracing the grey? 

What's wrong with going bald? 

It's just normal. 

Wife has got a bee in her bonnet about a member of our extended family, who may need support in the future that the holistically  joined up*  education, social care, benefit system are likely to deliberately refuse to supply.   Every conversation this week has started with a rant at me, which I've realised has nothing to do with the rant and everything to do with a conversation she's just had with someone else. 

Then we've been invited to my parents for new year.  How might that make me grumpy? Well she's had 5 hours to replay what my reaction should be. And the exact words I should use when she tells me. And guess what. I didn't pick those words. 

Added to the fact that I had to have it pointed out that It might be my dad's last Christmas given that he's 85, and having cancer treatment on his voice box, (they got 99% with a laser and are going to do it again on Wednesday) and is starting to look a bit frail. 

I don't seem to have the emotions that I should have. Yes. It might be his last new year. It might not. Doesn't mean I need to spend new year with my parents.  If he dies, he dies. That's what happens.  It going to happen one day. I'm not going to spend a year grieving. 

This has made me feel like I'm probably not normal.  Is this a normal emotion. I don't actually care enough. I obviously should but I don't. 

3 hours ago, New POD said:

Wife has got a bee in her bonnet about a member of our extended family, who may need support in the future that the holistically  joined up*  education, social care, benefit system are likely to deliberately refuse to supply.   Every conversation this week has started with a rant at me, which I've realised has nothing to do with the rant and everything to do with a conversation she's just had with someone else. 

Then we've been invited to my parents for new year.  How might that make me grumpy? Well she's had 5 hours to replay what my reaction should be. And the exact words I should use when she tells me. And guess what. I didn't pick those words. 

Added to the fact that I had to have it pointed out that It might be my dad's last Christmas given that he's 85, and having cancer treatment on his voice box, (they got 99% with a laser and are going to do it again on Wednesday) and is starting to look a bit frail. 

I don't seem to have the emotions that I should have. Yes. It might be his last new year. It might not. Doesn't mean I need to spend new year with my parents.  If he dies, he dies. That's what happens.  It going to happen one day. I'm not going to spend a year grieving. 

This has made me feel like I'm probably not normal.  Is this a normal emotion. I don't actually care enough. I obviously should but I don't. 

Don't inflict your wife on anyone.

Leave her at home. When she asks why tell her because she's a "horrible cunt who can't be fucking trusted". Try and do your best Alan Ford impression, glasses optional but recommended.

It maybe your Dad's last Christmas and you don't want her ruining it.

As for your Dad, being realistic and excepting the inevitable doesn't make you heartless.

You will care when it happens, very much so. If you don't then yes there is something very wrong with you.

Good luck.

3 minutes ago, New POD said:

I think my worry is that when it does happen I might not care very much.  Ill think how inconvenient it all is or something equally crass. 

Maybe you just aren't that close. You don't have to be. There is no manual on how to be. You don't have to sob every day for hours on end.

For me it was silly stuff that I'd phone and visit my Dad for. Car related things, football stuff, shit jokes I knew he would like.

You'll find your own way with it soon enough. Don't be too hard on yourself either, it's not a competition to grieve.

Go to the funeral, show your respects and that's it.

Anyway, I hope your Dad still has a fair few Christmases left in him. 

8 hours ago, Spurious said:

We did our Blue light course for the ambulances, it was based on roadcraft and their system of driving. A lot of this was positioning yourself on the road and adjusting your speed based on hazards around you. 

Say the car pulling out of the junction who you think hasn't seen you. No point in barreling, albeit with the right of way only to have to take evasive action. No you'll be moving out early, cycling your siren and ready to drop the speed if they don't see you. Morons are everywhere on the road and if they can't see a bloody big ambulance with flashy lights, anyone else doesn't stand a hope. 

Touch wood, it's kept us safe so far. No point getting hurt out on the road, I'd like to get home at the end of the day. 

It doesn’t look like the lorry had any option to pull into lane 2, but even when there is , few drivers do it.

My parent’s house is on a busy dual carriageway way. It’s downhill from about 5 miles to there, so even the biggest lorries are doing 70+. 
There is no slip road at all , you have to join the road at right angles from a standing start. However, when waiting at the edge of the road, approaching drivers can see you for at least 1/2 mile, but does anyone ever move into lane 2 , to let you join safely ? No more than 5% , I’d say.

Now I know me joining that road safely is my responsibility and no one else’s , but if you can make live easier for someone  for no effort ,why don’t you?

Similarly, it wasn’t the lorry driver’s responsibility to avoid that crash, but he could have done and was a complete bar steward to do what he did.