The grumpy thread

outlaw118

PC has broken, so feeling a bit bored this evening. Spotted an old Nikon digital camera that wore it's lens cogs out so decided to have a go at fixing it.

After removing the 200th microscopic screw, I started to regret doing so. Arranged screws into the same shape as they go in on the camera.

5666730359_15ea2479f4_b.jpg

Couldn't make sense of screw arrangements, so referred to the online assembly manual.

5667305404_750556ab39_b.jpg

One of the plastic cogs on the automatic lens motor (there are five in there!) had stripped a tooth, so used some 'QUIKSTEEL', having never used it before, moulded a winnet sized piece and shaped it into a tooth shape. Pleased to find it was set rock hard 5 minutes later, and it even worked and span the lens in and out! Result! I then reassembled, and broke the end off a ribbon cable, which means I'll have to fork out a few more quids for an ebay part. Borrocks! :(

Was left with approximately six screws after everything back together again. :( :(

You did better than I did with my Fuji Z20 earlier in the thread!

Talking of tiny screws, the screen on my laptop has gone black three times in the last two days, revived by a quick jiggle. It's the backlight, I can see things on the screen. Dear computer, please don't break, I probably can't afford to fix you and I definitely can't afford to replace you.

"Did you like me posting that [i miss you] message on your facebook wall?"

"Yes it was really nice of you"

"No it's ok I know you don't mean it, I won't do it anymore"

"I'll see you very soon"

"So you don't want to come and see me tomorrow?"

and so forth

Sorry to drag this up again, just been thinking about what NC said. Is there a type of girl who doesn't need texting and facebooking every 5 minutes to prevent her going into a sulk? If there is I'd love to meet her, maybe I attract the insecure ones for some reason. I CBA with all this constant messaging, which is why I'm single I suppose.

My and one of my mates went halfers on this e46 BMW from the Auctions to fix up and sell. There was a grinding from the rear passenger side when we picked it up I intially thought was a wheel bearing but when I took the disc off the back plate had rusted out and the hand brake mechanism had collapsed. I pissed about for hours fitting a new back plate, rebuilding the hand brake mechanism, fixed some other bits and sorted some body work and had it repainted. After doing all the spannering my mates part of the job was to take it for it's mot and sell it. Well is the cocking thing not still making that grinding noise. Aaargh!. My mate's friendly with a guy who runs a garage so I've just told him to stick in there, get it sorted and move on. What a pisser. Paint looks good though.

Talking of tiny screws, the screen on my laptop has gone black three times in the last two days, revived by a quick jiggle. It's the backlight, I can see things on the screen. Dear computer, please don't break, I probably can't afford to fix you and I definitely can't afford to replace you.

did your refurb turn up o.k?? I saw this model in Asda yesterday....£85!

did your refurb turn up o.k?? I saw this model in Asda yesterday....£85!

Yep, it came two days after I ordered it. If it didn't say 'your refurbished camera' on the box, you'd swear it was brand new. A great deal, thanks again for the tip off (and the discount code).

Landlady, the cougar is currently getting 'nailed' loudly, this is not only putting me off my stroke sometimes but the noise of the bed springs is grating, its like the springs are pleading for a break. Luckily for me he chap is a fast worker, the only problem is he's keen. Think I might leave a rusty can of 3-In-1 on the side-table as a hint, mind you she might get the wrong idea and I'll be roped into some three-way gang-bang cougar-fuck-fest, either way it can only be a win surely.

Ah jesus guys give it (and me) a break, you're at it like two teenagers. :|

Just tried to watch a video on Youtube and a (skippable) ad came on first. I was just going to sit through it until I noticed it was a fifteen minute advert for the rapture paid for by some or other religious organisation. Fifteen minutes! The clip was only a couple of minutes long. Who's going to sit and watch a fifteen minute advert for going to hell? Think of the good a church could do with that money instead of pissing it away on an advert no sane person would sit through.

Just tried to watch a video on Youtube and a (skippable) ad came on first. I was just going to sit through it until I noticed it was a fifteen minute advert for the rapture paid for by some or other religious organisation. Fifteen minutes! The clip was only a couple of minutes long. Who's going to sit and watch a fifteen minute advert for going to hell? Think of the good a church could do with that money instead of pissing it away on an advert no sane person would sit through.

I really hate ads on clips. I even had an ad on a feckin' DVD I bought FFS. "Skyline" - a lowish budget sci-f pisch, if anyone is wondering.

Disney make the worst DVDs. Some of them have the hilariously daft 'fast play' feature - after all the copyright BS you get a menu with two options - main menu or fast play. If you press 'fast play' you must first endure an eternity of adverts before the film starts. You can't skip them, you can only fast forward. Ironic since if you chose 'main menu' then 'play movie' there are no adverts and it is much, much faster.

But they're still not as bad as the again unskippable "YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A CAR" horror on FOX DVDs. No, I wouldn't steal a car. But I would download a film, specifically because I wouldn't have to sit through this damn advert.

edit: ahahaha

Disney's FastPlay is a new technology that puts you in control of your viewing preferences.

You can watch the feature presentation just like you would in theaters. After the trailers and feature, stay tuned for an exciting selection of Bonus Features.

Funny enough me and Spottedlaurel was talking about the same thing this evening, Last weekends events shocked me to the core, It really does make you think.

I was talking to someone i knew the other day who was saying how they aren't speaking the their parents at the moment, i told them to stop being a twat as they would feel awful if something happened to them whilst they had a rift between them.

It's right. My sister and I fell out many years ago (things were never smooth) and have exchanged few civil words since. When I emailed her to say I was leaving the country, and did she want any of the stuff I had left from sorting out our parents' house, I had to trawl through three whole years of other emails before I found the last time we were in touch. There's only us, no other kids, so I think it's sad. In a related matter, I phoned an old mate from art college last autumn, to wish him Happy Silver Anniversary, being quite impressed that I have friends who've been married that long. Spoke to his wife, who told me they're getting divorced, he's moved back to Liverpool and is an alcoholic. What timing! Again, all because I hadn't spoken to him in a couple of years.

So don't lose people. Life will do that anyway, you don't need to help it.

And immediately after my last posting, my computer did what it often does, and randomly shut down for a restart. It's taken me 8 minutes to sit watching it go through all its startup, and re-log in to msn and here. Bo-lerks. Fucking technology. Why can't things just fucking work????

I still miss Simon Bates talking about "Sexual swear words" at the beginning of a rental VHS from Blockbuster.

'Some sexy scenes, or very brief nudity.'

While UK enjoys a nice long weekend, China enjoys a 5 day holiday and Thailand stops for something or other, why do I find myself half way through yet another 16 hour day? Extra grumpy about this as I am predominantly working outside at the moment and this worrying statistic accompanied us on the short journey between zones:

IMG00221-20110430-1204.jpg

Yesterday's 36 was bad enough. 46 degrees is absolute torture.

This cheered me up this morning though.

IMG00219-20110429-1041.jpg

And immediately after my last posting, my computer did what it often does, and randomly shut down for a restart. It's taken me 8 minutes to sit watching it go through all its startup, and re-log in to msn and here. Bo-lerks. Fucking technology. Why can't things just fucking work????

Whip the side panel off and see if it is clogged up with dust, can cause overheating that triggers a reboot. Best blown out with an airline but pin the fans with a non-conductive stylus (wooden/plastic skewer works well) to stop them spinning and generating and EMF that will fry semiconductors.

If you don't need Windows for gaming, try Linux.

I stupidly yanked the mains lead from my oldish Linux machine a while back, plugged it back in and without touching anything it booted up and was back with all the web pages in all the browsers back as they were 85 seconds earlier. It remembered everything just as it was down to the post that I was halfway through.

Impressed the hell out of me.

The old machine is still faster than the much newer laptop with twice the spec but running Windows.

What sort of computer is it, ER? Sounds like an overheat protection shutdown.

It's my considered opinion that the seller of that GS is a MASSIVE BELLEND, if only for the "condition of sale" rubbish that he's trying to impose.

Have you seen the latest addition to his Ebay ad? He's more than doubled the asking price and is calling people nazis in the Q&A section. What a tool.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Citroen-GS-Estate-Shell-/140539501226?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8771652172991183403#ht_2878wt_1139

It's my considered opinion that the seller of that GS is a MASSIVE BELLEND, if only for the "condition of sale" rubbish that he's trying to impose.

Have you seen the latest addition to his Ebay ad? He's more than doubled the asking price and is calling people nazis in the Q&A section. What a tool.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Citroen-GS-Estate-Shell-/140539501226?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8771652172991183403#ht_2878wt_1139

Jesus what a complete and utter twat, he's 'released' a question (a perfectly fair question in my opinion) he was asked by a club member and this is his response:

Q: Why are you breaking a perfectly decent GS Estate? This is causing much discussion on the Citroen Car Club site. If you want a decent GS/A engine for your plane then there are plenty available through the CCC. Please reconsider this auction and sell the complete vehicle for a sensible price to someone who will use it as its maker intended. Rob 29-Apr-11

A: So speaks the voice of someone obviously aquainted with the CCC. Quote:- "sell the complete vehicle for a sensible price to someone who will use it as its maker intended." This is not good publicity for the CCC. This is more akin to comments that I would have expected to have come from an Ayran Nazi rally. A belief that makes out his own use of a vehicle is 'superior' to mine. How is your vehicle use different to mine? This rhetoric does not go down too well. Did you know the maker? Apologies to those of you easy going "good" people of the CCC. There must be many of you reasonable people out there, battling away doing a grand job of keeping cars going. But I have to point out this. Not that I am special in anyway at all. I have lots of faults. But if there were more of you like myself, who buys a 21 year old car and keeps it going for another 12 years and it still looks like this.......there would be *many* more GS's around. What were you doing in the 90's when I bought this car? Polishing your then new Ford Orion? It now appears my "use" of my car is wrong to some. For your information my obviously "inferior use" of Citroens has involved driving from Europe to Asia, bringing back my DS from New Zealand to the UK, emitting flat four burbles all over South Africa, driving a 2CV around parts of the Arctic Circle in *winter*. I am not part of the Broederbond obviously. Sell the vehicle at a "sensible" price? This is an interesting concept. I believe in free markets. A car club member no doubt that undervalues the value of a car, which as a car club is seeking to apply value to. You get what you pay for. If more people put their money where there mouth is, there would be a lot more GS's left. I am not a charity subsidising GS's 4u! You know these are rare, yet this attitude is killing more. What incentive does a non CCC member like myself have for dealing with the CCC? Wrong school tie? If you had Free ads for non members..you would have seen this G. CCC Wake up!

Now don't get me wrong, I what someone does with they're own car rare or not is their choice nobody else's but here we have a chap trying to sell a car that is currently complete but the final sale will not included several crucial componants, who the fuck does that? either break it now and sell the bits or sell the whole car but not both. I've done my fair share of breaking fairly rare cars because nobody wanted them as a whole and they were worth more in parts but the point is they were sold as a whole or the parts listed and sold seperately.

I think he's gone over the top with his reply to the question he was asked, fucking hell if I needed an engine it would save alot of dicking about buying another engine and selling his GS as a whole, but then his car, his choice.

If he actually advertised the complete car at a sensible price then it would have sold by now. However he's decided to put a stupid fucking tag on it then goes all cry baby when it (unsurprisingly) doesn't sell.

I hope he gets the same sort of 'winning' bidders Bol's had to put up with and it costs him a mint in listing fees.