The grumpy thread

outlaw118

17 hours ago, grogee said:

Need to know if you used the Haynes 'drain and drop tank' method or cowboy 'ah fuck it, hole saw under rear seat' method. 

Hmmmm,now let me see,to drain,and remove/replace the tank in cold damp weather on the drive laying on my back getting my eyes and many other facial orifices full of mud,dirt and rust sounds like an extremely unpleasant way to spend an hour or so...

Rather that just a slightly unpleasant 10 minute task of carefully cutting an access hole into the pump and bypassing the previous paragraph. 

With only one grazed knuckle to show for it.

Hope this answers your question 😉😀

Update to the smoke-spewing brand-new boiler: the heating engineer fella is meant to be calling this morning to take a look (he was 'away' yesterday, apparently); he reckons it just needs some adjustment. I'm less convinced, but we'll see... 

Fortunately, we still have the ancient solid fuel fire fitted to the house from before the boiler went in - managed at least to keep the living room warm last night while the storm raged and screamed round the house, while the back boiler ensured plenty of hot water this morning.

1899044351_IMG_20211127_1041422.thumb.jpg.cde5b883520fb5dd317ee69c1922695c.jpg

Sometimes low-tech wins.

14 minutes ago, junkyarddog said:

Hmmmm,now let me see,to drain,and remove/replace the tank in cold damp weather on the drive laying on my back getting my eyes and many other facial orifices full of mud,dirt and rust sounds like an extremely unpleasant way to spend an hour or so...

Rather that just a slightly unpleasant 10 minute task of carefully cutting an access hole into the pump and bypassing the previous paragraph. 

With only one grazed knuckle to show for it.

Hope this answers your question 😉😀

In the end I got pretty good at dropping the tank on mine. But only because I had to do it three fucking times:

- Replace feed line to filter which I thought was leaking (it wasn't)

- Repair leaking tank with 'stop leak' putty and repaint

- Remove and replace old tank because the 'stop leak' didn't work

- Then replace the bastard filler hose with genuine Ford part because the old one had turned to jelly and no generic replacement available

I sympathize because it was exactly as you describe, although this was in the summer so much more agreeable conditions to be lying on the driveway. I did take the opportunity to replace the shitty Ford captive nuts with some stainless items.

Smart car broke down this morning on the M6 

No doubt a fight with smart coming up , the MHD engine uses a very tight belt , alternator & starter in one unit and the belt powers the water pump 

When it snaps you've got about a minute before it's cooked , design fault mercedes are supposed to fix for free according to evilution the smart forum , it was off in under 30s so hopefully it'll be ok 

So we'll find out on Monday what they say , it's only done 19,000 miles 

New pump bought and fitted.

20211127_151018.thumb.jpg.135fedc148ee3cb9b0018036a36a5518.jpg

Meat and Doria?

No?

Me neither. 

20211127_143746.thumb.jpg.feaeb2d40add27a3905e8c126b9802eb.jpg

Comes with the plug connector though!

All back together,and running again.

Although that wasn't without incident, the car was lowish on fuel,not low enough to have the idiot light on mind you,but driving it the car kept hesitating and couldn't take but the lightest of throttle without losing power and bogging down.

I nursed it to the local fuel station and added a thimble full of petrol ie €20.00 and normal service has been resumed.....hopefully🙄

20211127_150957.thumb.jpg.e4602f8e9bd7809cdde67f6d839b4254.jpg

X marks the spot😂

6 hours ago, Wack said:

Smart car broke down this morning on the M6 

No doubt a fight with smart coming up , the MHD engine uses a very tight belt , alternator & starter in one unit and the belt powers the water pump 

When it snaps you've got about a minute before it's cooked , design fault mercedes are supposed to fix for free according to evilution the smart forum , it was off in under 30s so hopefully it'll be ok 

So we'll find out on Monday what they say , it's only done 19,000 miles 

And the postman bought a nice surprise , a £30 fine for driving in a bus lane , all I need now is fucking carol singers 

No that's not me driving it. 

20211127_184916.jpg

It was  very slippery this morning coming home from work.

And you've always got the clever cunt behind you who thinks because they've got traction control they can defy physics.

Fuck you buddy.

I'm surprised that the dick head didn't try overtaking.

On 11/26/2021 at 7:03 PM, meggersdog said:

What a complete nightmare.

Just had some doddery old fart in for me to mot his LDV luton bodied van. Obviously the MoT test bay, keep clear sign on the roller door isn't fucking big enough for him to see and he parks right in the entrance. He comes in the office while I'm doing the paperwork for the car already in the test bay. When I ask him not to park there he replies "why ?". Hmm, can you see that bright orange Land Rover in the workshop ? well this is the paperwork and that is the owner you are blocking in. Bit of a grumble but then goes outside.

Next thing there is a thunderous crash.This cretinous moron has driven his box van forward ramming my roller shutter door. Didn't think to check his van could fit under. I came out of the office thinking he'd driven into the freshly painted Land Rover until I saw the carnage. When I asked him what the fuck was he doing he said " thought I'd drive forward " Anyone with half a brain could see the door was only half up now it's a twisted mess. The runners and guides are broken, the rubber seal is just hanging off and the door is creased to buggery. He must have rammed it in temper , what an arsehole. Took me almost two hours to straighten the door enough to close it and this fucking cretin has the audacity to say " I'll ring next week to rebook my MoT " I just told him to fuck off. 

I swear people's brains are shrinking.

1 hour ago, NorthernMonkey said:

Two days ago, having got fed up of tripping over my TD5 Defender in the workshop awaiting a new windscreen rubber and tidy up of the front screen surround, I made a start and cut the screen out.

48hrs later, FFS…

B5F48C10-6426-4D8C-BCF8-66860851597D.jpeg

Literally 5 days after I take the prop shaft off my t25 because the VC was a bit tight. FFS!

On 11/26/2021 at 7:03 PM, meggersdog said:

What a complete nightmare.

Just had some doddery old fart in for me to mot his LDV luton bodied van. Obviously the MoT test bay, keep clear sign on the roller door isn't fucking big enough for him to see and he parks right in the entrance. He comes in the office while I'm doing the paperwork for the car already in the test bay. When I ask him not to park there he replies "why ?". Hmm, can you see that bright orange Land Rover in the workshop ? well this is the paperwork and that is the owner you are blocking in. Bit of a grumble but then goes outside.

Next thing there is a thunderous crash.This cretinous moron has driven his box van forward ramming my roller shutter door. Didn't think to check his van could fit under. I came out of the office thinking he'd driven into the freshly painted Land Rover until I saw the carnage. When I asked him what the fuck was he doing he said " thought I'd drive forward " Anyone with half a brain could see the door was only half up now it's a twisted mess. The runners and guides are broken, the rubber seal is just hanging off and the door is creased to buggery. He must have rammed it in temper , what an arsehole. Took me almost two hours to straighten the door enough to close it and this fucking cretin has the audacity to say " I'll ring next week to rebook my MoT " I just told him to fuck off. 

That definitely needs the twat being charged for a new door.

It’s always good when the salesman sells a machine to a customer that is not suitable for a task it was never designed to do and then I get sent in to “just do your best with it” so hopefully it’ll be ok.

it’s ok Goosey they also have your mobile number so the can contact you anytime, anyplace, anywhere, forever and ever amen 

11 hours ago, Rab said:

TSB closing the Ft William branch....man...i like banks..when there supposed to be helpful...

My local one is closing too. I use it for convenience. Have done all my life. A lot of elderly people in the area etc though actually need it. Looks like they'll need to drag themselves into town to do anything in person. Not ideal.

I know you can do stuff via post offices now, but anyone who thinks that's a solution clearly hasn't been in a post office in the past 10 years..... It's a battle to even send a parcel nowadays without standing in a 45 minute queue. In fact the one nearest my branch (and probably a reason they decided to shut this TSB) can't handle their current customer base!, it will often take 3 or 4 visits to even find a queue short enough to think there's a chance you'll be out within the hour.... Now they're going to be the defacto bank of the area? aye fucking right 😂

It's the ones like Ft William, Forfar etc that are the really stupid ones to shut 'Ah but you're only a 20 minute drive away from another', great. What about peoples grandparents that don't drive in places like this?

That can quickly become a 2hr round trip, easy, Just to go to the bank.