The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Eufy doorbell. Easy to install they say. Like hell.

Connecting to the Bluetooth and using the bells QR code for setting it up on the phone. That does not go well. Reading the forums it has been like that for around 2 years. Nothing has been done to fix it. I could add the number in manually, however, the spaces for this in the app are less than the number printed. Cannot ascertain which part of number to input.

Sometimes I manage to get as far as for the bell to connect to the WIFI then the app freezes.

Customer services via the app and email are good as rust proofing on a 1960's car.

Was walking back from a meal out when I hear the sound of a vehicle with a flat tyre behind me.

It passes by and pulls up about 50m ahead, left rear as flat as a supermodel. As I walk past, I spot the big Uber sticker and realise that the idiot at the wheel was there to pick up his fare.

I mean Uber have some low standards, but that is taking the piss.

29 minutes ago, Sloth in a bowl said:

Was walking back from a meal out when I hear the sound of a vehicle with a flat tyre behind me.

It passes by and pulls up about 50m ahead, left rear as flat as a supermodel. As I walk past, I spot the big Uber sticker and realise that the idiot at the wheel was there to pick up his fare.

Was that a real Uber driver, or someone just filling in for the real Uber driver?

53 minutes ago, Sigmund Fraud said:

Had to buy petrol at £1.62/litre today... If things continue this way, it will soon be cheaper to fill up with Dom Perignon !!!

1 year ago petrol was 119p /l

A multipack of 3x bottles of Dom Perignon (I avoided the lady gaga special edition as you can't get petrol in that flavour) is £1000 for 2.25l, so £444.44 per litre.

Petrol increased 43p per litre in a year, so at this rate it would take just over 1029 years til the plonk would be cheaper, but that's not taking into account any increase in the price of plonk.

assuming a 4% YOY plonk appreciation, in 1000 years it would cost over three million quid for the champagne, so the petrol would still end up cheaper.

I am not a financial advisor and this is not financial or investment advice.

On 11/24/2021 at 5:49 PM, clayts450 said:

On parking disputes, it can escalate quite quickly - be careful out there:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10233485/Pictured-teacher-34-garden-centre-worker-wife-33-killed-home.html

Nice of the Mail to blur out the house numbers, but to include enough pictures and information to easily find the addresses of the victims and the suspect. 

19 minutes ago, cobblers said:

A multipack of 3x bottles of Dom Perignon (I avoided the lady gaga special edition as you can't get petrol in that flavour) is £1000 for 2.25l, so £444.44 per litre.

Petrol increased 43p per litre in a year, so at this rate it would take just over 1029 years til the plonk would be cheaper, but that's not taking into account any increase in the price of plonk.

assuming a 4% YOY plonk appreciation, in 1000 years it would cost over three million quid for the champagne, so the petrol would still end up cheaper.

Though Lanson Black label ( a nice, crispy, semi-sec) can be had for £20 - £25 if you time it right.

14 minutes ago, cobblers said:

Come to think of it, I do have some Dom Pérignon on the shelf. Forgot it was there. Probably been sitting there so long that it no longer meets quality* standards and is no longer drinkable.

I don't seem to be proficient at this long-term champagne storage thing.

Just now, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Come to think of it, I do have some Dom Pérignon on the shelf. Forgot it was there. Probably been sitting there so long that it no longer meets quality* standards and is no longer drinkable.

I don't seem to be proficient at this long-term champagne storage thing.

It might be OK to use with a fuel stabiliser such as STA-BIL

18 hours ago, goosey said:

Finished at 11, then an hour and a half of questions from people trying to be clever.

I think I dozed off twice 

When I used to work for a company who did courses and seminars I got really pissed off with the wankers who asked Questions & tried to prove a (usually irrelevant) point. I actually walked out of one when a guy called Richard was arguing the toss about using another company to do the transport for our company. He said we could save over £1m a year, but he didn’t have any plans for what if’s. Like what if the drivers are waiting at depots for over 1 hour to make deliveries, it happens frequently but his degree course didn’t include an unreasonable amount of time waiting for a pissed off warehouse man to unload his vehicle.

12 hours ago, Sloth in a bowl said:

The number of cars I see driving around with completely flat tyres is astonishing.

Is it bad I don't bother flagging them down, but instead just put distance between then and me? If they're the sort of idiot who wouldn't notice, they're probably the sort of idiot who would get all confrontational. Also, anybody trying to flag anybody down when in the context of cars is always* road rage, as we all know.

12 hours ago, Sigmund Fraud said:

Had to buy petrol at £1.62/litre today... If things continue this way, it will soon be cheaper to fill up with Dom Perignon !!!

£1.41 at Sainsburys Washington.

Looked to be a huge queue there and some construction work going on but many passed straight through - no diesel.

Finally got our old oil boiler replaced last week, after thirty-one years' service (found an installation tag on it from September 1990).

1080502890_IMG_20211118_0922412.thumb.jpg.d316a3f1296ce59e6c5159508d89f669.jpg

It was still working fine, but following its annual service in September we were made aware of worsening corrosion around the main boiler case (it lives outside, in a brick boilerhouse round the side). It was always pretty heavy on the kero, so MrsDC advocated that I change the habits of a lifetime and we replace it before it actually went bang, to avoid being stuck in the freezing cold. So we shelled out many pounds on a new energy-efficient A-rated condensing boiler.

1622865231_IMG_20211126_1113112.thumb.jpg.09fe26f59a7aed0d04ba5341e79574d3.jpg

This morning I'm aware that it seems a bit chilly in the house, and on touching the radiators, they're barely tepid.

Then the next-door neighbour comes banging the door, claiming that we're gassing them. Right enough, round the side of the house there's a powerful smell of fumes, and rather than white condensation coming out of the vent, there's what looks like thick grey smoke. So I shut it all down.

I can't get through to the heating engineer, and there's snow forecast for later today.

Fucksticks.

56 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

The number of cars I see driving around with completely flat tyres is astonishing.

Is it bad I don't bother flagging them down, but instead just put distance between then and me? If they're the sort of idiot who wouldn't notice, they're probably the sort of idiot who would get all confrontational. Also, anybody trying to flag anybody down when in the context of cars is always* road rage, as we all know.

I had a panicked call from Mrs TW last week. 

Mrs "I've got a puncture" 

Me, "is it flat, flat or just a bit low?" 

Mrs, "there is smoke coming off it" 

FFS. 

1 hour ago, Timewaster said:

I had a panicked call from Mrs TW last week. 

Mrs "I've got a puncture" 

Me, "is it flat, flat or just a bit low?" 

Mrs, "there is smoke coming off it" 

FFS. 

Do we share a wife? mine said "there's a noise coming from my car". rear tyre totally destroyed, off the rim in the inside flapping about clouting the inner arch.

Fucksticks!!

The normally oh so reliable 99 Ford focus has had a FTP,or really a fail to start as it was fine when parked,but refused to start yesterday for a run to the recycling center. 

A quick check revealed no fuel arriving at the engine.

So knackered fuel pump then.

The trouble with the Focus is that you have to drain and drop the fuel tank to access the pump.

Or....cut hole in the floor...

Anyway , pump is out to reveal this...

20211126_134012.thumb.jpg.d0a69beb59b6e40dcc8a472e82ea68be.jpg

The connection has turned crispy and won't pull out of the pump,evidence of overheating too,which has caused the former I guess.

A new pump is cheap,but the connection may be a problem. 

These things are no longer in breakers now,and even then may be no better.

We shall see.

2 hours ago, junkyarddog said:

Fucksticks!!

The normally oh so reliable 99 Ford focus has had a FTP,or really a fail to start as it was fine when parked,but refused to start yesterday for a run to the recycling center. 

A quick check revealed no fuel arriving at the engine.

So knackered fuel pump then.

The trouble with the Focus is that you have to drain and drop the fuel tank to access the pump.

Or....cut hole in the floor...

Anyway , pump is out to reveal this...

A new pump is cheap,but the connection may be a problem. 

These things are no longer in breakers now,and even then may be no better.

If you can get better photos of what's left and of the new pump, there's a Facebook group called "automotive connector identification" that'll be able to help you work out what the connector is, they're usually fairly readily available 

1 hour ago, cobblers said:

If you can get better photos of what's left and of the new pump, there's a Facebook group called "automotive connector identification" that'll be able to help you work out what the connector is, they're usually fairly readily available 

Thanks,the pump is actually ok.

I've soldered new wires directly onto it,and tested them.

Will fit it in the morning. 

5 minutes ago, junkyarddog said:

Thanks,the pump is actually ok.

I've soldered new wires directly onto it,and tested them.

Will fit it in the morning. 

Need to know if you used the Haynes 'drain and drop tank' method or cowboy 'ah fuck it, hole saw under rear seat' method. 

FWIW I found loads of Ford pumps on the Bay when I was looking for my Puma. Different pump/sender assembly, sure, but the motor itself might be the same. 

What a complete nightmare.

Just had some doddery old fart in for me to mot his LDV luton bodied van. Obviously the MoT test bay, keep clear sign on the roller door isn't fucking big enough for him to see and he parks right in the entrance. He comes in the office while I'm doing the paperwork for the car already in the test bay. When I ask him not to park there he replies "why ?". Hmm, can you see that bright orange Land Rover in the workshop ? well this is the paperwork and that is the owner you are blocking in. Bit of a grumble but then goes outside.

Next thing there is a thunderous crash.This cretinous moron has driven his box van forward ramming my roller shutter door. Didn't think to check his van could fit under. I came out of the office thinking he'd driven into the freshly painted Land Rover until I saw the carnage. When I asked him what the fuck was he doing he said " thought I'd drive forward " Anyone with half a brain could see the door was only half up now it's a twisted mess. The runners and guides are broken, the rubber seal is just hanging off and the door is creased to buggery. He must have rammed it in temper , what an arsehole. Took me almost two hours to straighten the door enough to close it and this fucking cretin has the audacity to say " I'll ring next week to rebook my MoT " I just told him to fuck off.