The grumpy thread

outlaw118

1 hour ago, cobblers said:

I was driving the camper home from work from Chesterfield towards Baslow. Behind me was a BMW, pushing me along at 35 in a 30 limit. When the road opened up to two lanes up the hill and a 60 limit, he nearly clipped me, so eager he was to pass! Then proceeded to do 50MPH, brake way more than required for corners and generally dawdle along on the unfamiliar dark roads. He was seriously holding me up,

Last bellend who did this to me (forced their way past while I was in a 30, then couldn't achieve more than 45 in a national) got solid full-beams and horn for about 20 seconds (which feels like absolutely bloody ages) as I was completely pig-sick of tossers like him.  He hadn't a clue what to do, so the instant the road allowed me to do, I went past and completely lost him.  I have a feeling he was boiling over with rage in his little box of hate, but as I was 300yds ahead of him and losing him at about 20mph, I could not have given less of a shit.

2 hours ago, jamescarruthers said:

The funniest response I heard to such people thinking that that own the street outside their house is to point that it’s not your fault and if they’d done better at life, they’d have a driveway. 

(no offence to those without a driveway, but it’s a fun way to wind up these entitled pricks)

Most of the houses have and/or garages...hence why there's virtually noone parked on street there and it was possible for me to displace a car during driveway Tetris (I have to move two cars out of the way to get out of the garage, and there are a total of three on street parking spaces on our road, near always occupied by staff from the nearby school) without bothering anyone.  Or so I thought!

2 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Most of the houses have and/or garages...hence why there's virtually noone parked on street there and it was possible for me to displace a car during driveway Tetris (I have to move two cars out of the way to get out of the garage, and there are a total of three on street parking spaces on our road, near always occupied by staff from the nearby school) without bothering anyone.  Or so I thought!

You definitely need the cheapest legal car parked up outside this twats house pronto. 

2 minutes ago, jamescarruthers said:

You definitely need the cheapest legal car parked up outside this twats house pronto. 

Nah, was thinking the van would work better.  Make sure I close the blinds first to ensure I block out as much daylight as possible...

Vindictive, me?  Surely not...

To be fair I'll just try to park on the opposite side of the crescent and try to steer clear of where I was today.  I can do without any more hassle than I already get.

10 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Nah, was thinking the van would work better.  Make sure I close the blinds first to ensure I block out as much daylight as possible...

Vindictive, me?  Surely not...

To be fair I'll just try to park on the opposite side of the crescent and try to steer clear of where I was today.  I can do without any more hassle than I already get.

True, no point in seeking trouble out. Would be satisfying though! 

On 10/27/2021 at 10:32 AM, sierraman said:

I know I’m a tightwad but isn’t £40 a bit expensive to reseal 2 tyres? The pressure is dropping a couple of Psi a week, literally wants the tyre taking off, rim cleaning up and refitting with plenty of paste. Can’t be more than half an hours work. This is at the local tyre under the arches type place so not one of these big outfits. 

My local indie wanted to charge me a fiver for doing one of my tyres. Gave him a ten-spot and told him to keep the change. I think he may be stuck in the 80s.

On 10/29/2021 at 6:08 PM, wuvvum said:

My local tyre place only has two people working there so the man on the front desk also wields the ugga dugga gun.  

They also tighten wheel bolts / nuts properly with a torque wrench, rather than doing them up to 3,750 lb/ft with the gun and then going "click" with the wrench.

This. I like it when they ask you what torque setting you want too.

3 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Aaaaand I've just had a torrent of abuse from someone on the next street over for occasionally parking a car there for a couple of hours.  Not in anyone's way, no parking restrictions and there's always a plethora of spaces available.  Isn't suburbia fun.

I used to get this a lot when I worked in town. People really do get very aggressive if you park on the street outside their house. The worse I got was a posh middle aged bloke having a screaming fit at me as I paused outside his cottage in an Essex village whilst deliberating about where to park. 

I never moan at people blocking my driveway or parking outside my house, I can hardly see them over my wild peas anyway.

4 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Aaaaand I've just had a torrent of abuse from someone on the next street over for occasionally parking a car there for a couple of hours.  Not in anyone's way, no parking restrictions and there's always a plethora of spaces available.  Isn't suburbia fun.

Don't worry, it will be gone before your visitors 'need' to park here

4 hours ago, Talbot said:

Last bellend who did this to me (forced their way past while I was in a 30, then couldn't achieve more than 45 in a national) got solid full-beams and horn for about 20 seconds (which feels like absolutely bloody ages) as I was completely pig-sick of tossers like him.  He hadn't a clue what to do, so the instant the road allowed me to do, I went past and completely lost him.  I have a feeling he was boiling over with rage in his little box of hate, but as I was 300yds ahead of him and losing him at about 20mph, I could not have given less of a shit.

Had something similar yesterday driving to work.  I was driving the Focus of Slow and some prickette came up behind me in a white Seat.  Proceeded to tailgate me for about 3 miles and I gradually got to the point where I was driving slower and slower and slower the closer they got.  Ended up at 30MPH and they overtook around a blind bend.

Leaned on the horn, flashed them and gave them the vs.

About a minute later, we come to a junction and I'm right behind them in the queue and give them a smile and a friendly wave.  Then followed them for the remaining 4 miles to Canterbury.  At no point did they get further than 50 yards in front of me the whole way because of the conditions and the other traffic.  Was incredibly satisfying to give them a wave when they finally turned the other way at the last junction.

6 hours ago, juular said:

I'm not sure they always realise they're doing it, genuinely I think some folk use sitting an inch off someone's bumper to regulate their own speed. Doesn't make them any less of a cunt.

I'm a considerate road user, and given I'm restricted to 50 on single carriageway roads I will always facilitate someone overtaking me, pulling as far left as I can on wider roads, slowing slightly to allow a simple overtake, even indicating left to hammer home the point, always checking the road ahead to ensure no junctions (TomTom very good at showing these - Google Maps not so hot). It is incredible just how many tailgaters fail to take this overtaking opportunity which is presented to them by my good self with a gold-plated cherry on top - they seem somehow  to bottle it, but usually get the hint and back off a bit - probably think I'm an unpredictable and possibly pissed driver.... Anyway, those that can overtake do, and usually reward me with a double hazard flash as a thank you, which leaves me feeling all warm and fuzzy. It's nice to be nice.

I ran out of screenwash the other day, or so I thought. Bought some from the petrol station at great expense, filled up the washer bottle and still nothing. That'll be the pump knackered then! Do I rob the one off of the parts car or buy a new one? I hope replacing the pump doesn't let all the screenwash out!

3 hours ago, clayts450 said:

On parking disputes, it can escalate quite quickly - be careful out there:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10233485/Pictured-teacher-34-garden-centre-worker-wife-33-killed-home.html

I was about to say the same. This story could go go any confrontation on the roads. You do not know who is in the other car. Thankfully  very violent confrontations  are not so common, yet.

What a bunch of Facebook shite!

Its a good little runner apparently, but it needs a new engine and they are only £300 on eBay.

B1FFBE2F-25C3-4473-BF9F-CA1DD1E241CF.jpeg

B38DA2B0-78C5-49D5-ACF5-E497AF155E1A.jpegEdit, and that 100,000 kms is actually 128000 miles at the last mot in February.

I know I’m a moaning grumpy cnut but fucking hell!!

Edited by carburettor
Moar moaning

Driving in NZ is pretty good but the locals love undertaking.  Also motorways are a newish thing on the South Island so again etiquette seems lacking.  

Merging off the slip onto the motorway?  Car on the inside lane doing same speed as you?  Will they slow down, speed up or move over?  Will they fuck.  Drives me mental.  

In less driving related news I am moving house tomorrow.  Appliances being delivered between 8am and 11am so need to be at the new house early.  Movers arrive at old house 1pm.  Would be fine as Mrs P was going to take care of that but has now decided her work (which she hates and is in her notice period for) needs an extra hand Friday morning so has chosen to use her moving day to go to work.  She doesn’t want to piss them off.  So no pressure then.

Also movers won’t move assembled beds apparently so I have to strip them right down.  Bloody bollocks

Moving house isn't an exactly stress free. I'd similar, waiting for a fridge to be delivered, paid for a delivery slot between 10-12 so I could do other things. Mattress from another company is on time but the Fridge is late. 

So I'm waiting in a empty house for a fridge. It didn't turn up until near 2. I was fuming as I'd a list as long as my arm to do and I wasted most the day waiting for a fridge. 

Hope everything goes to plan @Parky however. good luck

1 hour ago, motorpunk said:

Camera off

That's not in the spirit of things!  Record 5-10 minutes of yourself at the webcam and then play it on a loop as your video feed.  Makes everyone think you're still there.

Just as long as there's not a clock in the background, or the sun never moves from the same angle in the sky.  Or you keep taking a drink from the same coffee mug for 3hrs..  You just need a completely generic "resting bitch face" video of yourself.  no-one will ever know.

My grumble is my 2003 Clio, picked up as a cheap project for a banger rally next year. Every job is fighting me...

ABS rings - 1 of 2 ball joint bolts rounded as it was stuck, gotta cut off

Anti roll bar link - weird design needs compressing to fit on the Clio but can't seem to do it with my current tools and the new one is now deformed

Airbag light - new module didn't fix it, need to try another one as the fault is the module when you plug a reader in

Steering rack boot - tie rods seized so need to replace them to get the boot on

1 wheel bolt won't tighten on NSF, hoping a new bolt will do the trick otherwise it's a new used hub or bearing

Definitely didn't get a price from Car Take Back today* 😂