The grumpy thread

outlaw118

22 hours ago, mintwth said:

Part of the problem is modern headlights that auto-dip. They can be slow to dip and quick to go back to full but the worse problem is when people forget they're not in the car with auto-dip and go everywhere on full beam.

It just adds to the usual amount of delightful people who use full beam (and/or front fog lights) inconsiderately. 

Agreed, I used to have a company 120d sport with xenon auto dipping headlights. The auto sensing stuff just didn’t work quick enough, I would end up manually overriding it and in the end I turned the auto shit off. It was a PITA. 

8 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

We had some kids playing chicken in the road last summer.  About 15 of them and I'm guessing ages ranged from about 5 to about 14.  There were quite a few close calls as I could see it all from my office window.

After a couple of hours, four or five Police turned up, lined them all up at the side of the road and read them the riot act.  After about 5 minutes most of them slowly walked off (presumably home).  Then the older kids had the riot act read to them again for a further 15 minutes.  Probably got the telling off of their lives.

It's been nearly 18 months and I haven't seen anything like it since.  Evidently it worked!

Hmm hopefully it'll work with these little shits. They seem pretty relentless though as they are there every night and use the old 'we've nothing else to do' line. 

8 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Hmm hopefully it'll work with these little shits. They seem pretty relentless though as they are there every night and use the old 'we've nothing else to do' line. 

Maybe telling the old bill that they're jumping out in front of cars and playing chicken would help.  When there's a danger to life...

4 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Agreed, I used to have a company 120d sport with xenon auto dipping headlights. The auto sensing stuff just didn’t work quick enough, I would end up manually overriding it and in the end I turned the auto shit off. It was a PITA. 

The auto dip function works reasonably well in my Astra J. I've still turned it off. 

1 hour ago, cobblers said:

My wife's mate complained that her headlights were shit and really dim.

Turns out, they'd been turned off (usually automatic) since her MOT two months prior. She'd been commuting 40 minutes each way with no lights on in the dark every day and hadn't noticed the people flashing her etc.

Here's a Christmas gift idea for her:

Blonde Windows.jpg

2 hours ago, cobblers said:

My wife's mate complained that her headlights were shit and really dim.

Turns out, they'd been turned off (usually automatic) since her MOT two months prior. She'd been commuting 40 minutes each way with no lights on in the dark every day and hadn't noticed the people flashing her etc.

Snap, my mother in law brought her car over, having been stopped by the rozzers for driving through town at night with just her DRLs on. 'the headlight bulbs must have blown'

I went out to it, turned the headlight switch on and walked round to see which other lights were out. Except none of them were out, including the headlights, they all worked fine.

So I came back inside to ask which ones were blown, because I thought she'd said the headlights but they definitely worked...

She came out to look and was amazed. She asked what I'd done and I showed her the 'on' switch above the drivers right knee. 

'oh, I never knew that was there, I thought they came on automatically?'

Ummm no. Hand over your licence now, you have proven you are not trustworthy in charge of 1200kg of moving car.

It had been like this for months, following her last mot. Luckily she rarely drives far but still. FFS people

I got in my old Merc the other day and thought “ Why isn’t the dash lighting up and why is it so dark in my street”  My excuse is that I  swap from ‘97E Class  to ‘14 E Class  depending which one is easiest to get out. I haven’t managed to get further than my own street with no lights on, yet!

The worse auto-dip I’ve encountered is , inevitably , on modern Range Rovers . Unbelievably slow witted.

Ma in old person not listening to you mode tonight.

I've been going thru this bank statement, and the energy bill is EIGHTY POUNDS. And it's normally £55.

Yes, that was the month I put a reading in, as you've not bothered and it's been estimated since January. The next one will be £55 again.

But it's EIGHTY POUNDS! Look on the computer thing and make sure the next one isn't EIGHTY POUNDS!

It's not. It's £55.

So why is this one EIGHTY POUNDS?

'Cos you owe them a couple of quid each month from estimating for the best part of a year.

But it's EIGHTY POUNDS!

Argh!!!!

Why does Autotrader have a sort by 'relevance' as the default option in the dropdown?

You literally set the specific car make and model you want, what spectrum of 'relevance' is there is addition to that? I want a Lexus GS300 please, sorted by relevance?

"Please see this GS300 sir, its over 27% more Lexus GS-like than the next listing"

All the results are for Lexus GS300s, so its not like ebay where you search for a hammer and as you scroll through, you eventually end up finding results for toasters and all sorts of other shit. If it went on to similar cars then maybe, but really guys?

WTaF?

Christmas adverts have started. 

Obviously there's the Facebook dickheads declaring Christmas has started because they've seen a Coke advert, but there's more. 

I've just seen a John Lewis advert with an alien in it. Probably meant to illustrate something about the real meaning of Christmas, but tells you fuck all about the shop.

All it says to me is that they've got far to much money to spend on adverts, so their prices are probably high. 

I'm not even sure this is actually a grump now. 

I've seen that one (only once) and what fucks me off the most is that they've yet again used some really shitty cover of a popular song on it just like 99% of all other ads.  Chris de Burgh recorded a Christmas song about an alien visiting earth, why couldn't they have just used that?

2 hours ago, robinmasters said:

Obviously there's the Facebook dickheads declaring Christmas has started because they've seen a Coke advert, but there's more. 

The truck is touring the UK , they've upped the game this year , I think Nick Cage is driving 

The holidays are coming, the holidays are coming

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1296461174044660/permalink/1547469915610450/

2 hours ago, gm said:

three different christmas adverts using the work “baubles” as an expletive - for some reason this really, really annoys me :( 

Why must there even be expletives in a commercial, censored or otherwise?

What's the net gain? It just makes the advertising there look crass for no reason other than the attempted shock value.

Phil