The grumpy thread

outlaw118

10 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Does anyone know how the actual fucking fuck credit scores are calculated?  Is there a logical reason why one's score can go down when one's financial situation has continued to improve, or is it all done with witchcraft and alchemy like car insurance premiums?

I think that if you make a number of enquiries for credit, e.g. cards, it can negatively affect it. 

This may also be relevant but I suspect you're near the truth with the witchcraft comment:

https://www.myfico.com/credit-education/whats-in-your-credit-score

Since credit utilization makes up 30 percent of your credit score, it's a good idea to keep your available credit as high as possible—and your debts as low as possible. Running up high balances on your credit cards raises your credit utilization ratio and can lower your credit score.12 Oct 2020

1 hour ago, Talbot said:

Private fireworks need to be banned and bloody soon too.  Have found plenty of debris from fireworks in the garden, and the constant fucking noise at stupid hours of the day and night, way way WAAAY too close to other houses is beyond anti-social.

I still don't get why someone would spunk £60 for a "private" fireworks party in their back garden, when they could spend £10 and go to a properly organised event, with some actual healthandsafety, where you can actually see the fireworks, and there's about 20 times as much to see.

Plus, you won't be scaring the fuck out of all the local pets.

Next firework that goes off is getting rammed up the person-who-lit-it's arse.

Would be nice if the annual passtime of launching them off the overpasses at passing cars around here could disappear too.

If it hadn't been raining on Saturday evening I'd have wound up with one in the cab of the van on the way home.  It hit the driver's side window about 1" from the top - and about 95% of the time I have that window open a bit.

19 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Would be nice if the annual passtime of launching them off the overpasses at passing cars around here could disappear too.

Fucssssakes!!  I would have absolutely lost my shit at that.  Last time someone threw anything at my car it was a young-ish kid who lobbed a tennis ball at me.  I heaved on the anchors, ran back and gave him the roasting of a lifetime.  I think he actually pissed himself.  If he never throws anything at a car ever again, I'd call that a win.  I was absolutely raging.

1 hour ago, Talbot said:

Private fireworks need to be banned and bloody soon too. 

Very strongly agree.

We have two small dogs that spend around 6 hours shaking violently every night around this time of year due to the noise of rockets and bangers going off right next to our house.  

We took a drive up into the hills to try and calm them down, but pretty much every layby up there was full of cretins letting them off into the pissing rain and mist. What's the point?

There was one guy driving about in a honda jazz letting them off randomly out of his car window.

Going by the damage to health and property, the strain on the fire and police service and the attacks on said services every year, there's not much excuse for allowing it to keep going.

You could impose allowable hours and/ or ban them completely but they'd still be able to obtain them through other means. And even if they couldn't, they'd still set shit on fire and attack the fire crews who come out to sort it.

I don't see much issue with fireworks being let off in an open field with nothing (including livestock) around you. A bit like what Colin Furze does.

Someone let off a giant firework that exploded really low in the sky. It sounded like a Calor gas bottle had exploded, as a few around us use it for heating. Our cat wouldn't come in for 5 hours afterwards.

12 hours ago, Spurious said:

Just doing my timesheets for last month. 

201 hours. That's like working 5 normal work weeks in 4.  Fuck the NHS. I'm very tired. I usually keep on top of this sort of thing, didn't realise it was this far gone really. I'll be having words, I'm owed lots of time in lieu at this point. No wonder staff are leaving. 

Be very careful with this.  It is a stressful enough job to start with and largely unappreciated until someone has a medical problem.

My daughter found herself working fourteen hours a day, seven days a week.  She was owed months of time in lost holidays.

Lots of her work was done during the night when she should have been sleeping.

She has made several suicide attempts and has been sectioned, is in a nearby mental hospital.  I saw her yesterday and fear that the treatment may be worse that the problem.  She has gone from a bright and capable young woman to a lost little girl.

Overwork is rarely appreciated.

Also, driving down Team Valley this morning, behind a giant Mercedes.  Passenger door opens and what looked like a can of pop is hurled out.  The car did stop with hazards on.

More also:  dogshit!  It seems to be all over the place recently, and three lots deposited outside my house.  Bashing on the window and yelling at them didn't motivate them to pick it up.  I feel a bit of extraordinary postal service may be required.

it was a  surprise to have a dog this year that was ok with the fireworks , he was not bothered one bit , in fact he got quite upset at being inside whilst we were outside that he had to be brought out ( on his lead ) before he did himself some damage .  

the last dog would of been  shaking and wetting himself in his corner but if he was taken out for a walk were he could watch them he could  be ok ????  !!  , if he was not , I got towed home ...

and off to work soon for another week of nonsense , if that cook has not done the supplies right today I might be home by 3pm ....  I will be quoting stress on the sicknote !

14 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Does anyone know how the actual fucking fuck credit scores are calculated?  Is there a logical reason why one's score can go down when one's financial situation has continued to improve,

Yes.  You've probably not had any credit recently, so any information about your creditwortyness, relating to maintaining payments etc. is now getting out of date.  The best credit scores are achieved by people who have current credit and pay it off on time.  I have heard of people who have never had any credit before in their life being turned down for things like credit cards and mortgages, as there's absolutely no available data for whether they can make repayments or not.

2 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Yes.  You've probably not had any credit recently, so any information about your creditwortyness, relating to maintaining payments etc. is now getting out of date.  The best credit scores are achieved by people who have current credit and pay it off on time.  I have heard of people who have never had any credit before in their life being turned down for things like credit cards and mortgages, as there's absolutely no available data for whether they can make repayments or not.

How does that work if, for example, you use a credit card to buy online (for the protection) but have a direct debit to clear it every month? Is that an example of actual debt being paid off in their eyes?

Just now, juular said:

How does that work if, for example, you use a credit card to buy online but have a direct debit to clear it every month? Is that actual debt?

That would indeed show up as "an good thing" on a credit report.  You've bought stuff on credit, and are paying it off reliably.  Same is true of store cards.  Even if the full balance is cleared every month, it counts as having bought something on credit and you could reliably pay it off.

Story that my old boss used to tell (and I have zero reason to disbelieve him) is that he had bought his first house for cash (he was fairly well-off and had saved...) and had never had to have anything on credit ever.. he had no credit card, no need for one.  Went to get a mortgage on his next house as he and his wife wanted something bigger.  He had a fairly decent deposit (something like 50% IIRC) with the sale of his first home, but with no credit history was denied the mortgage, despite it being easily affordable.

So he went down to Dixons and bought a radio for £20 on credit.  Made the first two payments of £1 each week exactly on time.  Now he has a credit record (and a really good one) so he is able to get his £100k (or whatever it was) mortgage.  As soon as the mortgage was approved he paid off the other £19 on the radio and then gave it away as a gift.

So absurdly ridiculous, it's clearly true.

6 minutes ago, Talbot said:

That would indeed show up as "an good thing" on a credit report.  You've bought stuff on credit, and are paying it off reliably.  Same is true of store cards.  Even if the full balance is cleared every month, it counts as having bought something on credit and you could reliably pay it off.

Story that my old boss used to tell (and I have zero reason to disbelieve him) is that he had bought his first house for cash (he was fairly well-off and had saved...) and had never had to have anything on credit ever.. he had no credit card, no need for one.  Went to get a mortgage on his next house as he and his wife wanted something bigger.  He had a fairly decent deposit (something like 50% IIRC) with the sale of his first home, but with no credit history was denied the mortgage, despite it being easily affordable.

So he went down to Dixons and bought a radio for £20 on credit.  Made the first two payments of £1 each week exactly on time.  Now he has a credit record (and a really good one) so he is able to get his £100k (or whatever it was) mortgage.  As soon as the mortgage was approved he paid off the other £19 on the radio and then gave it away as a gift.

So absurdly ridiculous, it's clearly true.

Interesting. So in effect there are ways of increasing your score that won't cost much in the way of money or effort, providing you afford to put money on a credit card and payn it off frequently.

Doing your weekly shopping online for example, paying by credit card then clearing the balance.

2 minutes ago, juular said:

Doing your weekly shopping online for example, paying by credit card then clearing the balance.

Yep, another good way is to take out a SIM contract or something of the like and put that on credit. It's inexpensive and affordable to pay off in good time.

Also worth noting that if you ever take on a joint debt such as a mortgage, your credit files become linked. If you shack up with someone that takes on a habit of piling up overdue card bills, that will bring your score down.   

Normally the files would be automatically separated when you split up and sell up, but I've known that not to happen on occasion so an ex can be dragging your score right down years after the debt no longer exists.

It's worth checking if the above applies and the score is lower than you think it should be. It can easily be sorted.

3 hours ago, Talbot said:

Fucssssakes!!  I would have absolutely lost my shit at that.  Last time someone threw anything at my car it was a young-ish kid who lobbed a tennis ball at me.  I heaved on the anchors, ran back and gave him the roasting of a lifetime.  I think he actually pissed himself.  If he never throws anything at a car ever again, I'd call that a win.  I was absolutely raging.

It happens here every year.  The footpaths are totally remote to the roads so they can hide (and vanish) basically instantly. 

The distributor roads are all 70mph dual carriageway with nowhere to stop too, so they know they can get away with it.

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

It happens here every year.  The footpaths are totally remote to the roads so they can hide (and vanish) basically instantly. 

The distributor roads are all 70mph dual carriageway with nowhere to stop too, so they know they can get away with it.

I'd be pestering the living daylights out of the local police and harrassing my MP like there's no tomorrow to do something about that.  Statements like "why are you waiting for a death to occur before doing anything" often makes people wake up.

5 hours ago, Talbot said:

I have a friend who had this issue.

She was very proud of always paying cash for everything, never had a credit card as it wasn't wanted.

Got turned down on a mortgage as she literally had no credit history.

Her bank got her sorted and advised her to just pay it off the balance every month.

She only used it to pay for the car fuel...

8 hours ago, myglaren said:

Be very careful with this.  It is a stressful enough job to start with and largely unappreciated until someone has a medical problem.

My daughter found herself working fourteen hours a day, seven days a week.  She was owed months of time in lost holidays.

Lots of her work was done during the night when she should have been sleeping.She has made several suicide attempts and has been sectioned, is in a nearby mental hospital.  I saw her yesterday and fear that the treatment may be worse that the problem.  She has gone from a bright and capable young woman t

o a lost little girl.

Overwork is rarely appreciated.

Yes, clever advise, I'm usually in the office if my hours drift over.  It was just a lot of 12hr shifts last month and the hours stack up easily if you're not keeping an eye on them.  It does have a toll, and I've to be conscious of that. Thanks for the kind words @High Jetter too

I can't say I'm very  familiar with the acute psych side of hospital, but I know how difficult it is to get sectioned these days and get an acute bed.  I do hope she comes out the other side felling more her old self. It's a tough process but at least she'll be getting some form of help despite she may not feel like that right now.

Mind has some decent information for families, but beyond that, it's something I am not familiar with.

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/your-stories/how-to-help-someone-whos-been-sectioned/

More benefits shenanigins.....

Today I tried to phone up about my ESA claim.  Found a number online for Barrow Jobcentre.  Number no longer in use.  OK... Phoned the 0800 number on the letter I had to hand; took me through a bunch of recordings, then finally told me to use the website, click.  Fucking marvellous.  So I assembled my paperwork and drove down to the JC to see if I could see someone in person.  Lo and behold, I did!

It looks like my ESA claim is dead in the water.  Following the nice lady's advice, I've opened a claim for Universal Credit instead, which is, contrary to her opinion, a right faff.  It's anybody's guess when, what or even if I'll get anything.  What did I work for for four decades?

2 hours ago, Talbot said:

I'd be pestering the living daylights out of the local police and harrassing my MP like there's no tomorrow to do something about that.  Statements like "why are you waiting for a death to occur before doing anything" often makes people wake up.

For about the first five years I did.  This and a laundry list of similarly serious issues long enough I've lost count.

Seven years in and I've just given up to be honest.  Neither the Council nor MPs have ever even responded beyond the automated "your message has been received" email.

We hope to be moving in the next year or two and frankly will be glad to leave this nonsense behind us.

On 02/11/2021 at 13:09, artdjones said:

Because it often is designed by the mentally immature? Just be glad it's called Android 12 and not Android Butterscotch Fudge Sundae or some other stupid dessert name like the early editions were.

you mean like Snow cone?

Android Pie   9        
Android 10 Quince Tart 10        
Android 11 Red Velvet Cake 11        
Android 12 Snow Cone 12

On 08/11/2021 at 14:04, juular said:

Interesting. So in effect there are ways of increasing your score that won't cost much in the way of money or effort, providing you afford to put money on a credit card and payn it off frequently.

There are credit cards that give you cash back, or nectar points or Clubcard points, or air miles. So put your monthly spend into a side account getting interest. And pay for petrol, food and everything you used to pay with cash or debit card, on the credit card. Then when you get the bill, just after pay day, pay it off in full. 

If the shit hits the fan, the money to pay it off is in a side account anyway earning  0.000001% interest, and you are back where you started.