The grumpy thread

outlaw118

12 hours ago, Spiny Norman said:

My phone just upgraded* to Android 12. ☹️
Holy shit, why does everything to do with technology these days have to look like it was designed by/for children?

Because it often is designed by the mentally immature? Just be glad it's called Android 12 and not Android Butterscotch Fudge Sundae or some other stupid dessert name like the early editions were.

12 hours ago, Spiny Norman said:

My phone just upgraded* to Android 12. ☹️
Holy shit, why does everything to do with technology these days have to look like it was designed by/for children?

It could be worse. The machine I run regularly at work, millions of pounds worth. Has screens where the keyboard is laid out in alphabetical order. What fucking monster does that?

I've grown up to be 41 years of age using QWERTY keyboards, I often stand there staring at it blankly trying to enter information on it. It makes me look like my Dad trying use a PC.

3 hours ago, iainrcz said:

We've just had a letter from our home insurance company saying they're withdrawing the current flood cover and re adding another one, and have taken an extra £200 off us. 

Apparently we live in a flood risk area, but don't live near any fucking water!?

I feel a phone call coming on.

https://www.floodre.co.uk/

Something you probably won't have heard about.

Apparently I am now not allowed to park on my own driveway.

Presumably it's a consequence of having chav neighbours who take offence at the fact that I can actually be arsed to go out and work.  We have to squeeze three cars onto our drive, so I park right up against theirs and I have to walk onto their drive so I can, yknow, get out of my car. They responded by putting a line of plant tubs along the edge of their drive to stop me doing so, then had a go at me when I moved one of them so I could open my door and get out.

I have now reversed it on, and I hope they saw me flick the bird at them when I got out.  If they have another go at me for anything, I will park it across their drive.

1 hour ago, iainrcz said:

It could be worse. The machine I run regularly at work, millions of pounds worth. Has screens where the keyboard is laid out in alphabetical order. What fucking monster does that?

I've grown up to be 41 years of age using QWERTY keyboards, I often stand there staring at it blankly trying to enter information on it. It makes me look like my Dad trying use a PC.

The car park machines in town do that, and you have to use one even for a few hour ticket

Makes my head hurt every time, luckily I've had the Xsara for so long I'm developing muscle memory for its plate in abc order

1 hour ago, beko1987 said:

The car park machines in town do that, and you have to use one even for a few hour ticket

Makes my head hurt every time, luckily I've had the Xsara for so long I'm developing muscle memory for its plate in abc order

I make the mistake of sending the Mrs for tickets.

Every time she comes back "what's the number plate?"

I've only had it 3 years...

I have just spent an entire afternoon trying to get hold of a Calor gas cylinder.

Unsuccessfully.

The only place I've found that actually has any is B&Q.  Which is because they can't actually give you one at the moment due to "a technical problem" with their computer system.

That's now three months I've been trying to get one on and off.  Fine...nicked the bottle and reg off the barbecue again. 

I have a feeling a refillable tank and external hookup so I can just fill it at an LPG pump at a garage (not that they're exactly easy to find these days) may be in the future.

I am getting so utterly sick of stupid menial things being impossible to get hold of.

Also if one more person, especially someone working in retail, is outwardly, unquestionably rude to me today I may just spontaneously explode. 

6 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

I have just spent an entire afternoon trying to get hold of a Calor gas cylinder.

Unsuccessfully.

The only place I've found that actually has any is B&Q.  Which is because they can't actually give you one at the moment due to "a technical problem" with their computer system.

That's now three months I've been trying to get one on and off.  Fine...nicked the bottle and reg off the barbecue again. 

I have a feeling a refillable tank and external hookup so I can just fill it at an LPG pump at a garage (not that they're exactly easy to find these days) may be in the future.

I am getting so utterly sick of stupid menial things being impossible to get hold of.

Also if one more person, especially someone working in retail, is outwardly, unquestionably rude to me today I may just spontaneously explode. 

I haz some cyls, if you can collect.

58 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

I haz some cyls, if you can collect.

No worries, I've likely got enough to get me through, and I suspect finding one if I need in Aberdeenshire if I needed will be less of a pain in the ass than here.

Helpfully all of the gear I've got is rated for both butane or propane just with the supply pressure tweaked - and I've got regulators for both with me.

18 hours ago, iainrcz said:

I make the mistake of sending the Mrs for tickets.

Every time she comes back "what's the number plate?"

I've only had it 3 years...

I can never remember mine either - I take a photo with my phone so have it handy.

Only had the car 16 months though.

14 minutes ago, MikeR said:

That's all the equipment safely tested at work over the hol break .....

1635791410048.jpg.9a13d8e715a1a8dac64c0e907ebac194.jpg

!!!!!!!!!

My college used to use that testing company up until last year. I'm wondering if this happened after it was tested- even if the wires inside were in-tact it'd still fail visual inspection.

3 hours ago, Fumbler said:

My college used to use that testing company up until last year. I'm wondering if this happened after it was tested- even if the wires inside were in-tact it'd still fail visual inspection.

been like that before the test , but as I am not employed as a electrical expert my opinion counts for nowt ....  I cant even touch a broken light bulb !!!!

7 minutes ago, MikeR said:

been like that before the test , but as I am not employed as a electrical expert my opinion counts for nowt ....  I cant even touch a broken light bulb !!!!

That's pretty shite, it should have failed before the tester even probed it up.

I've been battling carburetors on the Audi for a few months now. And got the last carburetor yesterday and even though I have paid VAT on it when I bought it, I had to do it again when I picked it up at the post office, I do not know why and I do not have the strength to do anything about it then I have enough problems but then I am now completely broke so that's great. So today I had to move over the parts I needed from this carburetor over to my old one and it does not work as the carburetors, even though they are the same, are cast differently. So do not know what to do now and am so pissed off and tired of all this that I am about to give up the car.

On 11/3/2021 at 11:01 AM, eddyramrod said:

Letter written this morning and ready to send.  My head's spinning now from maintaining that level of concentration!

How many trees have to die just so I can get some sort of income???

I did that ^ and posted it; then in yesterday's post I got a form for ESA asking about "Fitness to Work" (zero, in my case!).  So I posted that back this morning and this afternoon got not one but two letters about ESA.  One seems to be a form about "Commitment to work" or some such, pre-filled-in; I suspect it's to do with the telephone meeting I had last week.  The other... is a letter turning down my claim!  FFS, what?  "No, Mr Rafter, we expect you to die!"  It certainly seems I'm not supposed to live, as living requires funds.  Well this is No Time To Die.  I've emailed asking for an explanation at the very least; naturally nothing has been forthcoming yet.  Could they at least have waited until they received the form I posted this morning?  Apparently not!

FFS.....

Holy shit a little kid on his bike fucking shot out onto the road by school earlier without looking... 

Myself and I think someone else saw it as he shot across the road, certainly someone else shouted as I did, poor crv driver coming up the road stood on his nose and missed the kid by an inch

Luckily my kids saw it and it turned into a nice bike safety practical lesson but fuck me, could see the horror in the crv drivers face as the kid shot out, I felt his thoughts 🤣

Then a woman behind us gave the kid a bollocking, I think he'd realised how close he was. 

Reminds me of when I shot out in front of a parked bus on the bus stand by school at a fair hoof and smashed straight through the side doors of another bus who came from behind the first. Still got a dead patch of no feeling on the inside side of my right knee from that... Hope the kid learnt the same lesson I did that day

A girl of 10 or so ran out in front of my first Cadillac, almost exactly 20 years ago.  Fortunately I wasn't going very fast, and I saw her in time to stand on the brakes, but I still hit her.  Bloody hell she was lucky.  Bring back the Green Cross Code!  Or even Tufty!

HHHHHNNNNNGGGGGG

After coughing up £morethanenough to get the electronic ignition switch sorted on the CLK - which to be fair, has worked perfectly ever since so at least it was the thing that was needed - I wanted to get the driving sorted out.

A couple of weeks ago saw me changing the track rod ends as there was a fair bit of play - it was whilst doing that job I realised that the inner ones were also shagged. On the CLK it's a full drag-link with integrated tie rods - managed to find a QH branded setup for sub £70, which worked out well for me, and changed it the following week. It came with outer rod ends as well, but no bother - just kept the new ones from the previous weeks as spares. It wasn't the nicest job in the world, especially trying to undo the nut on the balljoint that connects the link to the steering arm at a rate of one ratchet click per turn thanks to virtually no access, but it went well enough.

Got it all tracked up, driving beautifully - nice, precise steering. Dead pleased.

Cut to two nights ago, leaving a local go-karting place after a bloody great time. Somehow, I managed to misjudge pulling out into the road and ended up hitting the kerb opposite whilst on half lock with the near-side front wheel. Hard.

HHHHHHHHNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG

Ripped off the lower front bumper, severing all fog light connections in the process, snapped off the undertray fixings, snapped off some of the other bits of plastic aero-stuff underneath, shredded the wheel arch liner on the opposite side front wheel and, worst of all, made the steering feel like it's skipping when on full and near-full lock.

If I'm lucky, I might have gotten away with only mangling a couple of balljoints - the car actually doesn't pull/shake/wobble when driving straight - but I've no idea just how many other things I may have bent.

I cannot believe how stupid I feel for having hit the kerb in the first place, nor how irritated I am at what a dick it is going to be to sort it all out. 

Fucking cars.