The grumpy thread

outlaw118

On 10/25/2021 at 9:08 PM, Fumbler said:

The gritter has just gone past. Perhaps the gritter hasn't gone past as there's no salt on the road. Crisis averted.

On 10/25/2021 at 10:25 PM, sheffcortinacentre said:

Was one driving round my estate last week ( not actually gritting) god knows what that's about????

index.thumb.jpg.b0a59ec0402d41e07638c99ec7857ee1.jpg

Funny how things hit you more some days than others.

Stumbled across a couple of tracks in my audio library.  My automatic line of thought goes along the line of "I'll need to play that next time I'm out with my folks, think they'd like that..."

Not likely given Mum passed away in 2014 and Dad barely a year later. 

Dad going never really hit me to be honest...in a lot of ways he already had back in 1994, he came out of hospital after the brain haemorrhage a completely different person to who went in.  We never really was eye to eye after that, especially as I tended to not take his nonsense and would just tell him when he was being daft and self destructive. 

Mum though, seven years on my brain hasn't even vaguely figured out how to reconcile that she's gone.  Fact that it happened very suddenly was a part there, and that I was the only one of the friends or relations I'm aware of who never really had a chance to sit down and talk to her in the last few days didn't help either.  No great surprise that was because I was wrangling my father.  She died while I was driving back from dropping him off at the pub, where I'd begrudgingly agreed to drop him off to avoid him making a huge scene (again) in the hospital.

Just an hour to have a chat would have done.  There were a few aspects to my life I'd never discussed for reasons of being foolishly self conscious and worried she wouldn't have approved, and always had planned to sort that.  Never got the chance did I?

Something which was a high point most times when I was out visiting at the weekends (I usually did all the driving then) was sharing what music had caught my attention over the last few weeks as we had pretty similarly eclectic tastes so it was always interesting sharing that.

It's a silly little thing, but it's one that I miss more than pretty much any other.  I just keep forgetting that "Next time" isn't ever going to come.

I guess a snippet of the lyrics of the first song which prompted this this evening fits..

"What you call home is a box full of memories, forever lost, but good enough to keep."

Sorry, that turned into more of a pointless ramble than it was meant to.

2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Stumbled across a couple of tracks in my audio library.  My automatic line of thought goes along the line of "I'll need to play that next time I'm out with my folks, think they'd like that..."

Dad going never really hit me to be honest...in a lot of ways he already had back in 1994, he came out of hospital after the brain haemorrhage a completely different person to who went in.  We never really was eye to eye after that, especially as I tended to not take his nonsense and would just tell him when he was being daft and self destructive. 

Mum though, seven years on my brain hasn't even vaguely figured out how to reconcile that she's gone.  Fact that it happened very suddenly was a part there, and that I was the only one of the friends or relations I'm aware of who never really had a chance to sit down and talk to her in the last few days didn't help either.  No great surprise that was because I was wrangling my father.  She died while I was driving back from dropping him off at the pub, where I'd begrudgingly agreed to drop him off to avoid him making a huge scene (again) in the hospital.

Just an hour to have a chat would have done.  There were a few aspects to my life I'd never discussed for reasons of being foolishly self conscious and worried she wouldn't have approved, and always had planned to sort that.  Never got the chance did I?

Something which was a high point most times when I was out visiting at the weekends (I usually did all the driving then) was sharing what music had caught my attention over the last few weeks as we had pretty similarly eclectic tastes so it was always interesting sharing that.

It's a silly little thing, but it's one that I miss more than pretty much any other.  I just keep forgetting that "Next time" isn't ever going to come.

I guess a snippet of the lyrics of the first song which prompted this this evening fits..

"What you call home is a box full of memories, forever lost, but good enough to keep."

I don't understand grief.  

My wife has completely fallen apart, and this week has received a significant sum of money from the sale of her parents house and it's sent her into another spiral of doom.  She obviously would give it all away if she could spend just one more day with her parents. 

3 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

I can totally empathise. Grief comes in waves and there’s no time limit on that tide.

It’s frustrating how the brain can ‘trick’ you into certain reactions, like wanting to share something with someone who is no longer here.

12 hours ago, MikeR said:

after owning Greyhounds and there sensitive belly's and resultant hose pipe ring piece .

I am finding owning a JRT  terrier type dog and its chomp anything jaws quite refreshing ....

wood chip , plastic toys , fabric toys , sticks , plants , travel , stress , our food , his food , anything he finds ....

anything that goes down that biscuit chute comes out firmly digested in a pick up able lump at the top of the garden !!!

strangely this has happened since yesterday , cant be mice can it ....

or could it be a certain dog ?

but a whole loaf into a terrier ?????

249687313_10225336466816761_2748930331066587853_n.jpg

1 hour ago, somewhatfoolish said:

He'll be shitting like a sausage machine after that; even with VALU bread an entire loaf has a lot of fibre.

just found out it was not the  dog ,

rats ? have got in from a other back garden behind the greenhouse  , gone around our garden  , under the garage door and bingo .

the track has now been blocked off , now I just need a load of bait ..  and a few traps .....

a whole loaf in one night , and not one sign of droppings !!

had a basin full with  the mice over the spring chewing up the shed stuff , I suppose this is what a new build does to the wild life ..

moves it on !

I know I’m a tightwad but isn’t £40 a bit expensive to reseal 2 tyres? The pressure is dropping a couple of Psi a week, literally wants the tyre taking off, rim cleaning up and refitting with plenty of paste. Can’t be more than half an hours work. This is at the local tyre under the arches type place so not one of these big outfits. 

14 hours ago, MikeR said:

Doc Martins are nearly 200 notes !! , last time I bought a pair  they were 30 quid in the army store , and they wore out !

After two pair of standard school shoes only lasted weeks, I bought my daughter a pair of Doc Martins.

£80 - she knew the shop owners.  She was 13 then, is 37 now and still has them.

In the meantime she has bought many other pairs at stratospheric prices.  The first ones never seem to wear out.

1 hour ago, myglaren said:

After two pair of standard school shoes only lasted weeks, I bought my daughter a pair of Doc Martins.

£80 - she knew the shop owners.  She was 13 then, is 37 now and still has them.

In the meantime she has bought many other pairs at stratospheric prices.  The first ones never seem to wear out.

I may be talking crap here but I think Docs used to be made in the UK then production moved abroad, so her first pair could be made on a UK last by a UK craftsperson and be better quality as a result. Could be urban legend though.

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

I know I’m a tightwad but isn’t £40 a bit expensive to reseal 2 tyres? The pressure is dropping a couple of Psi a week, literally wants the tyre taking off, rim cleaning up and refitting with plenty of paste. Can’t be more than half an hours work. This is at the local tyre under the arches type place so not one of these big outfits. 

Typically I've paid £10 a wheel for that.

4 minutes ago, juular said:

Typically I've paid £10 a wheel for that.

Found a local place for £15 a wheel which sounds a bit more like it. The tyres have 5mm of tread and only 2 years old still so no sense binning them off. Thinking maybe the first place basically would rather sell me some new tyres. 

3 hours ago, MikeR said:

just found out it was not the  dog ,

rats ? have got in from a other back garden behind the greenhouse  , gone around our garden  , under the garage door and bingo .

the track has now been blocked off , now I just need a load of bait ..  and a few traps .....

a whole loaf in one night , and not one sign of droppings !!

had a basin full with  the mice over the spring chewing up the shed stuff , I suppose this is what a new build does to the wild life ..

moves it on !

You don't need traps or bait, you have a bloody terrier, just put him in there and let him get on with it.

On 10/23/2021 at 5:46 PM, jamescarruthers said:

I

I met @richykitchy from here once to swap some parts in a service station and we both got a Parking Eye ticket. He paid like a good boy, I ignored them. 

Parking Eye too me to court, I lost. The judge was very sympathetic but ultimately it stuck on my credit record for 6 years. 

I wish Parking Eye would just fuck off and die but ultimately the law is on their side, sadly. 

We both turned up in BXs… He owns an SM now, I don’t. Any more proof required of how my life declined since I ignored Parking Eye?

I didn't pay, I contested it the right way and had it overturned. 😜

1 hour ago, MikeR said:

just travelled up north , as in near the lakes ,water everywhere , trees down , rivers across roads , fields flooded ...

was this a good idea ?

Yeah it's normal, I've just driven home from work and several places are flooded but it's nothing new, it'll drain eventually, stick to the main roads and you'll be fine....probably.

On 10/26/2021 at 8:42 PM, MikeR said:

Doc Martins are nearly 200 notes !! , last time I bought a pair  they were 30 quid in the army store , and they wore out !

And the new expensive ones now wear out 5 times quicker than the army store ones because now they're made by children in thailand out of recycled sex toys because they're "fashion" boots now, so they're made to be worn once every 6 weeks for a year and then forgotten about.

2 months light daily wear will 100% kill a pair. Get Solovairs instead. 

Ma says washing machine has died, let's go to currys. Er, no. I'll look at it when I'm not welding my disco back together. Hmmm, it makes beep noises but doesn't start. Bet the bloody door lock switch has gone. Dragged it out & unplugged, then couldn't suss how to get to the switch so put it back again. Sodding thing only works perfectly, just wanted a reboot. Sure it says hoover not microsoft on the front.

It really is a hateful POS though, rusting pretty much from day we got it, and now has a dent from me pushing it back in as it's made of super micro thin tin.

25 minutes ago, jakebullet said:

Ma says washing machine has died, let's go to currys. Er, no. I'll look at it when I'm not welding my disco back together. Hmmm, it makes beep noises but doesn't start. Bet the bloody door lock switch has gone. Dragged it out & unplugged, then couldn't suss how to get to the switch so put it back again. Sodding thing only works perfectly, just wanted a reboot. Sure it says hoover not microsoft on the front.

It really is a hateful POS though, rusting pretty much from day we got it, and now has a dent from me pushing it back in as it's made of super micro thin tin.

I had something similar with my washing machine, but it turned out to be an impeller clogged up by undissolved powder.  Luckily I had looked online for reasons for it's non-working & array of flashing lights.  Five minutes with an old toothbrush & an recommended empty run & it's been fine ever since.  Also I switched to using liquid which doesn't cause any clogging problems.

44 minutes ago, Richard_FM said:

I had something similar with my washing machine, but it turned out to be an impeller clogged up by undissolved powder.  Luckily I had looked online for reasons for it's non-working & array of flashing lights.  Five minutes with an old toothbrush & an recommended empty run & it's been fine ever since.  Also I switched to using liquid which doesn't cause any clogging problems.

Alternating between powder and liquid is also good, as liquid causes scum to build on the drum and outer drum which can also cause clogging issues. Soda crystals do well shifting that stuff at high temperature, though.

23 hours ago, 3VOM said:

I may be talking crap here but I think Docs used to be made in the UK then production moved abroad, so her first pair could be made on a UK last by a UK craftsperson and be better quality as a result. Could be urban legend though.

I agree, the genuine ones are sold under a different name now I believe.

I have a pair, had them probably twenty years, good as new.

Only because I hardly ever wear them, they are a bit small so walking more than a couple of miles gets painful, also they have laces.  I hate lace-up shoes, it takes me ten minutes to get them on and laced up.