The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Dammit.

IMG_20211028_161019.thumb.jpg.8dd3fa662ff7fd8d757d52df98e61e03.jpg

That is supposed to be attached to the pump of my pressure washer...It just launched itself across the driveway and thoroughly soaked both me and an innocent passer by as the hose then took on a life of its own and took a good 30 seconds for me to capture.

I don't think I have ever been quite so embarrassed.

Edit:

Additional grump.  One of the relatively few major events I had been tentatively looking forward to next year have in the last couple of hours announced their 2022 event is cancelled.

Pretty much expecting the other two related events to do the same in short order now.

Why do all current mobile browsers suck?

I have desperately trying to move on beyond the Aug 2020 Firefox update... however have been utterly unable to find anything which doesn't have at least one huge deal breaker.  Whether it be text handling (Kiwi Browser, Chrome), lack of plugin compatibility or file handling (Updated Firefox) or simple things like a vaguely competent UI and functional ad-blocker (Chrome, updated Firefox)...and keep going back for general purpose browsing a now very outdated browser.

The potential for disaster is minimal for me given that I don't use web based email or banking and every website has a unique password, so if anything were compromised it would be limited to a single site.  I'd really like to not be using outdated software...however the current stuff just... doesn't...work. 

I really have bloody tried.

Desktop is fine, this is all mobile platform problems...which accounts for about 90% of my usage these days...if I stopped using a mobile browser I may as well delete my account as you'd never see anything.

I'm not after perfection...the "old version" of Firefox had some annoyances, but they were that.  Moderately annoying traits or occasional glitches...but they caused the occasional burst of swearing and arm flailing and that was it.  I've just spent an two hours trying to put together a post in Chrome which would have taken me 40 minutes in Firefox and gave up because trying to copy and paste blocks of text is so clunky. 

This automotive "blog" thing is my main hobby, and as such a lot of content is placed across several platforms - AS being an annoying one as since it's big upgrade a while ago it doesn't support old BB Code tags for image embedding so I HAVE to do things differently for either this site or all the others. 

This adds a few minutes of extra work but I've a pretty efficient workflow for it...using a now out of date browser.  All of the current ones I've tried though break that in some way and it's really pissing me off. 

Think I'm just going to stick with out of date for now...at least it sodding works.

9 hours ago, Wack said:

Christmas 1995 , then girlfriend , now wife and I went to Egypt , it's was utterly fascinating ,breathtakingly beautiful and felt like going back in time 

Fucking Americans

I'm surprised there's not a big  M on top of the Sphynx 

I visited in 2001; no fast food, plenty of piles of stinking rubbish, donkey and camel shit everywhere and a constant barrage of looky looky men trying to flog you (non-vehicular)tat. Plenty of battered Pug 504s and still a few 404s though, which was nice.

9 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

I visited in 2001; no fast food, plenty of piles of stinking rubbish, donkey and camel shit everywhere and a constant barrage of looky looky men trying to flog you (non-vehicular)tat. Plenty of battered Pug 504s and still a few 404s though, which was nice.

Not too many changes since, although the Egyptians now have a bit of a Sisi running the country...

3 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

We did a day tour in a pug 504 , there was an excursion that didnt include much and involved walking up a 15ft plank to get on a boat which my wife declined.

They all had a crap day , we had a great day in this taxi , the guy suggested things we hadn't considered including tea on the terrace at The Old Cateract hotel where Agatha Christie wrote death on the Nile, it was a beautiful view , think the day cost me £20 

Luxor airport was chaos , it was like all the planes arrived and left at the same time so the queue snaked outside the building 

We got out of the taxi and a guy in a suit asked which airline we were flying with , ah yes , please follow me

He picked the cases up and we followed him down this long line of people until there was a gap , he plonked the cases down and put his hand out, baksheesh , it was then we realised he didn't work at the airport :D

4 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Not too many changes since, although the Egyptians now have a bit of a Sisi running the country...

It was a day trip from where we were in Ismailia; the taxi ride was genuinely terrifying, I resigned myself to death/maiming quite quickly and just shut my eyes, lots of overtaking and undertaking action, missing bus-sized blocks of concrete by a foot or so at 70+ and playing dodgems with knackered wagons belching clag everywhere.

11 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

Took the BX to get the suspension height adjusted. I come back and cycle through the heights and now the front is lower than the back again :(

The Haynes manual measurements are correct, right?

Have you checked that someone hasn't dumped five skips in the boot while you weren't looking?

Just now, wuvvum said:

Have you checked that someone hasn't dumped five skips in the boot while you weren't looking?

Just looked, no skips in sight.

It's a linkage issue and needs rebuilding ideally. I'll save up.for it over the winter.

On 10/27/2021 at 1:48 PM, anonymous user said:

You don't need traps or bait, you have a bloody terrier, just put him in there and let him get on with it.

But then you'd have a shit machine that wants walking and would probably bark and smell. 

Don't tell me yours doesn't smell, it does, it's just you can't smell it any more. 

Cats FTW

3 hours ago, Wack said:

It never ceases to amaze me what some people consider acceptable , this guy needs a month on the bus 

Screenshot_20211029-140624_Facebook.thumb.jpg.9a247d1c13b36a79579af2a417d23401.jpg

He's just driven past a large layby frequently used by vosa or whatever they are called now, I'm pretty sure the tosser works for a mega tosser I unfortunately know.

What the fuck would make you think this is ok?

Booked car in today for some new tyres, the ones on the back were lowish and cracked quite badly. Expressly said the new tyres wanted fitting on the back... 

Arrived after work and they had been swapped with the good fronts and the bollocksed ones on the back left on, they’re getting swapped back over on Monday but what is it with people not being able to get things right? I’ll give them benefit of the doubt but if it’s not right Monday then a complaint is winging its way to them. It’s not just this occasion, wherever you go everything’s half arsed. 

7 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Booked car in today for some new tyres, the ones on the back were lowish and cracked quite badly. Expressly said the new tyres wanted fitting on the back... 

Arrived after work and they had been swapped with the good fronts and the bollocksed ones on the back left on, they’re getting swapped back over on Monday but what is it with people not being able to get things right? I’ll give them benefit of the doubt but if it’s not right Monday then a complaint is winging its way to them. It’s not just this occasion, wherever you go everything’s half arsed. 

This happened to me too. I politely told them to fish the good ones out of the skip and put them back on. 

I think half the time the problem is the communication between 'front desk' and man with ugga-dugga gun.

I now use a man in a scruffy unit who paints wheels for a living. 

11 minutes ago, grogee said:

This happened to me too. I politely told them to fish the good ones out of the skip and put them back on. 

I think half the time the problem is the communication between 'front desk' and man with ugga-dugga gun.

That’s what’s getting done Monday. It’s saved me a couple of quid parking as I’ll drop it off before and pick it up after work but that’s bye the bye.

On 27/10/2021 at 21:25, MikeR said:

Ping , my next CT scan date has popped into my inbox ....it's like a dreaded MOT .

Spin the wheel of life 

Pass  or scrap !!!!

FFS the brain is starting to spin.

You okay? Phone me if you want to chat. 

1 hour ago, New POD said:

You okay? Phone me if you want to chat. 

the wife was concerned , but she is still shopping in London and back on Sat .

now I find my booster jab is due , but I cant have that as it might make my Lymph nodes swell up , which will/might  confuse the CT cancer scan .

so its scan first , then booster jab ..

I am having some 11% proof medicine at the moment

2 hours ago, grogee said:

I've changed quite a lot of tyres. I generally found using my eyes always worked in those situations. If the tyres I was asked to change looked good, I would maybe ask if the instructions were wrong?