The grumpy thread

outlaw118

2 minutes ago, eddyramrod said:

It now looks like she's going to be in for the weekend.  Noticeably, it's ten years this month since she was in hospital in Paphos.

Keep your chin up man.  The fact she's being kept in is a good thing.  I know a couple of people who've properly had sepsis; by now they were both in a very very bad way.  If she hasn't deteriorated in the last 48 hours then she's likely doing well.  

Try to keep busy eh?

1 hour ago, HillmanImp said:

Thats the end of banger racing in Angmering then. 

Screenshot_20211022-145721_Facebook.thumb.jpg.c2eafe735f7055b7265b6c7859486578.jpg

That's a crying shame, it's a great track and really well attended. Recently United Downs raceway in Cornwall has had the lease it's held from the Council for donkeys years ended and awarded to a rum distillery,  ending 50 years odd of racing  My old "home" track of Birmingham Wheels is probably also getting closed though some spurious and convoluted way by the council to be sold and developed into warehousing.   Birmingham wheels was donated many years ago to the council and had some caveat about it only being used as a motor sports venue. They tried to close it a while back using some clause or other but were defeated but now are using the excuse of finding Japanese Knot weed on the land, meaning the only course of action is to demolish the whole lot, the speed skating oval, the fantastic Karting track, the rally circuit, driving school and of course the banked tarmac ovaltrack, used for short circuit racing and drifting.  They're obliged by some sort of old contract to provide an alternative venue of equivalent standard or better, but of course they've found a dodge around this and are simply evicting all the motorsport businesses that use the site. 

I know this form of motorsport venue isn't everyone's cup of tea, but if we're not careful the only form of motorsport anyone's going to have access to will be via a Playstation. 

16 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

Oh, I dunno... that section on the top-right looks pleasingly oval-shaped...

Screenshot_20211022-145721_Facebook.thumb.jpg.c2eafe735f7055b7265b6c7859486578.jpg.ee1d06152f97fbc21ee183a6edf0b0d4.jpg

I did notice that myself as its where the current track is. 

Screenshot_20211023-083700_Maps.thumb.jpg.1a19e53e4fd0a16e78ef80608ab1f4dd.jpg

I am genuinely gutted. I've been going all my life. I still try go when I'm visiting my mum if its on. 

Its funny, the miserable residents have been complaining about it for decades. 

'Its noisy' 

'There's dust coming from it'. 

'People going to it are causing traffic' 

But its the same ones that are up in arms about more houses 'ruining' their community. 

However they like to moan about absolutely fucking anything in Angmering.

https://www.littlehamptongazette.co.uk/news/politics/amazon-delivery-drivers-told-to-stop-using-angmering-as-cut-through-3257451?amp

There was terrible weather the other day and it flooded in multiple places in sussex and the peoole on the Angmering Facebook page were calling for a protest. What the fuck against. 

old.jpg.a105f0c935ccaa7745d339c7e38ce711.jpg

I mean the money must be tempting but I wouldn't be surprised if the constant pressure to close the track from the wanker residents is a factor in the decision to sell. 

11 hours ago, sheffcortinacentre said:

You forget a couple of points 

1. Money to be made 

2. The evil car must be banished ( unless you're saving the planet by buying a new one).

I do often look enviously at places like Ireland and France, where motorsport is still tolerated and encouraged. I especially like those French tout terrain rallies they have, often on incredibly narrow unsurfaced tracks.

The value of land for housing in the UK is really putting the kibosh on any other form of development, it's absolutely ridiculous now (I work in a development related industry). The site adjoining my house has just been sold off, happily to a local steel producers, which is preferable to yet another housing estate.

Ref: Grand Pa 'shouts at cloud'....

"..The site adjoining my house has just been sold off, happily to a local steel producers, which is preferable to yet another housing estate.."

Remembering the Great Springfield Tyre 🔥= behind my house...

The old post office yard, behind our house, was leased by a scaffolding firm.... Bonggling of scaffy pipes at 6AM. We were not happy :(

.... change of use, to tyre place...

Fire nearly takes us & house!!

Be Careful What You Wish For  ;)

25 minutes ago, reb said:

Fucksticks.

20211023_131712.thumb.jpg.ccfea677a215a8640e56c1eae847da65.jpg

I've parked in this car park without a problem before, there must be a threshold for how long you can be there before it issues a charge.

Scotland? Ignore it.

They'd have to take you to court to enforce it, and they'd have to prove you were the one driving the car.

From those photos that's going to be difficult.

11 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

I do hope you were there for a 'legitimate' reason!

Was picking mum up from the airport, where the hotel is located, didn't even leave the car!

9 minutes ago, juular said:

Scotland? Ignore it.

They'd have to take you to court to enforce it, and they'd have to prove you were the one driving the car.

From those photos that's going to be difficult.

I've heard lots of conflicting information about whether you can safely ignore them or not. Mum has said she'll pay it because she's the one that said to wait in that car park, I think if I was to suggest not paying it she'd disagree.

I

4 hours ago, reb said:

Was picking mum up from the airport, where the hotel is located, didn't even leave the car!

I've heard lots of conflicting information about whether you can safely ignore them or not. Mum has said she'll pay it because she's the one that said to wait in that car park, I think if I was to suggest not paying it she'd disagree.

I met @richykitchy from here once to swap some parts in a service station and we both got a Parking Eye ticket. He paid like a good boy, I ignored them. 

Parking Eye too me to court, I lost. The judge was very sympathetic but ultimately it stuck on my credit record for 6 years. 

I wish Parking Eye would just fuck off and die but ultimately the law is on their side, sadly. 

We both turned up in BXs… He owns an SM now, I don’t. Any more proof required of how my life declined since I ignored Parking Eye?

Some may recall me regaling about my wife having an odd cardiac issue a few months ago when her heart rate went bonkers high and mucho chest pains resulting in blue light to A&E, she's had unstable angina attacks daily since,had a battery of test's but no diagnosis as yet. She had another very dodgy episode of severe chest pain yesterday and her resting pulse was 207 bpm so again was blue lighted in for them to do some scary sounding shit with drugs to sort out her dodgy rhythms whilst hooked up to a defib just in case it went wrong, she's a lot more settled but has been kept in for the weekend at least and will hopefully get a diagnosis and some treatment to get her back to a normal lifestyle as she's been pretty much housebound for months :( 

I'm very bored, restless and very worried but she's in the best hands, I work in the NHS but never cease to be amazed at how fucking wonderful it is and how lucky we are to have it 

On 10/7/2021 at 11:11 PM, eddyramrod said:

See, that's what bothers me.  I have always been risk-averse.  I won't do stuff I can't justify to myself somehow, especially if a different path is already laid down in black and white in paperwork that lives in the car.  Also, my "luck" being what it is, you can bet money that at some point in such a trip, I would indeed have an accident.  Regardless of degree or fault, it would be seen as my fault because I simply shouldn't have been there.  Not alone anyway.

The other day I had a Writers' meeting, in the middle of town as usual.  I parked as close as I could, which was still several streets away, and walked the rest with my tripod.  I had taken the Suzuki because the chances of finding a Huggy-sized space are supermodel-thin.  MrsR derived no benefit from that excursion; she wasn't with me and wouldn't have wanted to be.  I suppose one could argue that she gained a couple of hours of peace away from me... but if someone had popped out of a side road and taken the front off the Suzuki, where would I stand?  The scenario isn't as unlikely as it may sound, it's what killed my lovely Scarlet Skateboard MR2 a few years ago (an incident about which I am still burning with rage).

All the above is why I've tried so hard all this time to keep a cheap daily for my own use.

You're your wife's carer, practically everything you do is for her benefit, even leisure trips are arguably for her benefit as they are beneficial for your mental health; it's pretty hard to be a carer if you're catatonic with stress. If it's affecting you this badly consider returning the Motability mobile and spending the allowance on a shitter instead, no stress and you can drive yourself to John O'Groats if you want.

On 10/15/2021 at 6:53 PM, anonymous user said:

Welcome to my world, I try to remember things by writing them down, but then lose the bit of paper. Occasionally I find bits of paper with things written on, but the few random words, or phone number with no name make no sense to me.

Whiteboard in your kitchen/home office. I have one at work, it's surprisingly helpful and can't get left in a boiler suit and washed by mistake(I've done that and lost a year's useful scribblings in a notebook).

12 hours ago, omegod said:

Some may recall me regaling about my wife having an odd cardiac issue a few months ago when her heart rate went bonkers high and mucho chest pains resulting in blue light to A&E, she's had unstable angina attacks daily since,had a battery of test's but no diagnosis as yet. She had another very dodgy episode of severe chest pain yesterday and her resting pulse was 207 bpm so again was blue lighted in for them to do some scary sounding shit with drugs to sort out her dodgy rhythms whilst hooked up to a defib just in case it went wrong, she's a lot more settled but has been kept in for the weekend at least and will hopefully get a diagnosis and some treatment to get her back to a normal lifestyle as she's been pretty much housebound for months :( 

I'm very bored, restless and very worried but she's in the best hands, I work in the NHS but never cease to be amazed at how fucking wonderful it is and how lucky we are to have it 

Sounds like they should be transferring her to LHC at Broad green then? 

@omegod Best of luck to Mrs God!  And to you, I know how stressful it all is.

1 hour ago, somewhatfoolish said:

consider returning the Motability mobile and spending the allowance on a shitter instead, no stress and you can drive yourself to John O'Groats if you want.

Don't imagine I didn't think of this!  However: after the infamous Huggy episode before I was ill, she isn't going to trust an old car over that kind of distance any longer, and it won't matter how many miles I've already done in it.  Before we went with Motability we had the delightful Chevy Tacuma, which we had owned for over five years and had been a splendid little car, perfectly adequate for Inverness or Portsmouth to see whichever pair of grandkids was involved.  But, when I sold it on here to @Bobthebeard it was 11 years old and even I was beginning to wonder what would break.  Could I afford to buy something similar to what that was when I bought it?  Nearly six years old, automatic, capable of carrying the wheelchair, compact enough for Mrs to drive, presentable, comfortable, reliable enough for thousand-mile weekends.  Even scouring the Shite For Sale and Ebay threads, I doubt it.  So to me, Motability is justified because it puts us in a new car that should be capable and reliable for the big jobs, and will simply do what it has to do day-to-day.  Especially: without me having to break out my many spanners!

I do take your point about preserving my sanity though.  That is the reasoning I use in general, but I'm still struggling to convince myself that it could apply to a random daytrip.  Maybe I just worry too much, but at the moment I'm back where I was a decade ago, the only advantage being that we're in the UK rather than Cyprus.

Leisure battery in the van appeared to be dead.  Figured before binning it I should at least check the electrolyte level.  Should be easy enough...

675440509_IMG_20211024_1627222.thumb.jpg.bfaa0ace532dd9eaf8cafc797ffcbb83.jpg

Yeah...remove the label...

IMG_20211024_162725.thumb.jpg.70aa93f8ce84b15146dc21f4ded0ff84.jpg

Bloody nonsense having a completely welded shut battery on something that by its very nature is likely to spend long periods on trickle charge. 

It's utterly fooked anyway, but not being able to get into it non destructively to actually check hacked me right off.

On 10/23/2021 at 1:21 PM, reb said:

Fucksticks.

I've parked in this car park without a problem before, there must be a threshold for how long you can be there before it issues a charge.

I have had the exact same thing when i parked at that hotel for an hour a couple of years ago.  I emailed the hotel and said i was a guest and they had issued a penalty by mistake.  Luckily for me they didn't check i actually had been a guest, they replied apologising and said they would cancel it with parking eye.  I sent parking eye a polite letter enclosing that reply and they cancelled the whole thing. 

Bit of a ball ache but worth a try.  It clearly happened so much they didn't actually check if you had stayed there.