The grumpy thread

outlaw118

7 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

MrsR is ill.  She had a scan last week, for which they needed to inject her with some "contrast dye."  She also started some new medication.  She's suffering a reaction to one thing or the other (can't tell which) consisting of a major and sudden rash, swollen and puffy eyes, loss of what little appetite she has, complete loss of sleep and inability to manage the pain she was already in anyway.  Not to mention the lack of energy.  She's phoned the doctor this morning and got an appointment with someone this afternoon, so that's something I suppose.

They'd only booked her in for the rash, with a nurse.  Nurse escalated us to nurse-practitioner, who did a couple of routine obs and then booked us into A&E.  So that's where I've had to leave MrsR.  NP reckoned it was sepsis, which is a worry.  Not a clue when I'll get her back.

Nasty stuff, Eddy - though if it is sepsis, with any luck they'll get her some IV antibiotics tout de suite and that should stabilise things.

MrsDC ended up nobbled back in July with it; wouldn't wish it on anyone. Not even Top Gear producers who do amusing* things with Morris Marinas and pianos.

9 hours ago, Gerrymcd said:

Don't be a cheap cunt like me and buy a Hisense. 

If you have problems with it you'll spend WEEKS back and forth with their customer support team only to be told "not our problem m9". 

I have one of their 65" jobbies and it will not play UHD content through Netflix or iPlayer without it flickering intermittently.... software issue that isn't covered apparently (telly has a Netflix button on the remote FFS).

Then there is the issue with bluetooth headsets regularly losing audio stream / stuttering (even though they work perfectly fine with my other TV/Phones)...they don't guarantee compatibility. 

Make sure your telly is also backed by a reputable warranty from the likes of Richer Sounds. This fucking thing would have been thrown back at Costcos front desk if it wasn't for the fact I'll need to hire a van to take it back 😂. Going through the rigmarole of an online return just now.🤞

Bought a TDsystems. It turns out to be a Spanish brand. Never hear of them before. Only a LCD of 32". Sound is crap and that is to be expected. It is a "smart TV". However, there is no keyboard and you ave to enter logon details for apps using the  remote arrows and on screen pointer. That is so flipping hard. The prices was good 179€

looking around found that what appears to be the same TV  has a slightly different model number. But the differences in the set are not so great or clear. I do not like that. Somehow feel as if there are not very trustworthy.

6 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

They'd only booked her in for the rash, with a nurse.  Nurse escalated us to nurse-practitioner, who did a couple of routine obs and then booked us into A&E.  So that's where I've had to leave MrsR.  NP reckoned it was sepsis, which is a worry.  Not a clue when I'll get her back.

Well it won't be tonight.  They're keeping her in at least one night, possibly more, because there was talk of me bringing in a bag in the morning with stuff she will need.

An unopened pine cone decided it was going to land on my truck, putting a big old dent in the hood. Sakes. 

Heavy bastard of a thing, too, about the weight of a cricket ball and the length of a good size banana.

I might be able to massage the dent out, I'll have a look when it's light.

I'm getting fed up with all my vehicles getting dented up.

Phil

14 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

I am developing a very special hatred for people who treat the right turn lane on roundabouts (where it IS a right turn only) as their own personal overtaking lane.

Especially when the twats don't even have the decency to put their foot down to get out the way - no, muggins here has to slam on the anchors to avoid getting sideswiped.

Three times it's happened today, third of which nearly resulted in me getting driven into by the bus that was behind me.

Do you drive in Birmingham? Was it a white Astra GTC? Was it me? I keep getting in the wrong fucking lane and my attempts to make it right seems to activate people's most aggressive nature. 

34 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

The new Android 12 has turned my phone's fonts and styles into this.

Screenshot_20211021-091811.thumb.png.e4415329f2536616d1c4f73517eb9db2.png

image.png.047587b48949fe95520bc9776fad502b.png

Naturally, you can't customise it.

Course you can! Welcome to the world of icon packs, background changes and new fonts 👌 You can even go as far as building your own custom ui launcher and home screen, pixel by pixel! 

Or, download the free nova launcher and go wild! (but it will cripple oneui if you like it... I can't use it on my flip as it stops alot of the flip stuff working but my note 10 lite looked like a cartoon without it) 

15 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Course you can! Welcome to the world of icon packs, background changes and new fonts 👌 You can even go as far as building your own custom ui launcher and home screen, pixel by pixel! 

Or, download the free nova launcher and go wild! (but it will cripple oneui if you like it... I can't use it on my flip as it stops alot of the flip stuff working but my note 10 lite looked like a cartoon without it) 

Tell me moar! I'd like to remove the cartoon-ness from it.

But... Who's Smiling Now?

My Churchill renewal has just come through @£196 FC.

Confused gives me cheaper but without Motor Legal Cover (£145 + £31 for MLC)

I phoned Churchill and asked if they could do anything [even, mebbies delete my MLC if poss] ..... "Let's have a look..." ..... "We can adjust you to £156.80 & MLC is std in all our policies"

Nice lady = that'll do 4 me 👍😎

5 hours ago, New POD said:

Do you drive in Birmingham? Was it a white Astra GTC? Was it me? I keep getting in the wrong fucking lane and my attempts to make it right seems to activate people's most aggressive nature. 

That doesn't bother me so much, and it's usually pretty obvious when someone has fouled up.  This is very clearly just people who can't be assed waiting in the queue of two or three cars going ahead (which is always by far the busiest direction on the roundabouts in question), which have very clear lane markings both on the road leading up to and on signposts - plus while there are plenty of complicated, confusing roundabouts around here, this isn't happening on those!

The one at the Caldecotte A5 junction is a good example - which I now *deliberately* use the wrong lane for when turning right (heading north), because if you use the correct lane there's about an 80% chance of you getting sideswiped as nobody else seems to understand (or cares) how it works.

Screenshot_20211021_114859.thumb.jpg.8eb041522e54dae3505ba9bd84f118ab.jpg

I honestly thought I was doing something wrong before, to the extend of emailing a friend who's a PCV driving instructor to ask if I was being an idiot.  Nope, I was right!

@tooSavvy You got a better result than I did!  When I swopped my Volvo for CMS206'sAstra, Churchill wanted a load of extra money out of me!  Wait a minute... going from a 2.5 litre 1996 Volvo to a 1.7 litre diesel 2004 Astra?  I managed to get the increase down to £69 by adding MrsR, even though there was no way she was ever going to drive it.  Guess who isn't going to get my business for the next shite car?

2 hours ago, Fumbler said:

Tell me moar! I'd like to remove the cartoon-ness from it.

https://www.xda-developers.com/best-icon-packs/

Start here! Also don't forget you can still set other images for the lockscreen and/or homescreen. I've got my Samsung lock screen cycling through a different photo of food every time it turns the screen on

52 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

That doesn't bother me so much, and it's usually pretty obvious when someone has fouled up.  This is very clearly just people who can't be assed waiting in the queue of two or three cars going ahead (which is always by far the busiest direction on the roundabouts in question), which have very clear lane markings both on the road leading up to and on signposts - plus while there are plenty of complicated, confusing roundabouts around here, this isn't happening on those!

The one at the Caldecotte A5 junction is a good example - which I now *deliberately* use the wrong lane for when turning right (heading north), because if you use the correct lane there's about an 80% chance of you getting sideswiped as nobody else seems to understand (or cares) how it works.

Screenshot_20211021_114859.thumb.jpg.8eb041522e54dae3505ba9bd84f118ab.jpg

I honestly thought I was doing something wrong before, to the extend of emailing a friend who's a PCV driving instructor to ask if I was being an idiot.  Nope, I was right!

Theres a roundabout like that on the edge of Milton Keynes coming in from Aylesbury.

I've traversed it the correct way and I lncorrect way many times now and decided the correct way was better but with a huge chance of a kiss from the left... 

They've re painted the road marking now which helps, at least you can sit on the inside on the horn and be correct, although the lane across is easier... 

8/10 I am at the front of the queue at the lights and just take off and straight-line it and job jobbed... 

Screenshot_20211021-123954_Maps.thumb.jpg.d48a66722afc583a0db9a31f5d02b0ae.jpg

Coming from the a4146 and off to Brickhill Road. 

I failed my first driving test on an evil double roundabout in Wycombe too... Got beeped at because i was in the correct lane. Nowadays I've learnt the lanes mean nothing and you just set eyes on your exit and grit your teeth... (or go nowhere near that bit of Wycombe...) Bottom of Desborough hill iirc 

Just reported a facebook ad openly advertising "bent MOTs" at £100 a go. Pisses me off - yes the MOT can be expensive and inconvenient, particularly for older cars, but ultimately it helps ensure cars are safe for the occupants and everyone else around them.

I'm not expecting FB to actually do anything about it though.

16 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Theres a roundabout like that on the edge of Milton Keynes coming in from Aylesbury.

I've traversed it the correct way and I lncorrect way many times now and decided the correct way was better but with a huge chance of a kiss from the left... 

They've re painted the road marking now which helps, at least you can sit on the inside on the horn and be correct, although the lane across is easier... 

8/10 I am at the front of the queue at the lights and just take off and straight-line it and job jobbed... 

Screenshot_20211021-123954_Maps.thumb.jpg.d48a66722afc583a0db9a31f5d02b0ae.jpg

Coming from the a4146 and off to Brickhill Road. 

I failed my first driving test on an evil double roundabout in Wycombe too... Got beeped at because i was in the correct lane. Nowadays I've learnt the lanes mean nothing and you just set eyes on your exit and grit your teeth... (or go nowhere near that bit of Wycombe...) Bottom of Desborough hill iirc 

That's exactly the same one I just posted!  I get our dog food from a store in Walnut Tree so am regularly heading from Brickhill road right onto the northbound A5.  Folks just don't seem to understand that you can go right from the two rightmost lanes - but if you're in the far right it takes you onto lane 2 - they almost invariably move to the left as soon as they enter the roundabout, where I usually already am.

So I now do exactly the same...just I check there's no bloody car there before moving to the left.  If there is, I stay right where I am and just join the A5 in lane 2 as the designer intended...and am usually then stuck there for about half a mile while a string of Audis and BMWs undertake me at 90 before I can get back into lane 1.

20 minutes ago, Soundwave said:

Just reported a facebook ad openly advertising "bent MOTs" at £100 a go. Pisses me off - yes the MOT can be expensive and inconvenient, particularly for older cars, but ultimately it helps ensure cars are safe for the occupants and everyone else around them.

Never mind facebook, report that to DVSA

57 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

https://www.xda-developers.com/best-icon-packs/

Start here! Also don't forget you can still set other images for the lockscreen and/or homescreen. I've got my Samsung lock screen cycling through a different photo of food every time it turns the screen on

Deftly combining 'copyright violation', freezeframing & in-menu navigation...

I have this..... 🌈😎

Screenshot_2021-09-26-11-10-53-456_lockscreen.jpg

2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

That's exactly the same one I just posted!  I get our dog food from a store in Walnut Tree so am regularly heading from Brickhill road right onto the northbound A5.  Folks just don't seem to understand that you can go right from the two rightmost lanes - but if you're in the far right it takes you onto lane 2 - they almost invariably move to the left as soon as they enter the roundabout, where I usually already am.

So I now do exactly the same...just I check there's no bloody car there before moving to the left.  If there is, I stay right where I am and just join the A5 in lane 2 as the designer intended...and am usually then stuck there for about half a mile while a string of Audis and BMWs undertake me at 90 before I can get back into lane 1.

So it is! Hadn't clocked that, don't actually know where its called, just where to go to get to my dad's 😂

Good to have confirmation from a local that I'm doing it correctly 👍

3 hours ago, Soundwave said:

I reported a want ad on Done Deal for a set of registration documents for a Transit pickup last week and it was gone 10 min later. Unsurprisingly, the ad was from County Louth.

My garage hoover decided to croak today. Hmmmm, I think it's the brushes, nowt to lose by taking it apart, could be resurrected cheaply. Strip down started well, the entire thing appears to be held together by identical self tappers. 9 screws removed, stick screwdriver in hole #10, and why isn't it working? That would be 'cos it's a security torx. Bastards!