The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Something else I used to see on Wheeler Dealers fairly often was, the car would gradually get done up through the show then they’d run through the ‘costs’ and you’d often see the car again after this either being driven around or polished up somewhere. 
Id always notice how many of them had, by now gained a nice new set of tyres. None of which were included on the costing rundown! A new set of tyres all round would certainly add a good bit onto the bill.

1 hour ago, Remspoor said:

One car has survived Flipping Bangers.

When i watched the show I used to look up the bodged car's reg on the DVLA. Something did not add up. Sometimes the MOT was not valid or it had falied the MOT recently. Not taxed so the car was not on the road, shortly after airing.

It now seems that Richard Hammond (Hamster) is now going to be doing a restoration car show.

Oh christ, no!!! I’m afraid I can’t stand him, or the big mouthed rich yob from Yorkshire. All his loving of new Jaguar  Land Rover products and Mercedez Binziz. I really despise what he did and said about anything and everything British. In my family we all knew they weren’t very good  (some were, some weren’t I suppose)  but we actually liked them.

1 hour ago, cobblers said:

Good grief, I can only imagine what complete bollocks that's going to be.

No more than that Boxter job on W Ds , oh look the heat shield is loose .  it rattles

tin can , snips and some rivets   ...  sorted ?

Nah , whole new zorst  system , and drop the back bumper to fit !!

It's not so much what happens to the cars, but I just can't stand to see or hear Richard Hammond for even one second. He's a crap local radio DJ that is somehow about 400 levels above his station.

In a world with any justice, he'd be trying and failing to find work as a Marty Feldman impersonator. 

He's a living breathing example of how being talented, knowledgable, likeable or even vaguely watchable is irrelevant to your TV career if you're in the right place at the right time.

I didn't used to mind him until I got his "I've had a crash" book for christmas one year. I started it with an open mind, but by the time I was 40 pages in I couldn't stand to read or hear a word he produced.

2 hours ago, MikeR said:

No more than that Boxter job on W Ds , oh look the heat shield is loose .  it rattles

The best one I remember on WD was the Puggy 205GTi with smoke pouring out the exhaust which turned out* to be the clutch...

7 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Out after dark in a Citroën... 

Something dropped off... 

The wrong pipe clip is fitted... 

Give me a clue 🤔

P. S if you're nearside headlight falls out, I've got a spare one. 

Accelerator pump nozzle fell out when I put my foot down and jammed the throttle open. Then, it got unstuck and was sucked into the engine. Fortunately, it appears to be made of brass so I can't imagine much harm was done, but investigation with a boroscope will be necessary.

I do like me some spares. I do have a headlight or two in a spares box but I've got no idea what its condition is. If I do have a problem, at least I know who to call on!

Problem with all these ‘flipping’ shows is that people with mince for brains actually start thinking they could see a car for sale for £1000, bid them £200, spend £50 then ‘flip’ it for £3000. 

Those guys on ‘flipping bangers’ were a pair of fools, it was funny to watch if I’m honest, this premise that anybody makes money selling £500 cars. The Alfa showed what a set of rank amateurs they were.

13 hours ago, MikeR said:

If you are buying and selling cars you do the bare minimum then get it sold on. Nobody fucks about improving them for a future owner. Who gives a shit! 

21 hours ago, Timewaster said:

Yes I remember that flipping bangers. 

They cubed the car still with the wheels they had just paid to refurbish. 

There are so many flaws in that format. 

1. Buy shitter. 

2. Take pictures and put on ebay. 

3. Fix the old shitter. 

Nonsense. I still like to watch it though. 

While I like the kind of cars featured in Flipping Bangers, that show is so frustrating to watch at times. Artificial time limit, placing an advert before the car is finished, botched paintjobs with a rattle can, dumb decisions like scrapping that Alfa without selling good parts like the refurbished wheels (it had a good interior as well iirc), etc.

Utter balls that it is, it beats watching Midsomer murders. 

I suspect chief inspector Barnaby is actually a deranged serial killer himself, and he's spending the entire episode trying to pin his vicious deeds on innocent members of the public. Surely people getting murdered everywhere he goes can't be a coincidence.

19 minutes ago, D.E said:

I suspect chief inspector Barnaby is actually a deranged serial killer himself, and he's spending the entire episode trying to pin his vicious deeds on innocent members of the public. Surely people getting murdered everywhere he goes can't be a coincidence.

This is why I would never recommend accepting a friend request from Jessica Fletcher, they were dropping like flies everywhere she went

4 hours ago, D.E said:

While I like the kind of cars featured in Flipping Bangers, that show is so frustrating to watch at times. Artificial time limit, placing an advert before the car is finished, botched paintjobs with a rattle can, dumb decisions like scrapping that Alfa without selling good parts like the refurbished wheels (it had a good interior as well iirc), etc.

I would have thought you'd be watching something like Moordvrouw or Baantjer 😉

I was recently outraged to discover that the moon is not peopled by knitted mice that live on soup made from string.  What a lot of old nonsense the Clangers is.   

Makes me wonder if any other TV programmes are full of complete shit they've made up to make them seem more entertaining. 

Turn it off! 

On 17/10/2021 at 14:37, Timewaster said:

Yes I remember that flipping bangers. 

They cubed the car still with the wheels they had just paid to refurbish. 

6 hours ago, D.E said:

dumb decisions like scrapping that Alfa without selling good parts like the refurbished wheels (it had a good interior as well iirc), etc.

For some reason that pissed me off far more than is rational...

1 hour ago, D.E said:

Who needs detectives when a clown and an acrobat can solve mysteries and crimes!😁

Auto-Bassie-en-Adriaan.png

Bassie & Adriaan and a Honda. Those who have never lived in The Netherlands must wonder what we write about.

The only Brit/ Dutch detective is Van der Valk.  I suppose there was the first series of Baptiste too.

On 10/17/2021 at 8:33 PM, puddlethumper said:

Front pipe on my 305 van broke off from the back box and was scraping the road. Fuck me it's loud. Bugger.

I remember when the front pipe on my Laguna 1 cracked somewhere near the manifold joint.

It started as nicely rorty and seamed happier to rev. As the pipe failed further, it got too loud and very unpleasant.