The grumpy thread

outlaw118

I have lost power to some of my kitchen sockets. Nothing tripped - one double gang still works but not others.

I have a front door that we cannot use because the latch is knackered.

Sick of bastard houses.

10 minutes ago, Bren said:

I have lost power to some of my kitchen sockets. Nothing tripped - one double gang still works but not others.

I have a front door that we cannot use because the latch is knackered.

Sick of bastard houses.

I'd imagine the plug scenario to be something along the lines of the the outgoing conductors have fallen out or lost connection with the terminal for whatever reason. They can melt too which causes a horrible mess.

EDIT- @3VOM beat me to it!

5 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

While I was walking the dog this morning I had what seemed like a good idea for a thread, probably for the Open side.  Can I remember it now?  Guess!

Was it going to be a thread about short-term memory loss?

8 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

While I was walking the dog this morning I had what seemed like a good idea for a thread, probably for the Open side.  Can I remember it now?  Guess!

Welcome to my world, I try to remember things by writing them down, but then lose the bit of paper. Occasionally I find bits of paper with things written on, but the few random words, or phone number with no name make no sense to me.

That wheeler dealers , they buy a TVR for 8 grand and the chassis etc is fucked . 

So they rebuild it and do it all up ..

And put it on the market to make a grand  , FFS , put it up for 20 grand I was screaming at the telly and them come down ...

No wonder they are still doing up cars 

While driving home I twatted the nearside mirror on a branch going 30MPH. Absolutely buggered the adjustment mechanism inside as you can now twist the mirror to face up at the sky or down to the ground. I've adjusted it best I could, but I bet going over a bump will render it useless again.

3 hours ago, Fumbler said:

While driving home I twatted the nearside mirror on a branch going 30MPH. Absolutely buggered the adjustment mechanism inside as you can now twist the mirror to face up at the sky or down to the ground. I've adjusted it best I could, but I bet going over a bump will render it useless again.

I took the car out on a shakedown run after replacing the fuel filter and emulsion tube. Predictably the mirror slumped downwards upon the first bump, so it's effectively useless. I have a spare at the unit. It's a little green but it will work.

21 hours ago, MikeR said:

That wheeler dealers , they buy a TVR for 8 grand and the chassis etc is fucked . 

And put it on the market to make a grand  , FFS , put it up for 20 grand I was screaming at the telly and them come down ...

Wheeler dealers? Did you watch the last Edd video on YT? He brought back the Paul  man. The guy that helped with the mechanics. It turns out he was more than a helper. He went and ascertained if the car was a viable project before the show purchased it. Time to dump the Mike.

On the latest series they purchase a XJ6. Had to replace the twin tanks. The cost was meant to be 150 squid each. Look at the prices on line and that is total fabrication. They are double or triple that.

You can watch the series on YT.

22 hours ago, MikeR said:

Complete bullshit show that, One of the early episodes they blagged that they found a pair of mint MK1 MR2 front wings in the correct red for £20 each that were obviously brand new and freshly fucking painted. If I ever meet Brewer he's getting reminded of the fact !

Just used two compression testers to test the 1.2 12v Polo engine. Not good results for cylinder 3 with a 50 psi lower result. I would love to rebuild the head but the costs of doing that and everything you have to replace is about the value of the car (we bought it 700 nearly 2 years ago for my son to learn to drive in and get him college after passing his test).

Still drives well with working aircon and a sporty exhaust but now a misfiring time bomb. 

20211017_115705.jpg

18 hours ago, Timewaster said:

Although I like to watch it, Wheeler Dealers is a fake as Eastenders or one of those stupid videos on Facebook that say For entertainment only. 

Same. I like watching it and find it entertaining and interesting to see some of the cars they do, but it is a load of bollocks really. The costing at the end is laughable sometimes.  And they never factor in labour costing.
It’s how they do it all though and fix stuff that bugs me, I’m restoring a car right now, as we speak and I can 100% assure anyone that what happens on TV shows is most definitely not what happens in real life! You never see them finding rusted to buggery fixings, bits missing, bits fitted wrong/badly, rust falling into your eyes while lying on your back under the car on the driveway etc etc. 

I remember one show where they bought a VW van, or camper. The guy who sold it was on a forum which I was on, when I had my air cooled Beetle. After the show had aired the guy on the forum was well pissed off, he said that they paid him much more than they said on tv.

Then there was the Mercedes slk, with the dodgy roof mechanism and various bits like a steering rack (or something) they bought for it. They replaced some other parts without even mentioning it the show.

Possibly the second worst show was Goblin workshop, how to chav up a motor in a weekend!! 
the worst? In my opinion was thIs one where these two guys (in the same garage/ lock up as Goblin workshop?)

gave up their day jobs and  bought a car with the intention of doing it up over 7 days maximum. If we can’t do it in 7 days it gets binned.

so, they spent about £600 on  a replacement cambelt kit and wheel refurbished… then scrapped the car!!

I was totally dumbfounded, absolute fucking idiots.

4FFF9A59-E18E-4D0B-A6CE-DEADF1112E07.jpeg

30 minutes ago, carburettor said:

they spent about £600 on  a replacement cambelt kit and wheel refurbished… then scrapped the car!!

That was the Alfa 155.
I quite liked that show until I watched that one. The two blokes doing it came across quite well but like all these car resto shows on TV the whole thing was in dreamland as far as accuracy and costing went.

EPs1rhQWoAASmmK.jpg

Yes I remember that flipping bangers. 

They cubed the car still with the wheels they had just paid to refurbish. 

There are so many flaws in that format. 

1. Buy shitter. 

2. Take pictures and put on ebay. 

3. Fix the old shitter. 

Nonsense. I still like to watch it though. 

Utter balls that it is, it beats watching Midsomer murders. 

22 hours ago, Timewaster said:

Although I like to watch it, Wheeler Dealers is a fake as Eastenders or one of those stupid videos on Facebook that say For entertainment only. 

Are you saying that Eastenders is Fake.? Next it will be that there is no Father Christmas.

2 hours ago, Timewaster said:

Yes I remember that flipping bangers. 

They cubed the car still with the wheels they had just paid to refurbish. 

There are so many flaws in that format. 

1. Buy shitter. 

2. Take pictures and put on ebay. 

3. Fix the old shitter. 

Nonsense. I still like to watch it though. 

Utter balls that it is, it beats watching Midsomer murders. 

One car has survived Flipping Bangers.

When i watched the show I used to look up the bodged car's reg on the DVLA. Something did not add up. Sometimes the MOT was not valid or it had falied the MOT recently. Not taxed so the car was not on the road, shortly after airing.

It now seems that Richard Hammond (Hamster) is now going to be doing a restoration car show.