The grumpy thread

outlaw118

5 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Two pints of vodka in 15 minutes might* lead to some form of alcohol poisoning surely?

My only hope is they both start bragging that it was obviously made up and both have perjured themselves. We'll see I guess.

The other thing is next time she won't be so lucky as within 6 months it will definitely happen again. I'm sure the police will be on the look out and she will have a few random* stops

4 children in the car as well.

Thieving Amazon delivery drivers. Ordered a new Nintendo Switch for the family. Attempted* delivery twice, both times we were all in, absolutely no chance that we or the dog would have missed a knock on the door. I suppose it’s easy money for them, pretend they couldn’t deliver it then it vanishes from the depot and reappears on eBay. I’m done with Amazon they need to start using reputable delivery firms not agency fly by nights.

I've grumped about them before so XLN for small business. I urge anyone do not deal with these twats. 

My contract for phone and broadband had ended so I tried to cancel with this provider in June as the service was rubbish. Finally got email conformation they were no longer my provider in July, the account was settled and to ignore any further bills. Beginning of September I got a bill from XLN. £0.00 phoneline,£0.00 broadband, £0.00 for some guff they made up but £3.50 +vat for paper billing. Well the email said to ignore it so I did.

Today I get an urgent reminder to pay this bill. It is now £29.90 , they want £10.00 because I had cancelled the direct debit plus the £3.50 and another £3.50 for this paper bill plus some other made up charges and then vat on top. Complete and utter twats and robbing bastards. Phoned them up to be told it's probably arrears. Told them the only arrears are for a paper bill for a service they don't provide. Looks like I've gotta go all Ofcom on them again.

1 hour ago, Agila said:

Somebody avoiding a drink drive conviction.

1. Have a crash.

2. Go to a friend's house. (As you do)

3. Drink 2 pints of Vodka. (As you do)

4. Not guilty. Shamelessly celebrate outside the front of the Court.

About as plausible as Shaggy.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/accountant-claimed-she-downed-two-122621208.html

Jesus wept...how the other half live.

When we had a run in with the bill a few years ago following a family member suffering a nervous breakdown (which we'd been saying was going to happen and had been unsuccessfully trying to get mental health support in place), we were told in no uncertain terms that the "burden of proof" to prove innocence laid with us.  So much for innocent until proven guilty. 

Only victims in this case were an unfortunate fox - the collision with which was what triggered the whole event unfolding and a set of car keys that were never found.  In the middle of the countryside before 6am.

So seeing nonsense like that really pisses me off...like really *really* pisses me off.

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

Does seem to have gone up...but Toolstation still have you covered for £3.49.

Linky

God only knows how much B&Q etc are charging...

We have a local one, I'll pop in this week.

It does seem odd, sealant in Wickes - at least £4 a go. Decorators caulk £1 each, 12 for a tenner.

Obviously I bought one, it's good stuff for when your ideas are more grand than your skill level 😆

3 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

we were told in no uncertain terms that the "burden of proof" to prove innocence laid with us. 

Absolute pure and utter horseshit.  If that sort of phrase came up in court the judge would possibly throw the entire case out.  There is absolutely no way in the world that anyone has to prove their innocence, especially in a motoring case.  Either the CPS can prove a case or they can't.  That sounds like a member of the Fuzz being a cunt.  As some of them have a habit of being.

Ma is with virgin mobile for her phone. Idiot sister rings the land line with one of her OMG! You're not dead! Can't get thru to you on mobile! over the top bullshit. Subsequent investigation reveals phone not receiving calls but can phone out fine. Reboot does nothing. Virgin forum full of other people with same issue.

So my logical mind says virgin have fucked up somewhere and will fix it in due course. 

Idiot sister keeps ringing house, with nonsense. You've dropped off the network!!!! You need to contact them now!!! Ma is in panic mode. Which means I'm expected to fix it somehow. I'm supposed to be fucking MacGyver and fix everything, toilets to light aircraft landing on the roof. Because I can't fix it due to nothing being broken here I'm getting the death stares and sighs every 5 seconds.

16 hours ago, jakebullet said:

Ma is with virgin mobile for her phone. Idiot sister rings the land line with one of her OMG! You're not dead! Can't get thru to you on mobile! over the top bullshit. Subsequent investigation reveals phone not receiving calls but can phone out fine. Reboot does nothing. Virgin forum full of other people with same issue.

So my logical mind says virgin have fucked up somewhere and will fix it in due course. 

Idiot sister keeps ringing house, with nonsense. You've dropped off the network!!!! You need to contact them now!!! Ma is in panic mode. Which means I'm expected to fix it somehow. I'm supposed to be fucking MacGyver and fix everything, toilets to light aircraft landing on the roof. Because I can't fix it due to nothing being broken here I'm getting the death stares and sighs every 5 seconds.

However did anyone survive in pre-mobile days.

17 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

They got on the landline, or went to stick 10p in a phone box, or - and this may come as news to some - wrote letters to each other......

My level of sarcasm didn't come over properly.  I've stuck 5p in a phone box before now.  I am old*

*ish.

53 minutes ago, myglaren said:

A to connect, B to get your money back.

I'm old enough to remember them. But do you remember party lines, where you had a phone, but a shared line with someone else, only one of you would be able to connect at any time, so if your neighbour was a gas-bag you couldn't call anyone and they couldn't call you (My grandparents had one, luckily when they changed to a three digit phone number they got their own line)

My sons 2006 Polo 1.2 3 cylinder has got a misfire at idle on cylinder 3. I have misplaced my decent compression testing kit so bought a cheap one off cheapbay that doesn't work so now am working my way up in price to find one that does
I don't really want to know the answer to compression on cylinder 3 either as low readings kill these cars at this age and value. We paid £650 2 years ago.

6 minutes ago, louiepj said:

My sons 2006 Polo 1.2 3 cylinder has got a misfire at idle on cylinder 3. I have misplaced my decent compression testing kit so bought a cheap one off cheapbay that doesn't work so now am working my way up in price to find one that does
I don't really want to know the answer to compression on cylinder 3 either as low readings kill these cars at this age and value. We paid £650 2 years ago.

I'm sure you know the reason it's shuddering at idle... I assume you've swapped coil packs and plugs around?

I changed the valves on one a few months back and don't think I'd bother again; it's a surprisingly involved job for an engine the size of a microwave.

43 minutes ago, Rusty_Rocket said:

I'm sure you know the reason it's shuddering at idle... I assume you've swapped coil packs and plugs around?

I changed the valves on one a few months back and don't think I'd bother again; it's a surprisingly involved job for an engine the size of a microwave.

They are great at knocking out their cats. Plus, like most 3 cylinder engines, they sound like a four with one cylinder broken.

Yes i swapped coils and put new plugs in last week and we have been monitoring it and it only shows a pending code for cylinder 3 and only shows the eml for a brief moment as he is coasting up to a junction on his way back from college.
VCDS misfire counter at idle just steadily ticks up though.

They are great at knocking out their cats. Plus, like most 3 cylinder engines, they sound like a four with one cylinder broken.
The cat was fine 6 months ago when I had to remove the manifold to tap a new thread in the downpipe section as I fitted a new exhaust.
And it only passed its mot a few weeks ago with no issues then on emissions.
But it is a Volkswagen etc

I do sypathise.  I've had to fix two 3-cyl VAG wonders* now and despise that little sewing machine of an engine.  They sound awful IMO and the valve burning is the tip of the iceberg; once you've had the head done it'll need a new chain and all the associated bits.  Just the parts and machining on the last one came to £400.

To add insult to injury, the repaired one is drinking a litre of oil every 500 miles.  No leaks, no smoke, just disapearing.  My guess is the owner drove it with a 'limp' for so long, it bore washed the cylinder and killed the rings.  Did I mention it's done 60k from new?

I'm afraid I'd be running it until it goes pop and weighing it in, unless the rest of the car is exemplary...

3 hours ago, anonymous user said:

I'm old enough to remember them. But do you remember party lines, where you had a phone, but a shared line with someone else, only one of you would be able to connect at any time, so if your neighbour was a gas-bag you couldn't call anyone and they couldn't call you (My grandparents had one, luckily when they changed to a three digit phone number they got their own line)

Yup, Dad's Mum was SPR (Spring Park) 777 2874. Party line with the next (semi-detached)door.

Never in though, always out at Bridge, Church, Croquet or Badminton. On bicycle or Vespa. Into her 90's. <Shudders> RIP

8 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Yup, Dad's Mum was SPR (Spring Park) 777 2874. Party line with the next (semi-detached)door.

Never in though, always out at Bridge, Church, Croquet or Badminton. On bicycle or Vespa. Into her 90's. <Shudders> RIP

Obviously not your Grandmother (scandal notwithstanding) but I once knew a Nun like that called Sister Mary (can you think of a more generic name?).  Out and about on her scooter, habit flapping around with a crash helmet on, well into her 80s when I knew her.  Quite a character to say the least...