The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Bob the builder next door has m11's round for drinkies and shoutalong to boom boom music*. However 97% of the noise is coming from the back garden full of little bastards darling children, who are obviously doing monkey see, monkey do. Don't know if the kids are drunk out of their gourds too, or just high on red bull.

On 09/10/2021 at 07:41, artdjones said:

UFS7QEPj.jpg.a0b51d456ef57b0a5aa6543098f2c616.jpg

Drop the glove compartment out of the way and you should see as above. Cut out the piece of dash surrounded by perforations and you will gain access to the door of the filter compartment. That's the only way to make sure you have one fitted. You may find someone has been there before and done the cutting out for you.

I think you just  cut along the slots to remove the panel , this will expose a screw that holds the pull out holder/filter .

I thinks the panel is just in to keep the bits square whilst its assembled ..

as for the blower motor  , I had fun with mine in the far past and as a result took some readings ...

IMGP0217.thumb.JPG.1f213d80dfe6b80d21af2127fbf3d385.JPG

Thursday morning while walking my dog I found a silver ring on the pavement.  I posted on Facebook about it.  I tried to post it as a "found" notice on one of the local selling groups, but they didn't accept it because it wasn't an item For Sale.  Someone else reposted it for me and it was accepted, go figure. 

Anyway: I've had no messages claiming it.

For the last 2 days I have woken up to no hot water, but had no time to investigate. 

Just got home and thought I'd have a nose around the tank heater (with the electrics isolated, of course). 

IMG_20211010_210941.thumb.jpg.7c29c5f1e6b458935a36e4012aa2564d.jpg

Ah, yeah. That'd do it. 

That was professionally* installed in January this year.

8 minutes ago, Crackers said:

For the last 2 days I have woken up to no hot water, but had no time to investigate. 

Just got home and thought I'd have a nose around the tank heater (with the electrics isolated, of course). 

Ah, yeah. That'd do it. 

seen that before on a friends system , replaced the wire with some beefier stuff and all was fine

house is still there as well

19 minutes ago, Crackers said:

Ah, yeah. That'd do it. 

Looks like a high-resistance connection betwixt live cable and the terminal it was in.  Cable thickness is likely absolutely fine, just the terminal screw wasn't tight.

New immersion now though.. That heat will have traveled into the unit and done unknown damage.

51 minutes ago, Crackers said:

thermally reconfigured

that made me chuckle :) going to have to use that at some point :)

sounds like something Rolls Royce would say "it did not catch fire it merely thermally reconfigured itself"

(see also RUD, Rapid unscheduled disassembly...)

7 hours ago, Fumbler said:

Shit, that's nasty. Glad it didn't go up in flames. Why people don't check to see if their connections are good and tight anymore is beyond me.

It probably was when installed 10/20 years ago.  50hz mains can (and does) cause connections to loosen/soften over time.  It's impossible to re-check every single connection in a home on a regular basis.

1 hour ago, Talbot said:

It probably was when installed 10/20 years ago.  50hz mains can (and does) cause connections to loosen/soften over time.  It's impossible to re-check every single connection in a home on a regular basis.

It's the same with electric shower connections, usually on the neutral side. This is mainly down to people not tightening the connections enough.

13 hours ago, MikeR said:

I have soldered in a LED strip !!!

There's a bloke over the road with a 14 year old BMW that he imported from Poland.

He replaced lots of bulbs with LEDs and they flash for a few minutes when he starts it and when he shuts it off.

A peculiarity of some LEDS perhaps.

I got given notice to quit my rented garage yesterday so need to find somewhere else to keep my camper and clear out the other stuff i have in there. The joys of renting. Been renting it for 5 and a half years and it's so close to home it's ideal, I suspect the camper will be on the drive this winter as garage's don't come up very often around here 

5 hours ago, myglaren said:

There's a bloke over the road with a 14 year old BMW that he imported from Poland.

He replaced lots of bulbs with LEDs and they flash for a few minutes when he starts it and when he shuts it off.

A peculiarity of some LEDS perhaps.

That's the ECU checking for blown bulbs.  It sends out a weak electrical pulse to each bulb to check for continuity - it's not enough to light the filament of an incandescent bulb, but LED bulbs (or the cheapo eBay specials anyway) have much lower resistance so the pulse is enough to make them flicker.

Somebody avoiding a drink drive conviction.

1. Have a crash.

2. Go to a friend's house. (As you do)

3. Drink 2 pints of Vodka. (As you do)

4. Not guilty. Shamelessly celebrate outside the front of the Court.

About as plausible as Shaggy.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/accountant-claimed-she-downed-two-122621208.html

Sounds like the prosecutors did a rubbish job at presenting the case to the Magistrate. Which can happen.

Still, getting your face splashed all over the news looking smug and 'celebrating' probably isn't a smart idea - the court of public opinion might see things a little differently...

5 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Two pints of vodka in 15 minutes might* lead to some form of alcohol poisoning surely?

My only hope is they both start bragging that it was obviously made up and both have perjured themselves. We'll see I guess.

The other thing is next time she won't be so lucky as within 6 months it will definitely happen again. I'm sure the police will be on the look out and she will have a few random* stops

4 children in the car as well.

Thieving Amazon delivery drivers. Ordered a new Nintendo Switch for the family. Attempted* delivery twice, both times we were all in, absolutely no chance that we or the dog would have missed a knock on the door. I suppose it’s easy money for them, pretend they couldn’t deliver it then it vanishes from the depot and reappears on eBay. I’m done with Amazon they need to start using reputable delivery firms not agency fly by nights.

I've grumped about them before so XLN for small business. I urge anyone do not deal with these twats. 

My contract for phone and broadband had ended so I tried to cancel with this provider in June as the service was rubbish. Finally got email conformation they were no longer my provider in July, the account was settled and to ignore any further bills. Beginning of September I got a bill from XLN. £0.00 phoneline,£0.00 broadband, £0.00 for some guff they made up but £3.50 +vat for paper billing. Well the email said to ignore it so I did.

Today I get an urgent reminder to pay this bill. It is now £29.90 , they want £10.00 because I had cancelled the direct debit plus the £3.50 and another £3.50 for this paper bill plus some other made up charges and then vat on top. Complete and utter twats and robbing bastards. Phoned them up to be told it's probably arrears. Told them the only arrears are for a paper bill for a service they don't provide. Looks like I've gotta go all Ofcom on them again.

1 hour ago, Agila said:

Somebody avoiding a drink drive conviction.

1. Have a crash.

2. Go to a friend's house. (As you do)

3. Drink 2 pints of Vodka. (As you do)

4. Not guilty. Shamelessly celebrate outside the front of the Court.

About as plausible as Shaggy.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/accountant-claimed-she-downed-two-122621208.html

Jesus wept...how the other half live.

When we had a run in with the bill a few years ago following a family member suffering a nervous breakdown (which we'd been saying was going to happen and had been unsuccessfully trying to get mental health support in place), we were told in no uncertain terms that the "burden of proof" to prove innocence laid with us.  So much for innocent until proven guilty. 

Only victims in this case were an unfortunate fox - the collision with which was what triggered the whole event unfolding and a set of car keys that were never found.  In the middle of the countryside before 6am.

So seeing nonsense like that really pisses me off...like really *really* pisses me off.