The grumpy thread

outlaw118

52 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

Surely you'd just say you were shopping or picking something for the wife and that would be the end of it, MB fraud is rife I know of a couple of people who have MB cars and the people who should be benefiting from their use have never actually been in the car and one of them lives in a different county,  I hardly think that what you want to do ranks up there with that.

Isn't it whether you have disability VED? 

Sister in law is blind.  Has a mobility car which her husband uses to drive her about. He also uses it for work, visits to go bird watching, taking the grandkids to hospital.  I had no idea what taxation class it's in. 

2 minutes ago, New POD said:

It's like the older staff are trying to protect the younger staff, and the younger staff don't give a shit about the older staff. 

Standard procedure. 'The fat man with yellow hair said we don't have to if we don't want to..' etc. Obviously Boris has incorrectly assumed that the younger generation would be considerate towards their elders, which was naive on his part. 

2 minutes ago, New POD said:

Isn't it whether you have disability VED? 

Sister in law is blind.  Has a mobility car which her husband uses to drive her about. He also uses it for work, visits to go bird watching, taking the grandkids to hospital.  I had no idea what taxation class it's in. 

VED may come into it if they decided to prosecute, but the contract is between the disabled person and Motability.

It's a while since I read a contract, but basically the vehicle is for the use of the disabled person, and can be driven by a person named on the Motability insurance, but only for a purpose which  benefit's the disabled person.

It could possibly be argued that going to work and taking grand kids benefits your SiL  Bird watching I'm not so sure. 

https://www.motability.co.uk/about/how-the-scheme-works/how-your-vehicle-can-be-used/

1 hour ago, New POD said:

Went into Tesco yesterday.  All the younger staff without masks. All the over 60 staff with masks, same with the customers. 

It's like the older staff are trying to protect the younger staff, and the younger staff don't give a shit about the older staff.  That'll be team work then? 

It's none of my business, really. I don't care whether people wear a mask or don't- we are free to assess the risks to ourselves as an individual and act upon the risk accordingly.

29 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

It's none of my business, really. I don't care whether people wear a mask or don't- we are free to assess the risks to ourselves as an individual and act upon the risk accordingly.

So, if you worked with people who might be more vulnerable than you, you'd  happily not assess the risk you are to them.  That will be the ME society.  

1 hour ago, New POD said:

So, if you worked with people who might be more vulnerable than you, you'd  happily not assess the risk you are to them.  That will be the ME society.  

I am allowed to assess the risk to myself. If I am fit and healthy and am not ill, am I a risk to anybody else? I don't think so.

Edit: I'll add that I originally wrote "we assess the risk to ourselves" implying every individual assesses the risk to themselves and acts accordingly, hopefully meaning everyone feels that they're doing the right thing for themselves and others. In the eyes of the law, those that choose to wear a mask and those that don't are both right- That's why I say people's decisions to wear or not to wear one is none of my business.

1 hour ago, Mally said:

VED may come into it if they decided to prosecute, but the contract is between the disabled person and Motability.

It's a while since I read a contract, but basically the vehicle is for the use of the disabled person, and can be driven by a person named on the Motability insurance, but only for a purpose which  benefit's the disabled person.

It could possibly be argued that going to work and taking grand kids benefits your SiL  Bird watching I'm not so sure. 

https://www.motability.co.uk/about/how-the-scheme-works/how-your-vehicle-can-be-used/

Thank you sir; that information is very clear and basically describes what we normally do with the car.  Although I have done it, and will occasionally continue to do until my next Roffle win, I still have misgivings about using the Suzuki for my garage clearance; it could be argued that MrsR will see a benefit down the line when I no longer have to pay rent on the lockup, but that's bordering on nebulous, to me.  So a random day out, just me and my sister, 50-100 miles from home... that's really stretching it thin.  I did it last year when I had my Batmobile drive at Wigan.  The drive to and from Seven Sisters was more stressful than it needed to be, for the reasons described above.

The rental option looks good on paper but actually would cost more than just filling Huggy's tank, and I do like to give Huggy a good run.  Both he and I benefit.  But, his wipers are rubbish (always have been, it's common on older American cars) and he leaks a bit, so his use is weather-dependant.  Saying that... I've got a meeting in town this morning, it's not raining and there may well be parking space nearby.  Less than two miles each way, but it'll be the first time I've started the engine in nearly three weeks...  (If I don't take Huggy I don't plan on taking the Suzuki either; I'll ride my bike.  It's close enough to be achievable.)

Just had a thought about this, by the way... you might be wondering why MrsR doesn't just come with me.  The answer is, for the same reason my brother-in-law Kevin doesn't: it's brother-sister time.  We're all each other has left and we barely spoke for nearly 20 years, so we want to make some good memories for ourselves.  Neither of us has any blood-children (both mine are step, from MrsR's first marriage); both our parents are long gone, as are almost all our dad's siblings (we think there's one auntie left; he had three unmarried sisters, one married without kids and two brothers, one of whom married late and had no kids; the other had three who are all in our age bracket).  Our mum was an only child.  So we are quite keen to spend quality time together.

TMI?  Sorry!

If we leave it a few more weeks I could call it a Christmas Shopping Day...

@Mally: a book?  LOL!  MrsR wasn't brought up to enjoy reading for pleasure and therefore doesn't now, she never has.  Which actually upsets me because Sis and I were, and have always done so.  I know what my beloved is missing and can't imagine how bare her life is because of that.  But yes, I get what you meant, thank you.

7 hours ago, Fumbler said:

That's the spirit. As long as you're ok, eh? 

This is the very reason we're in this bloody mess.

1 minute ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Micras running rich, refusing to idle when cold or warm RPM all over place even with a known good TPS.  

I've flat out given up, I will sort out the fucking thing being fragged and give up on cars for a bit.

You have the patience of a saint, it clearly wants to die. Just let the fucker go and get something (anything) else. 

57 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

That's the spirit. As long as you're ok, eh? 

This is the very reason we're in this bloody mess.

Who am I to judge others? They might not be wearing a mask for a myriad of reasons, whether it be a disability, mental health or otherwise. It doesn't matter to me and it's none of my business: the law says I am as justified in not wearing one as someone who is. I'm living in a free country that gives me the right to make my decisions and get on with life. That's the bottom line.

Just now, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Not too sure what too get, will take time to get the money together as well.  

Going to sorn the fucker end of this month, and likely have it fragged before Xmas to be rid of it, I could put on a spare TB unit i have here, but when @NorthernMonkey had this unit on the car it refused to settle to an idle without hopping.

Fragged, you say? I'd like some bits plz! Heck, if I had the space is break it myself.

5 minutes ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

I'll let you know when it's fate is sealed before the scrap man comes for it.   Is some talk about someones buddy trying another TB unit on it for a hail Mary.

Something's telling me the computer's fucked but I imagine it might be something else. Ideally I'd like the rear parcel shelf, front grille and some other bits, but in reality I'd really love so many things.

Since the fuel panic buying began I haven't been able to purchase a drop of unleaded because everytime I go out to find some, the three nearest fuel stations are dry.  Today was a little different since two of them had diesel, and were then sold out completely within half an hour.  It's absurd.  Still, I've got 70 miles estimated range in the Maestro so I'm still good for a bit and there's some fuel in the (still broken) Princess if I really get desperate.  I suppose I could just chuck a new head gasket on the Princess and hope for the best, it's everything-exempt now after all due to its age and it'd be nice to drive it again.  I just cba with yet more engine work on that car.

35 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

Who am I to judge others? They might not be wearing a mask for a myriad of reasons, whether it be a disability, mental health or otherwise. It doesn't matter to me and it's none of my business: the law says I am as justified in not wearing one as someone who is. I'm living in a free country that gives me the right to make my decisions and get on with life. That's the bottom line.

And therein lies the problem. It's generally recommended that masks are worn in public indoor places yet many, particularly the younger generation, have interpreted the guidance as 'only wear a mask if it's a legal requirement'. 

I see my mask wearing as basic etiquette. If the guidance is generally to be a decent person and wear a mask if mixing in a confined place, aside from the tiny percentage of the populous who have a genuine medical reason to not wear one, I interpret the remaining mask non-wearers as lacking in basic etiquette.

19 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

And therein lies the problem. It's generally recommended that masks are worn in public indoor places yet many, particularly the younger generation, have interpreted the guidance as 'only wear a mask if it's a legal requirement'. 

I see my mask wearing as basic etiquette. If the guidance is generally to be a decent person and wear a mask if mixing in a confined place, aside from the tiny percentage of the populous who have a genuine medical reason to not wear one, I interpret the remaining mask non-wearers as lacking in basic etiquette.

Thanks for that, it helps me see the other side of the arguement. While I don't entirely agree with what you've said, it's at least a reasoned argument.

As a young adult I've looked at all the information I could get, the risk of harm people could do to me and the harm I could do to them. I took into account things like my own health, mental health, family health and other things. I looked at the facts I had, considered what was in front of me, weighed up the pros and cons and I made my decision. I still believe it was the right one. I decided not to judge anyone who chose to do things differently to me because we're human and different, and we have the freedom of choice to do what we think is best for ourselves and others.

25 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

we have the freedom of choice to do what we think is best for ourselves and others.

Government guidance updated 17th September 2021. 

You're misinterpreting the recommendations. 

Recommendations rely on people being trusted to be sensible and to follow them. 

That's the issue we have in the UK. 

Screenshot_20211008-191126_Chrome.jpg

4 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

I hear you, but you will find that if you offer respect, you will be respected.

Very true. So far I've found that I'm treated the same as I always have been. I respect people's decisions and people respect mine, which is nice! I might be lucky, but who knows.

Let me highlight that the distribution of mask wearers varies from area to area and shop to shop and, therefore, subjective observations based solely on the people within a single shop or a limited area as seen by a single observer are highly unlikely to provide anything like a representative sample size from which to draw nationally applicable conclusions. 

Let me also highlight that government guidance has changed on a regular (sometimes daily) basis during covid and that the guidance has been and continues to be wildy contradictory and/or somewhat nonsensical in various areas. It should come as no surprise that, after 18 months of almost constant change, significant proportions of the population (across all the age ranges) either have no idea what the current guidance is or have completely given up trying to comply with it.

On 10/7/2021 at 7:41 AM, artdjones said:

Only the first time. We sold a base model 02 Micra to a woman who came back complaining that the car took ages to demist. It turned out to still have the original pollen filter in after 9 years. We had never even thought to look as it was a non a/c model. But it only required a few tabs to be snipped through. 

Where on a 2001 micra vibe 1.0 would it be.... I couldn't see one 😕

4 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Where on a 2001 micra vibe 1.0 would it be.... I couldn't see one 😕

UFS7QEPj.jpg.a0b51d456ef57b0a5aa6543098f2c616.jpg

Drop the glove compartment out of the way and you should see as above. Cut out the piece of dash surrounded by perforations and you will gain access to the door of the filter compartment. That's the only way to make sure you have one fitted. You may find someone has been there before and done the cutting out for you.

26 minutes ago, artdjones said:

UFS7QEPj.jpg.a0b51d456ef57b0a5aa6543098f2c616.jpg

Drop the glove compartment out of the way and you should see as above. Cut out the piece of dash surrounded by perforations and you will gain access to the door of the filter compartment. That's the only way to make sure you have one fitted. You may find someone has been there before and done the cutting out for you.

Is that up where the heater motor resistor is? Also is there a simple fix for the lcd display on the radio cassette, other than a large hammer 😬