The grumpy thread

outlaw118

I've been chasing an intermittent starting problem on my Mini MPI. Sure enough, when I turn the key to start it fires up first time 🤦‍♂️. Now I have to remove the dashboard to get to the immobiliser. Normally this isn't and issue but I'm really struggling with back pain and Mini's are not known for being the most comfortable of vehciles to start off with.

1 hour ago, Blake's Den said:

I've been chasing an intermittent starting problem on my Mini MPI. Sure enough, when I turn the key to start it fires up first time 🤦‍♂️. Now I have to remove the dashboard to get to the immobiliser. Normally this isn't and issue but I'm really struggling with back pain and Mini's are not known for being the most comfortable of vehciles to start off with.

You need a bigger car......😉

3 hours ago, mintwth said:

Changing the the pollen filter on an automatic Saab 9-5 automatic. Enough to make anyone grumpy. 

Who thought that was a good design, eh? 

Mk2 Focus is an absolute arseache.  Actually, it's more of a headache as you have to dangle yourself upside down into the passenger-side footwell after hinging the fusebox down and cutting your knuckles in the dark.  It's behind the centre console.  Much worse if you're a fat fuck like me and all the blood rushes to your head.  Once you've done it, you'll get up and fall over with the headrush.

Then never, ever do it again.  Sod that.

House.

These all happened over a few weeks..

Shower started leaking- fixed

Bath cold feed - Burst pipe, so replaced

Bath sealant- split, ragged out and re-sealed.

That must be it right? . NOPE.

Shower switch failed (1hr before i needed to be in work, so mad dash to screwfix etc before work)

Front door barrel failed - Replaced

And last week the boiler 🙈

So yeah, I'm now piss poor 😅

.... ooh yeah and the dog decided to cost me £65 at the vets too 😲😅. No more horrible surprises please life 

6 hours ago, mintwth said:

Changing the the pollen filter on an automatic Saab 9-5. Enough to make anyone grumpy. 

Who thought that was a good design, eh? 

Could be worse. Could be a K11 Micra where you have to take a hacksaw and cut off part of the dashboard.

6 hours ago, Spiny Norman said:

Could be worse. Could be a K11 Micra where you have to take a hacksaw and cut off part of the dashboard.

Only the first time. We sold a base model 02 Micra to a woman who came back complaining that the car took ages to demist. It turned out to still have the original pollen filter in after 9 years. We had never even thought to look as it was a non a/c model. But it only required a few tabs to be snipped through. 

9 minutes ago, MikeR said:

we did over 1000 notes in one visit and the dog still died ....... 

Yes, we paid €450 last year and ended up with a dead dog. An x-ray found a large liver tumour, which was game over.

What was annoying was the suggestion that we had an additional ultrasound at another €200, just to make sure. Which was €50 more than my wife had paid for a private ultrasound 3 months before.

Actually had to go out today on a journey which involved both public transport and walking around a busy city.

This was an interesting experiment for me as it basically was a way of questioning whether it was vaguely comfortable going beyond my immediate local vicinity for essential journeys only.

Answer is an absolute immediate and resounding no.

If someone else had not been relying on me I'd have turned right back around the moment I stepped onto the platform at the train station and saw how many folks were waiting.  Wasn't quite standing room only but not far off.

Just absolutely did not feel even remotely safe.  The antivax propaganda sticker on the train window next to the seat I was in was a nice touch.  I couldn't see a single person wearing a mask from where I was sat on either the outward or return trips.

My ability to deal with crowded places and such has always been minimal but it's just absolutely non existent now.

Feel utterly inescapably trapped here and cannot forsee any course of events which is going to change that.

58 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

My ability to deal with crowded places and such has always been minimal but it's just absolutely non existent now.

Me too.  My sister is proposing a meetup (we live 130 miles apart) and our normal routine would be to both get trains to where we're going, usually Preston.  I don't feel that using the train under current conditions is a safe thing to do, and my claustrophobia is doing nothing other than getting stronger by the day.  We could probably go by car if the petrol situation was anything like normal, except that would cost me an arm and a leg because I don't have a daily any more, just Huggy and the Motability car.  Huggy is thirsty; I don't feel I can use the Motability car for my own leisure purposes, because it's in MrsR's name.  Sister had (last time I saw her) a then-new Pug 108, so thirst is less of an issue for her, she just doesn't much like driving.  I'm coming round to the same opinion after spending most of my working life behind the wheel!

4 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Actually had to go out today on a journey which involved both public transport and walking around a busy city.

This was an interesting experiment for me as it basically was a way of questioning whether it was vaguely comfortable going beyond my immediate local vicinity for essential journeys only.

Answer is an absolute immediate and resounding no.

If someone else had not been relying on me I'd have turned right back around the moment I stepped onto the platform at the train station and saw how many folks were waiting.  Wasn't quite standing room only but not far off.

Just absolutely did not feel even remotely safe.  The antivax propaganda sticker on the train window next to the seat I was in was a nice touch.  I couldn't see a single person wearing a mask from where I was sat on either the outward or return trips.

Feel utterly inescapably trapped here and cannot forsee any course of events which is going to change that.

Anything to do with TfL requires you to wear a face covering. Everything to do with National Rail (soon GBR) doesn't, at least that's what the TfL signs at London Paddington say. Even though the Tube requires it, it can't be enforced due to the sheer weight of people travelling through the system. Personally, I'm happy to see crowds again. It actually feels like we're returning to what was very nearly a distant memory. The last 18 months have, for me, been absolutely horrible.

3 hours ago, Jazoli said:

You can use the Motab car all you like in reality Eddy, no-one checks on you, the petrol thing is back to normal too, all the stations in the area now have fuel :)

Only if for the disabled persons benefit. 

If you have an accident whilst alone in the car, questions may be asked.

However if Eddie was collecting  something that his wife needed, or wanted from Eddies sister...

Anytime you are alone in the car Eddie, always have a reason that can be confirmed by someone else, (your wife will do) before you set off.

Edit,

My late wife had an insatiable urge to buy Ghia wheels on ebay to give to my son for his birthday at one time.

Can you pick these up from...............please?

2 hours ago, Fumbler said:

Anything to do with TfL requires you to wear a face covering. Everything to do with National Rail (soon GBR) doesn't, at least that's what the TfL signs at London Paddington say. Even though the Tube requires it, it can't be enforced due to the sheer weight of people travelling through the system. 

I was on the Choob on Saturday.  Almost nobody was wearing a mask.

1 minute ago, wuvvum said:

I was on the Choob on Saturday.  Almost nobody was wearing a mask.

Same when I was there. It seems only at quieter hours is the rule actually enforced, because that's the only time they can. Not a single Underground staffperson challenged anyone, either.

2 hours ago, Mally said:

If you have an accident whilst alone in the car, questions may be asked.

See, that's what bothers me.  I have always been risk-averse.  I won't do stuff I can't justify to myself somehow, especially if a different path is already laid down in black and white in paperwork that lives in the car.  Also, my "luck" being what it is, you can bet money that at some point in such a trip, I would indeed have an accident.  Regardless of degree or fault, it would be seen as my fault because I simply shouldn't have been there.  Not alone anyway.

The other day I had a Writers' meeting, in the middle of town as usual.  I parked as close as I could, which was still several streets away, and walked the rest with my tripod.  I had taken the Suzuki because the chances of finding a Huggy-sized space are supermodel-thin.  MrsR derived no benefit from that excursion; she wasn't with me and wouldn't have wanted to be.  I suppose one could argue that she gained a couple of hours of peace away from me... but if someone had popped out of a side road and taken the front off the Suzuki, where would I stand?  The scenario isn't as unlikely as it may sound, it's what killed my lovely Scarlet Skateboard MR2 a few years ago (an incident about which I am still burning with rage).

All the above is why I've tried so hard all this time to keep a cheap daily for my own use.

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but could you hire a car?

I guess it’s not the £40 or whatever the daily cost is, but all the deposits etc they would require of you that might an issue. 

I should add I haven’t hired a (non-classic) car in the U.K. for about 15 years now….

I suspect you need a credit card now for a start. 

3 weeks after losing my bike keys, nearly getting a divorce, turning the house upside down, drinking heavily and admitting I must have early onset Alzheimers I replaced all the locks on the bmw bike, a week after replacing all the locks on my bmw bike.  Susan Boyles slightly more eccentric sister stops me on the street outside my house to ask if I've lost some keys... that she found 3 weeks ago outside my house..

4 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but could you hire a car?

I guess it’s not the £40 or whatever the daily cost is, but all the deposits etc they would require of you that might an issue. 

I should add I haven’t hired a (non-classic) car in the U.K. for about 15 years now….

I suspect you need a credit card now for a start. 

You're right, I could; although the cost is an issue, even without whatever deposit would be involved.  You're also right about the credit card.  I don't want to load mine any more than they are.  I'm already struggling to make even minimum payments.

It's absurd.  Neither of us is keen to drive (even assuming I used a rental) and one of us wants to avoid the train.  There are times I feel like I'm my own worst enemy, and he's winning.

7 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

See, that's what bothers me.  I have always been risk-averse.  I won't do stuff I can't justify to myself somehow, especially if a different path is already laid down in black and white in paperwork that lives in the car.  Also, my "luck" being what it is, you can bet money that at some point in such a trip, I would indeed have an accident.  Regardless of degree or fault, it would be seen as my fault because I simply shouldn't have been there.  Not alone anyway.

The other day I had a Writers' meeting, in the middle of town as usual.  I parked as close as I could, which was still several streets away, and walked the rest with my tripod.  I had taken the Suzuki because the chances of finding a Huggy-sized space are supermodel-thin.  MrsR derived no benefit from that excursion; she wasn't with me and wouldn't have wanted to be.  I suppose one could argue that she gained a couple of hours of peace away from me... but if someone had popped out of a side road and taken the front off the Suzuki, where would I stand?  The scenario isn't as unlikely as it may sound, it's what killed my lovely Scarlet Skateboard MR2 a few years ago (an incident about which I am still burning with rage).

All the above is why I've tried so hard all this time to keep a cheap daily for my own use.

Surely you'd just say you were shopping or picking something for the wife and that would be the end of it, MB fraud is rife I know of a couple of people who have MB cars and the people who should be benefiting from their use have never actually been in the car and one of them lives in a different county,  I hardly think that what you want to do ranks up there with that.

41 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

Surely you'd just say you were shopping or picking something for the wife and that would be the end of it, MB fraud is rife I know of a couple of people who have MB cars and the people who should be benefiting from their use have never actually been in the car and one of them lives in a different county,  I hardly think that what you want to do ranks up there with that.

There have been problems in the past with people using them outside of the agreement rules.

But as you say If Eddy was collecting a newspaper/knitting wool/ packet of crisps for his wife he is perfectly within the law.

8 hours ago, Fumbler said:

Same when I was there. It seems only at quieter hours is the rule actually enforced, because that's the only time they can. Not a single Underground staffperson challenged anyone, either.

Went into Tesco yesterday.  All the younger staff without masks. All the over 60 staff with masks, same with the customers. 

It's like the older staff are trying to protect the younger staff, and the younger staff don't give a shit about the older staff.  That'll be team work then?