The grumpy thread

outlaw118

3 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Okay, can this fuel bullshit be over now please? 

Really kicking myself for not just brimming the tank in everything when I first heard rumours of it now.  Instead I opted to do the right thing, not contribute to the problem and stayed away from the pumps.  Now I'm suffering for that decision.

Got a couple of longer runs I need to make this week and unless things change dramatically over the next day or two they're going to have to be scrubbed.

I'd really expected it to be a couple of days of madness while everyone who wanted to filled up, then everything would start getting back to normal because anyone who wanted fuel would already have it.

How is it still this crazy?  Where are people putting it all?!?  Filling bath tubs, paddling pools, fishtanks and kitchen sauce pans?

I mean I have seen someone putting fuel in pop bottles, so I guess the madcap storage solutions from the US have probably been implemented too...

But Boris says it's all sorted now...

50 minutes ago, Remspoor said:

You could make it a fuel injected 2.8 then.... I will get me coat.

It's already got one of those boat anchors fitted !

My would be buyer is now telling me it's his favourite car. Good news! If you type ford capri into ebay you can buy one from somebody that wants to actually sell you one!

wait a minute... if that technique works can I get a testarossa for £100 by telling a current owner I've wanted one since playing outrun in 1986? 

2 hours ago, Lankytim said:

..... Isn’t it mostly the SE that’s still mired down with it all? 

London has excellent* public transport. Let them eat cake.

1 hour ago, beko1987 said:

+1 on Facebook being down!....

Going to be a long night for the techies. WhatsApp also down since about 5pm.

1 minute ago, Fumbler said:

Oh dear
image0.png?width=216&height=467

I would joke but I would almost guarantee that some clueless member of staff will call me tomorrow asking why they can't log into Facebook.  And I'll have to politely tell them that it's got nothing to do with me and just because it's on a computer doesn't mean that the magical IT man can fix it...

5 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

I would joke but I would almost guarantee that some clueless member of staff will call me tomorrow asking why they can't log into Facebook.  And I'll have to politely tell them that it's got nothing to do with me and just because it's on a computer doesn't mean that the magical IT man can fix it...

I can imagine there will be many IT deskpeople and teccies tearing their hair out at relentless questions like that.

Meanwhile, this chap has said this could turn out to be a communications war, which sounds fun
https://www.simonparkes.org/post/urgent-social-media-down-over-75-of-the-planet

Now, I'm taking that page with a few pinches of salt but I suppose it's something to consider. Somebody, somewhere, has had a field day fucking around with Facebook.

I wouldn't mind seeing non-Internet connected telephone exchanges and the postal system etc. having a resurgance but I'm pretty sure that'll just stay as a weird dream of mine.

https://blog.cloudflare.com/october-2021-facebook-outage/

Facebook's DNS provider has a good rundown of events from a technical perspective. Rather interesting to see the ins and outs of the failure. It points to someone in Facebook themselves disconnecting the website from the Internet entirely.

11 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

Just heard from a friend over in the US there are reports of it being an attack from the inside. If that's true, their safety culture is pretty poor. Laughbly poor.

It has long been recognised that the biggest cyber risk for any company is generally going to be the "disgruntled employee". 

Incidentally, I'd be surprised if Facebook had a safety culture. Lives don't depend on anything they do.

4 minutes ago, mintwth said:

It has long been recognised that the biggest cyber risk for any company is generally going to be the "disgruntled employee". 

Incidentally, I'd be surprised if Facebook had a safety culture. Lives don't depend on anything they do.

This is true, I supose I should have said "data safety culture", as in clear desk policies, leaving screens off and accounts locked when unnattended etc. The Facebook mothership is gigantic AF so I shouldn't be too surprised that it's happened.

Missed all the excitement.  As usual as I don't use any of that stuff.

Facebook has struggled back online today, though at the time of writing glitches are still very much a part of The Social Network™ experience.

WhatsApp and Facebook became available to users at around 2210 UTC on October 4 after falling off the internet some six or so hours prior. Instagram and Facebook Messenger should be not far behind.

In the past hour, Facebook tweeted: "To the huge community of people and businesses around the world who depend on us: we're sorry. We’ve been working hard to restore access to our apps and services and are happy to report they are coming back online now. Thank you for bearing with us."

CTO Mike Schroepfer earlier said: "Sincere apologies to everyone impacted by outages of Facebook powered services right now. We are experiencing networking issues and teams are working as fast as possible to debug and restore as fast as possible."

The Register

I get at least one daily email from them but that was never mentioned.  Odd as they are generally quite gleeful when such fuckups occur.

Wasps . 4 of them on the unit this morning at 630am , 1 drops when sprayed , the f in 2nd when sprayed attacked me and stung my ear , then the 3rd one went haywire when sprayed and got finished with a fly swat , the 4th got swatted , f in ear still hurts ...