The grumpy thread

outlaw118

On 10/1/2021 at 8:58 PM, eddyramrod said:

All of which involves waiting... and waiting... and waiting...  Literally no part of this process is as straightforward and clear as it needs to be.  By a long distance!

I'm finding out how much bureaucracy /inefficiency and bullshit the system entails, attendance allowance first applied for 3/3/21, confirmation letter 2/8/21,, first payment due 1/9/21,,, another letter 2/10/21 the payment for the 1/9/21 will be paid in soon..... Not backdated to when applied for, as promised and even now first payment is delayed.... How the fuck do they expect elderly vulnerable people (I don't mean me!) to cope with all this shit.... 😠

6 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

PXL_20211003_142933863.thumb.jpg.bad4985639fbec59c30e12e6a5c0d4fc.jpg

Latest instalment of "Grandma's trail of destruction" brings us this fresh damage from yesterday. Up at the front the recently painted bumper is now being used for contact parking with the hot water cylinder's guardrail.

Forward facing exhaust and red lights on the front.. what is she driving 🤔🤔

2 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Forward facing exhaust and red lights on the front.. what is she driving 🤔🤔

I wouldn't be surprised if she's driving in reverse. In fact, quite a lot of the gatepost is now blue.

3 hours ago, Fumbler said:

PXL_20211003_142933863.thumb.jpg.bad4985639fbec59c30e12e6a5c0d4fc.jpg

Latest instalment of "Grandma's trail of destruction" brings us this fresh damage from yesterday. Up at the front the recently painted bumper is now being used for contact parking with the hot water cylinder's guardrail.

My grandmother's final car was a Toyota of some sort back in 2003. By the time she passed away about eighteen months later I believe the roof and bonnet were the only panels which hadn't been replaced or repainted. My favourite was when she thought she'd clipped the level crossing gates but carried on anyway. My cousin and I wandered out into the garage to have a nosy. Turns out she'd caught the entire nearside on one of the gate hinges (properly old fashioned level crossing at the time, manually opened gates) and there was a clean three quarter inch rip in the metal from front wheel arch to tail light, like opening a tin of Spam with a key. 

Since when did shower curtains not need to be waterproof? Just bought one from Asda and after one shower the bathroom floor was soaked, and when I checked I discovered the water just goes straight through it.
Why did this seem like a good idea?

Luckily I couldn't be arsed to take the old one out to the bin so it can go back up meantime.

1 hour ago, eddyramrod said:

Because they CBA to make UK-specific variations?  Most car makers do the same these days.

Ford have done this for years.  If you look closely, their adverts always show a car with a mirrorable number plate (like UV 080 VU or similar) so they can just reverse the image where needed and make it look like a RHD car very easily)

12 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Aldi. TV ads, not uk spec. LHD, not uk spec. Why waste money showing in the uk? 

Fairly sure that advert with the woman on the piano as he reverses in to the garage is a RHD Vulva?

I can't stand the rain, against my windows rear clusters.... 

Bringing back sweet memories mistiness... 

Thought one rear cluster looked a bit misty after the rain the other day. Had a closer look, the lens has parted company with the back of the sealed* unit. Checked the other cluster.... Same.... Nuts

Okay, can this fuel bullshit be over now please? 

Really kicking myself for not just brimming the tank in everything when I first heard rumours of it now.  Instead I opted to do the right thing, not contribute to the problem and stayed away from the pumps.  Now I'm suffering for that decision.

Got a couple of longer runs I need to make this week and unless things change dramatically over the next day or two they're going to have to be scrubbed.

I'd really expected it to be a couple of days of madness while everyone who wanted to filled up, then everything would start getting back to normal because anyone who wanted fuel would already have it.

How is it still this crazy?  Where are people putting it all?!?  Filling bath tubs, paddling pools, fishtanks and kitchen sauce pans?

I mean I have seen someone putting fuel in pop bottles, so I guess the madcap storage solutions from the US have probably been implemented too...

14 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Really kicking myself for not just brimming the tank in everything when I first heard rumours of it now.

Got a couple of longer runs I need to make this week and unless things change dramatically over the next day or two they're going to have to be scrubbed.

I know I mentioned it before so forgive if you have already seen my comment and its not workable, but incase it was missed

I seem to recall the BX had a near full tank of fuel when it arrived, I wonder if it might be worth syphoning that off into TPA? 

since a Model 70 will run on anything even if a few octanes have escaped! :) 

and I think with some careful driving you can get about 200 miles on a Tank in a Model 70, by which point im sure you will have found at least 1 petrol station somewhere to top her up along the way? :) 

(you could also syphon the rest of the fuel into some 20L Jerry cans and chuck those into the footwell/wheelchair stowage area, although I imagine the fireball would be most impressive if you ended up finding the wrong end of a lorry or something!)

this is like a real life version of The Long Drive video game LOL

9 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

I know I mentioned it before so forgive if you have already seen my comment and its not workable, but incase it was missed

I seem to recall the BX had a near full tank of fuel when it arrived, I wonder if it might be worth syphoning that off into TPA? 

since a Model 70 will run on anything even if a few octanes have escaped! :) 

and I think with some careful driving you can get about 200 miles on a Tank in a Model 70, by which point im sure you will have found at least 1 petrol station somewhere to top her up along the way? :) 

(you could also syphon the rest of the fuel into some 20L Jerry cans and chuck those into the footwell/wheelchair stowage area, although I imagine the fireball would be most impressive if you ended up finding the wrong end of a lorry or something!)

this is like a real life version of The Long Drive video game LOL

These are both runs of around that distance and involve a minimum of one passenger plus cargo.  So a single seater isn't an option.

Not exactly friendly weather for driving that car either.

Honestly I'm not touching the fuel in the BX unless I have absolutely no other choice.  For all I know it's been in there since the 90s.  It definitely smells like it has been.  Main reason I've not drained it already is that it will be doing a good job of keeping condensation at bay.  No idea whether the car will run on it beyond shunting around the driveway...fresh fuel will be getting added before we attempt to run to the MOT station.

It's not going in anything else unless it's a last ditch life and death situation.  I've got more than enough broken cars right now without tempting fate.

Had someone collect an ebay item today. Later I get a message "Is the capri for sale?" No. that's why there's a fucking fence round it, as a clue like.

Ma then says "It's only going to rack & ruin".

Oh do fuck off mother dear. When someone spots a capri and immediately asks if it's for sale what they really mean is do you know the value of capri's or can I get it off you for under scrap metal value?

If I was to sell to a rigger boot wearing moron the following would happen: It appears on ebay on the back of a recovery truck with a ridiculous price for a kerching! flip. When it doesn't sell, someone wakes up to find their capri has gone missing and my vin tag is going ring a ding ding. The rest of my capri then ends up in bits on ebay and the shell weighed in.

It makes me smile to walk past it every day. £100 from some pikey does not make me smile. I don't believe in debt, so my saving to buy a house for cash fund is currently around the 100K mark. £100 is fuck all.

TLDR: My fucking car, I can do what I want with it.

Day 3 of an persistant lowlevel headache and feeling utter cral (even by my standards)

@eddyramrod  hold on and keep going. Took me 3 goes to get my PIP sorted as well as various other fun times dealing with UC and ESA. The system is geared up to make it shall we say difficult to  qualify. I did chortle to myself when I found out I had been eligible for DLA since I had my accident at 16, but its date if application not from when you got ill/broken somonly 19 years late.

I have a roll of 10mm twin and earth for sale on FB and I was communicating with a prospective buyer on a collection time tonight, just as I sent the message with the address Facebook goes down. Apparently WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram and messenger are affected. Bollocks. I think he was pretty serious too. 

14 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

Some bright spark has cut through the main internet cable in Bridgwater, meaning none of the 3 campuses have Internet and won't for some time. Oh well, glad I have 4G- what? 80% of my data used up!? Damnit.

Facebook server there by any chance?

7 hours ago, Talbot said:

Ford have done this for years.  If you look closely, their adverts always show a car with a mirrorable number plate (like UV 080 VU or similar) so they can just reverse the image where needed and make it look like a RHD car very easily)

Nissan ads usually had the plate 80 MXM 08 for this reason. Complete symmetry. 

3 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Really kicking myself for not just brimming the tank in everything when I first heard rumours of it now.  Instead I opted to do the right thing, not contribute to the problem and stayed away from the pumps.  Now I'm suffering for that decision.

I'd really expected it to be a couple of days of madness while everyone who wanted to filled up, then everything would start getting back to normal because anyone who wanted fuel would already have it.

How is it still this crazy?  Where are people putting it all?!?  Filling bath tubs, paddling pools, fishtanks and kitchen sauce pans?

I mean I have seen someone putting fuel in pop bottles, so I guess the madcap storage solutions from the US have probably been implemented too...

But Boris says it's all sorted now...