The grumpy thread

outlaw118

36 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

And almost everything else really.

In 1985 my wife's boss flew the whole company to Sweden for a very long day trip , I took about £100 worth of krona , I think I bought a coffee and came back with most of it  , it was the same stuff as here ( except for little wooden horses,) at 3x the price 

6 minutes ago, Wack said:

In 1985 my wife's boss flew the whole company to Sweden for a very long day trip , I took about £100 worth of krona , I think I bought a coffee and came back with most of it  , it was the same stuff as here ( except for little wooden horses,) at 3x the price 

Sweden is cheaper than Norway many in Norway and especially those who live near the border shop in Sweden as it is much cheaper.

17 hours ago, jakebullet said:

There's huge signs everywhere saying no smoking.

It's just poor planning.

Making the whole area a no smoking zone is never going to work because people aren't going to walk half a mile for a smoke. It can't be enforced because what are you going to do? Throw patients off the property? So the rules get ignored because there is no functional alternative.

20 minutes ago, captain_70s said:

It's just poor planning.

Making the whole area a no smoking zone is never going to work because people aren't going to walk half a mile for a smoke. It can't be enforced because what are you going to do? Throw patients off the property? So the rules get ignored because there is no functional alternative.

Maybe I'm used to Barnsley hospital which does throw people out. You see patients in the bus shelter outside with drip stands and oxygen cylinders.

If staff are going to just step out the door and light up it's no wonder patients do too.

14 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Since one of you picked up a GR Yaris today, I checked the price for fun in Norway on this one. 562,000 kroner or 47,710 pounds that is almost what the house I live in did cost. Then checked the price of a regular Yaris (it is only possible to buy a hybrid here now) and it starts at NOK 257,400 or 21,851 pounds. New car prices here are absolutely insane.

If it makes you feel better, the price for a Vios (Yaris saloon, basically) in Singapore starts at $100,808, which is £55,126 or NOK 652,782...

Tyre shop trying to rip my daughter off. I went in and we ordered two fronts, they fitted all four when she went in her own. “Rears looked bad mate”. They’re still legal and we didn’t want them changing. Made them fit the old ones on the back, but fuck me did they grumble. Why can’t people just do as they’re told?!

then…

Sister wants to replace her old but ok CRV with a newer one. Went to a large garage who had one in stock. New-ish car. Underside utterly rusted to bollocks. Never seen anything like it. “Oh it’s just surface rust” says the suit, but it’s coming off in scabs. Wasted my time.

Ffs.

Today I had hoped to get quite a bit of progress made on the car front.

Instead I discovered that our kitchen has been infested with grain mites.

IMG_20210930_162650.thumb.jpg.a5a23e805f8a39d9f7df059ace4c4c4b.jpg

See those little specs of dust?  They're not specs of dust...evidenced by the fact that they move.

So instead of car work I have spent the entire damned day systematically extracting, cleaning, relocating to elsewhere in the house every...single...item from the kitchen.

Reckon I'm about 2/3rds done with that phase.  Then it's going to be a matter of spraying down anything and everything we can get access to with a scalding hot water/vinegar mix.

We reckon based on where Ground Zero appears to be that this is a free gift that came with a take away we ordered at the end of last week.  Lovely.

Another fun day at Jimmy's hospital. Supposed to be a quick check that the Mrs's cataract operation went well. We're in the queue to get into the department and she goes downhill very quickly. 0 to unwell in 60 seconds type stuff.

Her pressure was 62 which is a soupcon high going on how many bods appeared to fix it straight away. Unfortunately it took four hours, lots of drops and 2 different IVs to get it down to 22. Going back again tomorrow for more checking.

Just got back from my first post-covid gig, and while it was rather excellent, the grump comes from the amount of people stood watching through their phone screens, recording everything. By all means take a quick snap for the memories or maybe even a quick clip from your favourite hit, but the folks sat directly in front of me must have recorded most of the show.

Fortunately, the act in question (Paloma Faith for those wondering) was encouraging the audience to sing along. I hope they enjoy their video footage with the soundtrack of a fat bloke enthusiastically but terribly belting out Stone Cold Sober.

4 minutes ago, Markeh said:

Just got back from my first post-covid gig, and while it was rather excellent, the grump comes from the amount of people stood watching through their phone screens, recording everything.

Have you been in a pub on a friday or saturday night any time the past 5 years?, It's horrendous for this.

Groups of (especially) women at a table, basically just having a modelling shoot. It's not a social thing or enjoying a few drinks any more, 1 round of drinks will last them hours because they're just using them like props for instagram pics and snapchat.

They will then often end their night early because their battery is low and they can't take any more pics or vids. The whole night is just about stuff to put on social media and when they can't do that, it's over.

I guess at least it's cheap.....

Just now, Mrcento said:

Have you been in a pub on a friday or saturday night any time the past 5 years?, It's horrendous for this.

Groups of (especially) women at a table, basically just having a modelling shoot. It's not a social thing or enjoying a few drinks any more, 1 round of drinks will last them hours because they're just using them like props for instagram pics and snapchat.

They will then often end their night early because their battery is low and they can't take any more pics or vids. The whole night is just about stuff to put on social media and when they can't do that, it's over.

I guess at least it's cheap.....

I'm generally too drunk to notice what groups like this are doing when I'm in a pub on a Friday or Saturday night.

Clearly been knocked back for a job i thought i was in with a real good chance for. Have the qualifications, the experience etc, all above and beyond what would be required for the role. I was effectively pre-interviewed for it before the job was even advertised.

End of the day, the people working there need to make decisions, who they'll work with etc, Maybe i wasn't the best fit in their eyes, maybe they feel somebody can do it cheaper, fine, their call.

What really pisses me off is not even getting an acknowledgement.

I have a feeling the head of the department just thinks i'm more qualified than he is.

3 hours ago, Mrcento said:

Clearly been knocked back for a job i thought i was in with a real good chance for. Have the qualifications, the experience etc, all above and beyond what would be required for the role. I was effectively pre-interviewed for it before the job was even advertised.

End of the day, the people working there need to make decisions, who they'll work with etc, Maybe i wasn't the best fit in their eyes, maybe they feel somebody can do it cheaper, fine, their call.

What really pisses me off is not even getting an acknowledgement.

I have a feeling the head of the department just thinks i'm more qualified than he is.

Get in contact. Being assertive can’t be held against you if you think it’s already a lost cause. They may rethink if you’re that keen,

On 9/28/2021 at 5:55 PM, eddyramrod said:

Wife's birthday today.  She's 66.  Yesterday we got a letter telling us her ESA will stop because her state pension should begin.  Consequently I spent all afternoon on the phone and gov.uk trying to sort out the mess this is going to leave us in.

She's spent most of today in bed, ignoring drinks I've taken up for her, and her cards and prezzies, to punish me for not having a new and better line of income ready to step in.  Like I'm some kind of financial expert all of a sudden!  So today I've been doing the same again, with what seems very little effect.

Why the fuck is the benefit system specifically designed to exclude anyone and everyone who might actually need it?

You shouldn't be any worse off though eddy, it's just that they take the pension into account when assessing ESA.

I used to get Carers allowance for my wife, but when my OAP started I lost the Carers allowance.

Yes , you don't get the rise you are expecting, but you don't get a drop.

There may of course be other things affected in your case, that I am unaware of.

I don't think the name of the actual benefit is going to be any sort of issue.  I don't care what they call it as long as there's something coming in!  The issue (I don't want to describe it as a "problem" yet in case it gets sorted out quite quickly) is the suddenness with which her ESA has stopped, the lack of notice we received and the absence of any immediate substitute.  And of course the impenetrability of The System which is so unfit for purpose it could be something I designed!

It appears we did "apply" for her pension some months ago, so the claim is "in progress."  I have my PIP application in, and in a week and a half they're proposing to assess me by telephone (how comprehensive!).  I've also started an application for ESA in my own name, but that may yet have to be converted to UC.  All of which involves waiting... and waiting... and waiting...  Literally no part of this process is as straightforward and clear as it needs to be.  By a long distance!

31 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Get in contact. Being assertive can’t be held against you if you think it’s already a lost cause. They may rethink if you’re that keen,

Sadly, There's no point.

I know the guy who got the job (That's the only reason i know i have missed out). I know there isn't going to be a second one suddenly appear or a reconsideration. + i don't really want there to be anyway, i wish the boy all the best. He's a good lad and i'm genuinely happy for him.

He's a fair bit younger than me. 14 years younger to be precise. I suspect that alone has massively played into his advantage, I'm coming from more of a position of having tons of managerial experience in other industries, freelance work etc.

They most likely want somebody who'll just do the job and not chip in above that or be a possible challenge to them later down the line.

I don't think they want somebody coming in they fear could end up being a hot potato or would potentially start wanting to be changing stuff, or having lead teams, start becoming almost the de facto head and be a threat to the current one etc. It wouldn't have been an issue, but i get it.

I had my reasons to apply to such a role that was on paper a fair step down in seniority from what i'd been doing for years.

I just wanted a change. I wanted to go back to what i originally wanted to do but fell out of years ago.  For 5-6 years, i've been working in totally different industries, sometimes under extreme pressure, emotional and physical exhaustion, going into days not knowing if i'd have a team of 20 people or have to do it all myself all day long. Just having to adapt. It's wearing. The whole Covid thing allowed me to step away from it and reassess. I just don't want to do that sort of work any more.

It was sort of a one hit/last shot affair for me. If i can't get roles like this one at 33 because i'm a mix of too old/too senior/over qualified, then i sure as hell don't have a chance whenever role comes around again in 2-3 years time and i'm 36 and probably have even more experience. It's done for me.  Such is life. We all get knocked back, we move on.

I'm more pissed at their lack of balls to even say 'Thanks for your interest but we've decided to go in a different direction' etc. As said, i feel they just want to avoid giving a potentially awkward reason and calling them out/pushing them on it would just be burning bridges.

And there's always the chance that a role comes up elsewhere in another department that i can do standing on my head that i do end up getting, and if so, I can remind them every single day about it 😉😇😂

11 hours ago, MikeR said:

spent the week setting up an evenings entertainment on the qt  ..

big screen , games , food , snacks .......

one cries off

another drops off a toddler to be looked after ....

And you'll be surprised at how this fact has impacted my life.  My wife was supposed to be going round to this event. Instead we had The first takeaway we've had since March 2020. 

All was going well until, at the end of the evening I decided to replace all three smoke alarms in the house. Because one of them wouldn't start beeping in the middle of the week whilst I was away. And it turns out it had a sticker on saying replace by November 2011.

To start with I replace the batteries every year or so, so should have seen the label and replaced them all as soon as I saw it and not wait for it to be a problem

This got my wife going on about me leaving for the week and not doing things that I should have done.  

There's a whole list if things that I should have, could have, would have, done, if it were not for .... well, they weren't her priority so ignored them.  

And ended up in me saying something* I didn't intend to say that has got her screaming at me and wishing we had got divorced.  

I realise that Sunday is the anniversary of her (And MikeR's wife's) Dad's death, and her emotions are off the fucking scale, but I can't really do this shit no more. 

*after some long list if what I haven't done and how it impacts her, ranging from my garage is a tip and she can't find anything, to,  I told her we had sand paper, but then took it away in the boot of my car for a week. All I which proves to her I don't love her. I foolishly said. "Well it don't show much love from you to be pointing out all the things I've done wrong in the past" 

Trivial I know, but attempting to put up a coat hook in our Laundry I've been through 4 different ever increasing sizes of rawlplugs (other brands are available) into the 10mm plasterboard wall. All have spun and just made the hole bigger. Shitty thin Australian plasterboard in timber framed houses. (And I used to complain about our flat in Wapping built using concrete blocks with flint aggregate) The next step is cut a hole in the wall to thread in some 1/2" marine ply glued to the rear of the plasterboard with no more nails. And for good measure I start Radiotherapy for throat cancer on the 18th and I have to give up smoking before that. In the words of Hugh Grant "Fuck fuck fuckety fuck fuck". 

1 hour ago, jon928se said:

Trivial I know, but attempting to put up a coat hook in our Laundry I've been through 4 different ever increasing sizes of rawlplugs (other brands are available) into the 10mm plasterboard wall. All have spun and just made the hole bigger. Shitty thin Australian plasterboard in timber framed houses. (And I used to complain about our flat in Wapping built using concrete blocks with flint aggregate) The next step is cut a hole in the wall to thread in some 1/2" marine ply glued to the rear of the plasterboard with no more nails. And for good measure I start Radiotherapy for throat cancer on the 18th and I have to give up smoking before that. In the words of Hugh Grant "Fuck fuck fuckety fuck fuck". 

Can you get hold of these where you are?

ae235.jpeg