The grumpy thread

outlaw118

I'd quite like a bit of petrol. I mean, it's not a major issue if I can't get any, but the whole thing really is getting a bit daft now.

I'd also like it to not rain for a minute or two so I can knock back a small area of failed paint on one of the MX5's sills and paint it in temporarily until I have time to do a proper job. I was going to do it ASAP but all it's done since I bought it, is bloody piss down. 

Wife's birthday today.  She's 66.  Yesterday we got a letter telling us her ESA will stop because her state pension should begin.  Consequently I spent all afternoon on the phone and gov.uk trying to sort out the mess this is going to leave us in.

She's spent most of today in bed, ignoring drinks I've taken up for her, and her cards and prezzies, to punish me for not having a new and better line of income ready to step in.  Like I'm some kind of financial expert all of a sudden!  So today I've been doing the same again, with what seems very little effect.

Why the fuck is the benefit system specifically designed to exclude anyone and everyone who might actually need it?

9 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

If you're not keen on Firefox, Vivaldi is very good.

I used to use Firefox. Then when I reinstalled windows I tried opera.

Oddly I can't access the pdfs in ff either. Same error as opera, but an ancient version of IE and edge work fine.

They both download and view them fine, but neither will preview the contents through outlook.

No big issue really just annoying as both used to.

16 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

Yesterday we got a letter telling us her ESA will stop because her state pension should begin.  Consequently I spent all afternoon on the phone and gov.uk trying to sort out the mess this is going to leave us in.

I hope there is a Pension Credit qualification that brings this back up for her, but I don't know. Try:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/help-if-on-a-low-income/pension-credit/before-you-claim-pension-credit/check-if-you-can-get-pension-credit/

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/

Thank you for that!  It's not looking viable for Pension Credit, but once her pension actually starts coming in that might change.  Meanwhile I have applications in for both PIP and ESA, although it's been suggested to me this morning that I might have more chance of Universal Credit than ESA.  Again, I'll have to wait until my application has been processed to find out, and work out what to do next.  It's a jungle, and I'm ridiculously easy to confuse these days. 

Fortunately I'm now in touch with a locally-based Disability Association who seem very capable and helpful.

25 minutes ago, eddyramrod said:

Thank you for that!  It's not looking viable for Pension Credit, but once her pension actually starts coming in that might change.  Meanwhile I have applications in for both PIP and ESA, although it's been suggested to me this morning that I might have more chance of Universal Credit than ESA.  Again, I'll have to wait until my application has been processed to find out, and work out what to do next.  It's a jungle, and I'm ridiculously easy to confuse these days. 

Fortunately I'm now in touch with a locally-based Disability Association who seem very capable and helpful.

Always winds me up that you've got to do all the leg work.

If you or a loved one you care for are genuinely unable to work, you should be assisted in claiming the correct things.

My old man can't work due to various things (fucked back, pissing blood etc) - He's a bit of a fool and feels ashamed when claiming for anything (after working 20+ odd years beforehand) , and both him and mum have no idea what they can and can't claim. Yes even the local Citizens Advice ain't helped.

Yet the rather rotund woman down the road with about 12 kids, has a lovely new Zafira all paid for 🤷‍♂️.

Sorry to go off on one Eddy 🤣, but hope you get it sorted mate, as seems the genuine and nice ones get fobbed off.

I understand your dad's position!  I don't like having to claim stuff, I was brought up to support myself if at all possible, and now that I can't, I feel a very intense sense of failure.  Which is something nobody wants to admit to, but there, it's out now.  I failed.

3 minutes ago, Minimad5 said:

My old man can't work due to various things (fucked back, pissing blood etc) - He's a bit of a fool and feels ashamed when claiming for anything (after working 20+ odd years beforehand) , and both him and mum have no idea what they can and can't claim. Yes even the local Citizens Advice ain't helped.

Use the two links above to work out what you can get. My guess is Universal Credit plus some additional benefit based on medical issues.

I'm sorry to hear that CA weren't any help. I know about the stuff I've posted* because in non-Covid times I volunteer for CA and there is a feedback/complaint mechanism if you were not happy with the service.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/contact-us/contact-us/make-a-complaint-about-us/

(* I've also worked on IS, JSA and a local authority housing waiting list.)

The whole of Ardnamurchan only has four Posties..they have to use the Community Centre in Acharacle as the sorting office...three are off work...we've had no post for days...and theres an Amazon warehouse backlog in Ft William apparently.

Non Grump. Petrol 'crisis'' has scared all the tourists away and its now all very quiet...how we like it...

Tbh BBC are filming in my street with Tom Hardy (he is famous or something), they needed a really old bathroom.. which is some backhanded compliment t and a half. Alas.. many cars a lighting van blocking the back acces road and one parked perpendicular to the pavement in front of my gaff. Disruption much.

20210929_143418.jpg

22 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

Wife's birthday today.  She's 66.  Yesterday we got a letter telling us her ESA will stop because her state pension should begin.  Consequently I spent all afternoon on the phone and gov.uk trying to sort out the mess this is going to leave us in.

She's spent most of today in bed, ignoring drinks I've taken up for her, and her cards and prezzies, to punish me for not having a new and better line of income ready to step in.  Like I'm some kind of financial expert all of a sudden!  So today I've been doing the same again, with what seems very little effect.

Why the fuck is the benefit system specifically designed to exclude anyone and everyone who might actually need it?

To put off anyone and everyone who might need it. I always think of my late father in law who had no use of his legs and ended his years in a wheel chair. The first time he applied for a disabled badge he was turned down.

Smoking wankers.

I'm at Jimmy's hospital waiting to collect. There's huge signs everywhere saying no smoking. There's also a group of staff stood next to the sign gasping away.

So I've kept moving locations to get away from smokers. Sat out In  the sun and a woman wheels an elderly patient to the next bench. Aw that's nice. He then pulls out a Jimmy Saville style fuck off cigar and sparks up while she pours him a can of beer. Never see  anything like it.

4 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

ideas how to kick social services up the arse

Unfortunately, @3VOM is right. To get things moving you often have to escalate issues.

A well worded letter/email to your/their councillor, council leader or MP asking if they would be so kind as to investigate why 2 people in a household who are both in need of a stair lift have had to suffer such indignities for 9 months with no sign of any progress can have surprising effects on a constipated process

Since one of you picked up a GR Yaris today, I checked the price for fun in Norway on this one. 562,000 kroner or 47,710 pounds that is almost what the house I live in did cost. Then checked the price of a regular Yaris (it is only possible to buy a hybrid here now) and it starts at NOK 257,400 or 21,851 pounds. New car prices here are absolutely insane.