The grumpy thread

outlaw118

38 minutes ago, eddyramrod said:

Many of them are having their hair cut fairly short around the back and sides - and no problem there, but - they are leaving a heavy mass of the stuff on top, with a peak so low that from across the street it looks like they're wearing a black corduroy flat cap,

Thanks, I though it was only me that think that sort of cut looks stupid.

1 hour ago, eddyramrod said:

Actually, I'll add this, because it's a thing I've only recently noticed.

Young men, by which I mean mid-to-late teens.  Many of them are having their hair cut fairly short around the back and sides - and no problem there, but - they are leaving a heavy mass of the stuff on top, with a peak so low that from across the street it looks like they're wearing a black corduroy flat cap, ...

Similar thing with Afros - shave the sides, but leave unchecked growth on top, so you end up looking like a tree.

The transmission on my Wagon R+ died on me, it's really noisy and jumps from 3rd and 4th. A new one is not an option, as it would cost at least 5 times what the car is worth. But apparently all the 5 speed Suzuki gearboxes are made of the finest Chinesium, thus having problems, and I can't find a 4x4 one in Romania. Looks like I'll have to buy one and turn it into a 4x2, and then hope I'll be able to fix mine.

two bloody letters from Birmingham council this morning, two ULEZ charges for the space, quite how I'm supposed to know what a cloud with a 'D' in it means when I'm trying to navigate through a traffic jam to my hotel after a day at the NEC I don't know. I stupidly assumed the ULEZ was for buses and the like, thee space has done too good a job of convincing me it is a modern and therefore exempt so I've had to appeal but likely to get told to do one (or rather two, as it got me on my way into the hotel and out the next day).

At least Dart has a warning on the sign saying pay within x, the ULEz signs were as clear as mud.

Apparently 112,000 outstanding ULEZ fines for the zone, with huge amounts of them out of towners, apparently I should have known about the brumbreathes website.

Not like I'm a fare dodger, could have paid the £8 and claimed it back from work if they had at least one sign like the crossing with a set of rates/applicable on it.

I'm bored, like unbelievably bored. So I'm looking for a job, part time, full time, doesn't really matter to me. Fuck me is it grim. Loads of jobs I could probably do, but asking for multiple years of experience. What do they pay? Bugger all! Minimum wage or close to it. That there Amazon has loads of jobs listed, both warehouse and driving, but I've not heard good things about either side of things so will be giving that a swerve. Both the local industrial laundry and vegetable packing factory have a few jobs listed but I don't know if they're ideal for someone of my fitness level, which is basically nil. Should have just stayed in IT all those years ago, but such is life.

Spent about an hour trying to change the cabin filter on the C4GP, what an utter ****

It's in two parts and fits in the matrix housing in the centre of the dash, I'm sure if you've got a LHD one it's a doddle   however impossible to feed through the peddle box, steering shaft, managed to get the old one out which a garage had mashed in however I only managed to get one half back in the other one is in the glove box where it will be staying!

I went to a car show today. 

Didn't like it. 

I didn't like it because it was a car show. Rows and rows of Minis, Fords, Beetles and other generic samey stuff. I can no longer be bothered to trudge around all that dross to find the few interesting cars. 

The realisation that most car shows aren't really for me anymore made me a bit sad. A fairly big part of my life, over. 

On 9/25/2021 at 1:29 PM, gm said:

I took some garden waste to the tip the other day and now there is a gang of spiders living in the car :( 

One of the little sods jumped out of the sun visor and scared the shit out of me on the way to work this morning ! 

You think that’s bad…. Using my (very old and repaired) bose wired headphones on yesterday to play CoD on the PS3 and…. What’s that behind my ear?  

eeeeeekkkkk,,,,  Bloody great spider inside the ear cup..  Argggggghhhhhhhh!   Out the window it went.  Scared the shit out of me.  
I’m pretty sure it didn’t go down into my lughole…at least I hope it didn’t.

Finally found a new house, signed all paperwork etc and had 3 weeks before getting the keys. 

Asked previous owner to measure the living room for a sofa, and subtracted 50cm from this measurement for a very comfortable safety buffer to allow for rubber tape measures or general cackhendedness.

Spent £1500 (😵) on a new sofa. 1 month passes, we have the keys and are moving in etc.

DFS arrive this morning. Now I have £1500 worth of sofa that is wedged diagonally in the living room and is 4cm longer than the room is.

FFS

Drop the modern off  for service,  mot.. and several warning lights in the dash. Alas the courtesy car is manual and also almost bone dry fuel wise  so I've the fun of siphoning  some fuel out of the Rover and finding said shitter has a fuel leak at the filter,  15 minutes becomes 2 and a half hours.

On 9/24/2021 at 11:28 PM, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Fancy having a go at entering for Britain's Strongest Man, attaching a harness to your new car and hauling it home? Gradients could be interesting....

As a teenager in the scouts I pulled a triumph dolomite for charity. My scrotum was dragging along the floor.

I'd quite like a bit of petrol. I mean, it's not a major issue if I can't get any, but the whole thing really is getting a bit daft now.

I'd also like it to not rain for a minute or two so I can knock back a small area of failed paint on one of the MX5's sills and paint it in temporarily until I have time to do a proper job. I was going to do it ASAP but all it's done since I bought it, is bloody piss down. 

Wife's birthday today.  She's 66.  Yesterday we got a letter telling us her ESA will stop because her state pension should begin.  Consequently I spent all afternoon on the phone and gov.uk trying to sort out the mess this is going to leave us in.

She's spent most of today in bed, ignoring drinks I've taken up for her, and her cards and prezzies, to punish me for not having a new and better line of income ready to step in.  Like I'm some kind of financial expert all of a sudden!  So today I've been doing the same again, with what seems very little effect.

Why the fuck is the benefit system specifically designed to exclude anyone and everyone who might actually need it?

9 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

If you're not keen on Firefox, Vivaldi is very good.

I used to use Firefox. Then when I reinstalled windows I tried opera.

Oddly I can't access the pdfs in ff either. Same error as opera, but an ancient version of IE and edge work fine.

They both download and view them fine, but neither will preview the contents through outlook.

No big issue really just annoying as both used to.