The grumpy thread

outlaw118

late to the party as ever, having fixed the Daihatsu it was running on fumes so I thought I'd pop to the petrol station to top it up a bit. 45 minutes later I finally got to the pump (filling up on the 'wrong' side!). I wouldn't have minded but its half a mile away!

God almighty. 

My mum replied to my last message very smugly with their Zoe. She piped down when I (in jest and plenty of smily faces so she didnt read the message incorrectly) asked how much the new electricity fuse box and car charger cost them (thousands apparently and they needed it to connect the charger up)

I mean theyll be fine when there is no fuel, but once there is I'll be able to fill up many many MANY times before spending the cost of the work they had done for their £11,000 EV

3 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Just driven past 3 supermarkets with fuel forecourts. Every one queued, blocking the main roads. Can't even get to Sainsberrys to do the weekly shop

I don't know why ministers haven't realised that every one of their "don't panic-buy" announcements actually leads to panic-buying. 

5 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I don't know why ministers haven't realised that every one of their "don't panic-buy" announcements actually leads to panic-buying. 

Media has a hand in this, this was headine news yesterday on the BBC, it's the bog roll crises all over again. The Local quiet Co-op station was jammers too. 

12 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

It's probably because this is the lesser of two evils. If they said nothing, people and the media would critisize them for not calming the public. If they say not to panic, people will complain because it's triggered everyone to do the opposite.

None of my cars have a full tank but when I last filled up -two weeks ago- the super grade fuel was all sold out. Heck, I didn't even know there's a rush to buy fuel. What's going on!?

I think I'll go and crash into the pumps at my nearest forecourt.  Not only would it end any panic as no one round here would be able to get any at all, but it would also create an explosion that would wipe the town out and stop EVERYONE from whinging and arguing like fuck on local Facebook groups.

Was waiting for my car, should have been here at 11.  Thought that son had just gone home so walked round to his - no car.

Thought he might be trying to fill it up, walked back home and car was there.

Went to Sainsburys and it was chokka so down to the Shell station.  Busy as usual but just Friday busy, one in front of me.

Panic at the till, could see something leaking out and hoped it wasn't petrol.  Only water from the aircon fortunately, lot of water though.

Our Alhambraxy fuel light was on this morning and all petrol stations in our local are were already dry except for a shell garage with a £10 fuel limit..... and a Texaco with a long queue but no fuel limit so I joined in and refuelled.
I got £80 in the tank but need to drive around a lot this weekend so will probably be on half a tank by Monday.

Was working with an Italian man last year who didn't speak much English but his car a citroen C3 had broken down (flat battery).
I helped him out gave him a jump-start, got him home and tried charging the battery but it was knackered so I took him to Euro car farts and he bought a battery which I fitted for him. Battery in nice and simple check car is charging OK then bask in glory helping someone out.
Till a week later when the battery is flat.
Turns out the Ignition barrel is failing and sometimes the car keeps running when you take the key out, Full lit dash etc. I charge the battery and play around with the ignition key in the barrel and it starts behaving and working. Explain this all to them tell them to go to a garage or auto locksmith and get the car fixed. They do and get a quote for fixing of about £300+ so don't bother getting it fixed and instead just disconnect battery when it plays up (Citroen positive terminal is quick release clamp).
Yesterday I get message from them asking if battery is still under warranty? I replied yes it will be a 3 year warranty and he will have the paperwork in glovebox hopefully where we left it when he bought it. I stupidly popped in on them as they live in town out of curiosity as I have never had a battery fail so quickly myself.
The car is now not only stuck with ignition on but now is stuck in the cranking position and even when running it continues to crank!!!!!!!!.
Some people just cannot be helped.

Cheap ECP Lion Battery is struggling through this like a champ.

I was only vaguely aware of there being fuel shortages, as I've not left the house in a while I've not needed to buy fuel, I have a third of a tank in the Volvo, that should do me until it's all fixed itself. Failing that I'm eligible for a bus pass. I'd rather drive though.

oh and me  father has reported that the petrol stations in Redcar have all been sucked dry, 

and there are massive queues at the Esso in town and up at ASBO's, both of which are limiting how much fuel you can pump.

luckily* for me, the Rover is on fumes, and i'm SUPPOSED to go back into working at the office on Monday.

i am going to to the right thing, and  not worry bout fuel until then, when hopefully most filling stations round here are dry........

22 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

I wasn't even aware of this nonsense going on until reading about it here...oh what joy.  The only car I currently have with an appreciable amount of fuel in is the one which is currently lacking a camshaft...

Well that will be fun when I next need to go out then.

Syphon fuel from Mercedes into Model 70 which I understand is the most fuel efficient member of your fleet? :) 

(I also seem to recall the BX has/had a full tank of fuel?, although I do wonder what sort of shape its in! but then again a Model 70, with its compression ratio of 6.7:1 will pretty much run on anything vaguely flammable LOL)